IGNORED

Odds and ends at the Maxwells

SPHASH

Not that Sarah's frame of reference and imagination aren't small enough, but I'm pretty sure the cat-treeing set-up was for the illustrator not Sarah, which is somewhat more understandable (I do know some illustrators who work from photos), although still unnecessary.

I think the less frequent conferences is partially by design. Steve had mentioned a couple of years ago that they were considering cutting back, with the reasoning being that the kids were getting older, would soon be married with families of their own and therefore, unavailable, making the logistics very difficult to handle. Well, we all know how well the marriage thing is going... I'm sure the apparently declining attendance now factors into it.

I wouldn't read too much into the book giveaway though. It's quite common, especially among bloggers. I've entered several giveways by food bloggers. It's just a way of generating interest and/or rewarding loyal readers.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing that Steveus has hit the 80/20 rule. They've reached 80% of the people who will at least partially believe in and try to use their systems. It isn't cost effective or practical to aim for the remaining 20%. That fits with not going to tiny KJV only really fringe churches where they probably couldn't cover the gas money with sales.

This and Uriah isn't exactly a fuel efficient vehicle. And that's not factoring in any breakdowns or repairs.

While they do seem to take care of animals better compared to the Duggars' disappearing pets, I would not be happy if my cat was deliberately chased up a tree by my neighbor's dog so my neighbor can envision that scene in their writing.

If that had been one of MY cats, I would have given Sarah PLENTY to write about, that's for sure.

And as an added bonus, she also would have been able to write about how to climb trees in a frumper, because you better believe that if I didn't chase her up that tree in my heathen fury, I sure as hell would have made her climb up and get the cat down...and I wouldn't begrudge the cat getting a few good swipes of their own in either.

I was so excited to see a video on the Maxwell's blog because previously they said the bandwidth to host their own videos would bankrupt Steve, and that other sites, such as GodTube contain worldliness. I was even more excited at how terrible the singing sounds. Thanks for the delayed gratification!

The new version of the lullaby to Susannah is an improvement over the old one. Joseph's intentions were good, but the original was actually painful to listen to, and I could not make out the words. It was more bluegrass, and three of the Maxwell kids attempted to harmonize. This one is not good by any stretch, but better.

It's hard to believe it's been 7 years since Susannah passed away. It was so heartbreaking, no matter how you feel about the Maxwells.

I was so excited to see a video on the Maxwell's blog because previously they said the bandwidth to host their own videos would bankrupt Steve, and that other sites, such as GodTube contain worldliness. I was even more excited at how terrible the singing sounds. Thanks for the delayed gratification!

A video! I was just thinking a way to save money on gas would be to host webinars and charge a fee to watch, which would be refundable with a purchase worth X amount. Have they tried this yet? And if they introduce this model in the future, remember YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

It's hard to believe it's been 7 years since Susannah passed away. It was so heartbreaking, no matter how you feel about the Maxwells.

Soo true. I didn't know who the Maxwell's were till after Susannah. But I read through their blog so I read what happened. So heartbreaking.

Ducking in to say something about the treed cat photo: She took it to send to her illustrator, because otherwise there'd be no way in heck a competent illustrator could draw a picture of a treed cat without it.

As Steve himself said, "We 're not very creative."

Sad story, but horrible songwriting. I know its supposed to be a lullaby, but would enunciation be so difficult? Heaven has two syllables, for example. The whole breathy whispers added a new element to the discussion on Sarah working an adult chat line.

Should just create a list of 'skills the Maxwells think they have, but don't'

Even if it wasn't sent to the illustrator, Sarah is not allowed to use google. I know this because, I don't have it with me now or I'd quote it for you, in the first book she writes in the afterward something like:

"And I have to give credit to the family whose name Trynn can't remember. When I set out to write about the diabetic cat, I had no idea if cats even GOT diabetes, or whether you would give insulin shots to a cat. My family wondered if that was realistic. And then the Lord sent us an opportunity when we visited a family with a diabetic cat and they showed me all about how it was done. Praise the Lord!"

Even if the internet wasn't a thing, she does know she could always look stuff up in the library, right? Oh wait, she's not allowed to use those either. She has to wait for the Lord to show her a family with a diabetic cat rather than take 5 seconds to use google.

