IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect - "Gayby" on Board

happy atheist

There have been a few mentions of lamb in amongst other unusual meat. In Aus lamb is up there with chicken and beef in the supermarket and on our tables at home.

My family loves a good lamb roast with rosemary. Served with mint sauce of course. And my British mum would always serve roast lamb too. No barbecue is complete without lamb chops at our house.

Is it unusual elsewhere?

Lamb is actually pretty unusual in the US. Most meats at the supermarkets here are beef/pork/chicken-related, as well as some seafood (some types of fish, scallops, clams, oysters, and shrimp, usually). Occasionally I have seen veal, but not often. When I see lamb, it's usually at a specialty grocer/farmer's market or on the menu at upscale restaurants or places that serve Greek cuisine or authentic Irish.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamb is actually pretty unusual in the US. Most meats at the supermarkets here are beef/pork/chicken-related, as well as some seafood (some types of fish, scallops, clams, oysters, and shrimp, usually). Occasionally I have seen veal, but not often. When I see lamb, it's usually at a specialty grocer/farmer's market or on the menu at upscale restaurants or places that serve Greek cuisine or authentic Irish.

I see lamb at the regular supermarket all the time. Safeway, Costco, etc...not a speciality shop.

Goat is common in cooked food, but I don't think that they carry it at the big grocery chains.

Lamb is actually pretty unusual in the US. Most meats at the supermarkets here are beef/pork/chicken-related, as well as some seafood (some types of fish, scallops, clams, and shrimp, usually). Occasionally I have seen veal, but not often. When I see lamb, it's usually at a specialty grocer/farmer's market or on the menu at upscale restaurants or places that serve Greek cuisine or authentic Irish.

I think, like everything in the United States, it depends on where you are located.

I don't think lamb would be unusual or exotic. I buy it at Safeway. When I was growing up in the midwest, we had it every Easter, at least.

I also don't think rabbits (thought I've never had rabbit) is exotic as much as trashy and maybe unusual for middle class US. (I realize this is terribly judgmental, though I'm not going to apologize for it.) As a former rabbit as pet person, it's up there with cat and dog for me. Even though I know it's commonplace in certain areas of the US. I think it's starting to not be as popular though. There was, supposedly, a fundie family on the board that shall not be named (let's just refer to it as (M)(O)m(M)y'(S) of too many children) that had one of their many children raise, clean and sell rabbits for food.

I see lamb at the regular supermarket all the time. Safeway, Costco, etc...not a speciality shop.

Goat is common in cooked food, but I don't think that they carry it at the big grocery chains.

In the south they often had pig's heads, snouts, feet, and chicken feet. This was for the people who loved South American cooking, i think. We used to get so creeped out as little kids when mom went down the refrigerated aisles.

In the south they often had pig's heads, snouts, feet, and chicken feet. This was for the people who loved South American cooking, i think. We used to get so creeped out as little kids when mom went down the refrigerated aisles.

The offal selection at Fry's and Safeway is pretty impressive. Tripe, trotters, tongue, chitlins, heart. The kids will walk down the meat aisle and try to guess what animal it came from. Beef heart is really good.

I can't eat lamb. They're just too cute.

lamb_zps119d3045.jpg

Better like this

051104057-01-roasted-leg-lamb_xlg.jpg

I've lived in several different US regions and always found lamb at normal supermarkets like Safeway, QFC, Martins, Stop and Shop, etc, and including Costco and Trader Joes. Fifteen years ago it was expensive and NZ, but about ten years ago there a flood of Australian lamb, and it became much much cheaper, about the same as good beef. Veal is, I think, less common but still widely available (I don't buy it, but I do notice it). I don't see offal often at all.

I can't eat lamb. They're just too cute.

lamb_zps119d3045.jpg

Child of a farmer here. This ^ is a few weeks old and is cute. Twelve months later the 'lamb' is a great huge smelly and stupid creature that you are happy to send to the butcher.

