IGNORED

Lori and Ken Alexander's Big Ol' Bucket o' Crazy - Part 2

I kind of remember this Lori fangirl being discussed here.

Lady Virtue · 5 hours ago

Yet another spot-on blog post, Lori. Particularly your comments about women not expecting romance from their husbands and not thinking about "me time" were accurate. Day to day survival was the main thing with which they were concerned.

The fact that most men expect their wives (or wives to be) to be in the paying labor force and are opposed to them being "just" housewives and homemakers is evidence of how feminism has damaged men as well as women. Some men think full time wives and mothers are parasitic, like leeches who just drain resources but contribute nothing in return if they don't earn their keep. I hope the young lady you referenced in your post finds a godly man who knows the role and place God gave to women and that he wants a wife with those convictions. Not only are many women today not feminine, but many men don't expect or want them to be.

Lori Alexander · 2 hours ago

I know, Lady Virtue, however, many husbands finally let their wives come home and find out how much easier and better their lives are when this happens!

Diane · 4 hours ago

I am so grateful that I married a man who wanted me to stay home and be a homemaker even though his mom worked full time. He knew how lonely it was when his mom was gone. We discussed this before we were married. My mom worked full time too and i hated it because she didn't need to work but wanted to get out of the house. I decided when I was young that I would only marry a man who honored me enough to allow me to be in the home without any pressure to go outside and work. I loved sewing and upholstery and always made our money stretch by making my own clothes and the kids clothes and also my own curtains and covered our couches. Please women, do not marry a man who expects you to leave the home if you don't want to. This is not of

Lori Alexander · 2 hours ago

It isn't of God, Diane. There is nothing in the Bible that the women should be the providers and protectors of the home, and especially, leave the home for hours every day and their children in the care of strangers.

Kenny boy makes an appearance

Ken · 3 hours ago

What is the purpose of a marriage and in turn the purpose of a home? It is more than just a place where a couple lives, but a place to raise a family so that it can continue both the values of a society and for the Believer perpetuate the family of God. When family is devalued for the sake of success, money, one's own selfish comforts and pride, as it is so much in the US, destruction of both society and the church are soon to follow.

A wife who willingly accepts the role of homemaker and primary nurturer of children is worth far more to her husband and family than one who sees her value primarily outside the home. It is perhaps not impossible for a wife and Mom to both work and fulfill her value roles at home, but I find too often it is the wife who loses trying to do it all. Tired, frustrated, half fulfilled, wanting to have two feet firmly planted instead of spread so thin. The saddest part is to watch Christian family after Christian family be destroyed through divorce, or by way of rebellious children, all because the focus was taken off of what is the greatest priority, the lives and souls of our godly offspring.

Christ says that one cannot serve two masters. So too it is few who can truly serve two purposes in life and not neglect the one for the other. My heart breaks for those women who feel they must work, out of necessity as a single Mom or some other reason that creates such a necessity. I understand that life at times is not pretty, or fun, and we all must step up at times to contribute in ways that are outside our comfort zone, perhaps even heroic in the case of a single Mom. But God's ideals always hold true even if exceptions are to be found, and when 75% of women are working outside the home, this is far from God's ideal for the Christian family. There can't be that many legitimate exceptions to His values and His ways. Too many husbands and wives are self-seeking instead of seeking His best for their lives and the lives of their family.

Well, Ken for some husbands and wives seeking the best for their lives means both of them working for a living to support their children.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Women working during the depression? What?

In general, the early Depression affected male wage earners more severely than women workers. The stock market crash of 1929 damaged heavy industries like steel, rubber, and chemicals, which were dominated by male workers, much more than light industries like manufacturing, where most female industrial workers were employed. Manufacturing industries also recovered much faster during the Depression than heavy industries. Therefore, more male workers lost their jobs than female workers, and it was more difficult for men to find work in factories during the Depression than women. Aside from finding work in manufacturing, women had more wage-earning opportunities in non-industrial work such as teaching, nursing, domestic service, and work from the home, and office work than men. (59)

