IGNORED

Caroling/Maxhell Christmas - MERGE

justakitten

Does December 7th strike anyone as super early to be caroling?

Don't be silly! They're BUSY people! They have jobs and outside friends! They have FUN holiday activities to do with those friends! Some of them are planning a winter VACATION independent of the others! So many schedule conflicts! So little real family time!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God. Imagine the Damn Maxwells showing up at your door Caroling. And Steve allows this? I bet they took all the fun happy joyful Christmas songs and replaced them with their own lyrics.

After all nothing brings out the joy the season like singing about death.

That's the funniest spoofed lyrics I've read since I read the lyrics to Frosty Santorum this evening on DailyKos.

Thank you! It should be the FJ anthem.

Same Maxwells. Same holiday. Same shit. Different year. Although I'm not so sure they even know the years are progressing.

I'm glad I am not in their neighborhood and I don't have to be polite every year at the same time.

I'm confused. In the group shot of them in the street, who is on the far left? Nathan or John? In the stupid hat matching Steve. Yuck. The way Melanie is leaning into him, I thought it was Nathan. But about three pics down it looks like John. If it's john I'm quite disappointed he wants to match Steve.

Not snark, but in the family pic with Chris' family, NR Anna looks like she's about 15. And very happy.

Why was it up to NR Anna to not only make all the poppy seed loaves but all the after-caroling snacks? Neither Sarah nor Terie sing or play instruments in the family band so they shouldn't have been busy with the Walk thru Bethlehem. Couldn't they help?

Oh,but they're so super busy with their own schedules. There's lots of polishing cabinets and dusting ceiling fans and writing of banal fictionals to be done.

The Christmas treats look delicious (no animal crackers!) but that has to be the most depressing dining room _ever_. Perfect place to talk about death.

i've seen it used in frosting recipes, like for the super white frosting that uses shortening instead of butter but then add clear butter flavoring.

OK, I'll fess up. I have used Wilton butter flavouring in shortening-based icing like this. I also use a small amount to enhance the natural butter flavour of American buttercream* icing, which I otherwise don't find buttery enough (but you can't add more butter because it will ruin the consistency). And it is vegan, so it is helpful if you are baking for a vegan and the imitation butter you've bought tastes weird. Its not great for you, but in small amounts it can be very helpful as a cheat in a recipe you can't add (more) actual butter to.

*By American buttercream, I mean 1 cup butter, 4 cups icing sugar, and 2 tbsp milk. Its not as nice as Swiss meringue buttercream (which involves egg whites, and which has almost the opposite butter:sugar ratio) but it takes WAY less time to whip up.

Oh,but they're so super busy with their own schedules. There's lots of polishing cabinets and dusting ceiling fans and writing of banal fictionals to be done.

Haha!!

OK, I'll fess up. I have used Wilton butter flavouring in shortening-based icing like this. I also use a small amount to enhance the natural butter flavour of American buttercream* icing, which I otherwise don't find buttery enough (but you can't add more butter because it will ruin the consistency). And it is vegan, so it is helpful if you are baking for a vegan and the imitation butter you've bought tastes weird. Its not great for you, but in small amounts it can be very helpful as a cheat in a recipe you can't add (more) actual butter to.

*By American buttercream, I mean 1 cup butter, 4 cups icing sugar, and 2 tbsp milk. Its not as nice as Swiss meringue buttercream (which involves egg whites, and which has almost the opposite butter:sugar ratio) but it takes WAY less time to whip up.

Ok, now I can see some purpose for butter flavor. White frosting and dairy free items make a lot of sense. I still think real butter would be much better in their poppy seed loaf - if they were trying to make it dairy free I'd think that was thoughtful of them, but the recipe contains milk.

"Here we come a-doom-saying

Amid the ice and snow,

Here we come a-screeching,

I know you wish we'd go.

Death and gloom come to you

and to you God's dooming too

And God wrest you and send you

to Hell for this new year!

And God send you to Hell for this new year!"

Did they just sing "In the Bleak Midwinter" over and over and over...?

Hey now - don't be hating on "In the Bleak Midwinter." It's one of my favorite carols!

