IGNORED

Matt Walsh "Ass-Captain of the Universe" talks about rape

treehugger

As in specifically - there is no such thing as rape culture and no rape epidemic: theblaze.com/contributions/rape-culture-doesnt-exist-and-there-is-no-rape-epidemic/

He has 3 points to make:

1. There is no rape epidemic. The 1 in 5 statistic for rape is bullshit. It must be, because

Common sense and a calculator tell you that, if 20 percent of women are raped, there are over 30 million current or future rape victims in the United States. To put that into perspective, feminists believe that the number of rape victims in this country is greater than the population of Texas. You could fill New York City with rape victims — four times over. This just isn’t true. I don’t need to look at a single study to know that it isn’t true. It just isn’t. It’s a wild fabrication. Not just wild — immoral. Immoral because it’s dishonest, but also because it exploits real rape victims.

woooooow. wtf. that article is just full of fuckery.

i do agree slightly on one point: that any rape accuser that is found out to have fabricated the story, they should be punished in some way. not only is an innocent's reputation tarnished, but it then starts giving doubts to real rape victims.

but that's it, that's all i got. this article is just filled to the brim with fuckery and entitled douche-lordiness. i'll quote stan marsh on this one...

"i'm nominating you for the biggest douche in the universe award, you douche!"

woooooow. wtf. that article is just full of fuckery.

i do agree slightly on one point: that any rape accuser that is found out to have fabricated the story, they should be punished in some way. not only is an innocent's reputation tarnished, but it then starts giving doubts to real rape victims.

but that's it, that's all i got. this article is just filled to the brim with fuckery and entitled douche-lordiness. i'll quote stan marsh on this one...

"i'm nominating you for the biggest douche in the universe award, you douche!"

If you mean complete fabrication, I'm with you -- but there are too many inaccurate-AS-REPORTED rapes that are discounted completely when any part of the story is proven false. Like the student at my university who WAS raped, but not gang-raped by strangers in a van as her initial report stated -- which she claimed because she knew and was afraid of her rapist. Fortunately, she was working with someone in campus police who is both compassionate and sees bullshit for what it is, and they got the true account and got her the medical treatment and therapy she needed. I think her "punishment" was working with the women's center on campus and helping with their events (and being supported and further educated by them in the process). I do NOT think that an inaccurate story is the same as a false report, though.

I thought about this, and I think Matt Walsh judgment is clouded by two things: one, the "Lori Illusion', wherein he thinks that if it doesn't happen in his isolated, middle class, white circle, it must not happen at all; and two, the idea that it isn't rape unless it's a complete stranger with a knife or gun.

Trigger warning, some discussion of the realities of rape under the spoiler:

I doubt he has had much experience with Native American women, a group that is EXTREMELY vulnerable to rape. Many, many Native American women are the victims of rape. White women are the least likely of the "races" to be raped.

According to RAINN, who I'd choose to believe over Matt Douche Canoe Walsh any day of the week, 1 in 6 women are the victims of a rape OR attempted rape. This also includes the statistics for those that the victims of statutory rape and child sex abuse. I've worked with the victims of child sex abuse, and it's nauseating how incredibly common it is. He's also probably not counting sexual encounters in which the victim is incapacitated by drugs or alcohol and legally unable to consent. He's also probably not counting sexual encounters that don't involve a penis--even being penetrated with a finger or other object is probably not rape in his book. Take those things together, and yes, I believe that 17.7 million women either had that happen to them or very nearly had that happen to them.

In closing, Matt Walsh just needs to shut the hell up about things he has no knowledge about.

In closing, Matt Walsh just needs to shut the hell up about things he has no knowledge about.

I wonder if he's ever asked his wife if a man has ever -- even once in her life -- touched her inappropriately. Just about every woman I know has had a man brush against her breasts, grab or smack her butt, pinch her or worse. EVERY single one of these is an example of rape culture in action. No, the women aren't being raped and probably aren't even going to call the police because it is just that freaking common. It is considered a fact of life, a risk of being female, if you will. Women's bodies are public property, and that's all there is to it. THAT is what creates rape culture. Not necessarily an epidemic of rape but a mindset in which "boys will be boys," a mindset in which an ass-grope is no big deal and rape victims are always looked at with a degree of suspicion and even the idea that to be raped is shameful but pity the poor high school rapists whose lives are being turned upside down.

