IGNORED

BJU and A Beka curriculum

KittenMitten

Hi. This is the first time I've ever posted a new topic so I hope I do this right . Mods please put where appropriate.

I am working with a girl who is very unhappy in her public high school. We talked about perhaps her transferring to a local Christian school. She is a liberal Catholic and faith is not all that important to her but she believes.

In checking out the curriculum, the school offers Bob Jones University and A Beka for study. I explained the little I know about those two curriculums, bible based and teaches Creationism. She said she knows all about evolution and would keep her mouth shut about her opinions. She also wants to go to a public university, which has somewhat high GPA expectations. So would either of these curriculums offer appropriate education to be able to go to a good college?

Thank you for any input.

Hi. This is the first time I've ever posted a new topic so I hope I do this right . Mods please put where appropriate.

I am working with a girl who is very unhappy in her public high school. We talked about perhaps her transferring to a local Christian school. She is a liberal Catholic and faith is not all that important to her but she believes.

In checking out the curriculum, the school offers Bob Jones University and A Beka for study. I explained the little I know about those two curriculums, bible based and teaches Creationism. She said she knows all about evolution and would keep her mouth shut about her opinions. She also wants to go to a public university, which has somewhat high GPA expectations. So would either of these curriculums offer appropriate education to be able to go to a good college?

Thank you for any input.

I don't know much about BJU, but I went to an A Beka school. Grammar was solid, and math (I took Algebra I and II, geometry and then consumer math because I was lazy) was fine, but the literature curriculum was completely edited to fundy standards -- meaning huge chunks of classic stories were just missing -- snipped from existence, as it were, because they were inappropriate to our young virgin minds. Science (biology, chemistry, etc.) was superficial and edited to fundy standards. History/social studies was a joke (my dad was a massive history buff, so one way or another, I did get a solid history education, lol).

All that said, if the school hires ACTUAL teachers (as opposed to glorified monitors) and offers plenty of enrichment courses and if she's a driven kid, she'd probably do okay either way. But the A Beka curricula definitely has weak spots.

Thanks polecat. I think the college admissions is pretty rigorous. So strength in science, history and literature. I want to be able to discuss this with her parents. I also want to be informed rather than from my own issues. Thanks again.

If you're curious about their textbooks, google the phrase "sundays with the christianists", a series of reviews of A-Beka (and other fundie) textbooks.

If it's an ACSI school, the curriculum and credits will satisfy just about any college. My kids had friends that went to the local fundy Xtian school...and some of those kids went to pretty top notch schools including the service academies.

Thank you Black Aliss and feministxtian. I did Google both suggestions. One of the schools is ACSI. And Sunday's with the Christianists was also quite interesting. All information I can learn will be helpful to help her make the best decision. I just want to make sure I do not bring in my bias and the more I know, the less likely that will happen. Thank you so very much.

the school I was talking about is this one dbcs.org. Academically it's one of the few semi-fundie schools that is on a par with the other two big private schools in my hometown. The other two are Hampton Roads Academy (do not go unless you have scads o'bux) and Peninsula Catholic High School (in the interest of transparency, I am PCHS class of '81)

the school I was talking about is this one dbcs.org. Academically it's one of the few semi-fundie schools that is on a par with the other two big private schools in my hometown. The other two are Hampton Roads Academy (do not go unless you have scads o'bux) and Peninsula Catholic High School (in the interest of transparency, I am PCHS class of '81)

Totally OT of the topic that I began. You graduated in 1981? Me too!

I don't know much about BJU, but I went to an A Beka school. Grammar was solid, and math (I took Algebra I and II, geometry and then consumer math because I was lazy) was fine, but the literature curriculum was completely edited to fundy standards -- meaning huge chunks of classic stories were just missing -- snipped from existence, as it were, because they were inappropriate to our young virgin minds. Science (biology, chemistry, etc.) was superficial and edited to fundy standards. History/social studies was a joke (my dad was a massive history buff, so one way or another, I did get a solid history education, lol).