Still, women workers did suffer during the Depression. Many women who had not worked before the Depression were forced to find jobs because their husbands had been laid off or suffered from wage-cuts. This was especially the case for older, married women who had left the labor force when they had children. One-third of the Depression-era female work force comprised married women—a 50% increase from the 1920s. Having a job did not ensure survival, however. Wages for working women in the 1930s were extremely low: sewing and production of toys and other goods from home yielded only $5 per week. Although it was easier for women to find work during the Depression than men, there was still high unemployment among women. Two million women who had had jobs before the Depression, or were seeking jobs because of the Depression, were unemployed in 1931. By 1933, that number had doubled. For the 20% to 50% of unemployed women who were solely responsible for supporting their families, unemployment was life threatening. (60)

Unemployment was especially severe among African-American women. Many African American women lost their positions as domestic servants to white women who entered the market during the Depression. In urban areas, they were forced to convene on city corners in “slave markets,†hoping to be hired for very low-paid day labor. (61) African American women who worked as agricultural laborers did not fair much better. Even before the Depression, many southern sharecroppers lived in utter destitution. In the 1930s, the Department of Agriculture paid landowners not to farm in order to raise crop prices, and many tenant farmers lost their homes and their jobs as a result.(62) In 1935, 25% of black women were receiving government relief payments.

(Which would be, I guess a version of the community stepping in to help that Lori described, but I'm sure would look down on.

Unlike Lori, not only do I include my source, my source includes it's sources.....

nwhm.org/online-exhibits/industry/12.htm

My grandmother was single and self supporting for much of the depression(she had gone to a business college/school and learned secretarial skills and worked for a large corporation-- she and my grandfather married in the mid-late 30s, and both had managed to be employed throughout it. My husband's aunt was a nurse, and her husband was a physician. They quietly married and told no one for quite a while because hospital policy was to fire married nurses and she wanted to keep working.

As with most things Lori writes, she is full of shit when it comes to how people once lived vs now.

As for modesty in the 30s... 2 words. Busby Berkeley

41585b917c7409cf48c66c058bbe894d.jpg

Women working during the depression? What?

(Which would be, I guess a version of the community stepping in to help that Lori described, but I'm sure would look down on.

Unlike Lori, not only do I include my source, my source includes it's sources.....

nwhm.org/online-exhibits/industry/12.htm

My grandmother was single and self supporting for much of the depression(she had gone to a business college/school and learned secretarial skills and worked for a large corporation-- she and my grandfather married in the mid-late 30s, and both had managed to be employed throughout it. My husband's aunt was a nurse, and her husband was a physician. They quietly married and told no one for quite a while because hospital policy was to fire married nurses and she wanted to keep working.

As with most things Lori writes, she is full of shit when it comes to how people once lived vs now.

As for modesty in the 30s... 2 words. Busby Berkeley

41585b917c7409cf48c66c058bbe894d.jpg

In the late 1700s, early 1800s, women dressed in filmy, gauzey white dresses, and they'd dampen these outfits so that they'd cling better to their curves. Heck, there was even a period during which women walked around with their breasts exposed because breastfeeding was tres chic.

Lori really should crack open a book once in a while instead of flapping her gums endlessly.

In the late 1700s, early 1800s, women dressed in filmy, gauzey white dresses, and they'd dampen these outfits so that they'd cling better to their curves. Heck, there was even a period during which women walked around with their breasts exposed because breastfeeding was tres chic.

Lori really should crack open a book once in a while instead of flapping her gums endlessly.

It wouldn't help. Lori has pretty much the worst reading comprehension I've ever seen in an adult. She reads whatever she wants to into whatever book is in front of her.

millenium-society?format=1500w You may wish to click it to see it better.

This is captions as The original Millenium Society on Ken's About Us section of his website take a moment to look at the group...see the men and women in the group?

Apparently Ken is one of those Christian men who can just not see women, so he isn't tempted, because here is what Ken says about this picture on his website.

Alexander & Sons has its roots in The Millenium Society, a shared learning cooperative founded in 1972 by a small group of quality-oriented orthodontists. These men had developed large practices during the golden era of orthodontics, and now sought to maximize profit and reduce their stress load by sharing information and management techniques. Starting with 10 practices and committed to focusing only on orthodontics as a specialization, they soon developed finely-honed materials and systems engineered for growth. Ken Alexander got his start under these first 'consultants', and in 1981, toured the country giving seminars to doctors.