Here's the actual study from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtm ... ss6308a1_e

Has Walsh even bothered to look at it?

The methodology and definitions are right there.

The whole "false allegation" thing is totally irrelevant. This was a telephone survey. It has nothing to do with crime stats.

I've had women that I've known - sometimes for a very long time - suddenly disclose that they were sexually assaulted. In fact, that happened with a close friend this past weekend. Not everybody broadcasts their past experiences. Just because Matt Walsh isn't told by 1 in 5 women that there were raped doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Well, apparently Matt Walsh gets his facts (and links for facts) from Cosmo. Because that is obviously the feminist handbook for life :roll:

Also, I completely agree that false rape accusations should carry some sort of punishment - precisely for the reason that people tend to not take real rape claims seriously because of them. I do not, however, think that a false rape claim is anywhere near as damaging and crushing as actual rape - and for Matt Walsh to even try to draw that comparison shows his entitled, white male privilege.

Libby Anne at lovejoyfeminism had an interesting article on false rape accusations:

patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2014/12/crosspost-when-speaking-to-men-about-false-accusations.html

My reaction: who the fuck is Matt Walsh?

It's OK. Google is my friend, but a synopsis would be welcome if anyone has time.

Well, apparently Matt Walsh gets his facts (and links for facts) from Cosmo. Because that is obviously the feminist handbook for life :roll:

Cosmo is Hustler with words instead of pictures.

It's OK. Google is my friend, but a synopsis would be welcome if anyone has time.

He's a late-20-something-year-old blogger who runs off at the (virtual) mouth way too much.

themattwalshblog.com

I have a few FB acquaintances (I refuse to say "friends" in this case) who love to quote him or link to his blog posts from time to time. He is extremely politically conservative and pretty much thinks he knows it all about about everything. Oh, did I happen to mention, a blatant misogynist?

I guess you get my drift. :ew:

I was shocked to find out he's actually Catholic. He sounds like a conservative evangelical, even down to the homeschooling. I followed his blog on FB for awhile, but I've slowly abandoned some parts of conservatism in the last year. I quit with him when he posted a blog called something like, "Your husband doesn't need to earn your respect."

How many people have falsely reported a robbery in order to collect insurance?

How many people have falsely reported an accident to their car in order to collect the insurance?

Why does every law enforcement organization, from the smallest town police force to the FBI, have divisions to investigate fraud?

Because of women who "claim" to have been raped?

Statistically, women who "claim" rape are so and were not raped, are so much not part of the problem. Men who rape women (and a culture that supports that, and the thousands of women who were raped and can't report or deal with it because of the culture) are the problem.

I'd be amazed if there were more false rape reports than more false insurance reports.

Look- victim of rape here.

Never turned it in bc we had dated before the incident. I went and got PlanB the next day.

Not legitimate rape? Go get fucked.

This "man" is the shittiest of all fucktards. Also, he very well knows that unwanted kissing/harassment is not included in those statistics. And why have gang rape be on the far end of his petty spectrum? Rape by one man is horrific and is: rape. He really just wants to be insulting. Fuck his sorry ass. :angry-banghead:

He's a late-20-something-year-old blogger who runs off at the (virtual) mouth way too much.

themattwalshblog.com

I have a few FB acquaintances (I refuse to say "friends" in this case) who love to quote him or link to his blog posts from time to time. He is extremely politically conservative and pretty much thinks he knows it all about about everything. Oh, did I happen to mention, a blatant misogynist?

Thank you. The proliferation of this kind of thinking really frightens me.

I had far too many friends who would repost this ass on my FB. I had to figure out how to block him via FB because his mysogynistic crap would make me stabby.

Another rape victim with bizarrely pro-life parents. I was raped on my second date with the ass and was not allowed to get meds to prevent pregnancy. I was then slut shamed and shipped out to an unwed mother's home for daring to come up pregnant. Yes, these still exist. I was in one 22 years ago but that same one still operates as do others.

