IGNORED

Purity or death!

misslady

Vegas Purity Event Warns Girls Who ‘Get Promiscuous’ They May Wind Up In A Body Bag:

samuel-warde.com/2014/05/vegas-purity-event-warns-girls-get-promiscuous-may-wind-body-bag/

Now, I clicked through to the theatre company's website and it looks like the "Toe Tag Monologues" is not a specifically purity-based show - more like making good life choices, generally; one of their target audiences seems to be juvenile detention centers. But the church in the article emphasized the sex parts as part of their purity program. Of course.

I think girls who are told that their entire value is tied to their hymens are more likely to die by murder because why are they going to fight for their lives if they believe they are now worthless?

I've heard his plenty of times growing up. I do think it sends the wrong message. Since their hymen, which can break by doing things other than sex is often a gift, some girls might feel worthless. Some of the people at my church(when I was younger) said they would never date a non virgin because they already cheated on their future spouse.

Purity or death never applies to males. :roll: :whistle:

When I hear things like this, my only hope is that, if and when these jerks go to Heaven, God has a big hearty laugh and tells them, "I don't freakin' think so."

Given that only 3% of married couples in the US were virgins on their wedding days, that's an awful lot of death coming.

For the "good old day" fundies here's an interesting statistic:

During the colonial period, premarital sex was publicly frowned upon but privately condoned to an extent. Unmarried teenagers were often allowed to spend the night in bed together, though some measures such as bundling were sometimes attempted to prevent sexual intercourse. Even though premarital sex was somewhat condoned, having a child outside of wedlock was not. If a pregnancy resulted from premarital sex, the young couple were expected to marry. Marriage and birth records from the late 1700s reveal that between 30 to 40 percent of New England brides were pregnant before marriage.[13]
(from Wikipedia but quoting this article (Carl R. Weinberg (1 January 2013). "Courtship and Sexual Freedom in Eighteenth-Century America". Maghis.oxfordjournals.org.)

I find it slightly ironic that there was a purity event in Vegas. Other than that this quote sums it up better than I can “Drugs are real. Sex trafficking is real. I don’t know what is real about linking purity with those things. It was a hodgepodge of unrelated fear mongering,†said Deitsch. I also find abstinence only incredibly stupid.Your only choice is to not have sex and god help you if you do because you have no idea of how to be sexually safe. The facts are that were all dying some day and whether or not you wait until you're married has basically nothing to do with that. God doesn't say because you waited for your wedding night I'm giving you five more years than those heathens.

Archived