IGNORED

Team Maxwell!

Eternalbluepearl

I'm guessing that Steve and Terie, of course have their own bathroom. But I'm also going to guess that they have separate bathrooms for the boys and girls. Can't have the boys seeing any feminine hygiene products or anything. There house is fairly large isn't it?

Teri has mentioned that the boys and girls have separate bathrooms. Shockingly the boys actually clean their own bathroom rather than the girls having to do both.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike many of the fundie men, Steve is not above work and isn't opposed to the sons participating in cooking and cleaning. Uh oh. I said something positive about Steve.

Sure, they've posted plenty of times about the guys helping out with cooking or cleaning. I was still surprised that they had regular cleaning jobs assigned to them.

Oh Thank God! They were in danger of having fun. Good thing they can only do weird stuff like virtual shoveling and in skirts, no less.

I think I might describe the Maxwells as being more ascetic than cheap or even frugal - I think they deliberately deny themselves things that would bring enjoyment, though they may have the resources to provide them. Hence making their own clothes, eating the same bland food, everyone sharing the same rooms when there is enough space (between houses) for fewer people per room, etc. I think they are "sacrificing worldly pleasure" for the promise of salvation and eternal reward. I (sort of) understand voluntary cloistering for monks/nuns, but they are supposed to meditate on their faith and read/engage in activity that brings them closer to their God/Nirvana. The Maxwells pray and live a lifestyle largely devoid of pleasure but have no such focus on learning or good works.

Unlike many of the fundie men, Steve is not above work and isn't opposed to the sons participating in cooking and cleaning. Uh oh. I said something positive about Steve.

GET THEE TO THY PRAYER CLOSET!

It is true, we see the Maxwell boys cleaning and cooking. Surly they don't do it as much as the girls do, but definitively more than DimBulb's boys will ever do

With quite a bit of time on their hands (ceiling fans really only need cleaning weekly and even the Maxwells seem to acknowledge that)

Wha??? Ceiling fans should be cleaned weekly? ...And I thought a swipe every couple of years was good...

Your story reminds me of the time my sister fell down the library steps at Clemson University. It happened on the only day that semester that she wore a dress/skirt.

When my mom was in high school, she donated blood at the school blood drive despite only weighing about 90 lbs. She remembers walking down the hallway to class, feeling a little funny, and then waking up on the floor with the dreamy high school quarterback pulling her flowy 70s skirt down from over her head while suggesting that she go to the nurse.

I used to walk to church and now I have to walk to the bus to get to church. I rarely ever wear skirts or dresses to church because I'm so paranoid the wind is going to blow them up. It's never happened but I don't want to risk it. And before fundies start saying that's not a problem with long skirts, it is. I wear long skirts all the time and the wind will blow them around you so they cling to your legs and your crotch, much more revealing/tantalizing than boring old pants.

I have to agree with the sentiment that the Maxwells are frugal but not cheap. They don't buy flashy or extravagant things (because it might be f-u-n). However, for things they do buy, they try to find quality items, even when it's expensive. This goes with what I've read from the Maxwells. Teri and Steve both write about investing in high quality products because it lasts longer and can be re-used. It makes sense their kitchen has high end appliances. They eat in on most days and must cook for a large family. They have gone hiking for years, so it makes sense to buy quality stuff that lasts long. It's one of the few traits I find admirable with the Maxwells (I also want them for any remodeling projects I may have).

I thought about Terri today. When I get sick, I always get a horrible back ache. I couldn't get the painkillers down right away, so I had to suffer.

Terrified probably suffers worse than this when her back pain flares up. To not be allowed to lie in bed and take painkiller and rest... What a horrible thin for Steve to do!

Seriously, they can't even exercise in pants when they are in their own basement where no one will see them??????!!!!???

I can almost kind of sort of grasp the hiking in skirts since others might see them and they women must keep their modesty, but Christ on a cracker even in their own freaking basement with no one around...

silly little miss oleson, their brothers could see them. like the modesty survey says, 'sexual attractiveness doesn't stop to check dna first'. can't be defrauding their brothers.

silly little miss oleson, their brothers could see them. like the modesty survey says, 'sexual attractiveness doesn't stop to check dna first'. can't be defrauding their brothers.

Really? Most people aren't attracted sexually to their siblings... Creeeeeeepyyyyyyy

Maxhell gives me fundie version of a Flowers in the Attic vibe. :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew:

I know we've discussed it here before, but my curiosity finally got the better of me. I posed as a fundie and asked Stevehovah how he and his family dealt with secular music in public places. :lol: Here is the e-mail that I got:

Your comment was quite interesting indeed. Frankly, it sounds like you and your husband will have to work it out together. We expect the world to act like the world. They are never going to uphold the Word of God. I'm sorry but we can't really relate to this.

Have a great day.

He followed this by the requisite bible verses, but the whole thing left me :think:

I know we've discussed it here before, but my curiosity finally got the better of me. I posed as a fundie and asked Stevehovah how he and his family dealt with secular music in public places. :lol: Here is the e-mail that I got:

He followed this by the requisite bible verses, but the whole thing left me :think:

WTF? Do they wear earplugs when they go to the supermarket??

It sounds like the question is so completely beyond his realm of reference.

Would you mind posting what your email said?

StacyW, sure! I posted the following on their blog, which was not posted publicly, but responded to by e-mail:

Congratulations on the 15th anniversary of your ministry! My family and I read your blog often and we want all of you to know that we have been so encouraged by your writings and are so thankful for all that you do! I am writing because my husband and I have really been struggling with music in public places that does not uphold the word of God for our children. Unfortunately, we cannot avoid going to the grocery store or the shoe store. How do you manage this for your family?

BTW, I am not married. I am a single female college grad. Stevus would NOT approve, ha!

Hmmmm, so the Maxwells can't relate to listening to secular music in public places? What's that about? Do they wear ear plugs? Or just actively tune it out? I'm honestly curious. Steve offers no solution but it seems the family has found a way to avoid nonfundie approved music.

Also, while they wouldn't post my comment, the Tits2 comment is still there, unedited. Either they have never heard the word tit and don't know what it means (which is likely, considering how far removed from the world they are), or Steve hasn't read here yet. Slacking. :naughty:

Purposefully unhelpful. A bit surprising he would pass on an opportunity to soapbox on the evils of secular music, so that is confounding. I'm genuinely curious to know how they tune out music at the grocery store. Maybe they have found a Christian grocery store that plays hymns!

I thought about Terri today. When I get sick, I always get a horrible back ache. I couldn't get the painkillers down right away, so I had to suffer.

Terrified probably suffers worse than this when her back pain flares up. To not be allowed to lie in bed and take painkiller and rest... What a horrible thin for Steve to do!

And yet it's one of things in John's chore pack, is it not, to rub Stevovah's shoulders while the great patridork is at the wheel of The Bus (aka Uriah)?

Terifying gets to tough it out. Steve gets a shoulder rub, from the son with probably the strongest hands, being the designated mechanic, and all.

To the problem of Muzak in grocery and shoe stores (love that you mention shoe stores!!!), of course Steve's not giving advice. But I'll bet you he's working on a book that you can buy. See the difference? Giving, no -- selling, sure!!!!

Mark my words - there will be a companion book to "Making Great Conversationalists" soon -- something along the lines of "Keeping Them Holy During Those Dreadful-But-Necessary Trips Outside The House", and Muzak will be addressed! That's why he didn't include the question on the blog!

Archived