IGNORED

The Girl With 7 Mums

miffy

• 7 months later...

This was on tv last night. I am still freaked out about how this creep removed his 3 month old from one wife and gave her to another because the sinful baby cried when he held it.

I know a Jewish family with the surname Smith. Judaism is passed down through the mother, so the kids would still be Jewish if a Jewish woman married a non-Jewish man.

And Messianic Judaism is a pretty new thing. I wouldn't consider them Jewish. They're Christians who follow Jewish traditions.

I saw a snippet of the documentary "Philip and his Seven Wives." If anybody can find the full thing, please let me know!

I know a Jewish family with the surname Smith. Judaism is passed down through the mother, so the kids would still be Jewish if a Jewish woman married a non-Jewish man.

And Messianic Judaism is a pretty new thing. I wouldn't consider them Jewish. They're Christians who follow Jewish traditions.

I saw a snippet of the documentary "Philip and his Seven Wives." If anybody can find the full thing, please let me know!

There are plenty of Jews named Smith.

A quick google of "Philip and his seven wives turns up a bunch of interesting stuff. I'm reading an article on FailedMessiah right now. I don't know if the whole video is available online. It does look like he may actually have been a legit rabbi that just went majorly off the rails.

Nothing to add except that I used to see one of the wives on the bus from time to time. I believe one or possibly two have left him.

He seems like a huge ego on legs.

They are Christians, but the ones I've met (I've not met all that many, though!) have been Christians who are ethnically and culturally Jewish and not just Christians who decided that Judaism was cool and they wanted to celebrate a few more holidays. I'm sure many of those type exist (we talk about some here, I think), but there are also plenty who are truly balancing their cultural history with their religious beliefs.

All the Messianic Jews I know of (a few families) are Christians who wanted to be Jewish basically. I consider them Christians who just like the Jewish culture/holidays/traditions. There is even a Bible out there called the Jewish Bible I believe that Messianics use.

Archived