IGNORED

Fundie Jones Family - Will TLC show any interest.

toejamflipflop

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... anage.html

After reading this article I find it interesting that these Fundie Parents of adopted Orphans just might be looking for a TV show to showcase their newly made family. The father says a Michelle Duggar statement about " lovin on his children," . They belong to a site where people can donate money to the family to help with expenses which is probably that site Go Fund Me. I find this very brazen that " the Lord took it upon this couple" to adopt all these children from a Christian Orphanage when they don't have the funds too take care of them. I wonder if they have contacted Jimboob and Michelle to see if they would put a good word in for them at TLC to see if they would be interested in a show about these adopted orphans.

Lets see if TLC takes the bait and has specials with this family. If Boob and Mullet thought about making more money from TLC by adopting a new Duggar their money making idea is gone with the wind. This family has the adoption card in the bag. Its too late Michelle for a new storyline. You waited too long.

I thought these people were going to be the typical fundie child collectors, but I was actually really impressed with their story. Very few people would be willing to adopt a sibling group of eight older children, so that's great that those kids got to stay together.

I didn't really see anything particularly fundie about them--she certainly doesn't dress like one! "Lovin' on" someone is just a Southern phrase and even non-fundie Christians will talk about feeling that God is calling them to do something.

I sincerely doubt that this family holds a world record for largest sibling group adopted. I've known several people who have adopted sibling groups of 8 from the US fostercare system. They might be the largest internationally adopted sibling group given the astronomical costs of such an adoption though.

I don't see any red flags in the article. Most of the kids are in public school. The three being homeschooled are the older ones, who are going to have a signficant level of catch-up to do academically and homeschooling is a good option for that need. They may also have ESL issues as English is not likely their first language since even Krio is the main informal language of the country which is a Creole not English, and that's assuming they aren't tribal and have a tribal cradle language before the Krio. They likely only learned English in the orphanage.

The mother has quit her job, which is probably a very good idea for at least several years. The grocery budget, while shocking to them is accurate for the family size. They have lots of bedrooms and each child has their own bed. They all have personal possessions. They are not cutting off the birthmother and they recognize that some of the children still identify as Sierra Leonian. So, they are doing everything they can.

I genuinely hope they are NOT seeking to court reality TV attention, as that would be horrific for those kids.

I have only adopted children one at a time, so sibling integration is one thing I have not dealt with as an adoptive mother. I would imagine it will take several years to fully integrate all of these children together, and all ten of them need privacy to accomplish that integration. Hopefully, this couple will continue to give these kids grace, even if they struggle and many older adoptees will struggle.

I used to think that after my current set of kiddos grew up, I wanted to adopt a high order sibling group but the reality is that these eight exhaust me and I don't think I want to do that anymore. It's HARD to find families willing to take high order sibling groups, whether they are domestic or international. I am very glad to see they adopted all of the siblings. All of my kiddos have had to mourn the loss of siblings because they were all placed without siblings and it's very much like a death to a child to lose their siblings in adoption (the decision was never ours, nor could we correct the situation once we adopted the kiddos).

I sincerely doubt that this family holds a world record for largest sibling group adopted. I've known several people who have adopted sibling groups of 8 from the US fostercare system. They might be the largest internationally adopted sibling group given the astronomical costs of such an adoption though.

I kind of assumed they were saying it was a record for international adoption since I've also heard of very large sibling groups being adopted from foster care. It's also quite possible that whoever said that just made it up.

My gut tells me that TLC is over the super-large family model. They have 19K and show no interest in giving Kate and her 8 a full-time show. (at least I pray so). Quints by Surprise, which is a show I get a kick out of, doesn't seem to be on very much. TLC seems to have moved on to the National Enquirer model of shocking programing to go along side their scripted "non-scripted" reality shows. If I had the energy, I would track which companies sponsor this dreck and contact them to complain but I doubt it would do much good. It's all about the numbers and targeted advertising. As I noted on their Facebook page, Newton Minnow, who was the FCC chairman in the 60s warned us about tv becoming a vast wasteland. I wrote that the wasteland does not get any more vast than on TLC.

Im glad that the siblings were able to be kept together. How awful it must be to be a kid from a large family, lose both parents and end up in an orphanage/foster care, and then end up losing your siblings too as nobody wants to adopt a load of kids at once. Also they will never feel alone in adjusting to a new culture, as they have siblings who have been through everything they have.

I am not seeing any snark here. Just because the family is religious does not mean they are fundamentalists. This is not Nancy Campbell craziness. These are nice people who took three years and a lot of thought to bring these kids here. The mom is a real live teacher who wear Arndt-approved white shorts. These kids could be doing much worse than being taken in by a family that cares about them.

This sounds like a family I would both watch on TV *and* potentially like.

Though I wonder if having cameras, interviews, etc. in the home would be too distracting or even traumatic for the kids.

I am not seeing any snark here. Just because the family is religious does not mean they are fundamentalists. This is not Nancy Campbell craziness. These are nice people who took three years and a lot of thought to bring these kids here. The mom is a real live teacher who wear Arndt-approved white shorts. These kids could be doing much worse than being taken in by a family that cares about them.

I totally agree. The kids wear normal swim suits (even Mom and the daughter!) and it sounds like the parents are respecting their culture. I actually do not see this as homeschooling and more of private tutoring. The mom is a licensed teacher who realized the older children needed one on one time to catch up to their peers. She is likely following the public school curriculum just at their ability level, not their age level.

I totally agree. The kids wear normal swim suits (even Mom and the daughter!) and it sounds like the parents are respecting their culture. I actually do not see this as homeschooling and more of private tutoring. The mom is a licensed teacher who realized the older children needed one on one time to catch up to their peers. She is likely following the public school curriculum just at their ability level, not their age level.

I don't think they're fundie either, as the younger children are attending public schools, and the only reason the older ones are being homeschooled is that they're so far behind their peers. Homeschooling is good in cases like that, especially if they're being taught from the public school curriculum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674919/Meet-Jones-Dozen-Tennessee-couple-Brangelina-world-record-adoption-EIGHT-children-Sierra-Leone-orphanage.html

After reading this article I find it interesting that these Fundie Parents of adopted Orphans just might be looking for a TV show to showcase their newly made family. The father says a Michelle Duggar statement about " lovin on his children," . They belong to a site where people can donate money to the family to help with expenses which is probably that site Go Fund Me. I find this very brazen that " the Lord took it upon this couple" to adopt all these children from a Christian Orphanage when they don't have the funds too take care of them. I wonder if they have contacted Jimboob and Michelle to see if they would put a good word in for them at TLC to see if they would be interested in a show about these adopted orphans.

Lets see if TLC takes the bait and has specials with this family. If Boob and Mullet thought about making more money from TLC by adopting a new Duggar their money making idea is gone with the wind. This family has the adoption card in the bag. Its too late Michelle for a new storyline. You waited too long.

I don't get the hate about sites like Go Fund Me. It's entirely voluntary, people aren't forced to give, but it's an easy way to do it if someone wants to. It also means the money goes straight to the person who needs it without going through a charity or the government, which of course has to use a great deal of their funds for staffing etc. and will additionally have tons of restrictions on who is eligible and assistance is usually very limited. And I come from working in the non-profit social service field for decades. There's a huge value in support that comes from charities and government programs, but don't see a problem with people bypassing the middle man if they can.

Archived