IGNORED

Michaela and Brandon Are Engaged!

frugalitymom

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just released the wedding date on OK magazine: August 15th

I wish them a lovely, low-key, Josh Duggar and Bill Gothard-free wedding.

Seriously, do we think any Duggars will attend? And be filmed by UPTV?

I wish them a lovely, low-key, Josh Duggar and Bill Gothard-free wedding.

Seriously, do we think any Duggars will attend? And be filmed by UPTV?

Joseph lives with the Bates' so would be awkward not to invite him, and I think JD and Zach as best buddies, and isn't Jana close to Michael(l(a)) ? Could see a couple of older Duggar going without the parents, and especially without Josh.

Plus a Bates wedding, even low key, is a good place for them to meet a future spouse and if the show is too end Jim Bob will probably quickly be eager to get as many adult child out of the house ...

I agree-- I can see 3 or 4 of the oldest Duggar siblings going--perhaps only as many as JD can fit in his plane.

UP TV might choose to not film them. On there other hand, UP might choose to film them for the "shock value."

I hope there is only as much filming as Michael & Brandon are comfortable with.

I think the Duggar's will be invited and will attend. I also think UP will be careful NOT to include them in any footage that is aired.

Wedding is August 15? Brilliant. I am due August 17th - a Bates wedding is the ideal distraction from waiting for baby. Hope they post lots of pictures. :)

/because obviously Michaela Bates needed to plan her wedding with my needs in mind. ;-)

wat?

He's staying with them while he goes to Crown College. There's also been hints about a Bates-Duggar courtship in the works, with a lot of speculation that it's between Joseph and Tori. Staying withe the Bateses would allow them the get to know you phase fairly quickly.

Their registered at Target.com for a variety of items, including a pink bed spread just like Erin and Chad's.

Their registry is like I expected. Reasonable and sparing of any cereal and himalayan salts. It's not at all overdone or screaming "We're having 10000 guests so please everyone bring something". I didn't expect any different from Michael and Brandon. The list is very home-centered and contains functional items. It could be my registry if I was moving out for the first time with the intention to build my own home for a family with gradually more people (one 2qt Crockpot and one 6 qt) .

Btw, they're not asking for anything unreasonably priced like a feckin' KitchenAid Mixer! Maybe they'll get that from a grandparent or plan on buying something more frugal and functional and less decorative with gift cards, but putting something SO expensive on a registry like Jessa and Bin is SO tacky!

If someone is excited for the typical tacky, unreasonable fundie registry, they're gonna be underwhelmed with this one.

It's possible that a family member expressed the desire to get them a KitchenAid mixer before they even made the registry, so they wouldn't put it on the list.

He's staying with them while he goes to Crown College. There's also been hints about a Bates-Duggar courtship in the works, with a lot of speculation that it's between Joseph and Tori. Staying withe the Bateses would allow them the get to know you phase fairly quickly.

I thought he was too young and still was required to live on campus?

^ Same. I thought he was living on campus but visiting the Bates fairly regularly.

Their registry is like I expected. Reasonable and sparing of any cereal and himalayan salts. It's not at all overdone or screaming "We're having 10000 guests so please everyone bring something". I didn't expect any different from Michael and Brandon. The list is very home-centered and contains functional items. It could be my registry if I was moving out for the first time with the intention to build my own home for a family with gradually more people (one 2qt Crockpot and one 6 qt) .

Btw, they're not asking for anything unreasonably priced like a feckin' KitchenAid Mixer! Maybe they'll get that from a grandparent or plan on buying something more frugal and functional and less decorative with gift cards, but putting something SO expensive on a registry like Jessa and Bin is SO tacky!

If someone is excited for the typical tacky, unreasonable fundie registry, they're gonna be underwhelmed with this one.

Kitchenaid mixers are expensive but totally worth It. I've never had a mixer stand up to making divinity better. For any fundie housewife, kitchenaids would be practical, considering it'll be used more than your average oversized eggbeaters.

I do like their selection, i have to say. Looks similar to my old one to be honest.

Maybe it's just me. I would never put something as strikingly expensive as a KA mixer on a registry that is available to people who might have limited financial resources. It definitely changes the statement of the registry. It could make people feel quite uncomfortable and they could feel compelled to buy something more expensive than they can afford. I totally think KA mixers and whatever else that is a good investment are great gifts, but for people who are close to the couple and want to do something nice for them or people who just wish to express their excitement in that way. But those people will approach the couple anyway, so no need to bother the "general wedding attendees" with it.

