IGNORED

do you know your states preamble?

FJismyheadship

Just got this in my email.

Do you know your State's Preamble?

you don't have to read them all, but they all honor God

somebody please get this message to our leaders!!!!!

Be sure to read the message in red at the very bottom!

Alabama 1901, Preamble

We the people of the State of Alabama , invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish the following Constitution..

Alaska 1956, Preamble We, the people of Alaska , grateful to God and to those who founded our nation and pioneered this great land.

Arizona 1911, Preamble We, the people of the State of Arizona , grateful to Almighty God for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution...

Arkansas 1874, Preamble We, the people of the State of Arkansas , grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government...

California 1879, Preamble We, the People of the State of California , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom...

Colorado 1876, Preamble We, the people of Colorado , with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of Universe...

Connecticut 1818, Preamble. The People of Connecticut, acknowledging with gratitude the good Providence of God in permitting them to enjoy.

Delaware 1897, Preamble Through Divine Goodness all men have, by nature, the rights of worshipping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences.

Florida 1885, Preamble We, the people of the State of Florida , grateful to Almighty God for our constitutional liberty, establish this Constitution...

Georgia 1777, Preamble We, the people of Georgia , relying upon protection and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish this Constitution...

Hawaii 1959, Preamble We , the people of Hawaii , Grateful for Divine Guidance ... Establish this Constitution.

Idaho 1889, Preamble We, the people of the State of Idaho , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings.

Illinois 1870, Preamble We, the people of the State of Illinois, grateful to Almighty God for the civil , political and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.

Indiana 1851, Preamble We, the People of the State of Indiana , grateful to Almighty God for the free exercise of the right to choose our form of government.

Iowa 1857, Preamble We, the People of the St ate of Iowa , grateful to the Supreme Being for the blessings hitherto enjoyed, and feeling our dependence on Him for a continuation of these blessings, establish this Constitution.

Kansas 1859, Preamble We, the people of Kansas , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious privileges establish this Constitution.

Kentucky 1891, Preamble.. We, the people of the Commonwealth are grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties..

Louisiana 1921, Preamble We, the people of the State of Louisiana , grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties we enjoy.

Maine 1820, Preamble We the People of Maine acknowledging with grateful hearts the goodness of the Sovereign Ruler of the Universe in affording us an opportunity .. And imploring His aid and direction.

Maryland 1776, Preamble We, the people of the state of Maryland , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberty...

Massachusetts 1780, Preamble We...the people of Massachusetts, acknowledging with grateful hearts, the goodness of the Great Legislator of the Universe In the course of His Providence, an opportunity and devoutly imploring His direction

Michigan 1908, Preamble. We, the people of the State of Michigan , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of freedom, establish this Constitution.

Minnesota, 1857, Preamble We, the people of the State of Minnesota, grateful to God for our civil and religious liberty, and desiring to perpetuate its blessings:

Mississippi 1890, Preamble We, the people of Mississippi in convention assembled, grateful to Almighty God, and invoking His blessing on our work.

Missouri 1845, Preamble We, the people of Missouri , with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, and grateful for His goodness . Establish this Constitution...

Montana 1889, Preamble. We, the people of Montana , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty establish this Constitution ..

Nebraska 1875, Preamble We, the people, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom . Establish this Constitution.

Nevada 1864, Preamble We the people of the State of Nevada , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, establish this Constitution...

New Hampshire 1792, Part I. Art. I. Sec. V Every individual has a natural and unalienable right to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience.

New Jersey 1844, Preamble We, the people of the State of New Jersey, grateful to Almighty God for civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.

New Mexico 1911, Preamble We, the People of New Mexico, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty..

New York 1846, Preamble We, the people of the State of New York , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, in order to secure its blessings.

North Carolina 1868, Preamble We the people of the State of North Carolina, grateful to Almighty God, the Sovereign Ruler of Nations, for our civil, political, and religious liberties, and acknowledging our dependence upon Him for the continuance of those...

North Dakota 1889, Preamble We , the people of North Dakota , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, do ordain...

Ohio 1852, Preamble We the people of the state of Ohio , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings and to promote our common.

