IGNORED

Caroling/Maxhell Christmas - MERGE

justakitten

the question I always wanted to know about people who wear shoes in the house, is...

How do you get all comfy and curled up on the couch with shoes on?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the question I always wanted to know about people who wear shoes in the house, is...

We leave the shoes in front of the couch and get them on as soon as we get up from the couch.

Jesus Christ!

Serious question for those of you who wear your shoes in the house: Do you have snow/rain/wet-sticky-weather? How do you avoid traipsing mud and slush through the house? I'm thinking specifically of that horrible half-melted snow you get in the spring that leaves wet footprints all over the mud room floor even after you've wiped your feet on the mat, the kind that makes me perform gymnastics to reach my slippers without putting so much as a single stockinged toe on the floor. Would you wear snow boots outside and change into clean shoes when you get home? Or do you just not get that kind of precipitation?

There's a bunch of options for shoes, but one pattern is to treat the floor as always dirty. Under that system, you keep shoes (or slippers) by the bed, so when you get up, you step right into some shoes. And you wouldn't sit on the floor. Places with actual dirt floors are often this way.

Shoes OR not I have never understood why anyone ever thought carpet (as in nailed down, permanent, wall to wall carpet) was a good idea for either a bathroom or kitchen. But there's loads of old apartments from the 70's with brown carpet in those places. Toilets overflow, man. Kids splash in the bath. If you like softness underfoot surely a changeable RUG is better?

Generally you don't. If it's "the floor is dirty" system, you take your shoes (or slippers) off and leave them by the sofa when you put your feet up on it to curl up. ...I see latraviata does this too.

Completely 180 degrees the other way, places where "the floor is always clean" and insist on no outside shoes in the house (Japan is this way) many places have shoes specifically for wearing inside. The schools I went to, just inside the main doors are rows and rows of little shoe cubbies, as you come in the building, you take your outside shoes off, step onto a wooden platform by the lockers in your socks, put on your inside shoes (from the cubby) and put your outside shoes in the locker. Leaving school you do the reverse.

Looks like this:

sk02a19b.jpg

They provide slippers or a variety of loaner inside shoes for guests, often with the school name printed on.

But yeah "change into another pair of shoes" is definitely a thing.

We leave the shoes in front of the couch and get them on as soon as we get up from the couch.

Jesus Christ!

Wow, relax. What's there to get so worked up about? Shoes on, shoes off, my God it's such a trivial little thing. I'm shocked anything even resembling a debate can be had about whether or not people wear shoes in their own house. Who cares? :shock:

There's a bunch of options for shoes, but one pattern is to treat the floor as always dirty. Under that system, you keep shoes (or slippers) by the bed, so when you get up, you step right into some shoes. And you wouldn't sit on the floor. Places with actual dirt floors are often this way.

Shoes OR not I have never understood why anyone ever thought carpet (as in nailed down, permanent, wall to wall carpet) was a good idea for either a bathroom or kitchen. But there's loads of old apartments from the 70's with brown carpet in those places. Toilets overflow, man. Kids splash in the bath. If you like softness underfoot surely a changeable RUG is better?

Generally you don't. If it's "the floor is dirty" system, you take your shoes (or slippers) off and leave them by the sofa when you put your feet up on it to curl up. ...I see latraviata does this too.

Completely 180 degrees the other way, places where "the floor is always clean" and insist on no outside shoes in the house (Japan is this way) many places have shoes specifically for wearing inside. The schools I went to, just inside the main doors are rows and rows of little shoe cubbies, as you come in the building, you take your outside shoes off, step onto a wooden platform by the lockers in your socks, put on your inside shoes (from the cubby) and put your outside shoes in the locker. Leaving school you do the reverse.

Looks like this:

sk02a19b.jpg

They provide slippers or a variety of loaner inside shoes for guests, often with the school name printed on.

But yeah "change into another pair of shoes" is definitely a thing.

The "floor is always dirty" thing makes sense. Kind of like how in a public place you wouldn't walk around barefoot because the floor is dirty?

Jesus Christ!

What does Jesus have to do with putting on your shoes?

Someone asked about other than snowy, slushy climates so here goes. In Southern California, I have seen snow twice at my house. Go play in it dear children and it's OK to run into the house to yell about it. Now as to the rest of life...

Most of the year it is sunny and shoes are allowed in after a dusting on the mat. Rain and mud, however, go into the house through the garage or laundry room and leave the wet or dirty shoes there.

My mother was a shoes in the house person until she saw marks on the hardwood floors from heels.

I am definitely not in general a germaphobe or easily grossed out but carpets in bathrooms bother me so much. I don't understand how that was ever in style. :cray-cray: :ew:

What does Jesus have to do with putting on your shoes?

But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet.

-Luke 15:22

From this we learn that you should always wear your robe, ring, and shoes in the house.

I am definitely not in general a germaphobe or easily grossed out but carpets in bathrooms bother me so much. I don't understand how that was ever in style. :cray-cray: :ew:

Think about all the mold a constantly wet carpet generates. Ugh. :disgust:

But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet.

-Luke 15:22

From this we learn that you should always wear your robe, ring, and shoes in the house.

Can we get back to snarking about the Maxwells Christmas? I only ask because every time I read more about slippers, I tried going shoeless in my house, and without my orthotics, I hurt. Thank you.

