IGNORED

SAHD blog- the Boyer sisters

iloveevolution

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

How do you know? There is very little info on the blog about the parents.

Insane is not the word I would use.  The blog certainly demonstrates that the parents clearly follow what I would call corrupt and false teaching, however. Patriarchy, Dominionism, and purity culture for starters.

Are we having a Fundie Wednesday?  It's been quite a while. :popcorn2:

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nina said:

The Parents are insane. No disputed there. . 

I'm not sure insane, but they did raise their daughters to make their whole life about marriage. 

I'm just not getting where Brigid was the bad guy who flaunted that she was getting married first just to rub it in the face of Jessica. Jessica went through not only a break-up when she was never prepared for that to happen, but also having her life long dream of being the first one married crushed. Brigid wouldn't have had to have flaunted anything for Jessica to struggle with the whole situation.

I'm just trying to figure out why you are placing so much blame on Brigid. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

8 hours ago, formergothardite said:

What parts have I missed that showed Brigid probably did all that? 

I'm confused by this too.  We have this primary text, written by Jessica, and we're supposed to ignore that?  I'm wondering if @Nina is projecting from her own experience here, because there seems to be a lot of reaching going on.  I don't understand why Brigid is suddenly this terrible person (especially when, as @formergothardite says, the Boyer parents are the ones who set up all the expectations, the frankly obsessive Hope Chest culture for the family, and ingrained the idea in the girls that Jessica should marry first just because she's older.

More pictures from the wedding on the blog!

Is it just me, or is it weird for all the groomsmen to wear kilts if they're not Scottish? (or are they all of Scottish heritage?) Apparently Gabe's tartan is from his family's heritage, but what about all the ones the groomsmen are wearing? 

I just fell down the Boyer sisters' rabbit hole, and when I first saw the wedding pictures I thought they were Scottish, because of all the kilts and tartans. 

9 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

More pictures from the wedding on the blog!

Is it just me, or is it weird for all the groomsmen to wear kilts if they're not Scottish? (or are they all of Scottish heritage?) Apparently Gabe's tartan is from his family's heritage, but what about all the ones the groomsmen are wearing? 

I just fell down the Boyer sisters' rabbit hole, and when I first saw the wedding pictures I thought they were Scottish, because of all the kilts and tartans. 

It seemed incredibly strange to me. I know she said she didn't want the bridesmaids and the groomsmen to be "matchy matchy," but I think a little coordination would have been nice. At least some kind of color scheme so that it didn't look so disjointed.

19 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

The fit on those bridesmaid dresses! Ugh. The darker blue is the only one that doesn't look like a sack.

Right!!

You would think that with so many accomplished garment-makers in the family (on both sides, apparently) they would be totally embarrassed.

Gabe's hair is decidedly thin.. but that is some serious tailoring skill with the pattern matching. Sure, it's a hideous waistcoat, but it's well made! His youngest sister is also drop-dead gorgeous. 

5 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Gabe's hair is decidedly thin.. but that is some serious tailoring skill with the pattern matching. Sure, it's a hideous waistcoat, but it's well made! His youngest sister is also drop-dead gorgeous. 

He really needs to make her dresses from now on. I bet they would fit much better if he was the one working on them. 

24 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

but that is some serious tailoring skill with the pattern matching. Sure, it's a hideous waistcoat, but it's well made!

He has some really good sewing skills. He should have done the bridesmaids dresses. 

yeah, i'm also impressed that he sews so well (way better than me!!).  didn't they have the typical short fundie engagement?  that seems to be why the dresses didn't fit well--sheer lack of time.  i genuinely liked the bridesmaids' dresses, but they simply did not fit.  i also liked what Brigid was going for with her dress, but again the fit; it had so much potential but seemed very nightgown-ish.  the skirt was fabulous, and the front of the bodice was pretty, but i think a more tailored look would have been much better.  (i'm really not trashing any of the dresses; i just think that if they gave themselves 8-12 months, they could have been better.)