Sad facts. I had to lie and deny that my ex-boyfriend and I had ever been sexually active because everyone in my world believed I could only be raped if I was a virgin. And yet, the ex-boyfriend was consensual and never, ever would have ignored me if I said no AND we were meticulous about birth control. When your no gets ignored, the kind of jerk who rapes you is hardly concerned about disease prevention or pregnancy prevention. So in addition to the pregnancy I was forced to endure, I got to go through STD testing including HIV testing back when there was no such thing as rapid testing and it took a YEAR of retesting before you could be declared HIV free. Highlight of my freshman year of college was going to the student health clinic to a special waiting room where we were all assigned random numbers and not names and got to come do it again two weeks later to finally be sure the only legacy from my rape was my broken spirit and a child my mother stole from me.

Second fun fact, I won't speak to my father about my rape to this DAY. He's a college professor now, far more liberal now and self identifies as a feminist these days. And yet, the last time I ever spoke to him about my rape, he informed me that while he knew enlightened thinking says it is never the victim's fault, he would always believe I was partially at fault for my rape.

No blame to himself for falling into fundamentalist Christianity when his secular Jewish upbringing damn well taught him better. No blame for demanding and beating first time obedience into me my whole life so I didn't know HOW to kick and scream and fight when I polite but emphatic no was ignored. No responsibility for his deliberately preventing me from reporting the rape, nor allowing my mother to steal my child. No admission that he forces me to give all of my evidence of the subsequent stalking to my rapist's mother. No apology that he kept me in that unwed mothers home by threat of saying he would take me to my rapist and personally tell him I was pregnant if I didn't stay, despite reading the letters himself where the creep informed me that I belonged to him and God had promised him I belonged to him. No memory that I had said I didn't want to be near the creep after the first date and both my parents told me I would jeopardize my father's pastoral position if I rejected the youth minister's son and anyway since the youth minister would be in the house I was being melodramatic in not wanting to go on that date in the first place. Definitely no apology that he forced me to tell him ALL the details of my rape before he shipped me off.

Nope. I went on that date. And I watched his mother laugh as she locked herself upstairs in confusion. I said no loud and clear and I had NO understanding in my upbringing for what to do after I was ignored except to keep saying NO....until I disassociated and gave up.

Matt Walsh is an ass who has no understanding of anything about women, but especially about rape. My scars may be what have woven into the tapestry of my soul and made me stronger now, but for a long time they damn well nearly destroyed me, and sometimes even through my strength, they still weep and bleed. That's the reality of being a rape victim. You can and usually will become a survivor. But you are still forever changed, not merely by the violation done by the rapist but by the arrogance of society that turns your pain into politics and religion and opinion pieces for every idiot to become an expert and weigh in.

Look- victim of rape here.

Never turned it in bc we had dated before the incident. I went and got PlanB the next day.

Not legitimate rape? Go get fucked.

Same deal here. Didn't think I'd get "justice" because we were engaged.

No PlanB. Meet my 25yo son :D

Matt Walsh is 27. He used to be a talk radio show host, but is now a full-time blogger who writes about "Absolute Truths (and Alpalca Grooming Tips)" :roll:

He went viral last year for a gag-worthy post about the martyrs who are SAHM's: themattwalshblog.com/2013/10/09/youre-a-stay-at-home-mom-what-do-you-do-all-day/ (for what it's worth, I also am a SAHM and am in now way putting down any SAHM) - and has continued to spew mysogenic, ignorant crap ever since.

I wouldn't give him the time of day except that he has considerable influence with both conservative and nots-so conservative people - especially the under 40 crowd (probably because he portrays himself as some sort of hard-ass and likes to make grey areas black and white). I have a lot of friends who follow him on Facebook who are not people I think would necessarily fall for some of the horrible stuff he writes. His Facebook page has over 250,000 likes, and he writes consistently for the Huffington Post and the Blaze.

I'm convinced most of what he writes is for click-bait - which means he inserts himself into so many conversations which he really shouldn't - but people gulp it up and share his posts over and over and over.

themattwalshblog.com

I made a promise to myself to unfriend anyone who links to him. Walsh is the worst sort of entitled asshole douchy bag who talks out of his ass. It's only a matter of time before that snuck becomes a fox pundit.

One of my cousins likes to troll the commenters on Matt Walsh's FB posts so his articles keep showing up in my feed. Cousin's comments are hilarious, but I always have to slog through a bunch of asshole-ish comments to find them. I may need to stop doing that, not good for my blood pressure, lol.

Archived