IGNORED

John MacArthur might be worse than PP

jerkit

I listened to that sermon that Lori Alexander the Monster posted the other day from John MacArthur. What I learned:

1. Feminism is satanic.

2. If you have a problem with his teaching, you're on satan's side. (This is nearly a direct quote)

3. "Old" means after age 60.

4. After age 60, women have no desire for sex ever.

5. Because they have no desire for sex ever again, widows over 60 should not remarry.

This guy isn't as overtly stupid as PP and he doesn't appear certifiable like Stevie, but damn. He might be more dangerous because of his subtlety as compared to the overt crazies.

IMO McArthur is MUCH more dangerous. As I have posted before, Anderson is ridiculed by even very fundy fundies - just a joke with no power at all. McArthur has a very "mainstream" position of leadership. He is very influential in the SBConvention, and probably the major leader of the push toward Calvinism in the SBC (which I also believe will completely split the SBC within the next few years). McArthur is also a major misogynist (under cover of "complementarianism").

I despise the guy.

IMO McArthur is MUCH more dangerous. As I have posted before, Anderson is ridiculed by even very fundy fundies - just a joke with no power at all. McArthur has a very "mainstream" position of leadership. He is very influential in the SBConvention, and probably the major leader of the push toward Calvinism in the SBC (which I also believe will completely split the SBC within the next few years). McArthur is also a major misogynist (under cover of "complementarianism").

I despise the guy.

Yes. The bolded is what I was trying to express but couldn't at 6:30 this morning with the shock of his "no woman after 60 ever wants sex" statement hadn't worn off. People actually take this guy seriously, which is what is so dangerous.

Hate to say it, but Tim Bayly is the ONLY influential Calvinist who has ever really called McArthur out (to my knowledge).

baylyblog.com/blog/2014/01/john-macarthur-revisited

A few others have tip-toed around it, and people on the Puritan Board sometimes use phrases like "with reservations," but they really do seem too afraid of him to speak out. McArthur is so, so powerful.

Oh, I almost forgot: Mark Driscoll made an ass of himself outside one of McArthur's events and caused a mini-scandal, but it was quickly forgotten because... well, Mark always has another mini-scandal on the horizon, doesn't he?

Hate to say it, but Tim Bayly is the ONLY influential Calvinist who has ever really called McArthur out (to my knowledge).

baylyblog.com/blog/2014/01/john-macarthur-revisited

A few others have tip-toed around it, and people on the Puritan Board sometimes use phrases like "with reservations," but they really do seem too afraid of him to speak out. McArthur is so, so powerful.

Oh, I almost forgot: Mark Driscoll made an ass of himself outside one of McArthur's events and caused a mini-scandal, but it was quickly forgotten because... well, Mark always has another mini-scandal on the horizon, doesn't he?

It was an excellent article calling out McArthur on his income and some great comments by Bayly, who surgically dissected comments by a poster named Adam.

BUT, alas, Bayly seems to be a John Piper fanboi.

Can you clarify or link to the Mark Driscoll mini-scandal? This man seems to swim in an ocean of jackass behavior/speech.

He may be worse than Lori as well.

Lori doesn't come up with original thoughts. She parrots stuff that he hears from people like John MacArthur and the Pearls.

If women have no desire for sex after age 60, then someone ought to let that woman in the cereal ad know where she's reading something about women hitting their sexual peak at 80 at the same time she hears something on TV about the cereal expanding our lifespan.

Men after 60 are much more likely to have sexual dysfunction than women are. Should widowers older than 60 also not marry? Is sex the only reason for people to marry? What about companionship? Growing old with someone?

If women have no desire for sex after age 60, then someone ought to let that woman in the cereal ad know where she's reading something about women hitting their sexual peak at 80 at the same time she hears something on TV about the cereal expanding our lifespan.

Men after 60 are much more likely to have sexual dysfunction than women are. Should widowers older than 60 also not marry? Is sex the only reason for people to marry? What about companionship? Growing old with someone?

Sheesh, someone should inform my 62-year-old-engaged-to-be-married mother that she shouldn't be getting hitched again! (And I know she has a healthy sex life thanks to her being the queen of TMI...but I'm very happy for her and the (old, evidently) fellow with whom she's engaged.)

Don't even get me started on him. Other Christians I meet are sometimes really surprised I feel so strongly about MacArthur. I admit I enjoyed parts of his book Charismatic Chaos, but in general I find him to be such a pompous ass I can't even listen to him speak. It absolutely drives me crazy that R. C. Sproul (Sr, whom I love) is friends with MacArthur. Blech.

It was an excellent article calling out McArthur on his income and some great comments by Bayly, who surgically dissected comments by a poster named Adam.

BUT, alas, Bayly seems to be a John Piper fanboi.

Can you clarify or link to the Mark Driscoll mini-scandal? This man seems to swim in an ocean of jackass behavior/speech.

Here's a link to an article about it. Why can I never remember the "a" in MacArthur? Please excuse in the above post.

religionnews.com/2013/10/18/john-macarthur-vs-mark-driscoll-megachurch-pastors-clash-charismatic-theology/

John MacArthur is scary. And when I say scary, I mean it. I live very near his Master's College and I know dozens of people who are either going there or went there. He is very influential in Southern California. He also has an ego rivaled only by maybe Doug Phillips is a Tool and a few others. He has written pamphlets that pretty much state that he knows exactly who real Christians are and if you do X or Y you are not a Christian and never have been. I think the scariest thing about him is that he is very well respected by the Evangelical right and not at all fringe.

Being the Calvinist that he is, he is extremely against churches who seek to evangelize to non Christians, to the point where he considers these pastors dangerous and evil. I could go on. He scares me but maybe because my life has been so closely intertwined with his followers.

