IGNORED

God wants her to be a lawyer and he will pay for it.

doggie

Yeah, most of us who go to law school have to actually, you know, take some personal responsibility for ourselves.

I got scholarships. I lived with 3 other girls in a totally crap apartment. I ate lots of lentils. I worked all three years. I wasn't childish and entitled enough to think, "hey, I don't have $ for what I want... make someone else pay for it!"

I've been drug from lurkerdom.

I'm glad she has drive. That is wonderful. Too bad the execution is absolutely horrible. I am in grad school and will have amassed a good amount when I'm done. I, too, believe that I was guided by God to this path (working with children on the autism spectrum). But my husband and I are planning to pay for this adventure ourselves.

Also, I already have the MRS and I am not helpmeet material so I'll actually use my degree.

I know attorneys who graduated without any debt by working their asses off, getting scholarships and grants, doing fundraisers that involved doing more than begging for donations (one of my attorney-friends paid for all her books and supplies each year by holding a weekly donate-what-you-want pancake breakfast is a surprisingly good fundraiser), and living very far below their means. No car, definitely not one still on payments. No gas. Bus. I'm not saying everyone can do what those two did, but I'm not seeing any effort from this girl. At all.

Wish I'd thought of something like that. Here in Australia Uni is considerably cheaper but I still owe the Govt. tens of thousands of dollars (and rising). Thankfully this does not need to be paid back until I earn over a certain amount and I could conceivably dodge the whole thing if I moved overseas permanently. Despite this I'm still broke at the start of each semester from buying my textbooks.

I went to a local school for undergrad (as we generally do here) and live with my parents, my postgrad stuff is external which gives me the ability to work more. I want to eventually do a degree which isn't offered (as I want it) here in my state and I'm moving overseas for better courses and job opportunities. This means I need to pay for my tuition up front. I also need the money to be able to afford the move.

I have family there who have offered to let me stay for free (without me hitting them up for it). If I take them up on it this will save me $20,000 a year (I also possibly have to convert to Mormonism). I'm doing my post-grad to be able to get a better job while I'm studying. A better job= more money= less hours I have to work= less time to do my degree.

Everyone here has mentioned so many ways you can study and end up debt free. It's all about having a good work ethic- which obviously this girl has none. If by some miracle she gets the money then she'll fall flat on her arse because she obviously expects everything to be handed to her on a silver platter.

So she basically admits that she either has a car loan or is willing to get one. But, student loans are against her religion :angry-banghead:

I was fortunate enough to get a teaching assistantship for grad school, so that helped me a lot. But I did live on $800/month for everything. I had a roommate so rent was only $320/month (she budgeted almost $800/month!) I lived walking distance from campus so my gas budget was very small. I spent $75/month on food. I rarely went out. I waited to buy a car, even though mine was essentially crapped out, until I was making more AND found a great deal for a reliable $1500 used car. Oh, and I didn't get one until I actually needed it. I didn't really need one in grad school. It wasn't until I started working 20 miles away from where I live that I got one. Even then, I didn't need it till the winter when I knew that I wouldn't be able to bike there and take the bus home.

Archived