IGNORED

Kelly 2 breasts making things up.

OkToBeTakei

I want a chance to counsel each of these women too. I will tell them that I had an abortion. It was a good decision and I have never regretted it. Surely if she can bully women with the anti-message, I should be allowed to bully them with the pro-message.

I knew about the pill when I was five, I remember my mom taking it, and knew what it was for.

I think a kid is too young to be told that if their parents used protection when having sex that day, she wouldnt exist.

God got a virgin pregnant, so why do fundies think that a condom or taking a pill will prevent him from blessing someone with a baby if he really wants them to. Isnt God supposed to control everything, he could make the condom break, the Pill fail, make something happen for her to miss every appointment she makes to have an abortion...its not like God is sat there all day with a big list of couples who are currently having unprotected sex and deciding whether to give a baby to each of those couples. If that was true and he is all knowing and all seeing and can tell what will happen in the future, why did he give babies to the 11 year old who is being raped, the starving, hungry woman who cant afford another child, the person who will abuse and then murder this child, the person who God knows will schedule an abortion the day she finds out she is pregnant, and ignore the many loving couples who try and try but just arent able to get pregnant as much as they really want to.

Unprotected sex causes pregnancy. People who have a lot of unprotected sex have a lot of pregnancies (unless they are infertile), people who do not have unprotected sex do not pregnant. Unless you are a virgin and an angel appeared to you and told you that you are going to give birth to the son of God, God did not choose that you got pregnant. He has better things to do, like tell the Maxwells what to have for dinner.

There are loads of things that could have prevented each person from being born. If a different sperm fertilised the egg, you could have had a small difference in genetics. If your parents didnt have sex that night, you might not have been born. If your parents never met you wouldt have been born. What about the babies that could have been concieved when your parents were pregnant with you? What about people who were concieved 4 months after their mother had an abortion? If she didnt, they wouldnt have been born.

There are appropriate ways to speak to a young child about if the parents are planning another baby or what birth control is. But scaring your child by telling them they might have never existed isn't the way to do it. Kelly is an idiot.

The "children in heaven waiting to be born" concept sounds a lot like the Mormon concept of the "pre-existence." It's also like the little (and totally unofficial) fairy tale Catholic moms like mine used to tell their kids about their having been "little angels in heaven" before they were born.

Kelly's chat with Kyla reminds me of a couple I've had with my grandson about my dog:

At age 4--

Ev: Can Tippy have puppies?

Me: No, honey--she's too old.

At age 6--

Ev: Isn't Tippy ever going to have puppies?

Me: No, bud--she's ten and a half and she's too old. Besides, I had her spayed a long time ago. [explanation of spaying, along with mention of the fact that Tip's never had the opportunity to mate with a male dog. Disclaimer: the kid watches Nat Geo Wild and Animal Planet nonstop.]

Are you thinking of "The 7th Sign", where she came thisclose to giving birth to the antichrist (or something)?

No, the baby was going to be soulless because the guf was empty, but she gave it her soul and the guf was refilled. And Kevin Bacon was there, too, I think.

ETA: No, it was Michael 'Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure' Biehn. Squeeeeeee!

I just checked online and the only Bacon-Moore film was A Few Good Men.

I knew about the pill when I was five, I remember my mom taking it, and knew what it was for.

I think a kid is too young to be told that if their parents used protection when having sex that day, she wouldnt exist.

God got a virgin pregnant, so why do fundies think that a condom or taking a pill will prevent him from blessing someone with a baby if he really wants them to. Isnt God supposed to control everything, he could make the condom break, the Pill fail, make something happen for her to miss every appointment she makes to have an abortion...its not like God is sat there all day with a big list of couples who are currently having unprotected sex and deciding whether to give a baby to each of those couples. If that was true and he is all knowing and all seeing and can tell what will happen in the future, why did he give babies to the 11 year old who is being raped, the starving, hungry woman who cant afford another child, the person who will abuse and then murder this child, the person who God knows will schedule an abortion the day she finds out she is pregnant, and ignore the many loving couples who try and try but just arent able to get pregnant as much as they really want to.

