IGNORED

Girl Taken Out Of Christian School; Told She's Too Boylike

Ralar

Grandparents/guardians of an 8-year-old girl received a letter from the school principal that reads in part, "We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education."

Her grandparents pulled the plug on her time there after they said she was no longer welcome. "How do you tell a child when she wants to wear pants a shirt, and go out and play in the mud and so forth, how do you tell her, no you can't, you've got to wear a pink bow in your hair, and you've got to let your hair grow out long, how do you do that? I can't do that" said the grandmother.

Good for the grandparents, sticking up for their granddaughter!

http://www.wset.com/story/25061872/little-girl-taken-out-of-christian-school-after-told-shes-too-much-like-a-boy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cut my hair from shoulder length to a short pixie sort of cut while teaching in a Christian school. An uproar ensued which included meetings with admins and school board members.

It is a crazy, crazy world.

At least one of the schools associated with the group of churches Lori and Ken attend is just like that. I know people who pulled their daughters because only the boys were allowed to raise their hands and speak up in class.

At least one of the schools associated with the group of churches Lori and Ken attend is just like that. I know people who pulled their daughters because only the boys were allowed to raise their hands and speak up in class.

My school wasn't this bad, but I was constantly accused of "favoring" girls merely for making sure they had equal opportunity to be involved in my classroom. The boys often felt entitled to dominate everything.

:angry-banghead:

I am unwilling to type the series of profanity that immediately popped in my head when I read that. :serious:

It is not really an exaggeration to view many of these people as a Christian Taliban....

Is there a required uniform for this school? I attended a private religious school once upon time. I wore ghe required uniform but they didn't say a damned thing when I hacked off my hated long hair. Who gives a rats patootie what she wants to wear?

The letter goes on to say that students have been confused about whether Sunnie is a boy or girl and specifies that administrators can refuse enrollment for condoning sexual immorality, practicing a homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity.

She is eight years old!

How horrible that a 8 year old does not fit into their very small cookie cutter mold. How sad that a 8 year old makes a group of adults so afraid that they demand she change. :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :cray-cray: :cray-cray:

Looks to me like God (or whatever) absolutely gave little Sunnie an identity and it's one that involves her BEING HERSELF.

Glad for her that she's out of there.

Also what sickos start talking about 8-year-olds having a homosexual (or heterosexual) lifestyle? At EIGHT YEARS OLD.

Also what sickos start talking about 8-year-olds having a homosexual (or heterosexual) lifestyle? At EIGHT YEARS OLD.

honestly! for a group of people who talk about sex and stuff being "bad" they sure seem to focus a lot of their time on it.

*so glad* that kid has a supportive family!

I cut my hair from shoulder length to a short pixie sort of cut while teaching in a Christian school. An uproar ensued which included meetings with admins and school board members.

It is a crazy, crazy world.

Julie Andrews and Audrey Hepburn are, or were for Audrey, so masculine, doncha know?

The older I get, the more I wonder if my elementary private and middle school really was Christian or if they just did it right. The only time girls had to wear dresses was for chapel, and then we had time to change afterward into pants or shorts, and pants and shorts were encouraged for playground time because it meant our underwear wasn't in any risk of being flashed to the world. We played just as rough and tumble as the boys, and for PE and everything, we did everything the same, and fitness standards, like number of pushups, wasn't different. The school ignored the state standards that gave girls lower targets. We used the bible in the spirit of, instead of a strict guideline, because if laws changed between the testaments, why wouldn't laws today be different? Girls weren't undervalued. We were encouraged to go into science and math. No anti-gay talk, but plenty of real sex-ed that sails over everything taught at my public high school. I had no idea until later than there are Christians who think having a vagina makes us sub-par today.

So I have a hard time believing that this kind of bullshit, kick the girl out for short hair, happens. I mean, I know it does, but I have a hard time seeing it because it's so opposite my own experiences. Kind of like how it's hard to believe the Westboro cult thinks they're doing something loving.