Apparently, the women are not visible to Ken, or by the time he was invited to the group, it had expanded. Either way, it seems weird to phrase it as he does. Lucky for these people, per the web site

Ken has spent the better part of 34 years improving and perfecting their methods.

I have to laugh... again, this is the kind of copy I was cleaning up on tiny consulting group websites back in the mid 90s.....

A young woman asked me the other day if she should marry a godly man who wants her to work outside the home. He isn't interested in her being a homemaker full-time. I wouldn't have dreamed of marrying Ken if he felt this way since this is all I wanted to do since I was a little girl. So many women write me and tell me how much they want to be home full-time but their husbands don't want them to be. It is a very sad state we are in.

Wait. Didn't Lori work until her second child was born? And didn't she expedite the birth of that child by disabling her birth control? So, how can she claim Ken supported her "dream" of being a homemaker from the very beginning? I just can't.....

As for women not working in the past....*SIGH*. She will never get it. My great grandmother was left with seven children, ages 2-14 during the great depression. I just came from the funeral of that youngest child. My great grandmother became a cook at the local restaurant to support her family.

During WWII, when her daughter (my grandmother) was left at home with two babies while her husband went to war, Great Grandma took them into her home. Between the two adults, they took in others' laundry and ironing. When they weren't doing that, they were walking to the homes of these women to set their hair and give permanents for whatever small price their neighbors could pay. In a small town, when nearly every home was without a man, the churches simply could not provide for all these war wives. I greatly admire these relatives of mine for doing what needed to be done to support their families. Sitting around and expecting the church to support them, while every other family was also in need, would have been arrogant, entitled and selfish.

And I will add that of those seven children, raised by a single mother during the Great Depression, four of them received college degrees. Among them were a registered nurse, two CPAs and an ordained minister. They clearly learned their work ethic from their mother who had an eighth grade education but knew it was vital to work during those hard times and set a great example for her children.

And just so Ken and Lori are tempted to label her as ungodly, my great grandmother never missed a church service. She never learned to drive but, even well into her 70's, refused a ride if the weather was good. She only relied on others for a ride if it was raining or snowing. But she never missed church. Also, she worked at that same restaurant, baking pies two days a week, until the day she died at age 80.

Wait. Didn't Lori work until her second child was born? And didn't she expedite the birth of that child by disabling her birth control? So, how can she claim Ken supported her "dream" of being a homemaker from the very beginning? I just can't.....

As for women not working in the past....*SIGH*. She will never get it. My great grandmother was left with seven children, ages 2-14 during the great depression. I just came from the funeral of that youngest child. My great grandmother became a cook at the local restaurant to support her family.

During WWII, when her daughter (my grandmother) was left at home with two babies while her husband went to war, Great Grandma took them into her home. Between the two adults, they took in others' laundry and ironing. When they weren't doing that, they were walking to the homes of these women to set their hair and give permanents for whatever small price their neighbors could pay. In a small town, when nearly every home was without a man, the churches simply could not provide for all these war wives. I greatly admire these relatives of mine for doing what needed to be done to support their families. Sitting around and expecting the church to support them, while every other family was also in need, would have been arrogant, entitled and selfish.

And I will add that of those seven children, raised by a single mother during the Great Depression, four of them received college degrees. Among them were a registered nurse, two CPAs and an ordained minister. They clearly learned their work ethic from their mother who had an eighth grade education but knew it was vital to work during those hard times and set a great example for her children.

And just so Ken and Lori are tempted to label her as ungodly, my great grandmother never missed a church service. She never learned to drive but, even well into her 70's, refused a ride if the weather was good. She only relied on others for a ride if it was raining or snowing. But she never missed church. Also, she worked at that same restaurant, baking pies two days a week, until the day she died at age 80.

I think she did. She said in a few blog entries about working until Alyssa was 2.

Your great grandmother was a great woman.

