IGNORED

$$$Let's Talk Money$$$

snickerz

How much do you think the Duggars are making lately? They have the show, which I've heard generates $30,000+ per episode. Do the married ones get their own salary for being in the show? How much? Then there's the magazine covers, the books, the speaking engagements...

I think Jessa & Jill are raking in the cash lately with the magazine covers. Jessa's doing a bunch of speaking engagements, I think she's a shrewd businesswoman and she's going for the $$ while she can.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was making rice today and thinking about Michelle's "rice 3 ways" around the time that they donated 200,000 to a political campaign which iirc was way back in the early 2000's before the show really took off.

But i was thinking... if they had that laying around to spare and Jim Bob no doubt always keeps a large sum handy above and beyond any political contributions, to snatch up cheap properties to flip... they've been doing very well for over a decade at least.

It seems they've given all their kids a very good grasp on financial matters along with practical skills like automotive repair. Josh and Anna buying the house in his parents' area (that possibly Josiah and his gf might live in?) proves that the financial wizardry has gone to the second generation, imo. That's pretty admirable. Of course they sold their souls, in my opinion, as far as skirting the truth to please TLC storylines... and sold out the privacy and childhood of their kids. :angry-banghead:

That is a super cheap area of the country. With frugal skills and ATI community networking for the basics, this group could have a lot of wealth sitting around for a powerful amount of influence politically. I don't know what ATI feels about the military, beyond their own militia. I often wonder what would have happened if Mitt or McCain had won, militarily. /tangent. But if there are a lot of wealthy families in that subset of society, lifting each other up to power... the income from 19 KAC and all the resulting media income could mean actual societal change, no joke. Esp. at the judicial level.

i just hope it includes mercy and compassion for those trapped in poverty. I get the feeling their ideal society would look a lot like The Help. :shock:

i was making rice today and thinking about Michelle's "rice 3 ways" around the time that they donated 200,000 to a political campaign which iirc was way back in the early 2000's before the show really took off.

But i was thinking... if they had that laying around to spare and Jim Bob no doubt always keeps a large sum handy above and beyond any political contributions, to snatch up cheap properties to flip... they've been doing very well for over a decade at least.

It seems they've given all their kids a very good grasp on financial matters along with practical skills like automotive repair. Josh and Anna buying the house in his parents' area (that possibly Josiah and his gf might live in?) proves that the financial wizardry has gone to the second generation, imo. That's pretty admirable. Of course they sold their souls, in my opinion, as far as skirting the truth to please TLC storylines... and sold out the privacy and childhood of their kids. :angry-banghead:

That is a super cheap area of the country. With frugal skills and ATI community networking for the basics, this group could have a lot of wealth sitting around for a powerful amount of influence politically. I don't know what ATI feels about the military, beyond their own militia. I often wonder what would have happened if Mitt or McCain had won, militarily. /tangent. But if there are a lot of wealthy families in that subset of society, lifting each other up to power... the income from 19 KAC and all the resulting media income could mean actual societal change, no joke. Esp. at the judicial level.

i just hope it includes mercy and compassion for those trapped in poverty. I get the feeling their ideal society would look a lot like The Help. :shock:

This is what kind of confuses me, people on this website will often say how JB is doing well with his investments, they were fine before the show, etc. and, like you said, they had $200,000 to donate to a political campaign.

But I always wonder, WHY was that money NOT used to get more/better/healthier food for their children?! Why were they living in that tiny house? $200,000 is certainly enough money for some renovations and definitely enough to increase the grocery budget.

I don't think I will ever understand these people.

This is what kind of confuses me, people on this website will often say how JB is doing well with his investments, they were fine before the show, etc. and, like you said, they had $200,000 to donate to a political campaign.

But I always wonder, WHY was that money NOT used to get more/better/healthier food for their children?! Why were they living in that tiny house? $200,000 is certainly enough money for some renovations and definitely enough to increase the grocery budget.

Because JB has an inflated ego the size of Jupiter and he and Michelle's favourite (and most likely only activity) is sexy time all freaking day a lot.