Oklahoma 1907, Preamble Invoking the guidance of Almighty God, in order to secure and perpetuate the blessings of liberty, establish this

Oregon 1857, Bill of Rights, Article I Section 2. All men shall be secure in the Natural right, to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences

Pennsylvania 1776, Preamble We, the people of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance.....

Rhode Island 1842, Preamble. We the People of the State of Rhode Island grateful to Almighty God for the civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing....

South Carolina , 1778, Preamble We, the people of he State of South Carolina grateful to God for our liberties, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

South Dakota 1889, Preamble We, the people of South Dakota , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberties .

Tennessee 1796, Art. XI..III. That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their conscience...

Texas 1845, Preamble We the People of the Republic of Texas , acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Utah 1896, Preamble Grateful to Almighty God for life and liberty, we establish this Constitution.

Vermont 1777, Preamble Whereas all government ought to enable the individuals who compose it to enjoy their natural rights, and other blessings which the Author of Existence has bestowed on man ..

Virginia 1776, Bill of Rights, XVI Religion, or the Duty which we owe our Creator can be directed only by Reason and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian Forbearance, Love and Charity towards each other

Washington 1889, Preamble We the People of the State of Washington, grateful to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution

West Virginia 1872, Preamble Since through Divine Providence we enjoy the blessings of civil, political and religious liberty, we, the people of West Virginia reaffirm our faith in and constant reliance upon God ...

Wisconsin 1848, Preamble We, the people of Wisconsin, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, domestic tranquility....

Wyoming 1890, Preamble We, the people of the State of Wyoming , grateful to God for our civil, political, and religious liberties, establish this Constitution...

After reviewing acknowledgments of God from all 50 state constitutions, one is faced with the prospect that maybe, the ACLU and the out-of-control federal courts are wrong! If you found this to be 'Food for thought' send to as many as you think will be enlightened as I hope you were.

(Please note that at no time is anyone told that they MUST worship God.)

Let us bring God back into America!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

God hears a heart cry and the smallest whisper...

------ End of Forwarded Message

© 2014 MicrosoftTermsPrivacyDevelopersEnglish (United States)

I responded

Colorado,, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Vermont, and Washington do not say God. In fact, for all you know, the person who wrote those believed the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe, and it could be construed the exact same way.

Even if the concept of the Christian God is included in every preamble, so what? All the preamble does is reflect the ideas at the time it was written. In Australia, there was debate (which seems to have died down unresolved) as to whether or not we should acknowledge the fact that there were indigenous inhabitants on this land before white settlement. They weren't acknowledged in the original document because, at the time, they were barely regarded as ppl at all, and certainly weren't citizens of the new Australian state.

All this is just to say, ideas change. Preambles change. Even constitutions change. They are merely documents outlining a set of ideas, and written by ppl in a certain time and place. They are not inerrent scripture passed down from the heavens that set the truth in stone, both here and forevermore. (And while we're on the subject, even ppl who believe scripture is inerrant have a fairly different understanding of it than ppl a couple of centuries ago).

Or perhaps I am just an ignorant non-American who doesn't quite understand the way the US constitution is worshipped as a second divine text by right wing. It's an extension of the rabid patriotism that leaves me scratching my head.

Interesting, however, it ignores the rest of the constitutions...here's a bit of mine...

3-15. Religious freedom guaranteed.

No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place or ministry whatsoever; nor shall any man be enforced, restrained, molested or burthened, in his body or goods, or otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument, to maintain their opinions in matters of religion; and the same shall, in nowise, affect, diminish or enlarge their civil capacities; and the Legislature shall not prescribe any religious test whatever, or confer any peculiar privileges or advantages on any sect or denomination, or pass any law requiring or authorizing any religious society, or the people of any district within this state, to levy on themselves, or others, any tax for the erection or repair of any house for public worship, or for the support of any church or ministry, but it shall be left free for every person to select his religious instructor, and to make for his support, such private contracts as he shall please.

3-15a. Voluntary contemplation, meditation or prayer in schools.

Public schools shall provide a designated brief time at the beginning of each school day for any student desiring to exercise their right to personal and private contemplation, meditation or prayer. No student of a public school may be denied the right to personal and private contemplation, meditation or prayer nor shall any student be required or encouraged to engage in any given contemplation, meditation or prayer as a part of the school curriculum.