I think the fabric of Brigid's dress is probably beautiful.  A hemp and silk blend sounds luxurious. The style and fit, not so much.  The loose fit of that and the bridesmaid dresses are probably due to some modesty standard as well as ease of movement.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:13 PM, princessmahina said:

It seemed incredibly strange to me. I know she said she didn't want the bridesmaids and the groomsmen to be "matchy matchy," but I think a little coordination would have been nice. At least some kind of color scheme so that it didn't look so disjointed.

I can "just" see the coordination.  It looks as though she was trying to pick up on the colors of the minor threads of the various tartans for the dresses.  It might look better in closeups.

So does Gabe have a collection of personal kilts that he lent to his groomsmen - or is this Gabe's fashion "collection" of the kilts that he makes to sell?  That vest shows mad matching skills. The lad has definitely got talent.  I didn't like the shiny and over-sized lapels on the jacket though - it looked 1970s to me.  Is it that '70s fashion has come back into style?

On 11/30/2016 at 2:40 PM, ladyamylynn said:

Are you... That Gabe?

Yes. 

Thanks for the nice comments on my clothes. The suit is actually based on 1890s styles and uses a pattern drafted from the cutter's practical guide. 

Buckle shoes are common in full dress THCD (traditional highland civilian dress) as are "yeti pelt" (horsehair really) sporrans. Come on over to xmarksthescot.com if you want to jump down a (non-fundie) rabbit-hole into the kilt wearing population.

Technically I only made the kilts worn by myself and my brothers. My friends wore their own kilts and tartans with rented jackets. ('ll let you try to guess which are which ;) )

I am happy to answer questions about the clothes or myself (I can't make any promises that I will have time to,) but will not be available to share information about the Boyers so please don't bother asking.

The only thing I will say on that score is that you have been responsible for huge outbursts of giggles when you start to spin theories... It's too much fun, and you never know when they post things just to troll you all...

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I think the fabric of Brigid's dress is probably beautiful.  A hemp and silk blend sounds luxurious. The style and fit, not so much.  

This!

But to use Brigid's one words: 

First off, I was not going to wear a corset under my dress, so I made it to fit very well, without such an undergarment.

I guess we all have different views on fitting... 

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yes. 

Oh, my.  Fundie Friday!

Thanks for the nice comments on my clothes. The suit is actually based on 1890s styles and uses a pattern drafted from the cutter's practical guide. 

Buckle shoes are common in full dress THCD (traditional highland civilian dress) as are "yeti pelt" (horsehair really) sporrans. Come on over to xmarksthescot.com if you want to jump down a (non-fundie) rabbit-hole into the kilt wearing population.

The jacket too?  It just shows that there's nothing much new in fashion.  Old fashions just recycle every 50 years or so - thus the 1970s lapels.  I've looked at xmarksthescot.com before.  It is hilarious!

Did the yeti pelt reference sting?  I correctly identified it as horsehair prior to the yeti pelt crack.  It was very ostentatious and the smaller dress sporrans are more attractive, IMO.  That is unless it is a soldier's dress uniform or an official pipe band.  But the Victorians were ostentatious.  Those things are also wicked expensive.

Buckle shoes are OK.  We were objecting to the lack of dancing brogues.  You might want to look into them to be truly authentic next time you dance.  I still regret that you didn't go the whole hog and wear a lace jabot and cuffs.  Those are to die for.  

Technically I only made the kilts worn by myself and my brothers. My friends wore their own kilts and tartans with rented jackets. ('ll let you try to guess which are which ;) )

I'll take a look.  My compliments on your skills are genuine.  You must be making a good living to be able to afford yeti pelt sporrans.  You might have to hold back on that sort of peacocking to welcome all the little blessings God sends you - and provide for them properly in the future.

The only thing I will say on that score is that you have been responsible for huge outbursts of giggles when you start to spin theories... It's too much fun, and you never know when they post things just to troll you all...

So glad to amuse you and the Boyer sisters.  So they post things to troll us?  I always suspect when bloggers say that it's because they want our attention after a few month of our neglect.  It's also very dishonest to do that to their followers, don't you think?  Some Godly young ladies might take their posts trolling FJ seriously. 

I won't ask you about the Boyers - but what is/was your connection with Vision Forum?  How do you feel about the Fall of Doug Phillips (who is a Tool)?