Looks to me like God (or whatever) absolutely gave little Sunnie an identity and it's one that involves her BEING HERSELF.

Glad for her that she's out of there.

It's gross when people act like how a kid dresses will magically impact their sexual orientation (sans trans kids).

I was a chubby, short haired, train and car loving girl who hated (and still mostly hates) dresses and I have grown up to enjoy the D just fine.

Julie Andrews and Audrey Hepburn are, or were for Audrey, so masculine, doncha know?

Exactly. And I am a total girly-girl. Always have been. There was really no chance that anyone was going to mistake me for a guy.

The weirdest part of all of it was that they all kept telling me that it was very sad that I had "given up on ever getting married". Because apparently if a single woman cuts off her hair, no man will ever, ever look at her, let alone date her.

Somehow, I managed to get married later in spite of having a chin length bob when I met the husband.

I can see I would never have been allowed at that 'Christian School'. After all, I wore a pixie cut (because my mother, who herself grew up forced to wear her hair long until allowed to cut it in Junior High, hated dealing with her long locks and didn't want to deal with me having the same...and because I swam competatively and it's way easier to deal with short hair when you're in a pool half your waking hours) for years.

Funny how the Assembly of God school and two Catholic schools I attended never had a problem with me, short hair and all. And my classmates were somehow able to figure out I was a girl, even though I wore courduroy slacks and sweaters (it gets dang cold in the Mojave desert in winter.) Maybe my classmates were just brighter than the kids at Timberlake (to say nothing of the administrators.)

She is 8! She has never said she is gay or a boy. She may not even know anything about those things. The school made all of these assumptions about her. She, at age 8, doesn't look christian enough to go to christian school? Sorry, I didn't realize that how you dress defines you.

Grandparents/guardians of an 8-year-old girl received a letter from the school principal that reads in part, "We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education."

Her grandparents pulled the plug on her time there after they said she was no longer welcome. "How do you tell a child when she wants to wear pants a shirt, and go out and play in the mud and so forth, how do you tell her, no you can't, you've got to wear a pink bow in your hair, and you've got to let your hair grow out long, how do you do that? I can't do that" said the grandmother.

Good for the grandparents, sticking up for their granddaughter!

http://www.wset.com/story/25061872/little-girl-taken-out-of-christian-school-after-told-shes-too-much-like-a-boy

I read this article over on the Advocate. I'm glad the grandparents are letting her be child and not trying to "cure" her making her more feminine.

I would have been kicked out as well. I had hair that constantly tangled, so my mom cut it short. I was frequently mistaken for a boy or asked if I was a boy or girl in elementary school. Thankfully at my public school this was a non-issue. This school's paranoia about proper gender roles is ridiculous and I'm imagining that this isn't the first time a child has not fit their rigid standards.

Exactly. And I am a total girly-girl. Always have been. There was really no chance that anyone was going to mistake me for a guy.

The weirdest part of all of it was that they all kept telling me that it was very sad that I had "given up on ever getting married". Because apparently if a single woman cuts off her hair, no man will ever, ever look at her, let alone date her.

Somehow, I managed to get married later in spite of having a chin length bob when I met the husband.

1) Audrey and Julie were true ladies in the girly sense because of their personality and manners. Fundies should learn you can't toss a mask of long hair and expect someone to be taken for girly. Since they believe that white guy is Jesus, why isn't long hair a masculine thing anyway? I'm so jealous of those of you who look goof with short hair. I want a pixie but look awful.

2) No man would ever look at you or want to date you because of short hair? So someone lied to this one particular icon whose hair was often inches above her shoulders....

tumblr_mekwcsvV5a1qm0kmzo1_500.png

Maybe I'm wrong, but there are still men who lust after her even though she's been dead half a century.

Here's another beauty. A PRINCE married her.

Grace-Kelly-9362226-1-402.jpg

Oh, and in the 1950's, fundy-heaven-years, most adult women had short hair. It wasn't masculine. It was fashionable! And feminine! And long hair on an adult woman was trying to pretend to be a child instead of a mother.

Archived