Unprotected sex causes pregnancy. People who have a lot of unprotected sex have a lot of pregnancies (unless they are infertile), people who do not have unprotected sex do not pregnant. Unless you are a virgin and an angel appeared to you and told you that you are going to give birth to the son of God, God did not choose that you got pregnant. He has better things to do, like tell the Maxwells what to have for dinner.

There are loads of things that could have prevented each person from being born. If a different sperm fertilised the egg, you could have had a small difference in genetics. If your parents didnt have sex that night, you might not have been born. If your parents never met you wouldt have been born. What about the babies that could have been concieved when your parents were pregnant with you? What about people who were concieved 4 months after their mother had an abortion? If she didnt, they wouldnt have been born.

I wish certain fundies would read this and take it seriously. Then again, you can present legitimate questions and arguements to people like Kelly, and they turn a deaf ear. :angry-banghead:

You know, I think fundies/quiverfulls have a belief that God has planned, for each married couple, a certain number of children who are somehow already beings even though they haven't been conceived. So to use contraception is to deny these beings the right to being conceived and born.

This logic is wrong on so many levels. Even if you believe God has created and planned each life, doesn't mean that if I use birth control for a year, and wait to have a baby until next year, that I've missed out on conceiving baby "A" which should (??) have been born this year. God is going to give you the kids he planned for you whenever you have them, because there isn't life until conception. (Umm...okay, I realize this is my opinion, but I wanted to show the difference between that and what people such as Kelly believe.)

As somebody said once, "So God is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-wise, and all-capable, but He can't figure out how to make a condom break?"

I've known people who got pregnant with every kind of birth control out there, including the pill, Depo, unbroken condoms, and vasectomies. I even saw a viable intrauterine pregnancy after the woman had her tubes tied.

I simply cannot understand how an all powerful god would let a few chemicals get in the way. I mean, Mary was a virgin, right?

You said it better than I did!

My late MIL used to quip that her husband (he died before I met her son) could walk past her and smile and she would get pregnant. They used every contraceptive then on the market, and it didn't matter.

Meanwhile, I know a young couple who were really, really, really stupid :shifty: and still didn't get pregnant until they planned to, years later.

I can vaguely remember a movie, possibly Shirley Temple, where she meets all the children who will be born one day. There is a kind of heaven for them where they wait. Towards the end of the the lead girl is sad because she has made friends and has to leave them behind and go home. The friends say not to worry, they will see her again, they are going to be her brother and sister. (I was really little when I saw the movie and it was already really old. Maybe someone else can identify it.) Anyway, I think that is exactly how fundies see the world. Lots of little children standing around waiting to be born.

I remember that one!! The Bluebird. There's a bit where a batch of children was being sent off to be born and one of them was desperately clinging to one of the kids who wasn't being born yet. They were crying because they were in love and he was going off to be born and she was staying behind, and he would die before she got to be born so they'd never be able to find each other again. That part really screwed me up when I was a kid.

Hehe. Read up on her then you will understand. She once posted a recipe in which she fed 12 people with 2 chicken breasts and how this was FABULOUS nutrition for her kids. She's a special kind of horrible. Lives on her parents land. Likes to make out everybody but her is reliant on 'help' well IF I lived in or on my parents land free I would not be giving those who do not advice. Then the tornado that destroyed her house. But God provided. She begged basically. Then made a huge issue of saying she took no Government assistance. Begging is better.

So I do apologise I'm sure the LittleMamalings are fine it makes more sense when you say you do not know her so I am sorry for that comment, I assumed by commenting Kelly Generation Starvation 2 chicken breasts would have been familiar to you.

I suggest a search of all her misnomers :lol:

I suspect her post on feeding her family with only 2 chicken breasts was inspired by another story of feeding the multitudes with a loaf of bread and a fish.

Okay so I actually searched her and I find it hilarious that since the second post she has been known as Kelly 2 Chicken Breasts. I didn't know she was Generation Cedar at first. I need the simple laughs today, my 22 month old is now in a toddler bed in the room with her sister... Lots of camping by the door on nap time patrol.

[list=]

There are appropriate ways to speak to a young child about if the parents are planning another baby or what birth control is. But scaring your child by telling them they might have never existed isn't the way to do it. Kelly is an idiot.

