IGNORED

While we're on the subject of homes... Shupe house tour

Seren Ann

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/04/large-families-on-purpose-our-home.html

I don't get tired of Erika's particular brand of crazy.

There is so much to comment on. The way she stacks up her children like rabbits in a coop... When she had a baby it would sleep in her closet.

Those bunk beds in front of windows have got to be a hazard in case of a fire.

It's kind of impressive really how they fit 11 people in an pretty small house. I think the lack of space and privacy would drive me crazy though. You can't be claustrophobic to be a Shupe kid. Interesting how Erika herself has a comfortable bedroom and closet, God forbid she give the master bedroom to the 5 girls.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think prisoners live in better conditions than Erika's kids. Those rooms are so claustrophobic, and barely get any light because the beds block the windows. She even says that it isn't quite to full occupancy-she could fit a toddler bed mattress under the bunk bed in the boys room if she has another boy. Or go to triple bunk beds.

I cant imagine living like that.

Its so sterile, cold and Maxwellian.

Maybe their kids could court the Maxwell grandkids, they might actually fit in.

Holy anal-retentive-organising, Batman. *appalled* *cringes* *shakes head in disbelief*

"We needed to make a "wall" along our "half wall" overlooking the stairwell because we were unable to train the children to not lean far over it and even climb over it *cringe*. So - now it's not a problem. *wink*"

wow.. wonder what the Pearls would say about that! Guess you didn't beat them hard enough, when you where TRAINING them. :naughty:

I got a 404 error when I tried to go to the site, but those kids' bedrooms just sound awful! Now I know one of my toddlers (now a grown woman) used to sometimes wind up during the night under her bed or under the piano, but we didn't plan on her sleeping there. She just had ADHD/born to explore.

Maybe their kids could court the Maxwell grandkids, they might actually fit in.

Oldest Schupe girl and youngest Maxwell son might work in a few years. Sadly she "lost her innocence" (As one of Erika's commenters stated) by wearing a sleeveless dress.

Oldest Schupe girl and youngest Maxwell son might work in a few years. Sadly she "lost her innocence" (As one of Erika's commenters stated) by wearing a sleeveless dress.

She also already knows how to live with her entire day scheduled to the max with no free time, and she already knows how to make Maxwell burritos and green smoothies. Even with the dress, she still might fit in better than any of their other prospects.

That's sad. Why not either turn her big light airy bedroom (which has more than just a bed in it, unlike her kid's rooms) into a room for the boys or knock out that third bathroom and enlarge the kids room.

Or store her clothes in the roof and turn the downstairs into another room. Poor kids, where do they go when they want to chill out away from their families, their rooms are so bleak.

Poor kids, where do they go when they want to chill out away from their families, their rooms are so bleak.

I think Erica once said that they don't encourage their children to be alone in a room

Does anyone ever explain why the Lord blesses them with children but not with a larger home in which to house them? It seems to me that the two should go hand in hand.

"We needed to make a "wall" along our "half wall" overlooking the stairwell because we were unable to train the children to not lean far over it and even climb over it *cringe*. So - now it's not a problem. *wink*"

wow.. wonder what the Pearls would say about that! Guess you didn't beat them hard enough, when you where TRAINING them. :naughty:

Which of the kids sleep in the crates? *smile* :disgust:

Most of these fundy families reminds of some of the foster homes I lived in as teenager. I actually shared a room just like the Shupe boys in one home. Two sets of bunk beds for teen age girls. There was barely enough room between each set of beds to even walk side ways. We had this small closet that was probably for one person.

I thought I had moved up in the world when I went to a girl's group home temporarily. There was two beds, two dressers, two night stands with lamps and two closets per bedroom. There was a bathroom between each two bedrooms that four girls shared. The bathrooms were kind of like a locker room shower. It had 4 shower stalls, 4 toilet stalls, and 4 sinks with this massive big tub. I thought it was pretty nice for a group home.

I got a 404 error when I tried to go to the site, but those kids' bedrooms just sound awful! Now I know one of my toddlers (now a grown woman) used to sometimes wind up during the night under her bed or under the piano, but we didn't plan on her sleeping there. She just had ADHD/born to explore.

I got the same error. Type in www. first and then paste the link and it should work.

Holy anal-retentive-organising, Batman. *appalled* *cringes* *shakes head in disbelief*

:clap: Very nicely done.

P.S. long time lurker, first time poster

It's me, or the master bedroom is biggest than the boys rooms where there's 4 people sleeping in ?

There's five people in the smaller (based on the floor plan) girls room.

*shudder*

So... there are basically 2 places a kid could sit during the day... the dining table or in that sectional area, right? Plus folding chairs I guess in the play room, or the floor for younger kids. But yeah, no place for an introvert to hang out quietly in a family of 9 kids. It would be barely tolerable if they were going to school half the day, but they are homeschooled and stuck with nowhere to hide all day....

Does Erika need the confirmation of her followers that she is a great organizer? Why else would you do that?

I feel sorry for the kids. Packed like this in such a tiny room, the air inside must be awful after a couple of hours when they sleep.

With their egress windows blocked off like that I just hope there's never a fire when the kids are in bed. *shudder*

I got the same error. Type in www. first and then paste the link and it should work.

Thanks for the tip! It worked! Good grief! Does she have some scary links and books listed on her blog?

She also already knows how to live with her entire day scheduled to the max with no free time, and she already knows how to make Maxwell burritos and green smoothies. Even with the dress, she still might fit in better than any of their other prospects.

She might meet Stevehovah's approval if she and her parents act contrite over her wearing a sleeveless dress.

That's sad. Why not either turn her big light airy bedroom (which has more than just a bed in it, unlike her kid's rooms) into a room for the boys or knock out that third bathroom and enlarge the kids room.

Because right now the kids would have to go down a set of stairs to get to the door. If they were in the master bedroom instead, if I'm reading the floorplan and her description correctly, it's an easier exit out the door.

I'm not gonna lie, I would love for my house to be that organized. Once you get it that way, I think it would be pretty easy to maintain. They actually live in the county just north of mine... in fact, I was born in that county. Wonder if she lives in the city I was born in. I should email her and say I'm a homeschooling mom who loves her organization (which is true) and go visit them!

Archived