All that said, if the school hires ACTUAL teachers (as opposed to glorified monitors) and offers plenty of enrichment courses and if she's a driven kid, she'd probably do okay either way. But the A Beka curricula definitely has weak spots.

agreed with this. the grammar and math were pretty strong, the literature was piecemealed together (though my teacher was pretty good and did her own thing with her own curriculum and utilized only a little of the given stuff, pretty much), the history was white-washed and the science was pretty abysmal.

the girl you're working with sounds pretty smart, though, and fairly mature and ambitious if she's taking steps to control her school career (it's something i highly recommend!). if she's willing to take the steps to ensure her own education is well-rounded, and not just passing her classes, i would see no problem with it.

Dual Enrollment

20 Credits

through Thomas Nelson Community College

Graduate from high school with

20 college credits in Math

and AP credits in Science & English.

If the student chooses to go here, she should definitely take advantage of the CC dual credits this school offers. That will not only help balance and add to her education but also lend terrific credibility to her transcript when applying to the uni she desires after she graduates.

This requires a bit of research into what the school actually does with the curriculum.

I taught in a Christian high school that used A Beka and BJU textbooks. (Except math which was Saxon).

The science teacher went his own way with everything and taught from hands on labs. He had worked in chemistry fields for private corporations for nearly 20 years before teaching. He taught about evolution as a scientific theory while achieving the balancing act of telling parents he was not endorsing it but making sure students understood that science knowledge requires a basic understanding of it as theory. Not sure how he did that.

I taught English and history. Some of the A Beka literature is quite strong. Students are exposed to excerpts of a variety of ancient lit, philosophy and classic works. Some works are edited but on the other hand, they are edited in one way or another in every lit anthology out there. Bottom line, though, is that your kid is unlikely to look at any Plato or Aristotle in a public school lit anthology today--last week I subbed in a 9th grade English class where we read "Riki Tiki Tavi" out loud (don't get me started on how stupid that story is as literature for teens!). However, if the teacher sticks to the prescribed questions in the text and tests and study guides that come with it, the kids are not going to have the opportunity to really question or analyze what they read. The A Beka study questions and materials encourage one interpretation of everything. At my school, there were three teachers all teaching some English and some social studies. Two of us went way beyond the text and never assigned the accompanying A Beka materials so that we could get students to engage, analyze and question the reading. The third stuck to nothing but the provided materials.

Another question about literature is to find out if they use additional novels, memoirs, plays, etc...or if they only read what is in the anthology. If they are reading additional works outside it, that would mean that the curriculum is more likely to include open discussion and interpretation.

As for history...It may be hopeless. Someone up thread used the term "whitewashed". That's an understatement. Most of A Beka history is badly interpreted. There is veiled racism (and some blatant) throughout. The 1986 edition of the HS world history text had an introductory section on the peoples of the world which classified them as "red, yellow, black and white" and strongly implied a hierarchy of those colors. In the brief section on Apartheid in South Africa, the text basically praised the system. The 1982 edition of the american government book praised the great success of prohibition, said that there are "traditional" requirements for the presidency in addition to the Constitutional ones that voters believe in and should be aware of (male, white, Protestant Christian, happily married with 2 or more children--I got in some trouble for pointing out exceptions to these supposed rules to my students)...I could keep going. Just the general method of interpreting history in their books is suspect as it is based on hindsight--instead of evaluating decisions on the basis of the time they were made in, the books regularly take leaders to task (unacceptable leaders aka Democrats) for decisions based on the long term results that we can't assume they could have foreseen. Truman, for example, is demonized for Korea remaining a divided nation and that was written in such away in the book I had to teach out of so as to imply that he anticipated and wanted that outcome. Additionally, they don't note that he was already out of office when the armistice was signed in July, 1953.

All of that said, all my students used their books for in world history and government classes were to look up names, terms and dates. Everything else I taught was based on outside reading, lecture, and other sources in order to provide a less biased view. The U.S. History teacher did the same. But the middle school social studies teachers stuck to the A Beka view and bought into it completely. So, again, you would have to see what the teachers at this school are actually doing with the curriculum. A good starting point is to find out where they got their degrees. BJU or PCC or other conservative Christian college and they may stick to the books. The teachers I worked with who did not follow the books and materials, myself included, went to public universities or mainstream private liberal arts colleges. We easily recognized the biases.