There are actually three people in my family who I could see coming to that conclusion on their own at that age. It's not a big logical step from "mommy, what is that pill you're taking for?" To "taking this medicine lets mommy decide when to have another baby" to "aggghhh, mommy, I might never have been born!"

But that's due to a particular combination of being both very bright AND highly anxious about the big picture questions. Which in day to day life aren't the most calming combination of traits.

I think that mom could have at least tried to handle the conversation in a way that would lessen, instead of heighten, anxiety.

I highly doubt the conversation unfolded as Kelly says it did. Kelly has a habit of taking a nugget of truth and spinning it into her own banal parables.

I remember that one!! The Bluebird. There's a bit where a batch of children was being sent off to be born and one of them was desperately clinging to one of the kids who wasn't being born yet. They were crying because they were in love and he was going off to be born and she was staying behind, and he would die before she got to be born so they'd never be able to find each other again. That part really screwed me up when I was a kid.

That movie was disturbing on many levels, and yet I watched it whenever it was on when I was a kid. The part that bothered me was when they visited their dead grandparents who were sad and lonely, waiting for someone to remember them. The kids visit, and the grandparents are awake and happy. After the kids leave, they are sad and lonely again and just go to sleep. Great movie for young children!

When you mentioned Demi Moore/Kevin Bacon I thought you were talking about 80s move, Make in Heaven, which has a heaven full of babies waiting to be born/reincarnated. Then I realized I was way, way off base and that was Kelly McGillis and Timothy Hutton.

I saw one like that with demi moore in it.

I'm not sure about all fundies or even fundie lites, but the Mormons believe something like this. That there is a finite number of souls who need to be brought into life so that they can fulfill the ultimate destiny of marrying and bringing more souls into life, who then go on to heaven, the highest destiny of which would be a man ruling his own planet with his wife at his side. It's a form of eschatology, or of bringing about God's Kingdom finally to fruition.

Fundies, I'm not sure believe in the pre-existence of souls who need to be born to life, but the goal is the same: have more babies and teach them your beliefs and then they, in turn, will teach their children ... etc. and thereby bringing Dominion.

This thread brought so many replies to my brain. First, lol @ "I think it had Kevin Bacon in it." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon if you don't know why it made my nerdy self laugh. :)

Secondly, and the main point. I could tell a long story or a short story version of why Kelly's post pissed me off so much, but I'll stick w/the short. Basically, the super-fundy phase I went through a couple years ago introduced me to the whole "as many as God wants to give us" people. When I chose to have my tubal last July, it was basically, "Reasons To Stop Having Kids: 20." (All very valid), against "Reasons To Keep Having Kids: 1." (Guilt trips from people like Kelly and Above Rubies).

I don't know why she has to blog about how she will have as many kids as God wants her to. What is the point except to be self-righteous? If you want to have X amount of kids, that's fine. Maybe 12 is right for you. But guess what, FOUR is right for me, and not a baby more! And you know what else? My older girls (who are old enough to understand, not FIVE for crying out loud) are not in the least sad that I won't be having any more. I also do not teach them that they "wouldn't be here" had I taken a pill. That doesn't even make sense. Yes, it's true that they wouldn't be here, but they also wouldn't be here to CARE that they wouldn't be here, and all that butterfly effect hypothetical stuff is WAY too much for a 5-year-old to wrap her little mind around!

One more thing. I have kind of a lifelong obsession with following baby name trends, so I just have to say that both Kaiden and Jace are perfectly acceptable modern names. Between the years 2000 and 2012, Kaiden has jumped astronomically from #840 in popularity in the U.S., to #154. And that's not even taking into account all the various spellings. Jace has done even better- it was #86 in 2012. So there could easily be any number of doctors with these names in thirty years. :)

-edited because another thing made me sad! :cry:

That movie was disturbing on many levels, and yet I watched it whenever it was on when I was a kid. The part that bothered me was when they visited their dead grandparents who were sad and lonely, waiting for someone to remember them. The kids visit, and the grandparents are awake and happy. After the kids leave, they are sad and lonely again and just go to sleep. Great movie for young children!

I plan to never, ever watch this movie. How disturbing.

Archived