IGNORED

Walmart tries to help its employees.

Lillybee

Then why do they queue you up at Costco to check your receipt before exiting? I've never understood that….

Supposedly it's to make sure you weren't charged for something in error and to make sure you have everything you purchased. Or so they say.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of businesses in my area that have started checking receipts at the door, it's not only Wal-Mart here. All the big box electronic stores do it, and so does Sam's. I've also noticed when I go to discount department stores that if you buy a purse, cosmetic bag or piece of luggage, they'll search it and pull out the tissue paper to make sure you aren't trying to smuggle other merchandise out inside of it. Can't say I resent this in any way, as shoplifting is a HUGE problem in my favorite local discount store.

There are a lot of businesses in my area that have started checking receipts at the door, it's not only Wal-Mart here. All the big box electronic stores do it, and so does Sam's. I've also noticed when I go to discount department stores that if you buy a purse, cosmetic bag or piece of luggage, they'll search it and pull out the tissue paper to make sure you aren't trying to smuggle other merchandise out inside of it. Can't say I resent this in any way, as shoplifting is a HUGE problem in my favorite local discount store.

I love it when they take out all the paper. Puts me one step closer to using my new bag, right?

There's a specific bit of training about that (at both Walmart and Target, as far as I know). It's "check for BOB or LISA". Bottom of Basket or Look InSide Always. We're supposed to say something like "oh, let me take care of that extra paper for you" when we empty the purse or "Oops, it looks like I forgot to scan this" if you find anything, to be non-confrontational about it. Just my two cents for the conversation.

I can definitely see why stores would do this. The favored discount store I mentioned? The prices are great, but I've had several instances where I've gotten home with a new set of something, such as kitchen knives, and had a bunch of them missing from the box because some other dishonest soul took them. And then the one time I checked a box to make sure everything was there, I got fussed at by a store employee for opening it before buying it. I understood where he was coming from, but oh, the irony. :lol:

In hindsight, I probably should have just asked a store employee to check the box for me.

I don't shop frequently at Walmart any more; in my town they are too rude, and customer service is deplorable

They used to want PAYING customers to provide a receipt upon exiting the store. I always just walked right on by. Small matter of principle, I guess.

If a business suspects you of shoplifting, legally they must wait until you're outside their building/premises before "detaining" you, because as long as you are in the store, there may be the presumption that you intend to pay.

After enduring the agony of shopping in Walmart's hell hole and choosing to spend MY money there, I felt justified in saying screw you at the door.

Actually in all my retail training we were taught, that to apprehend a shoplifter or to stop some one, they must be past a certain point of the store that shows they do not intend to pay. Every store can define their point, it does not have to be fully out the door though. Passing a security point can be enough to stop someone. Also you can legally carry items in your pockets, purse, or whatever and as long as you show intent to pay, you can't be stopped.

Trust me, in a way the rules suck, as it can be nearly impossible to get a person actually charged with shoplifting. I worked at a store aimed at teens and it was difficult just to get them banned from the mall without supervision, we never prosectuted as it is just not worth the effort. Good shoplifters know this and it's why some many of them shoplift so freely. Sucks for innocent people though, and makes for grumpy store employees who have bonuses based on lost prevention, and then constantly have their hands tied to actually prevent real loss most of the time. It's pretty crappy all the way around, well except for the thieves and the companies who have loss insurance or write offs, typically just the workers and innocent people who get hassled

actually pay. Rather typical these days ugh!

I let Costco check my receipt, because we are members. But walmart? If I shop there (and it's very rare) I walk past the "checker" and pretend that t I can't here them. I didn't steal anything and they can't legally do anything to me. I just DGAF and walk out, because I think it's bullshit to treat all of your customers like thieves. Even if they probably are.

I let Costco check my receipt, because we are members. But walmart? If I shop there (and it's very rare) I walk past the "checker" and pretend that t I can't here them. I didn't steal anything and they can't legally do anything to me. I just DGAF and walk out, because I think it's bullshit to treat all of your customers like thieves. Even if they probably are.

As a person who works retail and has for a few years now, checking your receipt does not=we think you are a thief. Nor does going through the new purse or luggage you just bought while checking you out. Nor does asking for id before we swipe your credit or debit card. People get mad, but really we are doing it for the safety of the cardholder. Apparently the reality of identity theft doesn't occur to them and they get pissed that I dare bother them to ask for id. Some people do appreciate the fact we do that though and I am glad we do, especially during the holidays.

I also can say I have accidentally walked out of wal-mart and realized I forgot to pay for something stuck in the back or bottom of the cart :embarrassed: and had to go back in to pay for it. I am just not bothered by a quick look at the receipt. I have nothing to hide. I don't see the difference between letting Sam's look at my receipt and letting another store do so. But then again, with the hate of Wal-Mart, I can see why some people would think, who cares if a few people stole something here and there, it won't hurt them. Loss prevention at these stores work hard to stop thievery. Though I've never been stopped at Wal-Mart except when I had an out of the bag large electronic and they looked at the receipt real quick to make sure you didn't steal it. But whatever, some people just hate Wal-Mart and hate any so-called inconvenience on their part, so anything they do to try and cut back on thievery on the store or their customers is going to get backlash.

That used to annoy me was when my photo was on the front of my card. Because it became clear to me how "policy" over wrote human brain power and common sense.

The difference for me (and I go to Costco, not Sam's, but I think it's the same type of place with a membership agreement) is that I signed a membership agreement at Costco. Well, my boyfriend did, and he doesn't want to lose his membership by not following rules. I figure I should also follow the rules at a private club type business. But Walmart, Best Buy, etc? Those are public businesses, open to the public. Once I purchase an item, the transaction is over, and it is my item. I do not have to submit to anyone searching my person or my property. I simply say "no thank you" and walk out.

Asking for Is, in a lot of cases, different from checking a receipt. If I buy a lot of things, the latter takes forever. Most people I've asked have their I'd handy and it takes less than a minute, plus the servers are already makin their order at that point anyway.

Archived