IGNORED

Grandfather disowns daughter after she disowns gay son

wayward

This makes me :D . For the daughter she needs to stop being a bitch. And until there are more grandparents like this, our world is continuing to make it okay to condone discrimination amongst all people.

I don't know if its real or not ( kind of seems real just by the wording, but who knows ) . I loved that the grandfather was so loving to his grandson, and understand him telling his daughter he was disappointed in her and the lecture, but I think his disowning her was counter productive.

I'm with doggie ^^

It made me smile and I found myself saying "go, gramps!" but I have to agree, I don't believe this is real.

I'm with doggie ^^

It made me smile and I found myself saying "go, gramps!" but I have to agree, I don't believe this is real.

I don't, either. There are too many of this type of letter floating around the Internet now, and I find it hard to believe that an older man is more accepting of a gay teenager than his (presumably middle-aged) daughter is. (That would be plausible only if the daughter went fundie at some point, is married to an archconservative, whatever.)

I don't, either. There are too many of this type of letter floating around the Internet now, and I find it hard to believe that an older man is more accepting of a gay teenager than his (presumably middle-aged) daughter is. (That would be plausible only if the daughter went fundie at some point, is married to an archconservative, whatever.)

I also don't believe this is real since there are too many of these floating around. My grandpa was such a devout Catholic that he was the type who went to church daily, and would have supported disowning someone who was gay. My grandma is still a devout Catholic, and is the only family member who doesn't know that a cousin of mine is gay, nor will she be told about his wedding now that he can get married.

I don't know if it's real or not, but it is perfectly plausible that a mid-60s boomer, ex-hippie with a product of the Reagan era 40-something daughter would be the more liberal of the two.

Remember "Family Ties"

ETA: 80s cultural reference

I don't know if it's real or not, but it is perfectly plausible that a mid-60s boomer, ex-hippie with a product of the Reagan era 40-something daughter would be the more liberal of the two.

Remember "Family Ties"

That's exactly what I thought ! Including the "Family Ties" reference :lol:

Remember "Family Ties"

Why do you have trouble with that? Remember the original No Longer Quivering, the woman who wasn't Vyckie? She was raised by an openly gay mother and her partner. She married at 18 after knowing a religious boy for 2 months and promptly cut her mother and her partner out of her life because they were gay.

So I have absolutely no problem believing a 60 year old man could be far more liberal and far less religious than his 40 year old daughter. It happens.

I'm with doggie ^^

Agree! On both accounts it might be fake but if not as said above "go gramps".

Ehm how did the poster get access to the letter? I seriously doubt the daughter would have taken a photo of it and then published it on the internet for people to see. That's what makes me think this is bull... Also the left-handed part. I realize that it's probably not an unique example, but that happen to be exactly what I wrote on the interwebs to my dear future potential gay son. Not that I really think my idea to say that being gay is not more of a choice than being left-handed is, is such an original idea. But still...

I also don't believe this is real since there are too many of these floating around. My grandpa was such a devout Catholic that he was the type who went to church daily, and would have supported disowning someone who was gay. My grandma is still a devout Catholic, and is the only family member who doesn't know that a cousin of mine is gay, nor will she be told about his wedding now that he can get married.

My grandparents had an easier time with my sister coming out than my parents did.

Ehm how did the poster get access to the letter? I seriously doubt the daughter would have taken a photo of it and then published it on the internet for people to see.

The grandfather or grandson could have taken a photo of it prior to mailing it. Or maybe someone in the mother's house who doesn't agree with her actions.

The mom and her father are pretty much the same.

I agree. There are probably better ways to support the grandson (and hopefully pave the way to reconciliation) than disowning the daughter.

Hate to be off topic but has your grandmother ever asked why this cousin has not gotten married.

Remember "Family Ties"

One set of my grandparents are very liberal and accepting. My parents, however -- and especially my mom -- are not. :( I have 7 siblings, three of whom are still quite young and living at home. I've often wondered how my parents would handle one of us being gay and I'm sad to say that I don't think my mother would take it well at all. And our family was never even truly fundie but there are lots of aspects of fundie life with which I am very familiar because of my upbringing.

Ehm how did the poster get access to the letter? I seriously doubt the daughter would have taken a photo of it and then published it on the internet for people to see. That's what makes me think this is bull... Also the left-handed part. I realize that it's probably not an unique example, but that happen to be exactly what I wrote on the interwebs to my dear future potential gay son. Not that I really think my idea to say that being gay is not more of a choice than being left-handed is, is such an original idea. But still...

While I lean towards fake (who took the photo and posted it online?), left-handedness was considered wrong for quite a long period of time and teachers would often force lefties to write right-handed. It seems like a likely example for older folks to use for that reason.

While I lean towards fake (who took the photo and posted it online?), left-handedness was considered wrong for quite a long period of time and teachers would often force lefties to write right-handed. It seems like a likely example for older folks to use for that reason.

I can vouch for that! My sister was born left-handed (in 1959) but from the first day of first grade she was forced to use her right hand instead. She had to sit on her left hand during class, & once had her left arm tied to her side by the teacher. (our mom would do the same thing while sis was practicing letters at home). Then they progressed to slapping her hand with a ruler if she tried to use her left hand instead of her right. It was barbaric & abusive, but accepted (at last in our school) because of the idea lefties would have a more difficult life. I was born in 68. I'm right-handed, but I never saw any of my left-handed classmates forced to change. Nothing was said about lefties at all.

My oldest is left handed, & my grandmother & my mom kept telling me I should force her to change . No way in hell!

I can vouch for that! My sister was born left-handed (in 1959) but from the first day of first grade she was forced to use her right hand instead. She had to sit on her left hand during class, & once had her left arm tied to her side by the teacher. (our mom would do the same thing while sis was practicing letters at home). Then they progressed to slapping her hand with a ruler if she tried to use her left hand instead of her right. It was barbaric & abusive, but accepted (at last in our school) because of the idea lefties would have a more difficult life.

Wow -- I didn't know that anyone was still doing that stuff, that late. I was born left-handed in the early 1950s, and was never expected to change, let alone treated like that. Your poor sister!

My biggest problem was that scissors used in school and at home were decidedly right-handed. I can still remember exactly where the pain was, and how bad it was, from trying to use them with my left hand.

I'm left handed I was never forced to changed. Granted I was also born in 1980. I had a friend growing up who was left handed. This friend had aunts who were also left handed & they were forced to change.

OT but links to the whole left-handed thing. My grandma was a primary school teacher and was also left handed. She once told her year one (I think!) class to "do exactly as I do" and subsequently the entire class wrote with their left hand :lol:

Archived