*sigh*

My greatgrandmother (born in the early 1900's ) worked.

My grandmother (born in the 1930's) worked.

My husband's paternal grandmother (born in the early 1900's) worked.

My husband's maternal grandmother (born in the 1920's) worked.

I think she did. She said in a few blog entries about working until Alyssa was 2.

Your great grandmother was a great woman.

Thank you. She sure was. She raised seven great children too.

We just love being together talking about marriage

Lori *HAS* to remind us how holy she is. Even girl talk has to be about marriage.

We just love being together talking about marriage and fun things

This made me laugh. It could have been written like this:

"First we talk about marriage, then we move on to the fun things of life."

She's made it sound like marriage is no fun, which in the Alexander household.....

Most bloggers would have looked at that line and realized it didn't sound right, so would have easily changed it to "We talk about marriage and other fun things."

And now a post on "Should Marriage be Fun?" in 5....4....3....

Oh, Lori was educated (because her father made her) and worked (because Ken expected/made her) and was a shrewish bitch who wanted to control Ken (as she still does) and a relatively lousy mother of only a few children, BUT, that was before she learned submission, so now, she can preach and lord over eveyone else because she and Ken are in a GODLY marriage, unlike anyone who disagrees with them

Remember, it is more important to be holy than happy...

I love that one woman told her that all her foremothers had worked, but she was going to be a SAHW, and Lori told her something along the lines of "Good, you can finally introduce godly living to your family line.

or some such shit.

I think Lori is very, very unhappy. She might think that she's educating people on how to be happily married, but overall, she doesn't care about that. Her goal is to be right. She doesn't need anything else. Just for people to mask her insecurities by agreeing with her. I think she's probably insecure about her intelligence because of her brain thing. Even though everyone tells her that there has been no changes in personality or function, is that really true? I think that Ken is probably doing more harm than good by trying to convince her that everything is fine and dandy, and she's right, and everyone else is wrong. When maybe everyone would be better served by knowing that she doesn't process things the same, at the same speed, and her personality changed.

That's all I got. I'm hoping that she wasn't always this horrible and blaming it on the tumor/cancer/whatever it was.

And now a post on "Should Marriage be Fun?" in 5....4....3....

I'm laughing because this is 100% true.

Also the comment section is about to become "I've been married a millionty years and I've NEVER gone on a date night" so that Lori's leghumpers can prove their holiness. Because spending time with your spouse while eating delicious food is the most unholy thing one can do.

Also, if you choose to stay at home because you can "know what's in the food", that's sort of a sign of orthorexia.

I think Lori is very, very unhappy. She might think that she's educating people on how to be happily married, but overall, she doesn't care about that. Her goal is to be right. She doesn't need anything else. Just for people to mask her insecurities by agreeing with her. I think she's probably insecure about her intelligence because of her brain thing. Even though everyone tells her that there has been no changes in personality or function, is that really true? I think that Ken is probably doing more harm than good by trying to convince her that everything is fine and dandy, and she's right, and everyone else is wrong. When maybe everyone would be better served by knowing that she doesn't process things the same, at the same speed, and her personality changed.

That's all I got. I'm hoping that she wasn't always this horrible and blaming it on the tumor/cancer/whatever it was.

I think she realized she had to stop being a bitch to Ken, after tha long walk/talk they have referred to, and now she pretends to submit to him and saves her venom for her blog. And us. I suspect that evil feminists draw Lori and Ken together more than any other thing has in their marriage, including having children-- because they have a common "enemy" to talk about and hate on and "fight" against.

I doubt her tumor is making her much worse, given her telling of letting tiny infants cry because Mommy needs her sleep and her adoration of all things Pearl and straps for children, etc.

I think Lori uses her tumor as an excuse to be a blathering idiot and a cold hearted, manipulative bitch.

There. I said it.

I think Lori uses her tumor as an excuse to be a blathering idiot and a cold hearted, manipulative bitch.

There. I said it.

Don't Lori and Ken proudly claim her behavior? I think someone asked him if he thought her tumor affected the way she acts, and he essentially said "No, no way, she's super Godly and acts the same pre- and post-tumor."