If the student chooses to go here, she should definitely take advantage of the CC dual credits this school offers. That will not only help balance and add to her education but also lend terrific credibility to her transcript when applying to the uni she desires after she graduates.

As a TNCC grad...I can tell you that it's no joke in the tech fields. The engineering instructors are either current or retired NASA guys. The physics instructors are mostly from Jefferson Labs. English and humanities adjuncts are also professors at the couple of 4 year schools.

TNCC has a 2+2 agreement in place with at least 4 state schools including William & Mary and Virginia Tech. I also know that Liberty takes MOST TNCC credits too.

Ok...brag over...from the graduate of a 2 year school (I have a 4 year too, but I'm quite proud of my time at "Harvard by the Highway")

As a TNCC grad...I can tell you that it's no joke in the tech fields. The engineering instructors are either current or retired NASA guys. The physics instructors are mostly from Jefferson Labs. English and humanities adjuncts are also professors at the couple of 4 year schools.

TNCC has a 2+2 agreement in place with at least 4 state schools including William & Mary and Virginia Tech. I also know that Liberty takes MOST TNCC credits too.

Ok...brag over...from the graduate of a 2 year school (I have a 4 year too, but I'm quite proud of my time at "Harvard by the Highway")

I drive by TNCC every time I head up the Peninsula, and I never thought about how good their tech instruction must be considering how close they are to NASA Langley and Jefferson. :)

My son and daughter both did dual enrollment at Tidewater Community College while in high school and it really stood them in good stead when they applied for college. They're both products of somewhat fundie Christian schools in southeastern VA as well as Catholic schools (we pulled them out of the fundie school in early elementary because the 'somewhat' was becoming 'hardcore' :? ), and ended up in public high school only because we couldn't afford the exorbitant fees at the local Catholic high school. I'm glad it turned out that way, they became much more well-rounded adults after such a varied school experience.

I drive by TNCC every time I head up the Peninsula, and I never thought about how good their tech instruction must be considering how close they are to NASA Langley and Jefferson. :)

My son and daughter both did dual enrollment at Tidewater Community College while in high school and it really stood them in good stead when they applied for college. They're both products of somewhat fundie Christian schools in southeastern VA as well as Catholic schools (we pulled them out of the fundie school in early elementary because the 'somewhat' was becoming 'hardcore' :? ), and ended up in public high school only because we couldn't afford the exorbitant fees at the local Catholic high school. I'm glad it turned out that way, they became much more well-rounded adults after such a varied school experience.

TCC is pretty good but their tech instruction is not on the same level as TNCC (ask me how I know). My materials and processes of industry instructor was a metallurgist who retired from NASA...he didn't need the text book.

By the way, I grew up in Newport News!!!!

TCC is pretty good but their tech instruction is not on the same level as TNCC (ask me how I know). My materials and processes of industry instructor was a metallurgist who retired from NASA...he didn't need the text book.

By the way, I grew up in Newport News!!!!

Oh, I'm sure it's not. Ditto for the humanities and English, although they have gotten much better since I was a student there in the late 70s. Well, early 90's, I should say--when my kids were very young, in order to get out of the house once or twice a week I re-enrolled and took every history class a particular professor taught because he was so good. If only he'd been teaching there in the 70s I might have gone on to get my four-year degree at ODU or W&M.

Virginia Beach! *waves across the water* :lol:

I went to an LCMS high school. I was liberal and unhappy at school. I was shunned for my beliefs and felt trapped because I could not express myself.

Oh, I'm sure it's not. Ditto for the humanities and English, although they have gotten much better since I was a student there in the late 70s. Well, early 90's, I should say--when my kids were very young, in order to get out of the house once or twice a week I re-enrolled and took every history class a particular professor taught because he was so good. If only he'd been teaching there in the 70s I might have gone on to get my four-year degree at ODU or W&M.

Virginia Beach! *waves across the water* :lol:

Grew up near Deer Park (JClyde & Jefferson), went to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and Peninsula Catholic. Then TNCC & ODU. Lived in Village Green (Jefferson & Oyster Point) until 3 years ago...moved to Phoenix and then Las Vegas.

For all its sort of backwardness, education there is pretty damn good. I think Hampton Roads has one of the highest concentrations of folks with college degrees...I mean, TNCC, TCC, ODU, W&M, NASA, JLab, Newport News Shipbuilding...

