IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect - "Gayby" on Board

happy atheist

It's like trying to eat dog or cat - animals that you don't eat in your culture. It depends how "open minded" you are to cultural difference in animals. I understand that some people really can't eat some animals. Personnaly, I think I can eat any animals. So, I would love to try whales. And eat sharks again. I have ate the best sharks in a french-irish restaurant in Dingle, Ireland. I would give my soul to the devil to try again.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I sit on my verandah in the evening sun, reading FJ while eating kangaroo shish kebabs and salad, I am amused at how far we have drifted from Lauren.

Eating "foreign" meats is not always a bad experience. I didn't have lamb until my 20's and it is one of my favorite meats now. That said, I probably wouldn't want to eat cat, dog, or whale (because whales aren't exactly plentiful and I'd feel guilty). I like squid and alligator just fine, though. And I might like to try kangaroo.

Eating "foreign" meats is not always a bad experience. I didn't have lamb until my 20's and it is one of my favorite meats now. That said, I probably wouldn't want to eat cat, dog, or whale (because whales aren't exactly plentiful and I'd feel guilty). I like squid and alligator just fine, though. And I might like to try kangaroo.

I quite like kangaroo, and I didn't eat any meat for my whole life until I was pregnant for the first time, so I am quite picky about meat - I still don't like lamb and won't eat pork products. That said, I don't mind kangaroo. It's a very lean meat, which I like, and although it does have a bit of a gamey flavour I find it to be fine in sausages or mince cooked in some sort of sauce. It's an eco friendly choice here in Australia where kangaroos are culled by farmers and the meat is usually either fed to dogs or thrown away. Not many kangaroo shooters bother with the hygiene requirements for human consumption, which keeps the price up, but it would be great for the Australian environment of we ate more kangaroo and less lamb and beef.

As I sit on my verandah in the evening sun, reading FJ while eating kangaroo shish kebabs and salad, I am amused at how far we have drifted from Lauren.

:lol:

and isn't it crazy to think that some people eat bugs? i guess lobster is similar to a bug... when i see people cracking them open all i can think is big red roach lol but just, wow. Eating bugs seems pretty desperate.

Rattlesnakes, though. Supposed to be pretty good. 8-)

[bBvideo 560,340:3bvvp5kw]

[/bBvideo]

and isn't it crazy to think that some people eat bugs? i guess lobster is similar to a bug... when i see people cracking them open all i can think is big red roach lol but just, wow. Eating bugs seems pretty desperate.

[bBvideo 560,340:11vi0t4n]

[/bBvideo]

Any source of protein is precious when people are hungry enough. It reminds me of a Terry Pratchett quote from Interesting Times (paraphrased) - "When folk have a cuisine based around bugs and pigs ears and lips it tells you that someone else was getting most of the pig". Sorry, the exact quote is much wittier but a quick google didn't turn it up.

I had kangaroo once but unfortunately it was after way too much red wine, so I can't really remember it. I think it tasted like whale - dark, lean meat.

It was quite reasonably priced, from what I remember - I think my uncle had bought it from the supermarket at about $AU5 for 500g or similar (about five years ago.)

aussie here. I think the concept of eating dogs, cats, rats etc is so foreign to me because our meat is pretty much from herbivores. Eating a carnivore or omnivore doesn't appeal at all.

I quite like kangaroo, and I didn't eat any meat for my whole life until I was pregnant for the first time, so I am quite picky about meat - I still don't like lamb and won't eat pork products. That said, I don't mind kangaroo. It's a very lean meat, which I like, and although it does have a bit of a gamey flavour I find it to be fine in sausages or mince cooked in some sort of sauce. It's an eco friendly choice here in Australia where kangaroos are culled by farmers and the meat is usually either fed to dogs or thrown away. Not many kangaroo shooters bother with the hygiene requirements for human consumption, which keeps the price up, but it would be great for the Australian environment of we ate more kangaroo and less lamb and beef.

*raises hand*

I'm willing to help Australia out with the kangaroo issue! As long as the animal isn't riddled with worms or diseased, I am ready to lend whatever support I can. :D

Kangaroo stands out to me, as one of the best meats I've ever had. But I can't find it here, so have to make do with deer, pheasant and rabbit. :violin: So, whom do I petition for Australia to grant me an unlimited visa, against the promise of eating as much wild kangaroo as I can? :mrgreen:

P.S.: I'd be willing to learn how to hunt for that.

aussie here. I think the concept of eating dogs, cats, rats etc is so foreign to me because our meat is pretty much from herbivores. Eating a carnivore or omnivore doesn't appeal at all.

I agree, I'm squeamish about eating other carnivores/omnivores.

Samurai-Sarah, please come. You will be most welcome. Mr Miggy likes to make roo stir fry so let us know when you are coming and I'll get him to cook. Kangaroo is the cheapest of the red meats in my area so we eat it a lot.