I withdrew from this thread when it got wildly speculative and I thought my "work was done" and I said my piece, but I'll jump back in given it looks like this is Fundie Friday. On the off-chance that real Boyers and Boyer-adjacents are actually reading what we have to say, I'll use the platform to say a few things directly to them:

Trolling seems highly unbecoming of the kinds of young ladies the Boyers profess themselves to be. You (now just going to address them like they're reading) have a decent track record of emotional honesty in your blog posts, why not continue that thread with a series of informative posts to address criticisms of your belief system and way of life? Not saying trolling isn't allowed...we all take some fun in it sometimes...but it contradicts your Good Christian Image, for sure.  As a former admiring reader, it makes me more certain that I should no longer give you clicks.

My understanding is that Christians are supposed to reach out lovingly and truthfully to other people. I appreciate that Gabe, if it's actually Gabe, has been fair and civil in his limited posts.

Maybe consider that.

Gabe, definitely genuine about your sewing skills. I am in awe! 

As a Half-scot living in Scotland though I've got to say yes, massive sporrans like that and buckle shoes are *technically* _ thing, but no one wears them. Then again, if you were going full historical, sure. But much like a full crinoline, that's going to look costumey and a bit silly. 

I sincerely hope (although I agree about disingenuity) the bitterness post was "trolling" - your sister in law really needs to get over herself otherwise and let you and your wife be happy as well as be happy for you. 

Gabe, your sewing skills are amazing. I am truly impressed.

Trolling us sounds a bit weird when there is a good chance that many of their serious readers will take them seriously. Have they considered it? 

Perhaps you can get them to explain how exactly it is modest to continually post pictures of themselves. That is one thing I have never understood. How is it modesty to be all "LOOK AT ME as I gaze into the distance! LOOK AT ME as I twirl! LOOK AT ME as I cast my eyes down!" I get showing off an outfit, but you can do that in one or two pictures. 

After thinking about it, if Jessica truly felt all those things she said she felt, I'm glad she also felt that it was okay to write about them. I'm still clueless on why @Nina thinks Brigid was a bridezilla who heartlessly rubbed the fact that she was getting married first in the face of heartbroken Jessica, but it sounds like Jessica came to terms with some of the things she felt. Also, everyone in that family needs to realize that the reason Jessica felt that way was because of the way she was raised. 

52 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, my.  Fundie Friday!

I specifically waited until Friday just so it would be a slight alliteration (just kidding)

The jacket too?  It just shows that there's nothing much new in fashion.  Old fashions just recycle every 50 years or so - thus the 1970s lapels.  I've looked at xmarksthescot.com before.  It is hilarious!

Yes the jacket is based on some of the variations they present in one of the volumes. I am not an overly large person so the lapels came out a tad on the large side, but I figured if I'm going to be flamboyant I may as well enjoy it. I was not very happy with the cloth. I used a cotton velveteen which was very difficult to press and shape, and since I didn't fuse the interfacing (on purpose) it wrinkles more than I would like.

Did the yeti pelt reference sting?  I correctly identified it as horsehair prior to the yeti pelt crack.  It was very ostentatious and the smaller dress sporrans are more attractive, IMO.  That is unless it is a soldier's dress uniform or an official pipe band.  But the Victorians were ostentatious.  Those things are also wicked expensive.

Not at all, I'm generally a laid back fellow. I thought it was hilarious. When I registered I almost chose the username 'swedishfish' and then considered 'yetipelt' before just deciding to be myself :D  Horsehair sporrans and kilts and most nice THCD accessories are very expensive, I could afford it because I make them professionally.

Buckle shoes are OK.  We were objecting to the lack of dancing brogues.  You might want to look into them to be truly authentic next time you dance.  I still regret that you didn't go the whole hog and wear a lace jabot and cuffs.  Those are to die for.  

I have dancing brogues which I wear for dancing and only dancing. I am of the opinion that "ghillie brogues" and "Jacobite shirts" are hideous. I have knit my own set of lace jabot and cuffs, but I never wear them because they now seem a little too costumey even for my tastes. When I put together an amazing 1720s outfit perhaps I shall dust them off and wear them again...

So glad to amuse you and the Boyer sisters.  So they post things to troll us?  I always suspect when bloggers say that it's because they want our attention after a few month of our neglect.  It's also very dishonest to do that to their followers, don't you think?  Some Godly young ladies might take their posts trolling FJ seriously. 

