IGNORED

School in Scotland employs fundies, head teachers fired

ladyaudley

It was just the furthest away I could think of and the place where they'd reach the least people, like Burravoe Primary with its 12 pupils or Rousay Primary with 19 ;). Don't worry, I wouldn't wish them on anyone!

There's one on Arran with 9 kids right now. I got the impression they have been transferred to paper work jobs. The problem with sacking them seems to relate to the fact they had these people in the school in a voluntary capacity. If they had employed them and then this book had been passed out they could have been sacked I believe.

Huh, UCC is a pretty progressive church (unless it's not so much abroad)? I wonder if those teachers just didn't vet the materials all that well.

Anyways, they weren't going to get far...don't they know the religion of choice in Glasgow is football? :lol:

Huh, UCC is a pretty progressive church (unless it's not so much abroad)? I wonder if those teachers just didn't vet the materials all that well.

Anyways, they weren't going to get far...don't they know the religion of choice in Glasgow is football? :lol:

That :lol: Also unless you follow King Billy or are a Pape, that there is some new fangled made up religion. Muslim or Jew is fine too. It could just be the fact that any type of soul winning \ proselytising is going to get a HUGE side eye here :lol:

P&C I would question though, how progressive a church is that questions evolution. That's just a big no no legally in education here.

That :lol: Also unless you follow King Billy or are a Pape, that there is some new fangled made up religion. Muslim or Jew is fine too. It could just be the fact that any type of soul winning \ proselytising is going to get a HUGE side eye here :lol:

P&C I would question though, how progressive a church is that questions evolution. That's just a big no no legally in education here.

I do too. I'm just saying in the US the UCC church is very progressive. The ones my family/friends attend are LGBT friendly and pro-women, and this is in Midwest. I'm wondering if either A) The teachers/church purchased those materials and didn't vet them all that well to see it was anti-evolution or B) the UCC church in the UK is far more conservative than it is in the US.

Well, DH is a loyal follower of King Billy...I think that is the closest thing to religion he has. Dammit, he even got himself a banjo last week and is determined to learn how to play Cripple Creek. Only problem is, he hasn't tuned the banjo yet and it's grating on my ears :pull-hair: Thankfully the music shop down the streets employs someone who gives banjo lessons so DH is getting an early Xmas present lol.

ETA photo of DH meeting his personal Jesus. Please note T-Shirt of his other personal God, Mike Scott of The Waterboys:

post-1800-1445199818781_thumb.jpg

Which Church of Christ are they? One article I read sounded more like Disciples of Christ, but that wouldn't fit with fundie anti-evolution very well.

I think they're the US-based Church of Christ , not the Disciples of Christ or UCC (United Church of Christ). The Church of Christ tends to be fairly conservative though that may vary by congregation.

The founder of the Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ was Alexander Campbell whose ancestors hailed from around Glasgow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

I think they're the US-based Church of Christ , not the Disciples of Christ or UCC (United Church of Christ). The Church of Christ tends to be fairly conservative though that may vary by congregation.

The founder of the Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ was Alexander Campbell whose ancestors hailed from around Glasgow.

I wish they would quit picking names that sounded so similar to each other lol

I do too. I'm just saying in the US the UCC church is very progressive. The ones my family/friends attend are LGBT friendly and pro-women, and this is in Midwest. I'm wondering if either A) The teachers/church purchased those materials and didn't vet them all that well to see it was anti-evolution or B) the UCC church in the UK is far more conservative than it is in the US.

Well, DH is a loyal follower of King Billy...I think that is the closest thing to religion he has. Dammit, he even got himself a banjo last week and is determined to learn how to play Cripple Creek. Only problem is, he hasn't tuned the banjo yet and it's grating on my ears :pull-hair: Thankfully the music shop down the streets employs someone who gives banjo lessons so DH is getting an early Xmas present lol.

ETA photo of DH meeting his personal Jesus. Please note T-Shirt of his other personal God, Mike Scott of The Waterboys:

OMG that is SO brilliant!

Billy is the true KIng :lol:

Ask your DH if he remembers the one where Billy discusses the collective OHHHHHHHHHHHH at a football park and God looks down and says ...FUCK it must have been close :lol:

I Wish a Was a Fisherman..too btw :)

I swear sometimes we need to just kill our ancestors :lol:

I wish they would quit picking names that sounded so similar to each other lol

The Disciples split off from the Church of Christ in the 1800s over doctrinal issues, I believe. The Church of Christ is mostly opposed to instrumental music in worship and tends to be more conservative. The Disciples are more liberal. Both are congregational in governance and the Church of Christ used to not care about millennialism. Both churches are fairly strong in the mid-South and Texas. If you see a church labelling itself XYZ Christian Church, it is likely a Disciples church.

The United Church of Christ was formed by the merging of the Congregationalist and Evangelical and Reformed Churches in 1957.

This from the Torygraph made me giggle.

The investigation was launched following complaints by parents after children took home two creationist books, How Do You Know God is Real?, and Exposing the Myth of Evolution, which they had been given at assembly.

Mrs MacKenzie defended the decision to give the books to pupils in a letter, saying: “While I appreciate that not every family in our school are practising Christians, I was only too happy to accept this generous gift on your behalf. I hope you will all accept it in the spirit with which it was offered.â€

How on earth did she think that parents were going to be OK with that? Creationism isn't exactly mainstream in the UK. If my kids brought that back from school I'd do my nut :lol:

I wonder of the Church of Christ group involved are this mob - disciplestoday.org. Very conservative, very evangelical group and were banned from my college campus. I worked with one of their followers. Supernice guy but he had to read the Bible for 3 hours a day IIRC and it was clear they ruled his life.

Archived