Greedy people forsake the needs of others in their quest for MORE.

What's that verse in scripture? It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. I believe that's it. Probably either a proverb or A parable. Whatever. Point is, what would JB say to defend that?

Luckily, the JimBob Duggar political $upport machine has not yet been successful. Considering, those candidates have oftened not been elected and random laws not held up for his beliefs. However, he has produced an army for God and worked hard/been financially clever enough to stockpile a tidy savings account earmarked for his causes. The odds are in his favor; since has the ways, the means and the time to find political successes. His fortune is to provide the basics for his family and provide the most for Jesus.

Luckily, the JimBob Duggar political $upport machine has not yet been successful. Considering, those candidates have oftened not been elected and random laws not held up for his beliefs. However, he has produced an army for God and worked hard/been financially clever enough to stockpile a tidy savings account earmarked for his causes. The odds are in his favor; since has the ways, the means and the time to find political successes. His fortune is to provide the basics for his family and provide the most for Jesus.

The Duggars are nothing if not media-savvy. They bank on attractiveness. And i read somewhere that people's spending habits (in percentages) kind of stay the same even with larger amounts, so i can see them thinking: lean eats for the kids, since we need to stay attractive, and spending on creature comforts for their throw-away first home was not as important as making sure they've got political power and the ability to invest in ways to grow more wealth.

they pretend to be aw shucks, but i think they've made gaining wealth and political influence while being physically attractive, putting on a certain public front for Jesus[tm][/tm] :doh: into a family goal. I can so see Michelle teaching them Public Speaking, especially the older kids, as a way to "minister" (sell their message themselves). Jim Bob's first job might be real estate, but his time has to be consumed quite a bit with maintaining contacts and schmoozing.

That instagram picture of about five of the kids sitting on the walk-through balcony including Jessa and Ben when they were first courting... they were just people-watching some big gathering down below. That is what goes on a lot in their home, i bet.

i just think that atmosphere would be so damaging to the Duggar kids. First of all, the public exposure. And second, the intense pressure to not fail the family. And third, they can't really choose a life path different from what the family wants. Fundie royalty, for real.

I don't think their kids are well equipped, savvy or particularly bright. They've all been riding daddy's coattails and their name based on the TLC series. Most, likely will be as successful as those washed up child actors from 70s, 80s 90s sitcoms.

Purportedly, Josh has unpaid taxes.

Jill couldn't figure out how to make rice for 3, despite having a box with a recipe.

Jana is 25 and living at home without a lick of education to her name- ditto, Jinger.

Jessa is married to an unemployed teen and living in GMM's house.

Josiah is a teen, courting another teen.

JB does pray(and prey) at the altar of the greenback.

Although since their lifestyles have changed drastically in recent years, I doubt they are banking like they did in the past.

I don't think their kids are well equipped, savvy or particularly bright. They've all been riding daddy's coattails and their name based on the TLC series. Most, likely will be as successful as those washed up child actors from 70s, 80s 90s sitcoms.

Purportedly, Josh has unpaid taxes.

Jill couldn't figure out how to make rice for 3, despite having a box with a recipe.

Jana is 25 and living at home without a lick of education to her name- ditto, Jinger.

Jessa is married to an unemployed teen and living in GMM's house.

Josiah is a teen, courting another teen.

JB does pray(and prey) at the altar of the greenback.

Although since their lifestyles have changed drastically in recent years, I doubt they are banking like they did in the past.

I agree with this, and I don't think of Jessa as a shrewd businesswoman (as someone else stated above). A greedy, graspy fame-seeker, yes. But not one who has a solid enough grasp of the world at large to really make it as a businesswoman (although we know her purpose and her heart is to be a stay at home mom to Bin's brood). They may have been taught to be thrifty and frugal years ago, but that family has moved onto the new clothes, new electronics, new whatever-lifestyle. They have expensive tastes and poor training (beyond obedience).

Where can I find this type of info.....about what kind of donations they are making and all? Thx.