[bBvideo 560,340:376qjfo4]

[/bBvideo]

Lobsters basically ARE the cockroaches of the sea. I've heard people refer to lobsters as bugs- I think it's a Northeast/New England thing... I love them anyways.

With a chef for a husband, we've had some strange meals. I've had rattlesnake "nuggets" and was kind of meh about it. I love squid, octopus and cuttlefish. I've had javelina (wild pig), it's pretty gamey. Black bear- not my favorite. We had nutria once, and that was kind of ok. Iguana is disgusting- never again will I even try that. Guinea pig/Cuy is actually pretty tasty.

Lobsters basically ARE the cockroaches of the sea. I've heard people refer to lobsters as bugs- I think it's a Northeast/New England thing... I love them anyways.

With a chef for a husband, we've had some strange meals. I've had rattlesnake "nuggets" and was kind of meh about it. I love squid, octopus and cuttlefish. I've had javelina (wild pig), it's pretty gamey. Black bear- not my favorite. We had nutria once, and that was kind of ok. Iguana is disgusting- never again will I even try that. Guinea pig/Cuy is actually pretty tasty.

Bear meat can vary wildly, based on age of the bear and what it's been eating. And, obviously, the processing. I generally don't care for it as its been tough and gamy. My boss did bring some bear jerky in last year though that I could not get enough of.

I've had some interesting meals while traveling also. I don't know if I could stand to eat a guinea pig though.

Lately I've wanted to try puffin, but i haven't been sent to that region of Alaska lately, and it's a real honor when native people share their food with you. It can't be bought or sold, so I have to wait for someone to offer it to me. Which also means I have to eat it, and sometimes that can be difficult. Eskimo Ice Cream (Akutuq) is hard to stomach, IMO.

So no on the Iguana? I was thinking it would be a meatier version of frog legs, which aren't bad at all.

SNIP

So no on the Iguana? I was thinking it would be a meatier version of frog legs, which aren't bad at all.

It was both tasteless and fishy tasting at the same time. Very mushy. I did not like the texture AT ALL.

Frog legs are digusting for me :?

Well, thank you freejinger. Now I'm hungry AND I want to go to Australia and tastes the food :lol:

How taste snake ? And crocodile ?

I'm a horse personn. I love to eat horse meat, once or twice by weeks. It's expensive, but so gooooood. There is less and less people who eat horses in France, so it's more difficult to find it. Some people even want to forbid it :cry:

Snails and frogs. URG. Two meat that I can't stand :?

Crocodile tasted like muddy fish when I tried it. However, game meat can be really inconsistent in quality so I wouldn't take my experience as a reason not to try it.

I've heard snake is nice. I have Vietnamese friends who use to eat it all the time before they came to Aus and they say it is one food they really miss.

They sell containers of shark at all the Icelandic grocery stores. It's fermented and smells like shit.

According to my boyfriend, the hakarl (shark) tasted like ammonia, sweat socks, and the smell of rotten cheese.

The whale he tried (not the blubber - the meat) tasted like beef with a fishy aftertaste.

I'm game to try pretty much any meat, I'm a total carnivore (who was raised with a pescatarian father and never got it more than once or twice at home so I get ridiculously excited eating it at other people's homes).

One of my nieces or nephews dared one of the others to order frog legs once and I tried one. I thought they tasted like pond. :lol:

Lamb is awesome, snails were awesome, love mussels and clams. rabbit is good but I think I only had it once. LOVE bison. If I could get a friend who hunts I'd happily eat deer, squirrel whatever. I laugh when I hear about people freaking out about rumors of horse meat in McD's hamburgers because that is totally the LAST thing that would bother me about their food.

There have been a few mentions of lamb in amongst other unusual meat. In Aus lamb is up there with chicken and beef in the supermarket and on our tables at home.

My family loves a good lamb roast with rosemary. Served with mint sauce of course. And my British mum would always serve roast lamb too. No barbecue is complete without lamb chops at our house.

Is it unusual elsewhere?

There have been a few mentions of lamb in amongst other unusual meat. In Aus lamb is up there with chicken and beef in the supermarket and on our tables at home.

My family loves a good lamb roast with rosemary. Served with mint sauce of course. And my British mum would always serve roast lamb too. No barbecue is complete without lamb chops at our house.

Is it unusual elsewhere?

We always had lamb at Easter. So delicious! We went to a Greek festival last weekend, and they were having a lamb raffle. If you won, you got to pick your lamb, they'd prepare it for cooking (you could pick if you wanted the head on or off). $1 a ticket.

Snails were actually pretty common eating growing up. We had escargot plates. I think my parents might have gotten them for a wedding present...

Rabbit is another thing that I consider pretty commonplace, and I'm surprised if someone labels it as exotic. Also delicious.

Archived