IGNORED

X-treme Lent Ideas

GeoBQn

Not sure, but I believe Lutherans and Episcopalians do (someone correct me if I'm wrong!), and my mother, a Methodist, participates in Lenten practices as well, so maybe some Methodist congregations, too? :think:

I'm a not-very-good-at-it Catholic. I start out 'giving up' something, but usually cave before Lent is even halfway over. I try to make up for it by donating extra to the food pantry or something. :embarrassed:

Episcopalians definitely do the whole she-bang. Lent, giving up something for Lent, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, et cetera.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many of my friends usually say that they are going to "give up" something for Lent such as sugary drinks or junk food. (One year someone who lived in my dorm loudly announced in the crowded common room that she would give up sex and then proudly announced that she probably wouldn't make it). Many of these people aren't Catholic.

Do other denominations besides Catholic practice Lent?

The best one I heard was from a friend who said she was giving up anger. She said she would attempt to be nicer to people even those that were unfriendly to here and she was hoping she could continue it once Lent was over. That was the one goal that seemed like a worthy thing to give up for Lent. Stuff like junk food just seemed like a second go around at a New Year's Resolution.

I'm UCC in background, attending a Methodist congregation. I'm in the minority observing Lent, but by no means the only one.

Growing up in the Catholic church I was told it is better to do something to help others then to "give up something". I generally think that is a good idea for lent or even a New Years resolution.

Slightly off topic, one habit I am trying to "break" is using paper towels. I obsessively recycle, compost, etc, but paper towels are so hard to part with for me.... ugh.

ETA: I also think doing something to help the "Earth" is a better idea.

This is what the priests emphasized to the kids when I taught in Catholic school and is what our parish priest encourages every year as well. If you do give something up that saves money, he suggests donating it to a charity.

Not sure, but I believe Lutherans and Episcopalians do (someone correct me if I'm wrong!), and my mother, a Methodist, participates in Lenten practices as well, so maybe some Methodist congregations, too? :think:

I'm a not-very-good-at-it Catholic. I start out 'giving up' something, but usually cave before Lent is even halfway over. I try to make up for it by donating extra to the food pantry or something. :embarrassed:

All Eastern Orthodox churches practice Lent. It's 50 days of veganism for adults who choose to fast, no going out, no celebrations or dances scheduled, extra services and prayers. In the US, most Eastern Orthodox kids are encouraged to give up something they enjoy for Lent, and most will stop eating meat on Wednesday and Friday. Lent is also the biggest time of year for charitable giving in Eastern Orthodoxy. There are extra weekly Lenten services and extra prayers.

The week before Easter things go up a notch. Services every day, "dry" food on Thursday and Good Friday (no cooking) no media at all on Good Friday.

Episcopalians definitely do the whole she-bang. Lent, giving up something for Lent, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, et cetera.

All this Episcopalian Lent talk has me in a serious mood for Shrove Tuesday pancakes!

All this Episcopalian Lent talk has me in a serious mood for Shrove Tuesday pancakes!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to veggie jambalaya, which is my Shrove Tuesday tradition.

Do other denominations besides Catholic practice Lent?

Lutherans do as well.

I guess practices vary from country to country and between churches even within Lutheranism, but here most of the churches will cover the altar and maybe the pulpit in violet fabric, the colour of repentance, many churches will have a "Fastelavn" (maskerade party) as a "farewell to all fun"-party to signal the beginning of lent, but in keeping with nordic/lutheran "tradition" of great uncomfort about public displays of faith, people don't really talk about whether or not they are actually fasting.

Only two more weeks!

Maybe I grew up in a more liberal Catholic family, but for us, Lent was a time to do something FOR someone else. Instead of taking the money to get a coffee each week, you gave it to a charity, or something like that.

I believe it's a time to sacrifice for the benefit of someone or something, not just to make yourself suffer and look holy.

But then my brand of Catholicism is probably blasphemous.

How can you grow all your own food when it's not growing season during Lent?

My family would have to spend 40 days eating cress grown on flannels. What fun.

I don't think this woman put much thought into her suggestions.

I don't think the list was to be followed in all areas by any one person. I think it's more a list of suggestions so you could pick one or two. Also a person who isn't following any of them would be level one the first year.

I was a bad girl growing up. I'd always "give up" something I didn't care for much in the first place, usually some type of food item.

A while back Sunshine Mary wrote about one year where she had sex with her husband, HHG, every day during Lent as some sort of spiritual discipline. She said that she would expand upon the idea in an upcoming post. I can hardly wait. :roll:

Reminds me of an 'oldie, but a goodie':

What are you giving up for Lent?

Chastity.

Last year my husband announced he was giving up "giving people the benefit of the doubt." :lol:

We're liberal Episcopalian types and I try to emphasize adding something positive with my girls instead of giving something up. Growing up, we were always taught if you gave up something that cost money you should give the money to charity and if you gave up something that took up time or attention you should instead direct that time or attention to prayer.

Thanks for all of your replies. I ask because to me it seemed like where I went to school all the kids at school who were Christians would give up something for Lent. Almost like they heard the Catholics, Episcopalians,... etc were doing it and thought they should do it to. Several people that were Baptist would give up something every year.

I always give up something for Lent, something that's really a sacrifice like chocolate or no sugar in my coffee. A non-religious friend supports me by also giving spomething up; last year she gave up "trash talking" people only to quickly realize there's a really fine line between saying the truth and trash-talking. LOL.

I've gone full medieval & given up meat for lent before.

This year i've been eating hot cross buns pre-lent so I can give them up during lent & avoid the weight gain.

I've decided to make use of my excess of yarn and make one prayer shawl to donate for every week of Lent. Our church collects them for sick people. Maybe I'll get ambitious and add newborn hats for the hospital.

And, of course, no meat on Fridays.

I've decided to make use of my excess of yarn and make one prayer shawl to donate for every week of Lent. Our church collects them for sick people. Maybe I'll get ambitious and add newborn hats for the hospital.

Hijack: I misread "yarn" as "yam" and thought "How do you make yams into prayer shawls?" :lol:

Seriously, though, great idea!(A lady in my church makes prayer shawls too.)

I love that idea. :) I have too much yarn myself, and am making newborn/preemie hats just because. Well, the yarn is really taking over my livingroom!!!

Fasting is quite unheard practice in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. General public uses Lent and especially Shrove Sunday and Tuesday as an excuse to indulge with laskiaispullas or semlas as they might be better known internationally. And argue which one is the right filling: jam or almond paste. I prefer strawberry jam!

Too much yarn? What is this concept of which you speak? I am unfamiliar with it.

Ha, yeah.... I only have enough to fill the garage... and crawl space.. and guest room...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to veggie jambalaya, which is my Shrove Tuesday tradition.

That sounds good! I'll have to google it & find a recipe. I am old-school Episcopalian and give up meat on Fridays & something for Lent, but have gotten more interested in the idea behind doing something nice for others in recent years. I have been thinking this year I'll do something nice everyday for DH. I am excited that my church does Ashes to Go:) I already checked out the times & am hoping to be able to drive by on my way to drop DS off at preK.

When I was a child we lived in a very Lutheran community and the thing I loved about the start of Lent was Fat Tuesday. Local Lutheran Ladies made these wonderful fried donuts "Fastnachts" it was the only time they made them. Every year while we lived there we would go to the local Lutheran Church to have them, it was a local joke, since we were one of two practicing Jewish families and we were their best customers. Hey they was the SO SO Good. After we moved we tried to find them at other Lutheran Churches however they knew nothing about them. Today on NPR they explained why-it is a PA Dutch tradition, explains everything, plus they put a recipe up. I don't think I will try to make them because I have such great childhood memories of these great fried disc of dough covered with powered sugar. I also know that they were fried in pure lard which is hard to find.

Archived