For the Duggars there is a quote that I feel will bestow on them. "Absolute power,corrupts absolutely". Jessa is consceded and greedy and a seeks fame and adoration. Jill is sweet but brainwashed. Michelle and JB a are Christian zealots. Any charitable work is always on film and high profile. Yet, I wonder what they do in private. The Duggars have made money and sought fame at every turn. Jessa is vain, she and Ben are so narrow minded. Their posts and videos are offensive to many people. Many of them crave adoration and fame. Their life syle will be their undoing .

For the Duggars there is a quote that I feel will bestow on them. "Absolute power,corrupts absolutely". Jessa is consceded and greedy and a seeks fame and adoration. Jill is sweet but brainwashed. Michelle and JB a are Christian zealots. Any charitable work is always on film and high profile. Yet, I wonder what they do in private. The Duggars have made money and sought fame at every turn. Jessa is vain, she and Ben are so narrow minded. Their posts and videos are offensive to many people. Many of them crave adoration and fame. Their life syle will be their undoing .

"Television ate my family." Lance Loud.

Toss in the fact that JB's pot of money and their D list fame status cannot expand enough to cover all of these adults and their current and future offspring, and the Duggars as a family unit are heading for big trouble.

Petty jealousies, resentment over who gets what (wahhh! how come SHE gets the big house?), tabloid bullshit, and the pressures of keeping up their fundie pretenses will all boil over, probably sooner rather than later. Being fundie won't insulate them; the fact that they've never learned to really communicate with each other will only make it worse.

Television will eat the Duggars.

In addition, look at how families being on reality television have turned out; Gosselins, Sister Wives, Kardashian/Jenner's. Could the Duggars be far behind on this twisted path?

19KAC can't last long enough to support this lifestyle through Josie's wedding and births. Frankly, their show has gotten incredibly boring. Wedding after wedding. Pregnancy after pregnancy. Gender reveals. Baby bumps. Now another courtship... And the process begins anew.

Not only have we seen it all before... But we also learned about all of it months before the episodes. YAWN.

I might not watch tonight's honeymoon episode. I've been to all of the places that Blessa went, and I got there by working hard and saving diligently for years. Blessa moaned about keeping the wedding budget cheap, invited 1,000+ people, relied on volunteers to pull it off, and then went on a fab European honeymoon paid for by a TV network. What a nice testimony... to the power of reality TV. :roll:

The only moment of this season that raised my pulse: Michael nearly getting hurt with the sewing machine. Anna's dumbassery was astounding. :clap:

In addition, look at how families being on reality television have turned out; Gosselins, Sister Wives, Kardashian/Jenner's. Could the Duggars be far behind on this twisted path?

Can't forget the Roloffs, the Honey Boo Boo clan and probably a few others I've happily forgotten. The Loud family was the prototype in the early 70's and I can't think of a family that's had any sustained reality show success and managed to escape the inevitable family destruction.

During the Jill Moves Into The Bestest House episode, one of boy twins commented that the ones lower down on the list probably can't expect as much as the older "kids". Even a howler can sense the impending shit storm.

The duggars are a brand. Just like that Duck Dynasty show. They sold their souls to tlc. The only way to keep the show going is for a Duggar to break free or JimChelle goes against their beliefs. Send the kids to real school, let them wear pants or join scouts :pink-shock:

I remember one leg humper comment how the Duggers live super close to a biblical life. Only if the Bible says sell they family for they profit peddle they children for they profit. Profiting from your faith is very much against the Bible.

"Television ate my family." Lance Loud.

Toss in the fact that JB's pot of money and their D list fame status cannot expand enough to cover all of these adults and their current and future offspring, and the Duggars as a family unit are heading for big trouble.

Petty jealousies, resentment over who gets what (wahhh! how come SHE gets the big house?), tabloid bullshit, and the pressures of keeping up their fundie pretenses will all boil over, probably sooner rather than later. Being fundie won't insulate them; the fact that they've never learned to really communicate with each other will only make it worse.

Television will eat the Duggars.