Re the butter flavoring: I've never used it, but as a baker with a zillion years of experience, I've learned that using butter when oil is called for ( or vice versa) in a cake or quickbread recipe may cause less-than-ideal results, because physics and chemistry.

Stevie got run over by a reindeer

Caroling around on Christmas Eve

They say there is no such thing as Santa

But as for me and FJ, we believe

Why was it up to NR Anna to not only make all the poppy seed loaves but all the after-caroling snacks? Neither Sarah nor Terie sing or play instruments in the family band so they shouldn't have been busy with the Walk thru Bethlehem. Couldn't they help?

I'm also wondering what is keeping the Maxwells so busy. This month's Mom's Corner is a repeat from 2009/2010.

There are seven full grown people in that house. What are they up to that they have so little time lately?

Stevie got run over by a reindeer

Caroling around on Christmas Eve

They say there is no such thing as Santa

But as for me and FJ, we believe

Love this!!

I'm also wondering what is keeping the Maxwells so busy. This month's Mom's Corner is a repeat from 2009/2010.

There are seven full grown people in that house. What are they up to that they have so little time lately?

Maybe John bought Gigi's house and she moving in with Teri and Steve. At 80+ she does not need a headship.

That is definitely John Matching Steve. And I see no Nathan...

And those matching coats sported by NR Anna and Melanie are like $200!!!!!

Nathan is in the very last group picture when they were at home. I think he must have been the one taking the picture of the group during the caroling.

Well, it's Pearl Harbor Day. I wonder if that's why they felt the need to explain. Still doesn't make any sense but.... :roll: :roll:

I don't get her having to explain why they did it on December 7. Do they even know that it's Pearl Harbor Day.

Same Maxwells. Same holiday. Same shit. Different year. Although I'm not so sure they even know the years are progressing.

I'm glad I am not in their neighborhood and I don't have to be polite every year at the same time.

Same here! I really wonder if the neighbors like that they do this every year.

Stevie baby, slip One Ton Ramp under the tree for me;

Been an awful bad girl, Stevie baby,

So hurry with my chore pack tonight.

Stevie baby, an extra-modest frumper outfit too, light blue;

I'll wait up for you, dear; Stevie baby,

Think of all the Pepsi I've missed;

Think of all the fellas that I wish I’d kissed;

Next year I could be just as bad...if you check off my Christmas list.

Stevie baby, I want Uriah and really that's not a lot;

Been a devil all year; Stevie baby,

Stevie honey, one little thing I really need...

The deed...to the gates of Hell, Stevie baby,

Stevie cutie, please sing a chorus of “Trust and Obey,â€

Tell me where I’m going when I die,

And hurry with my chore pack tonight.

Come remove the Christmas tree

From the home for elderly;

I really do believe it's true -

Cleaning is THE THING to do!

Stevie baby, forgot to mention one little thing...sheltering...

Take away my beastly TV; Stevie baby,

And hurry with my chore pack tonight,

Hurry with my chore pack tonight,

Hurry, tonight!

I don't get her having to explain why they did it on December 7. Do they even know that it's Pearl Harbor Day.

Maybe because it's a Sunday -"The Lord's Day" and they keep it "holy"?

Stevie baby, slip One Ton Ramp under the tree for me;

Been an awful bad girl, Stevie baby,

Stevie baby, an extra-modest frumper outfit too, light blue;

I'll wait up for you, dear; Stevie baby,

Think of all the Pepsi I've missed;

Think of all the fellas that I wish I’d kissed;

Next year I could be just as bad...if you check off my Christmas list.

Stevie baby, I want Uriah and really that's not a lot;

Been a devil all year; Stevie baby,

Stevie honey, one little thing I really need...

The deed...to the gates of Hell, Stevie baby,

Stevie cutie, please sing a chorus of “Trust and Obey,â€

Tell me where I’m going when I die,

And hurry with my chore pack tonight.

Come remove the Christmas tree

From the home for elderly;

I really do believe it's true -

Cleaning is THE THING to do!

Stevie baby, forgot to mention one little thing...sheltering...

Take away my beastly TV; Stevie baby,

And hurry with my chore pack tonight,

Hurry with my chore pack tonight,

Hurry, tonight!

This is great! Can just hear Eartha Kitt singing these lyrics.

Archived