I'm putting more work into my Moody fanfic than she does!

Speaking thereof, it probably won't come up, but just in case, does anybody have a good idea of what kind of jobs Mr. Moody could do at a bank? I think I want to give him a job besides teller or janitor, because I want him to have enough money for a 6 child family... and I'm not sure why but I think it'd be better for the storyline if he was rich, even though he won't use half of it...

Even if it wasn't sent to the illustrator, Sarah is not allowed to use google. I know this because, I don't have it with me now or I'd quote it for you, in the first book she writes in the afterward something like:

"And I have to give credit to the family whose name Trynn can't remember. When I set out to write about the diabetic cat, I had no idea if cats even GOT diabetes, or whether you would give insulin shots to a cat. My family wondered if that was realistic. And then the Lord sent us an opportunity when we visited a family with a diabetic cat and they showed me all about how it was done. Praise the Lord!"

Even if the internet wasn't a thing, she does know she could always look stuff up in the library, right? Oh wait, she's not allowed to use those either. She has to wait for the Lord to show her a family with a diabetic cat rather than take 5 seconds to use google.

Speaking thereof, it probably won't come up, but just in case, does anybody have a good idea of what kind of jobs Mr. Moody could do at a bank? I think I want to give him a job besides teller or janitor, because I want him to have enough money for a 6 child family... and I'm not sure why but I think it'd be better for the storyline if he was rich, even though he won't use half of it...

A loan officer, the person who opens accounts, the person who manages a customer's money, head teller or maybe the person who does hires. Actually he could be a CPA or accountant.

Steve goes on and on about self-employment being best and it allows you to "not be beholden to someone else." Yes, Steve, even in self-employment are you beholden to someone else. You DEPEND on OTHERS to buy your products and/or use your services. You are beholden to the money, purchasing power, and desire of others. While some aspects of consumerism you can predict and control, it is not always possible. You are entirely at the mercy of those that would hire you or purchase what you sell.

Hmmm I think accountant would suit my purposes best... *scribbles notes* I didn't get to work on it today because I'm an evil working woman who stayed extra late to help her evil woman manager because we were very understaffed. So I'm a very TIRED evil woman because I was doing EVIL all day.

That is waaaaay too many uses of the word evil in one paragraph.

Sad story, but horrible songwriting. I know its supposed to be a lullaby, but would enunciation be so difficult? Heaven has two syllables, for example. The whole breathy whispers added a new element to the discussion on Sarah working an adult chat line.

I went in thinking it'd be pronounced "hea'en." Did not expect the rather curt "heav'."

Only made it halfway through the song. Is that Anna doing the lead vocal? Her voice...might be trainable.

I reread the Susannah threads yesterday. It's so sad.

Nathan wrote about how God had a very different plan for his little girl to what he and Melanie did, and that it must all be for the best and they couldn't wait to see her in heaven again. That they believed life began and conception and ended when the soul left the body, and Susannah's soul may have left before they ever held her, but it's worth it cause they will spend eternity with her.

I know they are common sentiments for Christians experiencing this type of loss, but these are the Maxwells, which made me wonder..... If Melanie wasn't able to have a healthy child, if there was a genetic reason that all their children would be totally non responsive like Susannah, would they keep conceiving and bearing babies to meet in heaven? I can think of few things more heartbreaking, but I can't see them being ok with contraception even in that circumstances. According to Quiverfull stated ideals, no Quiverfuller would prevent even those pregnancies.

I hope Melanie's current pregnancy is happy and healthy, results in a beautiful healthy bub, and that God closes her womb afterwards.

She doesn't even need the internet for all that. Call a freaking veterinarian, say you are doing research for a book and ask if a cat could be diabetic. If she wasn't allowed to converse with evil heathen veterinarians on her own, Steve or Teri could do it or listen in. It probably would have been a 10 minute phone call, if that. Did they not take their dog to a vet?

She could also have done the same thing with finding out what jobs are at banks.

I reread the Susannah threads yesterday. It's so sad.

Nathan wrote about how God had a very different plan for his little girl to what he and Melanie did, and that it must all be for the best and they couldn't wait to see her in heaven again. That they believed life began and conception and ended when the soul left the body, and Susannah's soul may have left before they ever held her, but it's worth it cause they will spend eternity with her.