Posts trolling FJ are few and far between as far as I know. So rail about the disingenuity all you like, but even that will be fun to watch:popcorn:

I think we read FJ with the same sort of disbelief and amusement that you express about reading fundie blogs

I'll take a look.  My compliments on your skills are genuine.  You must be making a good living to be able to afford yeti pelt sporrans.  You might have to hold back on that sort of peacocking to welcome all the little blessings God sends you - and provide for them properly in the future.

Thanks. I have been blessed with enough to live comfortably. My budget for historical clothing has taken a big hit and will probably not increase for quite a few years, but a lovely wife is worth the sacrifice.

I won't ask you about the Boyers - but what is/was your connection with Vision Forum?  How do you feel about the Fall of Doug Phillips (who is a Tool)?

I had no serious connection to VF. I went to a few film festivals for the networking. I was never a part of the "in" group. I am mainly sad about the downfall. I would never support Doug Phillips returning to any leadership ministry position. I think it should be a "one strike and you're out" in such cases.

46 minutes ago, ladyaudley said:

Gabe, definitely genuine about your sewing skills. I am in awe! 

As a Half-scot living in Scotland though I've got to say yes, massive sporrans like that and buckle shoes are *technically* _ thing, but no one wears them. Then again, if you were going full historical, sure. But much like a full crinoline, that's going to look costumey and a bit silly. 

I sincerely hope (although I agree about disingenuity) the bitterness post was "trolling" - your sister in law really needs to get over herself otherwise and let you and your wife be happy as well as be happy for you. 

Thanks. My outfit was very specifically "historical" as in (late Victorian) Scottish dress. I am quite aware (having been to the UK) that "nobody" wears that sort of thing now. I am also acquainted with a niche group of people both in Scotland and elsewhere in the world who DO wear that sort of thing, many of them on a daily basis.

I may look a bit silly to you, but I like it.

Are you still friends with Jessica's ex? Did he attend the wedding? And how do you feel about the courtship model of dating?

Yes, and yes.

I dated a girl previous to Brigid and the relationship went sour. My experience courting has been relatively good. I have heard of horrible courtships and I would agree with most of you folks that it doesn't actually provide much emotional protection and can actually work against that. It does provide a tangible level of security and accountability. In the end it's not the mechanics of the process that make it work but who the people are and whether they treat each-other in a respectful and kind manner.

But that's true in all of life and not just dating or courting or... (however you approach marriage)

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Posts trolling FJ are few and far between as far as I know. So rail about the disingenuity all you like, but even that will be fun to watch:popcorn:

That's probably good, since there are only like four people on FJ who actively check for the Boyers, and we can go for a couple of months without posting anything about them. We're not really a large percentage of their readership.

Maybe I haven't sat in on enough FF's to know better but I appreciate your willingness to engage here in whatever ways you feel comfortable, @Gabe. It seems fairly unique. I'll chime in and say I'm impressed with you and your family's sewing skills!

I think the snark on this forum, like you've said, is read by most snarkees the same way as the insipidity and offensiveness we read on fundie blogs, which, in the end, sometimes shuts down important conversations, even if they're internal. There's definitely constructive conversation mixed in with the off the cuff mockery of any of FJ's snark subjects.

Given the high Google placement FJ discussions get, its pretty inevitable that bloggers find out what's being said about them. I hope it doesn't emotionally harm any of them; but I'm still in support of FJ as a tool of dismantling harmful systems.

For my own small part I hope to contribute food for thought. Shutting out differing interpretations of a publicly-curated persona just because they don't line up with parentally-inherited dogmas is no way to develop an adult world view.

Best wishes to all of you. I'm not pressing a response for any conversation you don't want to engage in -- I'm just a former Boyer blog reader and also a vintage fashion / sewing enthusiast who is inspired by the Boyer (and now Everson) creativity, so I have an interest in expressing my philosophical issues with the Boyers' vehicle of modeling Christianity. 

Have a good first holiday season as newlyweds!

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

I think Gabe is adorable but, then, I find receding hairlines on men to be incredibly sexy. "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street!" my mama always said.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived