IGNORED

Abigail Picks Unfortunate Metaphors

GeoBQn

It's been a while since we checked in on Abigail. She says when it comes to religion, she feels like a foster kid.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-unexpected-easter-gift.html

She also had a fucking Christian seder. I was ready to go off on her in the comment section, only to discover that she disabled comments again.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2015/04/welcome-to-holy-thursday.html

Yeah, I read that part about being a foster child and went :o :shock: :? . She really has a messed up conception of herself.

I didn't read about the Christian seder. That's not Catholicism endorses, so I wonder where she got that.

Yeah, I read that part about being a foster child and went :o :shock: :? . She really has a messed up conception of herself.

I didn't read about the Christian seder. That's not Catholicism endorses, so I wonder where she got that.

Actually, seder dinners on Holy Thursday are pretty common among Catholics. It's not "official cannon" or anything, but most churches hold a seder dinner after Holy Thursday services in my area.

Actually, seder dinners on Holy Thursday are pretty common among Catholics. It's not "official cannon" or anything, but most churches hold a seder dinner after Holy Thursday services in my area.

I have been raised Catholic and most of my family is still power Catholic and no one has heard of this being a thing. The only Seder our family attended was the one hosted by my sister's friend and her family who happened to be the only Jewish family in our very small,town.

I was also raised Catholic, my parents are mass-every-day super observant types, and having a Seder on Holy Thursday is a new one by me too. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I was raised Catholic and I did attend a couple Holy Thursday seders in my youth. It's not an old tradition, this was in the 70's when we were becoming more ecumenical and acknowledging the Jewish roots of Christianity. I just this last Holy Thursday attended a seder at my mom's Episcopalian church. (She's gone over to them due to disagreements with directions the Catholic church has taken.)

I know it's irrational and based on my own circumstances, but Abigail really chaps my ass. She threw away her law school education (and likely bailed on her student loans), becoming a living embodiment of the notion that it's not worthwhile to educate women. She decided instead to use religion to shield the reality that she couldn't hack it as a lawyer, and, to top it off, preaches about how she made the best possible choice and is so much better than the rest of us. Given the level of her writing and the fact that she would leave trial prep (as first chair!) at 7 pm, she was probably a shitty lawyer anyway. Just fucking admit you didn't want the hard work and responsibility!

To have been raised by loving, educated, employed parents and to compare that experience to being raised in an Eastern European orphanage makes me stabby. Meanwhile, she accepts financial help and gift cards from her father and preaches about the holiness of "poverty."

:pull-hair:

/rant over

I was raised Catholic and I did attend a couple Holy Thursday seders in my youth. It's not an old tradition, this was in the 70's when we were becoming more ecumenical and acknowledging the Jewish roots of Christianity. I just this last Holy Thursday attended a seder at my mom's Episcopalian church. (She's gone over to them due to disagreements with directions the Catholic church has taken.)

Yes, I think it's a regional thing. My area is in the suburbs that started to be populated in the 80's and 90's...so a lot of the Churches have a lot of people who were raised in the 70's and brought a lot of that to the Church culture. I don't think my new Church does it, as the area I live in now is an older and more traditional area.

I'd be interested to know if the school does it, because my parochial school also had seder observances. I actually learned how to cook unleavened bread.

Funny story:

One of my best friends is Jewish and has Catholic relatives. Her Catholic cousin was experiencing her first Seder this year...unfortunately for her, it fell on Good Friday. So we were joking on how her cousin would be able to just eat "crackers".

I am telling this to my parents, and my mom goes, "No, Passover was YESTERDAY." She insists on this until I'm finally like "OK, well, K is Jewish so I think she knows what's up." To which my mom goes "OOOOOOh. She's Jewish. I didn't know their Passover was that close this year."

All this is to say, my devoutly and fundie-lite Catholic mother firmly considers Holy Thursday to be the Catholic observance of Passover.

• 1 month later...

I was raised catholic in a very catholic area; and I don't know of any church that hosts a Seder meal now or in the past. That being said, I do know that one of the catholic schools I attended did for the middle school aged children because that's when we learned about other religions and cultures, so they incorporated various other religions traditions into the religion classes.

Archived