I know they are common sentiments for Christians experiencing this type of loss, but these are the Maxwells, which made me wonder..... If Melanie wasn't able to have a healthy child, if there was a genetic reason that all their children would be totally non responsive like Susannah, would they keep conceiving and bearing babies to meet in heaven? I can think of few things more heartbreaking, but I can't see them being ok with contraception even in that circumstances. According to Quiverfull stated ideals, no Quiverfuller would prevent even those pregnancies.

I hope Melanie's current pregnancy is happy and healthy, results in a beautiful healthy bub, and that God closes her womb afterwards.

I would hope not, but honestly, I think they might. It's a horrifying thought.

She doesn't even need the internet for all that. Call a freaking veterinarian, say you are doing research for a book and ask if a cat could be diabetic. If she wasn't allowed to converse with evil heathen veterinarians on her own, Steve or Teri could do it or listen in. It probably would have been a 10 minute phone call, if that. Did they not take their dog to a vet?

She could also have done the same thing with finding out what jobs are at banks.

Ah, yes I believe I thought of that option too when I first read it. Just was too tired to think last night.

I can kinda see not putting a lot of details of dads job into the story which is supposed to be about the kids, but I think SARAH should know, even if she doesn't ever write it down.

Te point is that Sarah was allowed to do no research.

A loan officer, the person who opens accounts, the person who manages a customer's money, head teller or maybe the person who does hires. Actually he could be a CPA or accountant.

He could be a compliance officer: a perfect fit for the Maxwells' strict obsession with rules.

Can we open another thread for the moody's fanfic, where people who have read them make a summary ? I have a lot of yaoi/yuri in my head (because I'm an insane person who love the dark part of fanfiction.net... )

A question and a comment about that clip:

Anna's (?) pronounciation of Susseenah. Is that normal for Kansas or is that a Maxwell thing? It sounds the same as the 'and' in their rendition of "Trust eed Obey".

Secondly, Nathan's creepy Maxwell eyes are really obvious in those pics. It doesn't matter that his heartbroken that his precious daughter is on life support and showing no signs of brain activity, he's gotta beam at that camera. It looks he's had any emotion other than 'happy' (or at least the nearest approximation) beaten out of him. Or maybe it's a genetic Maxwell trait, rather than an environmental one, but it's so obvious when it's in such an inappropriate setting.

Finally listened to the whole of Susannah's lullaby, with the video off, because looking at photos of the parents of a dying newborn who've been told to "smile big and brave for the cameras!" just pains me .... and I have some questions. Hope I'm not repeating myself, but I probably am. I claim old age.

1) What is that cacophonous bleating at the end of the instrumental segment (aka the bridge, perhaps? I'm not a musician)?

2) I've heard that singers intentionally mis-pronounce some vowels, or omit some consonants, to make the sung word more understandable (I'm not a singer) - is that why Maid Mary pronounces Susannah "Sissinah"? Because if that's the plan - to make the name understandable - it's not working.

3) I know that we never full recover after the death - especially the tragic, too-soon deaths - of loved ones (I am a bereaved person). But does anybody else react to the song as a blatant attempt to inject majorly sorrowful feelings into what should be a joyful time, given that Never-Fat Nathan and Melanie have three thriving children and a so-far-so-good pregnancy?

Oh, wait - they're the Maxwells. They can't be having unadulterated joyfulness and thanksgiving, with a quiet prayer of thanks for Susannah and thanks for the promise of reunion in Heaven with her. They must moan and groan and reopen the wound, even though God intends for it to heal with time ....

This bunch saddens me, but not for the reasons they imagine.

uber frau - just saw your post - I can say with confidence that "Sissinah" is NOT the eastern Kansas/western Missouri way of pronouncing Susannah. Nor is "Suseenah."

The cynic in me thinks that they know that the post about Susannah always get a response. (Slap me now before I hide my head in a paper bag).

On the other hand, pregnancy is often a time when ppl remember their previous losses and the 'what might of beens' (although, I don't think Maxwells are allowed to have them. They just need to be happy about the heaven bit), and the anniversary of Susannah's death is coming up. It's a defining point in all of their lives (God knows they don't have many others), I don't think I can begrudge them this.

I didn't know the piece about the cat-treeing. I take back everything I said about them being good to critters. :angry-banghead:

Archived