This (the bolded) is what I always come back to when the discussion revolves around how wealthy JB is. It is like a pyramid scheme only upside down with JB as the point on the bottom supplying everything for his ever-increasing brood all stacked on top. They all have cars. They all have iPhones. They all go on jaunts around the US. The married kids all live in nice homes. JD flies but he flies the family so JB is buying the gas and footing the airport fees. J'boy who is going to school (forgot which one) has his tuition paid for by Dad...etc, etc. And with each new marriage there will be another family to support and another home that can't be rented out and more babies and medical bills. At this point aside from Josh and Derek I don't think anyone is working and drawing a paycheck other than TLC money.

What happens when the show is canceled? Sure there might be some savings and investments but enough to last all the kids and all the spouses? I doubt that very much.

Greedy people forsake the needs of others in their quest for MORE.

What's that verse in scripture? It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. I believe that's it. Probably either a proverb or A parable. Whatever. Point is, what would JB say to defend that?

Well, don'tcha know they get to pick and choose what applies to them? He'd probably think of some vague verse to twist around.

I agree though...the money is going to ruin them, it's just a matter of when. I'm predicting we've got a little while left, but let's be honest, popping out children in litters isn't very interesting forever.

The only moment of this season that raised my pulse: Michael nearly getting hurt with the sewing machine. Anna's dumbassery was astounding. :clap:

When she put a three(?) year old in front of that thing, I could. not. believe. it. What was she thinking?! :pink-shock:

How much do you think the Duggars are making lately? They have the show, which I've heard generates $30,000+ per episode. Do the married ones get their own salary for being in the show? How much? Then there's the magazine covers, the books, the speaking engagements...

I think Jessa & Jill are raking in the cash lately with the magazine covers. Jessa's doing a bunch of speaking engagements, I think she's a shrewd businesswoman and she's going for the $$ while she can.

To get back to the OP's post, I think it came out in the media a few years ago that the elder Duggars now make somewhere in the $75-90k range per episode. (Someone please correct me about that if I'm wrong.) There's been a lot of speculation that the grown kids have their payments automatically put into a Duggar LLC, but IMHO, the married ones probably have separate accounts.

It's been my experience that people outside the entertainment industry tend to vastly underestimate how much people make in TV. For example, a few years ago, one of the girls on that MTV reality show Teen Mom had to reveal her annual salary in court, and I believe it was in the neighborhood of $300-400k. There's a lot of money in TV, and even actors who just get commercial work or guest spots their whole lives can make a very comfortable living.

I think JimBob and J'chelle make boatloads of cash from "the biz," and I expect they have good financial advisors working for them and have investments which have made them a boatload more. And I wouldn't be surprised if each of the adult couples also makes several hundred thousand per season. I know there are people here who firmly believe that they don't, so that's just my opinion, and YMMV.

Boob would be super loaded if he didn't have all his kiddies.

However it's hard to ascertain if he'd have more or less; because while he is cashed up, his net worth is only $3.5 Million USD.

I'd say he'd have more or the same without all the kids.

There would be a lot less costs and he probably would've bought house after house.

Let's face it; the guy is financially savvy; even if he is a grifter...

If the kids are smart they will go into Real Estate and open a contracting business like the property brothers.

Buy foreclosed/fixer uppers .... and flip them.

That is all they are really educated for. Josiah can do the books, and the Jessa and JoyAnna can be sales, etc.

Personally, I think we've reach peak Duggar and it will be a pretty quick down fall as the public moves onto the next thing. The Duggars will be relegated to a couple of specials per year. They'll just shift into ultra-conservative politics, and ride that and the fundamentalist church circuit for as long as they can. They're already moving in that direction.

Honestly, I think a lot of what they say and do is a front. They worship the Almighty Dollar above all. They just got there on the facade of religion.

Personally, I think we've reach peak Duggar and it will be a pretty quick down fall as the public moves onto the next thing. The Duggars will be relegated to a couple of specials per year. They'll just shift into ultra-conservative politics, and ride that and the fundamentalist church circuit for as long as they can. They're already moving in that direction.

Honestly, I think a lot of what they say and do is a front. They worship the Almighty Dollar above all. They just got there on the facade of religion.

Archived