Being the Calvinist that he is, he is extremely against churches who seek to evangelize to non Christians.

He can continues. The less I see proselytes, the better I am.

He can continues. The less I see proselytes, the better I am.

LOL, I can agree with you there but it also seems contradictory to the Jesus most Christians promote. The whole 'Go into the world and tell all the people." thing.

My kids would be sad though because they love when mormons come to the door. First my 5 year old usually yells. MORMONS at the door! Then my eldest answers and when they ask to speak to her mom she says, "Which one, I have two?"

LOL, I can agree with you there but it also seems contradictory to the Jesus most Christians promote. The whole 'Go into the world and tell all the people." thing.

My kids would be sad though because they love when mormons come to the door. First my 5 year old usually yells. MORMONS at the door! Then my eldest answers and when they ask to speak to her mom she says, "Which one, I have two?"

God, Jesus, why did you tell it ? "Believe in me and SHUT UP NOBODY CARES HOW JESUS SAVE YOU FROM DRUGS" would have been better !

Mormon come often at our house. One day, my nude (and sexy) girlfriend opens the doors. We have never seen them again !

That's a friend who tell her to do it. "When you see Jeovah witness or mormon, be naked." That's work great !

Don't even get me started on him. Other Christians I meet are sometimes really surprised I feel so strongly about MacArthur. I admit I enjoyed parts of his book Charismatic Chaos, but in general I find him to be such a pompous ass I can't even listen to him speak. It absolutely drives me crazy that R. C. Sproul (Sr, whom I love) is friends with MacArthur. Blech.

I do find it funny that Sproul and MacArthur are friends because their followers so often seem to split into rival camps. Folks at my old church used to joke about it,

MacArthur is 74, he won't be around forever. And there has been pushback against him. In addition to the stupidity of Mark Driscoll, non-Calvinists have criticized MacArthur for a few decades now, particularly over so-called "Lordship Salvation."

JulieAnne over at Spiritual Sounding Board made it clear that MacArthur's associates (such as Phil Johnson) have no problem advising abusive church pastors on pursuing lawsuits against parishioners. (I do appreciate that she made that public, it's out there.) I also think that there's likely a child and/or sex abuse scandal or three lurking at MacArthur's church, school and/or "college." You don't have that much concentrated hubris and authoritarianism in one place without there being some bad fruit. Let me be clear, I'm not saying MacArthur himself is involved in abuse--but I sure can see him covering up abuse, because that's the MO of these authoritarian b*st*rds.

Ugh. A friend from my fundie-lite days named her son after MacArthur. Her husband is a SBC preacher & idolizes him. (Hmmm) (Jude MacArthur, is the little boy's name.) I honestly didn't totally know who John MacArthur was until this thread.

MacArthur is 74, he won't be around forever. And there has been pushback against him. In addition to the stupidity of Mark Driscoll, non-Calvinists have criticized MacArthur for a few decades now, particularly over so-called "Lordship Salvation."

JulieAnne over at Spiritual Sounding Board made it clear that MacArthur's associates (such as Phil Johnson) have no problem advising abusive church pastors on pursuing lawsuits against parishioners. (I do appreciate that she made that public, it's out there.) I also think that there's likely a child and/or sex abuse scandal or three lurking at MacArthur's church, school and/or "college." You don't have that much concentrated hubris and authoritarianism in one place without there being some bad fruit. Let me be clear, I'm not saying MacArthur himself is involved in abuse--but I sure can see him covering up abuse, because that's the MO of these authoritarian b*st*rds.

Excellent observation, mirele. Spot on.

Someone asked Lori Alexander the Monster about the "women past 60 never have sex" thing and she replied

John MacArthur addresses that in this sermon
with a link to part 2 of the sermon in question. So apparently Lori the Monster agrees with MacArthur. Isn't Lori over 60? Does this mean she no longer has sex with Ken? This would explain A LOT.

Someone asked Lori Alexander the Monster about the "women past 60 never have sex" thing and she replied with a link to part 2 of the sermon in question. So apparently Lori the Monster agrees with MacArthur. Isn't Lori over 60? Does this mean she no longer has sex with Ken? This would explain A LOT.

I think she's about my age, give or take a year, which is 56. So if she does agree with MacArthur (of course she does!) she's got a couple of years to go before putting that lube away. :lol:

I think she's about my age, give or take a year, which is 56. So if she does agree with MacArthur (of course she does!) she's got a couple of years to go before putting that lube away. :lol:

Aww, I'm so sorry you only have 4 years of ever wanting to have sex ever again.

:S

Aww, I'm so sorry you only have 4 years of ever wanting to have sex ever again.

:S

Ah, but I, unlike Lori, do NOT agree with MacArthur. :whistle:

:laughing-rolling:

I listened to that sermon that Lori Alexander the Monster posted the other day from John MacArthur. What I learned:

1. Feminism is satanic.

2. If you have a problem with his teaching, you're on satan's side. (This is nearly a direct quote)

3. "Old" means after age 60.

4. After age 60, women have no desire for sex ever.

5. Because they have no desire for sex ever again, widows over 60 should not remarry.

This guy isn't as overtly stupid as PP and he doesn't appear certifiable like Stevie, but damn. He might be more dangerous because of his subtlety as compared to the overt crazies.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently in a Sunday school class where his bible study on Revelation is being discussed. There's no indication in the study that he's a super fundie. I assumed he was a theologian with a teaching ministry.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm currently in a Sunday school class where his bible study on Revelation is being discussed. There's no indication in the study that he's a super fundie. I assumed he was a theologian with a teaching ministry.

He is a hyper calvanist. Not quite a fundie, perhaps fundie lite. But like I said up-thread, I think he is incredibly dangerous.

Archived