IGNORED

Alyssa Bates/Webster is wearing PANTS!!

jinseng

Her picture with Ally at a mini golf place, while wearing skinny jeans and winter outerwear, seems to demonstrate that she is now comfortable with wearing pants while visiting the fam back in Tennessee.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her picture with Ally at a mini golf place, while wearing skinny jeans and winter outerwear, seems to demonstrate that she is now comfortable with wearing pants while visiting the fam back in Tennessee.

They went to Chicago to see John's sisters for Thanksgiving, so I'm guessing the picture was taken there.

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all for Alyssa's wardrobe? It's pretty on her, ok. It's also Florida where wearing wholesome wear and denim skirts is giving a foretaste of burning in hellfire. Her wardrobe is appropriate for the climate that she lives in. 

However, I'd choose Erin's wardrobe over Alyssa's anytime. 

Same here. 

Though, by my standards, Alyssa's wardrobe is not modest. 

Same here. 

Though, by my standards, Alyssa's wardrobe is not modest. 

No, especially the short dresses and the heels. It's not modest. Pretty yes, modest no. Whatever. She can and should wear whatever she wants. 

I don't see how Erin's wardrobe is "too old for her"? For one, she's 25, not 15. And secondly, she mostly wears basics. It's not like she wears frumpers. If anything looks a little outdated it's her high hair and uptight hairdos. However, as per Kelly, Erin has terribly full bodied hair and that really can be a hassle to make it not look shabby and frizzy. Her wardrobe, however, is perfectly fine. IMHO

They went to Chicago to see John's sisters for Thanksgiving, so I'm guessing the picture was taken there.

Oh, thanks!  I didn't know that. Still, at least one of those sisters (Tori) works at Gothard HQ, so it is interesting that she would wear pants around the hardcore ATI crowd.  I'm sure  Priscilla and Kendalyn weren't in pants.

Oh, thanks!  I didn't know that. Still, at least one of those sisters (Tori) works at Gothard HQ, so it is interesting that she would wear pants around the hardcore ATI crowd.  I'm sure  Priscilla and Kendalyn weren't in pants.

A lot of the hardcore ATIs wear pants. Tori wears pants and she works at HQ. John's mom wears shorts and she is hardcore.

I had a friend whose family was extremely uptight about modesty. She had to show every outfit to her brother to make sure it was appropriate. :ew: Once her family hosted a homeschool formal and one girl showed up with bare shoulders so my friend's mom made that girl wear an ugly old t-shirt over her formal dress. The family was somewhat involved in ATI and was very anti-birth control, against women being educated and/or having careers, etc. I would definitely class them as fundie and yet the women in the family wear pants and look totally normal fashion-wise.

I do think though that it is significant that Alyssa is wearing pants now. It doesn't mean she's no longer fundie, but given her family's modesty standards it does represent quite a change from how she was raised.

IM(non fundie) O, jeans and tennis shoes are far more modest than short dresses, 5 inch heels and bare shoulders/upper arms. Not that I think how AW dresses is wrong, just that these folks have modesty, modern and gender specific clothing confused.

IM(non fundie) O, jeans and tennis shoes are far more modest than short dresses, 5 inch heels and bare shoulders/upper arms. Not that I think how AW dresses is wrong, just that these folks have modesty, modern and gender specific clothing confused.

I agree jeans for activities like horse riding is far more appropriate than dresses.

Jeans/trousers for active people (especially little girls on playgrounds/running around) is also more modest than even a knee/ankle length dress which can blow up.  The fundies have some awareness of this, and its why all the little girls tend to wear leggings under dresses regardless of dress length.

In the normal world, a little girl sitting un-elelegantly in skirt is not a big deal.  Imagine a fundie child accidentally showing her underwear due to sitting cross legged on the floor or hanging off a monkey bar... :(

No, especially the short dresses and the heels. It's not modest. Pretty yes, modest no. Whatever. She can and should wear whatever she wants. 

I don't see how Erin's wardrobe is "too old for her"? For one, she's 25, not 15. And secondly, she mostly wears basics. It's not like she wears frumpers. If anything looks a little outdated it's her high hair and uptight hairdos. However, as per Kelly, Erin has terribly full bodied hair and that really can be a hassle to make it not look shabby and frizzy. Her wardrobe, however, is perfectly fine. IMHO

I kind of like how unapologetic Erin is about her big hair. I'm sure it's full of secrets. I wish I had the patience to put more effort in my hairstyle beyond a ponytail, but I've never been particularly good at hair or makeup so I keep it as simple as possible.

I agree jeans for activities like horse riding is far more appropriate than dresses.

Jeans/trousers for active people (especially little girls on playgrounds/running around) is also more modest than even a knee/ankle length dress which can blow up.  The fundies have some awareness of this, and its why all the little girls tend to wear leggings under dresses regardless of dress length.

In the normal world, a little girl sitting un-elelegantly in skirt is not a big deal.  Imagine a fundie child accidentally showing her underwear due to sitting cross legged on the floor or hanging off a monkey bar... :(

Exhibit a) Davia Waller:

Does anyone else think Davia looks just like her mom?

Yesssss?

I don't see how what Alyssa wears is not modest, but then again I really have never understood where anyone draws the line between modest and not modest clothing. 

