IGNORED

WWYD if fundies coming to your party

iknowright

And they had caused much trauma to loved ones in your life...as in they had sucked in some of your loved ones into their rotten world? But the only way to stay attached to your loved ones were to let the new cult fundies in on occasion?

What if they were to show up at your house? I'm thinking of serving some mixed drinks, wearing as much makeup, shortest skirt, and tightest top I can find...maybe a few temporary tatoos to boot. What would you do?

:D

I'm thinking LSD in the punch bowl. What could possibly go wrong?

Otherwise, just take some valium and enjoy the party.

:D

Keep the ideas coming...I also plan on blaring some Aerosmith or something like that...maybe a playlist?

ac/dc's "highway to hell" is a classic :D

Perfect! Maybe Hotel California played backwards???

yesss get those satanic vibes going! :P

LOL. I Have a bunch of fundie cousins (my mother escaped fundieland, their mother didn't) but I wish them no ill will and they've never really hurt me. But they/their parents know if they come to our house, we are not going to change to appease them.

I kissed a girl by Katy Perry

Hell Bells and you shook me all night long by AC/DC

Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones

Je t'aime by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg

I kissed a girl by Katy Perry

Hell Bells and you shook me all night long by AC/DC

Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones

Je t'aime by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg

In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly? :P

maybe even have a chicken in a cage for a "sacrifice" later :P

I'm guessing if your party is "worldy" enough, you won't even have to deliberately annoy them. They'll leave of their own accord to stay "pure." Or not come at all to avoid tarnishing their testimony.

That said, since you asked "wwyd," I'll answer what I would actually do.

I grew up fundy and still have friends who are "in." If I were to have them over, I would try to avoid antagonizing or offending them just in the name of being a good host (again, remember, these people are actual friends -- not friends of friends, which is what it sounds like you're talking about). But I'd wear and serve and listen to what I wanted. I just wouldn't go out of my way to be obnoxious or offensive towards them. In other situations where we've had play dates or whatever with these friends, I've reminded my kids that different families have different beliefs, and it's best to try to respect those beliefs and not offend them when possible. But again, these are people with whom I have a long-standing relationship and a good relationship. I want to keep it that way.

Be kind to them and an excellent hostess--show them you don't need their flavor of religion to be a good, mature, upstanding member of society.

Keep the ideas coming...I also plan on blaring some Aerosmith or something like that...maybe a playlist?

It also depends on how fundie they are and of course on the other guests who aren't fundie.

Fundies usually are already shocked if some secular music with a beat is played. Depending on the tastes of the other guests it can be good old rock'n'roll: Elvis (jailhouse rock for example), Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker (let's twist again) and so on.

The more people are dancing to it, the better. Most fundies loathe dancing.

Modern pop and country are also good. "God love her" by Toby Keith is about a preachers daughter who runs away with a guy on a motorcycle.

Hip Hop is also hated by fundies. Anything offensive by some gansta-rappers. Or same love by Macklemore is about gay marriage. The fundies will just love it.

I don't want to be rude to them, but they aren't my friends. As a matter of fact, they specifically went after a loved ones to ensure a marriage with one of their own fundies...and they have been pretty successful at changing my loved one. I just want my loved one to remember what his/her background was and all they've jettisoned to be a part of this fundie cult whacked out jacked up nut job group.

I forgot how much fundies hate dancing, but this loved one was GREAT at it just two years ago and never missed an opportunity. And now...no more dancing! :angry-banghead:

I don't want to be rude to them, but they aren't my friends. As a matter of fact, they specifically went after a loved ones to ensure a marriage with one of their own fundies...and they have been pretty successful at changing my loved one. I just want my loved one to remember what his/her background was and all they've jettisoned to be a part of this fundie cult whacked out jacked up nut job group.

I forgot how much fundies hate dancing, but this loved one was GREAT at it just two years ago and never missed an opportunity. And now...no more dancing! :angry-banghead:

if your loved one is coming, maybe play some songs they really enjoyed dancing to.

Be kind to them and an excellent hostess--show them you don't need their flavor of religion to be a good, mature, upstanding member of society.

Amen! My thoughts exactly. As hilarious as some of these ideas are, blasting unseemly music, wearing a "Nike" outfit, and generally just doing everything that you can to offend them would only serve to prove them "right" (in their minds). If you show them that you can be everything they strive to be, i.e. a kind, mature, thoughtful upstanding member of society without joining their fundie cult, you might reveal some truths to them, rather than the other way around.

I wouldn't change a damn thing. It's your party, not theirs. My husband has a cousin who is our age ( 50-ish) but in his teens, adopted an Orthodox Jewish lifestyle. He felt it was his job to spread the word and bring us into the fold. He suggested rabbis and caterers for the wedding and mohels for the bris. Well, we were married by a female rabbi (friend of the family) and had Junior circ'd in the hospital the day after he was born. I'm sure he was very uncomfortable at our wedding but he was outnumbered by 127 partyers. (We did have sealed kosher meals brought in for him, and some other kosher people there. )

Amen! My thoughts exactly. As hilarious as some of these ideas are, blasting unseemly music, wearing a "Nike" outfit, and generally just doing everything that you can to offend them would only serve to prove them "right" (in their minds). If you show them that you can be everything they strive to be, i.e. a kind, mature, thoughtful upstanding member of society without joining their fundie cult, you might reveal some truths to them, rather than the other way around.

This is what I would do...

But if you're set on an offensive playlist don't forget Nine Inch Nails!

[search][/search]

What you do is your choice, but be aware that you could further alienate your relative by doing this--and force them deeper into fundiedom.

[search][/search]

What you do is your choice, but be aware that you could further alienate your relative by doing this--and force them deeper into fundiedom.

And that thought has also crossed my mind... :think:

The way I'm this is that you invited someone you care about, and in order for him/her to come, s/he has to bring along a spouse or some inlaws or something.

In this instance, I'd be cordial upon greeting them all, and make sure that you have beverage/food/etc that they like, then go about your normal party. I'm in the group that says why go out of your way to antagonize them? I know my simply being can antagonize some of my fundie inlaws, and that is when I'm avoiding topics I know we conflict over. If you haven't een your loved on in a while, try to get him/her to talk with you and really catch up. Make it worth your while to have the people you don't like in your house by getting to visi with your loved one.

Otherwise, I'd just do the same music, etc, a I'd do ordinarily. Poking the fundies might be fun, but if it costs you seeing your loved one again in the future, it might not be worth it. You don't have to tone it down, but why tone it up?

Archived