There's a dearth of photos of Mary Rose Lillebelle or whatever Christopher's daughters name is. What's that about? Surely she's a cute little girl… Was she just didn't cranky mood? Was her mother in a cranky mood? Impossible! Max hellions are always in good moods, don't you know that?!

Is Nathan in fact Steve's favorite? Steve, are you smiling that we're even thinking along these lines? I find it curious that you want to shelter your children and grandchildren so extremely, and yet expose a good deal of their lives to the huge world of the Internet. if you could find that it's been laid on your heart to address your sheltering ideas and their biblical origins some time, I seriously would be very interested to read them. Thanks!

Maybe Ruthann(e) (how do they spell it?) was sick on Christmas? That would explain why she wasn't in photos, I suppose.

And, back to the dreaded headbands with the huge flowers Sarah keeps wearing. I don't even mind that she wears headbands -- it's a good way to keep your long hair under control without clips. It's the big flowers that bug me. She's 32. Rebecca Loomis is about her age and manages to wear ribbons in her hair as headbands sans the big ole flower. I think it looks fine on her. And if Stevie has been so worried about buttons in "inappropriate" places on blouses, doesn't a big flower on a headband draw attention to Sarah's hair, and isn't there something in the Bible that most super conservatives adhere to that women are not to call attention to their hair (so they aren't supposed to braid it or do anything alluring with it?). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is the main reason I tend to wear slip-on shoes when possible -- crocs, clogs, slippers, etc.

When I'm doing serious yard work or serious walking and need "real" shoes on, I can't wait to take them off again...

Can we get back to snarking about the Maxwells Christmas? I only ask because every time I read more about slippers, I tried going shoeless in my house, and without my orthotics, I hurt. Thank you.

There's a dearth of photos of Mary Rose Lillebelle or whatever Christopher's daughters name is. What's that about? Surely she's a cute little girl… Was she just didn't cranky mood? Was her mother in a cranky mood? Impossible! Max hellions are always in good moods, don't you know that?!

Is Nathan in fact Steve's favorite? Steve, are you smiling that we're even thinking along these lines? I find it curious that you want to shelter your children and grandchildren so extremely, and yet expose a good deal of their lives to the huge world of the Internet. if you could find that it's been laid on your heart to address your sheltering ideas and their biblical origins some time, I seriously would be very interested to read them. Thanks!

That has long fueled my ISB. It is not hard to extrapolate that in patriarchal households like this the first son (and to follow, first grandson) hold a special place of honor.

That has long fueled my ISB. It is not hard to extrapolate that in patriarchal households like this the first son (and to follow, first grandson) hold a special place of honor.

I think even though Nate is the oldest Chris is Steve's favorite cuz Nate got out before the family hit the bottom of the rabbit hole. Nate and Mel actually held hands before they wed so they are not as "pure" as Chris/NR Anna and Joe/Elissa. That and the fact NRAnna wears frumpers and produced the first grandson.

Re: Elissa's clothing...I'm guessing it's just trying to fit in with her new in-laws. Which would make sense-you want to impress the new family, especially living in such close quarters!

Re: Tina. Was that always her name? I'm not good with remembering their names but I have no memory of a grandchild named Tina.

Maybe Ruthann(e) (how do they spell it?) was sick on Christmas? That would explain why she wasn't in photos, I suppose.

And, back to the dreaded headbands with the huge flowers Sarah keeps wearing. I don't even mind that she wears headbands -- it's a good way to keep your long hair under control without clips. It's the big flowers that bug me. She's 32. Rebecca Loomis is about her age and manages to wear ribbons in her hair as headbands sans the big ole flower. I think it looks fine on her. And if Stevie has been so worried about buttons in "inappropriate" places on blouses, doesn't a big flower on a headband draw attention to Sarah's hair, and isn't there something in the Bible that most super conservatives adhere to that women are not to call attention to their hair (so they aren't supposed to braid it or do anything alluring with it?). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's a verse in one of the epistles (don't know which one -James, maybe?) about not wearing elaborate hair dress like braids and such. I think it also talks about not wearing jewelry, too.

Re: Elissa's clothing...I'm guessing it's just trying to fit in with her new in-laws. Which would make sense-you want to impress the new family, especially living in such close quarters!

Re: Tina. Was that always her name? I'm not good with remembering their names but I have no memory of a grandchild named Tina.

Her full name is Christina.

If Steve has a "favorite" son, it is either Christopher or Joeseph. If you read their individual writing over years, Christopher and Joeseph both display a religious tone in their writing that is orders of magnitude more fanatical than how Nathan writes. They're lives are much more tightly controlled to live out Steve's ideals. Nathan didn't do all that squicky no touch courtship, fasting to get engaged, get married by daddy nonsense the other two did. Nathan's wife still has full contact with her non crazy cakes family and so do Nathan's kids. It's not about birth order for Steve, it's about obedience and conformity.

There's a verse in one of the epistles (don't know which one -James, maybe?) about not wearing elaborate hair dress like braids and such. I think it also talks about not wearing jewelry, too.

! Timothy 9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Also the section that woman got the "holy women don't have pain during labor" concept.

salex, thanks for the correct scripture citation and quote. I couldn't remember exactly what epistle it was in and, frankly, I wasn't going to look it up late last night.

Archived