IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect: Whee! Polyamory

happy atheist

Good God, she called partial paralysis 'the wobblies'?! When I was recovering from surgery years ago, I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to a medication (including involuntary motions of my eyes, neck, and limbs) and when my dad realized it, he went and shouted for nurses to come help. He definitely didn't call them 'the wobblies' and tell me to buck up! When your kid is incapacitated, how can you /not/ try to take control of the situation?!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paralysis ticks are usually not serious. Having said that, Lana's tick must've been on there a while to have so many symptoms. We probably get a tick a week around here, some of them paralysis. I wouldn't bother going to the hospital. On the other hand, it is strange, as others have noted, that no-one noticed the tick as they usually lead to localised pain/ discomfort after a short while. And also you find them in the course of normal contact, bathing, cuddling, hairbrushing.But it's all an "adventure" I guess.

ugh, I know it's a few pages back but I have to address some of Lauren's comments regarding a sitting the UMAT test in her answer to whether one can get into university in Australia without finishing year 12.

Lauren, you pretentious twit. Anyone can register to sit UMAT, there's no special invitation for those who are 'eligible' :roll: It's just that if you don't have the school or university grades, your medical school application won't be considered no matter how well you do.

And, as someone who has been through the selection process for medicine here in Australia, I can also tell you that you certainly can't get in based off a STAT test score. Selection is based off school and previous university grades only, at least to all the unis I applied to.

I considered sitting the UMAT and applying through my university to study medicine and I got in through the STAT. I was only going to apply there because I knew it was the only university that would consider me with my background. I spoke to a lot of different people at my school about applying and they seemed to think that because of a variety of reasons I would have a chance as long as I scored very high on the test. In the end I decided that I didn't score high enough on my practice UMATs, that I really only had a very slim chance of getting in and that even if I did get accepted somehow I would still prefer the job I'm working towards over being a medical examiner.

So she's right that with the right circumstances someone who got into university with the STAT could be considered for medical school but I highly doubt they'd get in. They definitely wouldn't get in fresh off the UMAT with no previous university study under their belt.

My circumstances were pretty unique though. And there is no way I was deluded enough to think I had any kind of chance whatsoever at any university other than the one I was at. Even then, I knew my chances were basically slim to none. Lauren is an idiot.

Google oil pulling, it will amuse you for hours.

The WAP dental thing is based on vitamins A and D, which are fat soluble vitamins, found in things like butter and cod liver oil. So WAP says you should eat lots of fats, esp butter and cod liver oil. But vegans are so used to subbing things they just substitute oils for fats without caring why they're supposed to eat them. That's why they're telling her to just use coconut oil. But vitamins A and D are not found in vegetable sources. You can make your own A from beta carotene, and D from the sun, but to eat them you need to be eating an animal product.

But, the whole thing is bullshit anyway (WAP was looking at starving kids in the 20's, who probably never had a balanced diet). I wonder if there's a dental placebo effect?

Oil pulling is proven to be good for your gums, I think? But its not going to cure all your ails, fix tooth decay & also not going to replace proper dental hygiene.

Paralysis ticks are usually not serious. Having said that, Lana's tick must've been on there a while to have so many symptoms.

Lauren said it was the size of her pinky fingernail. I've never seen this particular kind of tick in real life, but, based on what I could find online, that is one very engorged paralysis tick.

It just seems like yet another sign that Lauren is from the W. C. Fields school of child care:

cZs7rjL.jpg

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone. I know its really morbid. But FJ is the only place I have ever seen a real discussion of Lauren's lifestyle and the possible dangers to her children that could result from that lifestyle. I guess I just need to get this worry off my chest and you all are the only people who would even know what I was talking about.

The other day I read the story of an Australian couple who let their toddler twins starve to death. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 6727584037 When I got to the part of the story where the mother describes stopping the twins normal diet and switching to only giving formula occasionally I immediately thought of Lauren's girls. I began wondering if it is possible for her girls to starve to death slowly because of their poor and erratic diet?

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone. I know its really morbid. But FJ is the only place I have ever seen a real discussion of Lauren's lifestyle and the possible dangers to her children that could result from that lifestyle. I guess I just need to get this worry off my chest and you all are the only people who would even know what I was talking about.

The other day I read the story of an Australian couple who let their toddler twins starve to death. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 6727584037 When I got to the part of the story where the mother describes stopping the twins normal diet and switching to only giving formula occasionally I immediately thought of Lauren's girls. I began wondering if it is possible for her girls to starve to death slowly because of their poor and erratic diet?

I think malnutrition is more likely than starvation. From what we've seen, she does provide food, just not a carefully balanced diet that covers all the bases for growing little vegetarians and vegans.

