IGNORED

Awkward Today Show Proposal

GeoBQn

On the Today Show this morning, Al Roker brought out a young woman, Simone Jhingoor. She was going to talk about the nonprofit organization she works for, Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation.

whedco.org/whoweare/whatwedo

Just as she was about to explain it, her boyfriend came out and proposed to her. He gave a long, self-serving speech that began with the statement, "You are not here to talk about your work." She said yes, but when Al asked her if she was surprised, she responded that she really believed she was brought onto the show to talk about her organization. She had rehearsed what she was going to say about it. When she tried bringing up her organization again, Al and her boyfriend ignored her and the segment ended soon after that.

http://jezebel.com/heres-a-very-awkward ... 1451379490

My friends have been posting links to the Today Show's contact form so that people can request that Simone be brought back to the show to do what she had intended to do in the first place--bring attention to what sounds like a very worthy organization that's helping the world.

today.com/id/29041920/ns/today-today_participate/t/email-today/#.UmlCOmR4bSA

Wow, way to go, boyfriend. You managed to trivialize the importance of your girlfriend's work, all while making a special "couple" moment completely about you. If I had been Jhingoor, I would have turned him down flat, right there on television.

For what it's worth, I am against public marriage proposals in general. It's a personal choice that should be discussed at length and made by the couple in private, not something to be sprung on one or the other in public without his/her prior knowledge. Anyone who surprises their mate with a public proposal without discussing it ahead of time deserves to be turned down flat.

Sorry, ladies! You're only allowed on tv to be proposed to. No need to blather on about the interesting, important, and fulfilling work you do.

There's also a huge difference between proposing in front of friends, or at a restaurant, and proposing on a show watched by millions!

At the very least, you should suss out whether or not your partner would be okay with a public proposal prior to it happening.

Anymore you see woman when suck in such situations saying no. It is not something you should do on tv and I bet she felt bad about her cause too. Wish she said no and knocked him down a few notches.

They now have an article about her organization on their website. They must have gotten a lot of angry e-mails about this.

today.com/allday/she-got-engaged-plaza-now-hear-about-her-non-profit-8C11462854

Sorry, ladies! You're only allowed on tv to be proposed to. No need to blather on about the interesting, important, and fulfilling work you do.

There's also a huge difference between proposing in front of friends, or at a restaurant, and proposing on a show watched by millions!

At the very least, you should suss out whether or not your partner would be okay with a public proposal prior to it happening.

Yeah, that's true enough. As long as both parties are agreeable, it could be incredibly sweet to receive a proposal in front of a private gathering of family and friends.

All of my horror-filled fantasies involve being proposed to in front of cameras in a large stadium, all while having it shown on a jumbotron. :lol:

Runaway, Simone, run far, far away. Your new fiance is clearly a self-serving douchebro. And speaking of douchebros, did you get a load of the shouting bros in the audience with the "She said yes" signs before she even said, "yes." Ugh, just ugh.

I'm not a big fan of over-the-top proposals-the flash mobs, the brass bands, the invited media, the big brass bands. They just need to go away. I hope the trend dies a big death.

They now have an article about her organization on their website. They must have gotten a lot of angry e-mails about this.

today.com/allday/she-got-engaged-plaza-now-hear-about-her-non-profit-8C11462854

yet they didn't respond to my email.

• 2 weeks later...

The couple got a "do-over" proposal on Totally Biased with Kamau Bell. At least they both have a sense of humor.

jezebel.com/crap-proposal-from-today-show-gets-a-do-over-on-totally-1460934609

Yeah, that's true enough. As long as both parties are agreeable, it could be incredibly sweet to receive a proposal in front of a private gathering of family and friends.

All of my horror-filled fantasies involve being proposed to in front of cameras in a large stadium, all while having it shown on a jumbotron. :lol:

OMG- THIS. Every baseball game we went to this year, including Spring Training, had a freaking proposal. I would kill my husband if he did it this way.

I cringed. I always tell people that if I got proposed to in a big public to-do, I'd say no regardless of how much I loved the dude. In my case, a proposal like this would just show a remarkable lack of understanding of the way I am and the things I like.

I cringed. I always tell people that if I got proposed to in a big public to-do, I'd say no regardless of how much I loved the dude. In my case, a proposal like this would just show a remarkable lack of understanding of the way I am and the things I like.

I have a season ticket to a professional basketball team*, and they have at least 30 of these proposals put up on the Jumbotron every year. A couple of years ago, the woman, clearly appalled, said no, slapped the guy in the face with her purse, and stormed off.

*OK, the Knicks, an allegedly professional basketball team.

I wish she would have said "Not unless I get to finish my piece about my work." But, let's be honest, when put on the spot like that, the first thing that comes to mind is "You're dead as soon as these cameras are gone."

I have a season ticket to a professional basketball team*, and they have at least 30 of these proposals put up on the Jumbotron every year. A couple of years ago, the woman, clearly appalled, said no, slapped the guy in the face with her purse, and stormed off.

*OK, the Knicks, an allegedly professional basketball team.

That is awesome :lol:

I can't decide if its arrogance or bravery to propose in front of thousands like that.

Same here. This type of proposal situation would earn the guy an automatic "no". And it wouldn't matter how much I loved the guy, that would be seriously blowing it as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing, if a guy thinks a proposal should be a big public thing, then I would wonder what else he's going to think it's OK to go public on. I would dread the wedding, even more dreading having a baby with him.

Archived