I have no doubt that someone here can correct with direct quotes if I'm misremembering. :lol:

Don't Lori and Ken proudly claim her behavior? I think someone asked him if he thought her tumor affected the way she acts, and he essentially said "No, no way, she's super Godly and acts the same pre- and post-tumor."

I have no doubt that someone here can correct with direct quotes if I'm misremembering. :lol:

Vaguely remember Ken saying this. I don't think Lori would ever answer the question and I think she uses her tumor as an excuse to bury her head deep in the sand, put her fingers in her ears and sing "LALALALAPRAISEJEEBUSI'MHOLY" whenever someone even gently suggests something different.

She has no problem using her bad health as a get out of jail free card, though. Remember the fire when she had to evacuate her home? She froze up and melted into a pile of goo until her son came to help her get ready. When readers suggested this was not normal and that she might have anxiety she went straight to "I get tired of always having to be strong through my pain". Everyone immediately backed off. I imagined she springs this on Kenny and her kids as her trump card whenever needed.

This is captions as The original Millenium Society on Ken's About Us section of his website take a moment to look at the group...see the men and women in the group?

Apparently Ken is one of those Christian men who can just not see women, so he isn't tempted, because here is what Ken says about this picture on his website.

I see about 40 women there.

Maybe Ken needs to go to the opthamologist to treat his misogynopia.

Ya know, part of me agrees with the "Wow factor" idea that if you splurge, it should be worth it.

We just have different ideas on what makes something "worth it". FWIW, I'm pretty sure my spending priorities in general are different from others here. The only other person who needs to agree is my husband.

For example, we like vacations. I'll do what we can to get great deals and avoid paying for hotels, but we agree that it's an investment in our marriage, family and mental health. We also found that things between us got much better once we started meeting for lunch once a week. Both things are less expensive and more fun in the long run, vs. marital problems, being estranged from kids or having a physical or mental breakdown.

OTOH, being a stay-at-home mom is NOT a "Wow factor" thing for us, esp. since the kids are in school full-time. Speaking of which...homeschooling would have been a definite non-wow factor for us.

We also found that things between us got much better once we started meeting for lunch once a week. Both things are less expensive and more fun in the long run, vs. marital problems, being estranged from kids or having a physical or mental breakdown..

My husband and I found our marriage improved a great deal once we scheduled date nights once or twice a month.

We enjoy them so much we request restaurant and movie gift cards if family members ask us what we want for Christmas and birthdays.

It wasn't a matter of not being "content" as Lori claims. It was a matter of re-connecting with each other.

We had lost it somewhere along the way, being busy with day to day life, and that helped us get it back.

From her post today, claiming that the Bible doesn't want women to work outside the home:

There is nowhere in the Bible that tells women to go away from their homes and get jobs. This is what the Bible prescribes for older women, "...having been the wife of one man, well reported of for good works; if she has brought up children, if she has lodged strangers, if she has washed the saints' feel, if she has relieved the afflicted, if she has diligently followed every good word"

So...where exactly has Lori ever given any indication that she is known for her good works, allowed strangers to stay in her home, washed any saint's feet, or relieved the afflicted?

I'd agree that any woman who did that - basically making her home into a shelter - is indeed "working". That's not what Lori does, though, and it's not really what she advocates on her blog either. There's nothing in that list of things about crafting, arranging flowers, home decorating, organic baking, taking a nap while forcing your kids to stay in their rooms, or blogging about how we really don't need to tithe.

Oh, Lori was educated (because her father made her) and worked (because Ken expected/made her) and was a shrewish bitch who wanted to control Ken (as she still does) and a relatively lousy mother of only a few children, BUT, that was before she learned submission, so now, she can preach and lord over eveyone else because she and Ken are in a GODLY marriage, unlike anyone who disagrees with them

Remember, it is more important to be holy than happy...

I love that one woman told her that all her foremothers had worked, but she was going to be a SAHW, and Lori told her something along the lines of "Good, you can finally introduce godly living to your family line.

or some such shit.

She is such an asshole. If she says shit like that to other people online or in person, I hope she gets a smackdown.

Archived