Malnutrition yes. Starvation over a long period of time is very possible also considering the amount they eat (when not fed by someone else) a meal is normally one apple or a handful of grains

The big difference between Lauren's family and the those poor Queensland babies is that Lauren's girls are visible. All over the Internet, and at all the "friends" homes they turn up to. If anything is really severely wrong, it's probable someone will say something......some of the "friends" maybe not, but those girls are not hidden away. It's the invisible signs of poor nutrition and long term effects that won't be seen. (in no way standing up for Lauren!!). The Queensland babies story defies belief. That it could even happen is just - beyond words.

Off topic:

Apologies for being bitchy/condescending about education earlier. I had just read way too much industry stuff from smug braggarts and I was feeling defensive.

Carry on!

Thanks for posting it. It was a terrible but important story.

Luckily, I don't think our Lozza fits into that category. Maybe the other side of the same coin. She's arrogant and loves attention far too much! And she marshalls help as required. She has got more of a support base too.

I read the new title as WHEEL polyamory and actually cackled. Woke up my cat. :shifty-kitty:

Now that's something I might be interested in. Sounds wheely fun.

Kind of related but this thread made me look up top ranked Universities in the world. Depending on which link you click after search the results vary. I used..

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... ld-ranking

There is a little box that allows you to change the criteria on which the scores are made. I clicked teaching environment and research as these would be important for me. Although not radical it does change the order.

I'm not sure though that good Universities reflects good education in a particular country. I think the top ten world renowned Uni's benefit from the fact that they attract overseas students from countries with a far better standard of education. South Korea as example. Sweden.

They are built on reputation, history and yes money. I think like a lot of other accepted norms of the Western world this will change in the future.

I really just can't with the getting a score for just being there thing? Seriously? The UK just announced that their GCSE exams will be returning to exam only, no more assessment, no more coursework. Probably requires it own thread. I'm actually ok with it.

The open enrollment isn't in regards to money but qualifications. To be accepted at my college I had to submit my grades, recommendations, an essay and my SAT scores and the beat out 60% of the other people who applied my year. I'm pretty sure my husband graduated from the CC Haligh teaches at all he needed was proof he had a HS diploma or a GED.

In my classes the attendance score wasn't so much points for showing up but as a deduction for not. It was to force people who could pass the class with out actually attending to come to class. Which professors only cared about because the school did since part of our funding was based on class attendance. It was much more likely to bump someone down from an A to a B than up.

Just to drag the conversation back to the dentist for a minute ... In NSW any child whose parents have a health care card can get free dental treatment at public dental clinics. Someone earlier suggested you might need to be a school student but out here where I live, there are no school dental clinics - we just took our kids to the clinic at the hospital when they were little. (I'm not sure of the rules if you don't have a HCC as we transferred to a private dentist as soon as we could afford it but Lauren would certainly be eligible.) It's so sad to think these little girls are not getting really basic care and so frustrating that groups like DOCS haven't been able to catch them out.

This was on her twitter "Still too often, the pit of hell that I descend into is the one of my own imagination."

I thought the quite from the Sparkling one was due to no free internet. Scary if she's lasped back into depression with those poor girls in a bus somewhere.

This was on her twitter "Still too often, the pit of hell that I descend into is the one of my own imagination."

I thought the quite from the Sparkling one was due to no free internet. Scary if she's lasped back into depression with those poor girls in a bus somewhere.

Has she been posting on Facebook?

she has. She was looking for someone to accompany her on "a personal errand" in melbourne on the 12th, has been posting a couple of things about interesting words (including a definition of quaintrelle), a Lao Tzu quote of "New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings" on the 13th and yesterday a link to this article http://youandmeisthree.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/hairy/ with a note saying she's still contemplating what to do about her leg hair in light of having daughters.

She sounds lonely.

she has. She was looking for someone to accompany her on "a personal errand" in melbourne on the 12th, has been posting a couple of things about interesting words (including a definition of quaintrelle), a Lao Tzu quote of "New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings" on the 13th and yesterday a link to this article http://youandmeisthree.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/hairy/ with a note saying she's still contemplating what to do about her leg hair in light of having daughters.

She sounds lonely.

Hm. Maybe Marcus split?

IKR? First rule of depression is to set yourself up in a safe situation, put your utilities on auto-pay, that sort of thing. Alone with four kids on a bus is not a safe situation.

When Lauren (at Sparkling Adventures) does not post for a while I always worry about them (well about her children). She is so off the deep end that when she doesn't post I always imagine the worst has happened. And with this family the worst can be anything.

She hasn't posted in 12 days!

Archived