Am I making sense? :?

Btw, I hate KitchenAid mixers. And yes, I'm talking about the Artisan not the classic. Been there, done that. I don't get why people get so excited over that thing. I don't like the design anyway,so...

Apart from that, light brown & blue as well as light pink & grey are trendy now. I like the colors. M&B have listed 2 different comforters in different colors. I guess one will be for a guest room possibly.

JMHO, but I don't think Kitchenaid's on a registry are a big deal. When I was a broke collage student, often several of us would go in on a larger gift rather than giving lots of small gifts. How many kitchen towels does one need??? Besides, no one is obligated to buy what is on a registry.

Maybe it's just me. I would never put something as strikingly expensive as a KA mixer on a registry that is available to people who might have limited financial resources. It definitely changes the statement of the registry. It could make people feel quite uncomfortable and they could feel compelled to buy something more expensive than they can afford. I totally think KA mixers and whatever else that is a good investment are great gifts, but for people who are close to the couple and want to do something nice for them or people who just wish to express their excitement in that way. But those people will approach the couple anyway, so no need to bother the "general wedding attendees" with it.

Am I making sense? :?

Btw, I hate KitchenAid mixers. And yes, I'm talking about the Artisan not the classic. Been there, done that. I don't get why people get so excited over that thing. I don't like the design anyway,so...

Apart from that, light brown & blue as well as light pink & grey are trendy now. I like the colors. M&B have listed 2 different comforters in different colors. I guess one will be for a guest room possibly.

In my "set", it is polite to put gifts from all price ranges on your registry and let attendees choose what they would like to spend. I would actually get complaints if I did not put a few high-priced items on my registry. And by "complaints", I mean that I would be told to add them and get a telling off.

Even if not everyone can afford to get those items, those who can may want to purchase them. Just because you place it there doesn't mean you expect to get it nor does it pressure a guest who cannot afford it to buy it for you (provided you have a variety of less expensive options). It just means that it is something you would appreciate if someone would like to gift it to you. And as a guest, I have never felt "bad" because I could not afford to gift the bride/groom every single thing on their registry.

Most weddings have guests with a variety of financial means. It is polite, IMHO, to give ALL of your guests options they feel comfortable with for their convenience, both big spenders and small.

JMHO, but I don't think Kitchenaid's on a registry are a big deal. When I was a broke collage student, often several of us would go in on a larger gift rather than giving lots of small gifts. How many kitchen towels does one need??? Besides, no one is obligated to buy what is on a registry.

I didn't have a registry when I got married (courthouse dealie) but when we had our first son, several people suggested that we have inexpensive things, mid-priced things and expensive things so that people could easily find something in their budget.

I have always heard to put a wide variety of items on your registry, too. Most people's registries that I've personally seen have everything from a Kitchenaid mixer, or even more expensive items (like a set of pots and pans, a knife set, a grill) down to very inexpensive items like potholders and ice cream scoops. Some people really want to buy nice gifts but it is NOT a good idea to guess what someone wants if you're spending $300+.

Obviously if you're a third cousin who sees the bride once every 5 years, you know nobody is possibly going to expect you to be buying someone a stand mixer. But I would buy something in the Kitchenaid price range for, say, my brother or best friend. I'd much rather someone puts the big ticket items on the registry than not so you know they won't get a stand mixer from each set of grandparents...

• 1 month later...
Finally! I am very happy for them.

What is the current status of their relationship? I am also very happy for their engagement and want to have a look at some of the pictures.

I thought he was too young and still was required to live on campus?

I imagine an exception could be made since the Bates are local fundie royalty and Gil is on the IBLP BoD. But with all the horrific Duggar drama, maybe not.

What is the current status of their relationship? I am also very happy for their engagement and want to have a look at some of the pictures.

Ask and you shall receive.

instagram.com/brandon_michael_jn15/

brandonlovesmichaela.com

Say what you will want to about them, but they will have good looking kids.

I just watched the engagement episode and Brandon said that the ring has a B on one side of the diamond and an M on the other. He said the diamond represents God because He is the center of their relationship.

Archived