IGNORED

Bev Perdue Vetoes NC AntiAbortion Bill

debrand

blogs.fayobserver.com/myronpitts/June-2011/Anti-Abortion-Bill-veto--Gov--Perdue-Believes-that

Well, it looks like North Carolina’s first female governor has decided that a North Carolina woman does not need the 170 (mostly male) members of the General Assembly to go along on her doctor’s visit and preach to her, before she makes important decisions about her own health and her own body.

Gov. Bev Perdue vetoed the bill that would have forced a woman to wait 24 hours to receive an abortion, during which she would have to take mandatory “counseling†from some state-approved agency.

The bill is in line with efforts in other states, where the clear goal is to stop women from making a choice about their bodies through state-sponsored regulation, harassment and intrusion.

Good for Gov. Perdue. I hope her veto holds.

It’s funny how certain folks can rail against Big Government, until it comes to some government intrusion they support.

She might say hurrikin instead of hurricane but she did veto a bill that treats women as children.

THe comments that follow the article are interesting.

blogs.fayobserver.com/myronpitts/June-2011/Anti-Abortion-Bill-veto--Gov--Perdue-Believes-that

She might say hurrikin instead of hurricane but she did veto a bill that treats women as children.

THe comments that follow the article are interesting.

Thank heavens some governor somewhere is standing against the war on women. And I agree with one of the commenters that that's becoming less of an overstatement every day.

There is no reason for the bill except to get around abortion rights. Women aren't children and shouldn't be treated like they are.

Even prolifers should understand why this bill is offensive.

I watched the local news when this was first passed. A reporter asked several people on the street what they thought about the 24 hour waiting period and counseling. It shocked me how many people had never heard about this and were dumbfounded that such a bill existed.

The comments are quite shocking, it seems as if there are only a handful of comments agreeing with the original post. Is this a blog you read regularyl, debrand, or did you just come across it? Usually most blog commenters agree with the author. It seemed very strange that there were so many dissenting opinions and I am wondering why that is.

Guest Anonymous
The comments are quite shocking, it seems as if there are only a handful of comments agreeing with the original post. Is this a blog you read regularyl, debrand, or did you just come across it? Usually most blog commenters agree with the author. It seemed very strange that there were so many dissenting opinions and I am wondering why that is.

There's a particularly nasty brand of anti-choicers who roam the internet in packs looking for pro-choice news stories/blogs to vomit all over. I have had them turn up on "Blog For Choice Day" at my place.

Because she is my governor, I googled Bev Perdue and stumbled onto the website.

my governor as well.. i live in a rather ritzy and very republican place, so this won't be welcomed with open arms here. on the other hand, almost every man i know (it's a small island, we all know each other) would gladly accept a woman getting an abortion if she was raped of life in danger, etc.

off topic, but so ironic that i must add it, is that i live with my girlfriend/fiancee, raise my son and two nephews (ages almost 10, 10 and 15) and no one bats an eyelash. of course they talk about us behind our backs (those damn lesbians! :) being judgemental is kinda relative around here.

I'm glad to hear my governor made this veto. I live out in the country here in NC, so I'm surrounded by people who think that this bill was a good idea. Fortunately, not too many of them vote. Good thing the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill liberals do, though!

I am so proud of your governor, debrand , grateful1230 and deelaem! Do any of you know if she intends to run for re-election next year? I'll be glad to work on her campaign. I only live about 30 or 40 minutes from the state line.

Archived