Yes, hear that people who think prayer and religion need to be everywhere...my state and the federal constitution tell you no, that you have a right to belief and practice as you wish, but you may not force it or make anyone else believe as you do and your religion or lack thereof should not affect getting a job with the government. Suck it, christian whiners.

I swear I remember Michigan being a state a good few decades before 1908... Was it really that recent? I'm really really doubting this...

California became a state in 1850 but the date listed here is 1879 -- maybe it takes a couple of decades to iron out the wrinkles in the constitution?

I know Michigan's - we the people of michigan grateful to almighty god, for the blessings and freedom and earnestly desiring to secure these blessings undiminished to ourselves and our posterity, do solemnly ordain and establish this constitution.

#thankslawschool

I thought that AZ preamble was " We the people of AZ will elect the most batshit crazy people" :lol:

Im not American. What's a preamble?

It's the introductory paragraph on the constitution, generally saying some version of "we the people of [location] hereby declare the following document to be the constitution which we will govern ourselves by" or some sort of thing.

Often they go on and on about the reasons "in order to all be wealthy and happy and orderly forever" type thing, and as you can see from this thread, quite a few of them do mention God.

Meanwhile here in Illinois the state is happy to violate the constitution to steal from our pensions, so I'm not holding my breath that they're going to take the "God" part any more seriously...

While I don't know my state's Preamble, I do know the country's(thanks, Schoolhouse Rock!). :lol:

California became a state in 1850 but the date listed here is 1879 -- maybe it takes a couple of decades to iron out the wrinkles in the constitution?

*Puts on poli-sci nerd hat* States have occasionally been known to toss out their constitutions and write new ones. I'm guessing the dates refer to the year the latest version of the constitution was written rather than the year the state became a state.

Yeah, clearly whoever started that email forward never read the entire constitution of a state. From Wisconsin:

Freedom of worship; liberty of conscience; state

religion; public funds. SECTION 18. [As amended Nov. 1982]

The right of every person to worship Almighty God according

to the dictates of conscience shall never be infringed; nor shall

any person be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of

worship, or to maintain any ministry, without consent; nor shall

any control of, or interference with, the rights of conscience be

permitted, or any preference be given by law to any religious

establishments or modes of worship; nor shall any money be

drawn from the treasury for the benefit of religious societies, or

religious or theological seminaries. [1979 J.R. 36, 1981 J.R. 29,

vote Nov. 1982]

Religious tests prohibited. SECTION 19. No religious

tests shall ever be required as a qualification for any office of

public trust under the state, and no person shall be rendered

incompetent to give evidence in any court of law or equity in

consequence of his opinions on the subject of religion.

Actually, much stronger protections and separations of church and state than I expected, based on some of the bullshit we've been dealing with here the past few years ...

*Puts on poli-sci nerd hat* States have occasionally been known to toss out their constitutions and write new ones. I'm guessing the dates refer to the year the latest version of the constitution was written rather than the year the state became a state.

Agreed, surely they're picking some specific version the constitution. Could be any of them.

And yet, they give the 1870 version for Illinois, even though currently we're on the 1970 version (which still has God in the preamble, so.. yeah). You'd think they'd be more crowing over the fact that we've STILL got God in there.

The preamble is all well and good, but it's what's inside that matters. New York's statement on religious freedom:

The New York Constitution, article I, section 3, reads:

The free exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship,

without discrimination or preference, shall forever be allowed

in this state to all mankind; and no person shall be rendered incompetent

to be a witness on account of his opinions on matters of religious

belief; but the liberty of conscience hereby secured shall not

be so construed as to excuse acts of licentiousness, or justify practices

inconsistent with the peace or safety of this state.

The bolded part is quite important because it prevents people from doing things that hurt others in the name of religion. Therefore, a parent cannot withhold medical care from a child because

the act of withholding medical care from one's child, even on religious grounds, is not an act of worship because it conflicts with

the state interest in protecting children's lives and health.'

This is the part of the constitution that the fundies conveniently overlook. Yes, you are free to worship or not as you please, but you can't use religion as a shield to do whatever you want.

Archived