IGNORED

BJU and A Beka curriculum

KittenMitten

My SIL went to church at Mt Carmel when she was growing up (she went to Denbigh High, though)! Small world, innit? :lol:

Yeah, this area does offer a lot in the way of higher ed. Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years or so. For example, the VB campus of TCC used to be four little buildings in the 'boondocks' when I went there in the 70s. Now, if it had a few dorms they could turn it into a 4-year university. And it's got a huge joint-use library (partly owned by the city), and a higher education center nearby that's run by ODU and Norfolk State. My son took a lot of his junior and senior classes there rather than the main ODU campus in Norfolk, which was great as we live very close by.

Zoinks, I feel like I've just been doing a commercial for higher ed in Tidewater, VA. "From here, go anywhere," as the TCC commercial says. LOL! :lol:

I did 10 years at Newport News Shipbuilding. The shitty thing about them is that although they PAID for my BSME they would not promote me to an engineering position because I was a Designer 2. At that point I gave up and sort of lost interest. When they had the big RIF, I was one of the ones who went out. It was ok, I got 3 months pay and turned around and found a MUCH better job with MUCH better $. (NNS doesn't pay). Since then, I've gone through a few jobs...I learned a lesson from NNS. When I get up in the morning and my first words are "oh shit I gotta go to work" it's time to move on. The best part is I've gotten a few moves paid for...and now I'm in Las Vegas NV.

But...yeah, seeing CVN 78 Nuclear Propulsion design on my resume usually grabs a lot of attention :)

Well you should brag, but for yourself. Must have been a lot of hard work, determination and exhaustion. I think community colleges are an excellent options. We are considering it for our son. The price is low so he can graduate with less debt. He can get either a certificate which would lead to a good job or he can get an AS and transfer to a university to study engineering. The CC also offers support for students that learning disabilities. I think a less stressful introduction to higher education, but with very good education. But what is a BSME?

Community colleges do offer support to disabled students. like every place else, you have to advocate for it but they are required by ADA laws to give reasonable accommodations. For me, that included written and verbal test for math because I am dyslexic. I geothermal got the work correct and wrote the wrong answer or I would write the correct answer and mess up somewhere when solving the problem.

Community colleges do offer support to disabled students. like every place else, you have to advocate for it but they are required by ADA laws to give reasonable accommodations. For me, that included written and verbal test for math because I am dyslexic. I geothermal got the work correct and wrote the wrong answer or I would write the correct answer and mess up somewhere when solving the problem.

Re: the bolded above...higher education IS stressful. If it's a good CC, the curriculum will be just as rigorous and the syllabus will be just as jam-packed as a 4 year school. The plus side is that class sizes are usually pretty small, no big lecture halls and no TA's, professors with pretty liberal office hours and who want you to succeed. I had a VERY patient professor for one calc class, when I just couldn't get it through my head...he sat patiently and retaught me until it finally clicked.

Archived