IGNORED

Carlin Bates can sang, y'all!

TinyDancer87

At first I though Carlin was going to sound as nasal-y as Alyssa, but she actually can sing. Wait for the yodeling till the end, it's pretty impressive.

The feline headship ran off, and my fiancée is trying to find the Dramamine. That was nauseatingly awful! Pass the barf bucket.

That was meh, IMHO. I've been tainted by years of listening to award-winning vocal majors and other voice students.

To be fair, though, the quality of the audio was pretty raw in that clip, and she might have sounded better live.

I have noticed over the past of couple of years that the the Bates kids have more musical talent than the Duggar kids.

Wow. That is quite impressive. I would rather see a show about her than Famy, honestly.

Have to agree that was impressive.

Was that secular music? I'm going to assume so. This is why the Bates seem to be cooler parents than the Duggars. They might fellowship and all that, but they let their kids be somewhat human. No one wants to marry a boring robot.

The feline headship ran off, and my fiancée is trying to find the Dramamine. That was nauseatingly awful! Pass the barf bucket.

One person's "awful" is another person's "fun". To each his own, y'all.

The song is "Whatever happened to the yodeling cowgirls?" and yes, its absolutely secular.

And she's wearing a pretty normal length skirt and form fitting top to boot.

She sounded great! I mean, yodeling is not everyone's thing of course, but for what it is, she did a really good job. Too bad she couldn't put a little more fun movement and personality into it, but that's probably not allowed. Would be too close to dancing I guess.

I know Carlin is young, but lately it's seemed like Kelly is sort of "showcasing" her next eldest children for potential courtships. Not that she would want them to enter into them now, but just getting their names, good looking faces, and talents out there so that eligible mates can take notice. The whole Lawson thing read like an online dating profile for Lawson and somewhat Nathan.

I don't blame her. ATI marriage is a dog eat dog world, and to attract suitable headships/helpmeets, you may need to make sure your child is known across the country. But it just reminds me of 18th century novels where the women would play and sing and sew and embroider to show off their "skills" to potential husbands.

She's kind of swaying her hips through a lot of it - like she really wants to dance, but can't. Poor girl - dancing is instinctive, especially for someone who loves music.

She's cute! I could see how she'd want to dance or at least tap her feet to the beat, and I don't even like bluegrass/country music. She should run away from home and get a job at Disney playing Jessie from Toy Story.

ATI doesn' t like "backbeat" and non-melodic music. When SOUTHERN RAISED was on 19 Kids I wondered how all the jiggling they had to do to play was tolerated. I remember a few of the Bates boys were fighting the urge to rock [lack of better word for it] and sway with the music (i.e. dance).

She's pretty good and has some raw talent. I think it was cute.

If you want to hear good amateur yodeling, I suggest some of the various bluegrass festivals and the Old Time Fiddlers Convention in Alabama. Sorry, but NONE of the Bateses can sing or yodel.

Aye aye aye. It was impressive for someone who has never been coached and/or trained. And this right here is exactly why I got out of the classical music world. No matter how much you practice, someone is always going to find something wrong with the way you sound. You can be one of the best musicians in the world and there will still be a whole slew of people that find a whole list of faults with you. And there is a ridiculously high standard for even just amateur musicians that don't want to make a career out of it, but just play for themselves. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with wanting to have fun and just enjoy music. Music is for EVERYONE. Music is for SHARING and for LOVING. You don't have to be any good at it to love it, enjoy it, and entertain others. That's why I quit graduate school, haven't touched my instrument since, and refuse to look back. I utterly refuse to deal with the modern majority attitude toward music, that it should be perfect always, unless it's pop music, in which case bring on the most tone-deaf people that are only in it for a buck and not for the love of it. Anyways, my point here is that Carlin enjoys it and if the audience does, too, who cares? I'm glad she's out there having a good time without the apparent pressures I had. The end.

I have noticed over the past of couple of years that the the Bates kids have more musical talent than the Duggar kids.

Proper training will do that. Plus, I think the Bates kids are allowed a bit more freedom with their musical endeavors. The Duggars are stuck doing "family shows." The Bates kids are allowed to perform without the rest of the family and they're able to challenge themselves more.

When you're playing to the lowest common denominator, you're not going to end up with "a basic knowledge." When you allow each person to learn at their own pace, you're going to end up with talent.

Wow. That is quite impressive. I would rather see a show about her than Famy, honestly.

I agree! She has a voice !

Archived