Our local butcher sells 1/4 sheep for $30. It's an older animal so you have to cook to carefully but it tastes better than lamb. We buy one at Christmas to share when the family come and we are feeding an army.

In any case I didn't think Lauren was really promoting the blubber. But she was rather er...neutral about it.

This is the same woman who reduced her kid to tears over a happy cow yogurt.

Seriously. Is this woman completely mad? Talk about alienating her big crunchy following. The whale IS the sacred cow in that bunch.

Our grocery stores stock small *very small* amounts of lamb.

I see it. But it's like $14/lb. :pink-shock: Not something most people in this area can afford to eat regularly. So in that sense, it's rare.

Gosh, I'd love a lamb roast about now. I haven't had it in about 7 years. :(

Guess I should offer to host a Christmas party for all of FJ. Unlimited roast lamb and bbq kangaroo. Everybody welcome. Bring your unwholesome wear. Christmas Day is usually 35oC or higher so it's a good day for a picnic at the lake.

I see it. But it's like $14/lb. :pink-shock: Not something most people in this area can afford to eat regularly. So in that sense, it's rare.

Around here (Missouri), lamb is scarce, at least in the main grocery stores. I get the urge for Irish Stew every March, but after I price the lamb, I make my bastardized version with a chunk of pork instead. The lamb I can find is either chopped bits for stew meat, or very tiny lamb chops, and either one will run about $17/pound or so. And honestly, my stew would take about half of what the store has on the shelf. Don't know that I've ever seen a lamb roast at the store, and I shudder to think what one would cost or how small it would be. The chops would fit in my hand, bone and all, but I guess I'm used to the "typical" US pork and beef steaks, which are bigger.

I should check the new grocery store for lamb; they're not a mainstream store, and they carry things like buffalo meat, and I think I saw elk meat there, too. The Ag School at the University also has a little meat store, and would probably have lamb on occasion. I know the only lamb I've eaten in the US was a few bites of lamb chop during my Animal Products class there (pretty sure we had lamb a couple of times in Ireland though).

Forget Sam. I grew up with the "I can't go on a date with Tom Cruise. Mum's doing lamb roast." We always laughed because we all thought the only good thing about winning a date with Tom Cruise would be the free meal.

Forget Sam. I grew up with the "I can't go on a date with Tom Cruise. Mum's doing lamb roast." We always laughed because we all thought the only good thing about winning a date with Tom Cruise would be the free meal.

ah hah hah. I always thought I was the only one who can't stand Tom Cruise! (Nasty wonky-toothed alien-host). I grew up with that ad too and I totally agree with you.

Kiwi here, we grew up eating lamb mode than any other meat. Now, my kids only get it at my parents' because it is too expensive. It's available everywhere here, though.

Guess I should offer to host a Christmas party for all of FJ. Unlimited roast lamb and bbq kangaroo. Everybody welcome. Bring your unwholesome wear. Christmas Day is usually 35oC or higher so it's a good day for a picnic at the lake.

:text-goodpost: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kangaroo and lamb are my most favourite meats!

This thread makes me feel so sheltered. lol The only meat I've had that no one has mentioned is caribou. Which was really good, but I only had it once and that was (insert number I won't mention) decades ago.

Other than that, I've had shark fin soup for "exotic". And lamb. You can get it in a few stores here, but it's incredibly expensive. And honestly, I hated it both time I've tried it. Don't know if that's because I never had it when I was younger or what, but yuck. Disappoints dh because he really likes it and had it when he was younger (he's from England). Rabbit was something he had a lot as a kid, too. And he had horse meat once when he was France, but didn't realize until afterwards.

Has Lauren got any new updates? I don't follow any of her stuff, reading the threads is quite enough for me.

I live in Southern California and where I live there's about 95% Hispanic people, and although the food is great, I hate seeing cow/pig heads, snouts and feet. Beef tongue is also very popular here and although it's delicious, I could really stand not seeing it in market aisles. But the one thing I do not get is Chicharrón. It's fried pork skin and it smells disgusting and tastes bad but lots of people really enjoy it.