Thank you all for the information. It sounds that if she supplements her education in history and science this might be a viable option. Thank you for the TNCC recommendation, unfortunately we are in New York. But it did remind me about the community college options. We have very good community colleges and if one does well can transfer to any four year university. Thanks, I'm glad I knew the right people to ask.

If you're curious about their textbooks, google the phrase "sundays with the christianists", a series of reviews of A-Beka (and other fundie) textbooks.

Their websites usually have samples.

Thank you all for the information. It sounds that if she supplements her education in history and science this might be a viable option. Thank you for the TNCC recommendation, unfortunately we are in New York. But it did remind me about the community college options. We have very good community colleges and if one does well can transfer to any four year university. Thanks, I'm glad I knew the right people to ask.

I brag on TNCC...mostly because it was the gateway to my career...single mom of three managed to score a free 2 year AS degree and then score a free BSME. Many CCs work with the larger employers in the area.

I brag on TNCC...mostly because it was the gateway to my career...single mom of three managed to score a free 2 year AS degree and then score a free BSME. Many CCs work with the larger employers in the area.

Well you should brag, but for yourself. Must have been a lot of hard work, determination and exhaustion. I think community colleges are an excellent options. We are considering it for our son. The price is low so he can graduate with less debt. He can get either a certificate which would lead to a good job or he can get an AS and transfer to a university to study engineering. The CC also offers support for students that learning disabilities. I think a less stressful introduction to higher education, but with very good education. But what is a BSME?

Well you should brag, but for yourself. Must have been a lot of hard work, determination and exhaustion. I think community colleges are an excellent options. We are considering it for our son. The price is low so he can graduate with less debt. He can get either a certificate which would lead to a good job or he can get an AS and transfer to a university to study engineering. The CC also offers support for students that learning disabilities. I think a less stressful introduction to higher education, but with very good education. But what is a BSME?

Yeah, it was not easy. I sold my soul to Satan after 4 semesters of Calculus. BSME - Bachelor of Science -Mechanical Engineering. The funny thing is that I don't like being an engineer but love being a mechanical designer. Because of my background in mechanical design (what I did while I was going for the BSME), I'm slanted more towards design engineering. In other words, I let someone else do the math and I do the HOW its going to work...

Grew up near Deer Park (JClyde & Jefferson), went to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and Peninsula Catholic. Then TNCC & ODU. Lived in Village Green (Jefferson & Oyster Point) until 3 years ago...moved to Phoenix and then Las Vegas.

For all its sort of backwardness, education there is pretty damn good. I think Hampton Roads has one of the highest concentrations of folks with college degrees...I mean, TNCC, TCC, ODU, W&M, NASA, JLab, Newport News Shipbuilding...

My SIL went to church at Mt Carmel when she was growing up (she went to Denbigh High, though)! Small world, innit? :lol:

Yeah, this area does offer a lot in the way of higher ed. Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years or so. For example, the VB campus of TCC used to be four little buildings in the 'boondocks' when I went there in the 70s. Now, if it had a few dorms they could turn it into a 4-year university. And it's got a huge joint-use library (partly owned by the city), and a higher education center nearby that's run by ODU and Norfolk State. My son took a lot of his junior and senior classes there rather than the main ODU campus in Norfolk, which was great as we live very close by.

Zoinks, I feel like I've just been doing a commercial for higher ed in Tidewater, VA. "From here, go anywhere," as the TCC commercial says. LOL! :lol:

Yeah, it was not easy. I sold my soul to Satan after 4 semesters of Calculus. BSME - Bachelor of Science -Mechanical Engineering. The funny thing is that I don't like being an engineer but love being a mechanical designer. Because of my background in mechanical design (what I did while I was going for the BSME), I'm slanted more towards design engineering. In other words, I let someone else do the math and I do the HOW its going to work...

Even though I'm a therapist, engineering is becoming my life. I'm involved with a robotics team. I'm scared that I'm beginning to understand what they are talking about :shock: Your career sounds so interesting. About Satan. I pretty sure I'm damned to hell, but reading freejinger, I'll be in good company and there will be some hot parties.

Archived