IGNORED

Dallas on TNT... Anyone else?

Nobodysdoormat

I watched the original show as a kid, before my fam got religion... Fond memories... One of the few things we did together, not altogether wholesome but neither is tough love... And so much more fun.

I like the new show but miss Larry Hagman dearly. John Ross is a scummy little devil that I find myself liking the best. Christopher is blegh though...

Am I alone in my smut fetish?

We watch it, too.

We are also watching the old series from Netflix. We just finished season 4 where Kristin ends up face down in the pool--a reference the preview showed Sue Ellen making in tomorrow's episode!

Larry Hagman was too good for the material and I have to wonder how well the original show would have done without him. IMDB claims he was not the first choice for the role.

Another Dallas fan here, both the old and new show. May Larry Hagman rest in peace, he was the BOMB as JR Ewing.

I think the John Ross character has great potential, but other than him Bobby, Sue Ellen, and Cliff are carrying the TNT show. I am absolutely blah about the rest of the younger cast.

Oh, and I cried like a baby when Sue Ellen read JR's last letter to her at his funeral. It was a perfect sum up of their relationship.

I cried too! I didn't know Larry Hagman wasn't the first choice! No way anyone else could have done it as well as him... I agree about the new characters, except John Ross, of course. Blegh!! Emma is my second favorite of the new crew.

As we are currently watching the old series, ready to start season 5, I like to remind people that it was just as soapy and overly dramatic. The dialogue between Sue Ellen and Dusty Farlow during their affair is so sappy it is painful. And some of the actors are over the top bad. For three seasons, Sue Ellen sees a therapist who I swear to God NEVER blinks on camera. I don't think he is supposed to be a creeper character as nothing else has been done with him, but he comes off as a creeper. Audrey Landers as Afton (Pamela/Rebecca's mother) is an utterly horrid actress as are the majority of JR's flings. Some of the stars are very, very good--Hagman, Barbara Bel Geddes, and Ken Kercheval. They are, frankly, better than the material and I think that is why the show became so huge. Patrick Duffy really had to grow into the role, so did Victoria Principal.

Yes the original had its cringeworthy moments... But it had the great Larry Hagman. I like the new one partly for sentimental reasons as well as the smutty enjoyment I get from watching new jr (lower case because he will never fill L.H's shoes).

Yes the original had its cringeworthy moments... But it had the great Larry Hagman. I like the new one partly for sentimental reasons as well as the smutty enjoyment I get from watching new jr (lower case because he will never fill L.H's shoes).

We are impressed by the continuity between the old and new series. You have to give the creators/writers a lot of credit; clearly they watched and took notes on the old series before they began. Nothing haphazard about it, either. One example is that drilling or not drilling for oil on Southfork was a conflict in the family from the first episode.

Archived