(3 of my siblings are partially Greek and they introduced me to lamb and it's probably my favorite. Chops or gyro version)

Well, as some say you aren't truly gold star unless you were born by caesarian, I'd guess that changing a boys nappy makes you a fail. Sorry to take that prize away from you. Lol.

I wonder how these lads got through high school biology and health. Did they keep their eyes shut or don't pictures count?

See, this has confused me ever since she mentioned it. I've never, ever heard the term gay star refer to someone who has never seen the genitals of the opposite gender. I mean lets be real- most people, gay & straight, have seen both a penis & a vagina in real life at some point in their lives so you'd have to be living under a rock not to have been-there-done-that. The only way I've ever heard this term used is in reference to someone who has never had sex with the opposite gender. For instance, a set of lesbian friends have 3 sons & both moms have never had sex with a man so they jokingly refer to themselves as Gold Star Lesbians. Having sons clearly means they have been acquainted with The Penis for years but this doesn't change their gold star "status" at all.

I've also never heard gay star used as badge of honor the way that Lauren uses it. I'm not saying that people don't view it that way, it's just not something I've found to be common because it's usually just used as a joke- not to try to earn street cred.

Holy cow. You should check out Costco. Boneless leg for $15-20. And that's a lot of meat, it comes out to cheaper than ground grassfed beef per pound. Even at Whole Foods only the rack is that expensive. I've never seen a a Trader Joes that didn't have cheap cuts of lamb, alhough I know their warehouses are regional.

Here you are, Missouri

Rob M.

Overland Park, KS

Elite ’14

73 friends

287 reviews

8/13/2012

Costco carries lamb chops and leg of lamb. I think Sam's Club does, too. Whole Foods carries it, and so does Hen House (I think). McGonigle's certainly would have it. You can also find it at any of the Middle Eastern halal meat markets, like Al-Habashi on Quivira near Oak Park, Pak-Halal on 87th, and others -- lamb is the principal meat in Middle Eastern cookery.

This thread makes me feel so sheltered. lol The only meat I've had that no one has mentioned is caribou. Which was really good, but I only had it once and that was (insert number I won't mention) decades ago.

Other than that, I've had shark fin soup for "exotic". And lamb. You can get it in a few stores here, but it's incredibly expensive. And honestly, I hated it both time I've tried it. Don't know if that's because I never had it when I was younger or what, but yuck. Disappoints dh because he really likes it and had it when he was younger (he's from England). Rabbit was something he had a lot as a kid, too. And he had horse meat once when he was France, but didn't realize until afterwards.

Has Lauren got any new updates? I don't follow any of her stuff, reading the threads is quite enough for me.

I'm all about the caribou. However, it's so popular here that I forgot other people might find it "exotic" I really only like it in sausages though.

I live in Southern California and where I live there's about 95% Hispanic people, and although the food is great, I hate seeing cow/pig heads, snouts and feet. Beef tongue is also very popular here and although it's delicious, I could really stand not seeing it in market aisles. But the one thing I do not get is Chicharrón. It's fried pork skin and it smells disgusting and tastes bad but lots of people really enjoy it.

(3 of my siblings are partially Greek and they introduced me to lamb and it's probably my favorite. Chops or gyro version)

Now, I, personally, think lingua is disgusting, I HATE the texture :ew: , but do like Chicharron, as long as it has some sort of seasoning -- otherwise it's like eating styrofoam. To each their own :lol: I totally shouldn't have checked this thread when I have the flu ! :oops:

Now, I, personally, think lingua is disgusting, I HATE the texture :ew: , but do like Chicharron, as long as it has some sort of seasoning -- otherwise it's like eating styrofoam. To each their own :lol: I totally shouldn't have checked this thread when I have the flu ! :oops:

Hope you feel better!

I think lengua is so good! Seasoned with lemon is the best. Admittedly though, I really enjoy menudo which is made of beef stomach and hominy. I guess I like meat that's soft, lol. I dislike cabeza though, it's a similar texture to lengua but I dunno, something about it is so gross.

Archived