That said I think that Alyssa wearing pants is probably a good thing for her even if it doesn't guarantee she is heading away from fundie life.

I kind of like how unapologetic Erin is about her big hair. I'm sure it's full of secrets. I wish I had the patience to put more effort in my hairstyle beyond a ponytail, but I've never been particularly good at hair or makeup so I keep it as simple as possible.

Of course it's full of secrets! That's why it's so big!

Does anyone else think Davia looks just like her mom?

Yesssss?

She does! I've always thought Priscilla was beautiful. Lucky Davia, taking after her mother. If only Priscilla didn't plan to homeschool...

Of course it's full of secrets! That's why it's so big!

She does! I've always thought Priscilla was beautiful. Lucky Davia, taking after her mother. If only Priscilla didn't plan to homeschool...

If only she hadn't been named Davia.

She's going to grow up thinking that daddy desperately wanted a junior, was prevented from giving it to the eldest and so gave it to kid number 2 despite kid 2 being female :angry-banghead:

A lot of the hardcore ATIs wear pants. Tori wears pants and she works at HQ. John's mom wears shorts and she is hardcore.

Sorry--I had no idea that Tori wore pants. I hadn't recalled any pics of her in pants, and I've only seen her live once & she was in a skirt. I also wasn't aware that John's mom (wife of Rep. Daniel Webster) wore shorts--I've only ever seen her in skirts here in DC, and I also hadn't recalled ever seeing a pic of her in shorts.

I wasn't aware that pants were allowed at Gothard HQ--I assumed that there was a dress code for female "employees"

Don't forget that the Westboro baptist church are hardcore fundies and the girls there wear short shorts while dancing to their butchered contemporary music videos.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://thesop.org/attachments/2009-005/westboro-baptist-church-21243.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thesop.org/story/religion/2010/05/31/westboro-baptist-church-idiots-picket-dios-memorial-service.php&h=219&w=186&tbnid=0I0Hl6mSKN9XVM:&docid=sqiKQ9evTyihbM&ei=9uBdVtzLL4fhaY-TvNgF&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjcnrbPn7vJAhWHcBoKHY8JD1s4kAMQMwgvKCwwLA

(link used so people can don't have to see offensive WBC sign)

Being a fundie means picking and choosing parts of the bible - mixed fabrics anyone?

They can relax modesty standards as part of that to fit in.

Sorry--I had no idea that Tori wore pants. I hadn't recalled any pics of her in pants, and I've only seen her live once & she was in a skirt. I also wasn't aware that John's mom (wife of Rep. Daniel Webster) wore shorts--I've only ever seen her in skirts here in DC, and I also hadn't recalled ever seeing a pic of her in shorts.

I wasn't aware that pants were allowed at Gothard HQ--I assumed that there was a dress code for female "employees"

They have loosened the rules about pants a whole lot. Back when I was at training centers pants were a hug no-no. I'm not sure exactly when they changed the rules, but around 2005ish there was a bit of drama when, for the newsletter, they photoshopped skirts onto girls who were actually wearing jeans. I think they realized that being skirts only was going to prevent some people from joining and by the 2000's they were so desperate for members that it was a "standard" IBLP was willing to drop. 

Alfred(I can't remember his last name) who is one of Gothard's biggest defenders and is deep into ATI has a wife who wears shorts and sleeveless shirts. The new faces of ATI/IBLP typically aren't skirts only and many wear regular bathing suits. My parents still get IBLP newsletters and in one of the recent ones boys were wearing shorts, something that, not that long ago, wouldn't have happened.

I saw photos of them all in shorts and  have seen  photos of them in pants.I doubt Tori can wear pants at HQ but who knows with that crazy man?

I will poke around for the shorts pics. It may  have been on Danny Boy's campaign site. I was pretty surprised.

I'm not surprised that his wife was in shorts.  It's Florida, they'd stand out like a sore thumb if they were wearing jeans in August.  And considering his religious beliefs, that's not the sort of attention they'd want, considering all the crap that would come along with it if they media would ever do their job.

I'm not surprised that his wife was in shorts.  It's Florida, they'd stand out like a sore thumb if they were wearing jeans in August.  And considering his religious beliefs, that's not the sort of attention they'd want, considering all the crap that would come along with it if they media would ever do their job.

Jeans? Yes, she'd probably stick out. Knee-length skirts? Absolutely not.

I think I know of a pic where John's mom is wearing shorts, it's a big family shot. They're outdoors and there's 3 or so babies around the same age, including Allie.

I think both Erin and Alyssa look older than their stated ages. Maybe it's because they want to appear older. Alyssa has the life of someone 10 years older than she.

I think I know of a pic where John's mom is wearing shorts, it's a big family shot. They're outdoors and there's 3 or so babies around the same age, including Allie.

There is an earlier one someone dug up before Alyssa got married and I can't find it here. It may have been linked from somewhere.  I cannot find now and I dug around the archive and online but my GoodTactictm are shameful.

We had a big discussion about it.  Now I am annoyed. But yeah, I bet there is another shot. The Websters' definition of modesty is different than the Bateseseseseeees

I grew up in Florida and

I grew up in Florida. We wore jeans.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do think Alyssa is pregnant and there'll be an announcement soon, either just before the show, or on the show.

f62fabab920b0ee1a6f66ba8ab961197.jpg

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived