IGNORED

Mother Barred from Child's School Due to Cancer

Curious

Our subject lines don't allow enough characters (or I'm not creative enough or both).

This mother has stage 4 breast cancer and the Principal of the school doesn't like the smell the meds to shrink her tumor give her, so he banned her from her child's school.

Apparently, someone at the school came to their senses and she and her daughter have been told they can attend the Thanksgiving event and sit with the other parents and children (rather than alone in the Principal's office), but the fact that the Principal felt this was an appropriate action kind of leaves me speechless.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/14/n ... rs-school/

That principal sounds like he has some unresolved issues surrounding his mother's cancer that he needs to work through. How awful that he is taking them out on someone who, sadly, may not have much more time to make memories with her daughter left.

That principal sounds like he has some unresolved issues surrounding his mother's cancer that he needs to work through. How awful that he is taking them out on someone who, sadly, may not have much more time to make memories with her daughter left.

My thoughts exactly. It sounds like the principal needs to be seeking therapy for himself.

It's awful for the mom who may not be around for next thanksgiving, but for the daughter as well to have the principal separate her from her peers? The poor girl is already dealing with so much...the principal could be such an amazing support for the daughter as he went through having a parent be ill with breast cancer. But instead he apparently chooses to wallow in anger and sadness.

How can someone be so cruel and disgusting?

A few weeks ago, we were at the funeral of a woman who passed away from cancer, leaving 3 little girls behind. My MIL was the school secretary, and she told us all about how this mom came every day to pick up her kids, even when it was clear that she was dying. Never in a million years would my MIL have thought to consider her presence as something negative.

The mom in this story may not have much time left, her daughter needs to be with her mom as much as possible and have positive memories.

How can someone be so cruel and disgusting?

A few weeks ago, we were at the funeral of a woman who passed away from cancer, leaving 3 little girls behind. My MIL was the school secretary, and she told us all about how this mom came every day to pick up her kids, even when it was clear that she was dying. Never in a million years would my MIL have thought to consider her presence as something negative.

The mom in this story may not have much time left, her daughter needs to be with her mom as much as possible and have positive memories.

A similar event happened at my child's school. It was heartbreaking watching Mum coming every afternoon to pick up her child just as she had done for 5 years. We were all aware of the situation and it was her wish for her child to have that normality for as long as possible. Towards the end of her illness it was a real discomfort for her but still, she got herself looking as good as she could with a big smile. She was a beautiful sight.

I genuinely think if something similar to this story had happened it would have caused an absolute stampede of horror.

I just can't imagine that on top of dealing with a potentially life limiting illness this poor woman is subjected to this :(

A similar event happened at my child's school. It was heartbreaking watching Mum coming every afternoon to pick up her child just as she had done for 5 years. We were all aware of the situation and it was her wish for her child to have that normality for as long as possible. Towards the end of her illness it was a real discomfort for her but still, she got herself looking as good as she could with a big smile. She was a beautiful sight.

I genuinely think if something similar to this story had happened it would have caused an absolute stampede of horror.

I just can't imagine that on top of dealing with a potentially life limiting illness this poor woman is subjected to this :(

If I were one of the other parents, I would get other like minded parents together with their kids and spend TG with the mother who has BC and her child ELSEWHERE. I'm sure a lot of restaurants would be happy to cater such an event.

People with cancer smell bad? I have a *seriously* good sense of smell and people who spend a lot of time in hospitals and on serious meds do smell different - sort of chemically/hospitally kind of thing - but it's not in any way a horrible or disgusting smell, and I reckon 9 out of 10 people wouldn't notice it. (I'm the sort of person people bring milk or food to to smell if it's off, because they can't tell themselves).

People's smell is usually a positive thing rather than a bad thing unless you already dislike the person. Normally folk smell of what they eat, so you get the complaint from racists that British Asians "stink of curry". All people who eat a lot of spicy food smell a bit of spices to me, regardless of race, and I find it to be a pleasant and likeable scent and not at all a "stink". The same with garlic - I can smell that strongly off people and it makes me think of fine dining, as though they had been out to a restaurant, or the smell of fields with wild garlic in them.

The person who smells of chemicals and hospitals has a hell of a lot more to worry about than what they smell like. Even if the smell is offensive to someone, they should just get over it and respect the person, who may not have a lot more time left and would like to enjoy the bit they have.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived