IGNORED

Keeeeep talking, Duck Dynasty, keep talking

MamaJunebug

As much as I loved Si, I haven't watched since Willy and his wife went to a dinner at the White House as guests of Pat Robertson. That just turned me off. My RL BF loves them, even though I told her about the Robertson thing, and posts all kinds of Robertson related stuff on FB. I love her, so I overlook it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As much as I loved Si, I haven't watched since Willy and his wife went to a dinner at the White House as guests of Pat Robertson. That just turned me off. My RL BF loves them, even though I told her about the Robertson thing, and posts all kinds of Robertson related stuff on FB. I love her, so I overlook it.

This makes me go "whaaaaat?" on two counts. First being why/how did Pat Robertson get invited to the White House and even these guys must know he's bananas.

These guys are so skanky I can't stand to see them. I do not understand the appeal AT ALL, but my Facebook friends are constantly posting about them. Gah. Disgusting inside and out.

It's a "reality" show (in fact, heavily scripted) about a family from West Monroe, Louisiana, who makes Duck Commander duck calls. Their shtick is their beards - they grow amazingly luscious, and all the males in the family doing this simultaneously gives them a distinctive look. Their show is about 15 percent about their business, 35 percent about their hijinks (one episode was a donut-eating contest), and 50 percent about their faith and how it sustains them. Their faith, however, is just standard conservative Baptist drivel typical of the area that they live in. It's not special or unusual in any way, and while the show portrays them as rednecks only interested in hunting in fishing, the reality is that they all live in very nice homes and were very respected and politically connected before the show. Fundies are into them because they're so vocal about Jesus, of course, but as has been pointed out here in this thread and in other places, they're really quite liberal for fundies (no modesty, pretty much at all). If you're from my area, then they're popular at least in part for just being from our area.

ok thanks for the answer, only i still not understand where cames the duck thing in the name of the show(what Duck Commander duck calls means? )so the show is something like honey boo boo but with a less interesting family

If I'm going to watch rednecks on reality television, I choose either Honey Boo Boo or Alaska: the Last Frontier (which happens to be about Jewel's family, though she's not mentioned).

If I'm going to watch rednecks on reality television, I choose either Honey Boo Boo or Alaska: the Last Frontier (which happens to be about Jewel's family, though she's not mentioned).

Which family is Jewels? I enjoy Alaska the Last Frontier. I also like Life Below Zero and have had some email correspondence with Kathy who owns the Kavik Resort Complex. She's in her 50's and lives up there by herself providing a place to stay for hunters and hikers.

Back on topic:

I can't stand Duck Dynasty. Wasn't one of the guys a star quarterback at LSU right before Terry Bradshaw. The aw-shucks persona seems to appeal to my conservative friends, but not to me.

"Redneck Kardashians" - love it! Would that be a Saint Louis station? I'll give a listen.

Yes, oh yes, Christian Day at Busch. I stayed so far away from that, I can't tell you. And it vexed me, because IIRC it was against a good team and I am a Christian ... but knowing Willie was coming? No.

I can't remember which station - I've got 3 pre-set in the car and surf back and forth. It was from the Columbia/Jefferson City/Moberly area somewhere. It may have been the same one that was talking about modified TTC a week or two ago - someone suggested sweet potato tots, among other things. I need to try those; sweet potato fries are yum.

Oh, Diana - duck calls are little contraptions you use when duck hunting, to make noises like a duck, and trick the real ducks into coming close enough to shoot them. I think duck calls are small and fit in your mouth under your tongue, and you make the noises with your mouth. But I've never hunted anything, so I don't have a clue on that. I guess the Duck guys have been making duck calls for a while now; one brother-in-law at least uses them. (I know a tiny bit about turkey calls, but that's it. If I were to hunt anything right now it would be the damn squirrels living in our eaves and chewing holes in my flower pots, the little bastards. But that's another rant.)

I don't watch this on regular basis though I have seen eps when changing the channel. I thought I liked them because unlike the Duggars, they at least seem more real.

Now I shall boycott this and wish for its end. No fucking way I support people like this.

ok thanks for the answer, only i still not understand where cames the duck thing in the name of the show(what Duck Commander duck calls means? )so the show is something like honey boo boo but with a less interesting family

A duck call is a device (imagine a wooden whistle in the shape of a round, thick, short stick) that is used by duck hunter's to create a fake duck sound with the intent to draw real ducks to them to shoot. The Duck Commander is a the name of a specific type of duck call.

There must have been something mentioned by one of the talk radio hosts yesterday or today because my mom called and asked me if I'd ever watching this show. She heard people were flocking to it in droves because of it's wholesome family values, etc.

I told her A) I don't watch faux reality TV B) hillbillies aren't my cup of tea no matter how folksy, cutesy or funny they are and C) there isn't a person or family in the world who should have more than a 1 hour special on TV or 1 full length documentary devoted to them and whatever it is that makes them "interesting". Nobody is SERIES interesting.

RandomTrivia, thanks for the radio info, but those stations would all be well outside my listening range. Good to know somebody in mid-Mo., no less, sees the Robertsons for what they are.

A little random trivia (lower case) before I get to my confession: the company is called Duck Commander because when someone saw how effective the calls were, he gushed to Phil, "You're not a duck caller, you're the duck commander!" The position of the duck on the logo reflects this somehow. I dunno. Haven't eaten duck and probably never will.

That said, confession: After the ballgame last night, I said to the roomie, I gotta see what they did tonight, and pulled up the DVR'ed episode. Even the roomie (aka The Spousal Unit) , who's a hunter, was negatively amused. The episode was basically

~ Grown men yelling at each other in a warehouse and in a real open-floor-plan house (reminded me of the poor man's Brown's Barn. Brown's Barn is the prefab two-story structure that Scott and Deborah Brown reside in and open to their disciples for marriage retreats, etc)

~ A grown man of God, so they say, being absolutely rude to an elderly lady with early stage dementia

~ Testicle jokes. Lots and lots of testicle jokes that even had the roomie sighing and looking meaningfully anywhere else.

Someone over on TWOP says the show jumped the shark last night. Dear me, I hope so.

One last thing, though, made me realize how little the roomie and I really talk. The very ending with the Original Prayer Du Jour ended with a long paean to Jesus. I grumbled, "They make me embarrassed to be a Christian" and roomie asked "Why?" with genuine surprise. I .... couldn't explain it then.

But I can, now: There's a difference between calling oneself a Christian, being all prissy and churchy .... and calling oneself a Christian, being who they are, sinning in spite of themselves, etc., and trusting in God to forgive so they can live life in service .... and calling oneself a Christian, going overboard to show the world "Hey!, Christians aren't pretentious! Lookie! We're lazy and loud! We're rude to old ladies, and we make gauche and silly jokes about testicles, we're just like all-y'alls, y'know??" :angry-banghead:

I'll try to tell him that if the subject comes up again. Doubt it will, though.

That was me, MamaJuneBug! Hi! Does Sir Rickman had any new movies out lately? I haven't noticed any. Did you see the Superman movie?

Henry Cavill has got it going on. And he's English! Stephanie Meyer had him in mind to play Edward in Twilight, but it was felt he was too

old by the time they casted. Anyway....

I'm not sure what the great appeal of DD is, but it is widely popular here. They did donate some

merchandise for one of our middle school (public school) PTA silent auction, which was nice of them. It was autographed merchandise.

I know I just said I didn't like the show, It's not that I don't like it--it's just boring to me. But I always appreciate those folks willing

to donate to the PTA stuff. So that's something not to despise about them.

starfish, agreed! Always good to hear about donations for the kiddoes.

Not sure what A.R. has upcoming. I just know he'll always and forever make me sign in his turn as Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility! *le sigh!!!*

This makes me go "whaaaaat?" on two counts. First being why/how did Pat Robertson get invited to the White House and even these guys must know he's bananas.

White House press dinner. Guess again about them thinking he's bananas. He's just up their alley, sadly. I'm thinking because Robertson has his little show that gives him a pulpit to spew ignorance, intolerance, what I think may be the first signs of dementia (San Francisco gays wearing rings that will cut you and give you HIV?!), and even gives him the opportunity to tell a woman who's husband cheated on her to get over it cause he's a helpless man and can't help tripping and landing with his penis in the wrong vagina cause he's, duh, a man. I'm guessing since he has a show he's a part of the press. Gag.

White House press dinner. Guess again about them thinking he's bananas. He's just up their alley, sadly. I'm thinking because Robertson has his little show that gives him a pulpit to spew ignorance, intolerance, what I think may be the first signs of dementia (San Francisco gays wearing rings that will cut you and give you HIV?!), and even gives him the opportunity to tell a woman who's husband cheated on her to get over it cause he's a helpless man and can't help tripping and landing with his penis in the wrong vagina cause he's, duh, a man. I'm guessing since he has a show he's a part of the press. Gag.

I find it hard to remember that some people actually listen to Pat Robertson. I normally tend to think of the 700 Club as a late night joke that we're all in on.

I find it hard to remember that some people actually listen to Pat Robertson. I normally tend to think of the 700 Club as a late night joke that we're all in on.

Wait, when exactly was it that Brother Pat was at a White House dinner? I can well believe he'd be invited by the Bush administration, but not the Obama. This must have been some years ago, am I correct in thinking this?

Oh, yes, the bolded is a blast, is it not? And it reminded me of a Pat Robertson bon mot of a year or so back: A man wrote asking if it was okay if he divorced his Alzheimer's-addled wife so he could go on with life (ie. remarry). Pat Robertson said abso-bloomin'-lutely it's okay! His reasoning: She's really not there mentally anymore, so she's not his wife and he has no obligation to her, go right ahead and divorce her and marry some gal who's in her right mind, etc.

Makes it very clear why Willie Robertson, defender of woman-ity and virtue, found it perfectly okay to sass, ridicule and mock the elderly, forgetful woman from his mother's church senior club.

Also why it was fine for Willie to snot "Shut up, Si!" at his uncle. What had the elder man done? Why, he'd simply reassured Willie that Willie's daughter Sadie would be fine in the big bad world of adolescence because Willie and Korie had raised Sadie right.

Ingratitude, arrogance, pride, patriarchialism - oh, yes, all the Duck Dynasty reality is really showing up. Keep it comin', producers. Show the hypocrisy. :dance:

Which family is Jewels? I enjoy Alaska the Last Frontier. I also like Life Below Zero and have had some email correspondence with Kathy who owns the Kavik Resort Complex. She's in her 50's and lives up there by herself providing a place to stay for hunters and hikers.

The (Jewel) Kilchers are on The Last Frontier. I enjoy that show ( :romance-heartbeating: Alaska), especially since they started giving more air time to the wives. Otto and his wife are so cute together. If they're secretly conservative Christians--please keep it off the show! To be fair, I probably wouldn't want to hear about any other religious/political ideology either. At least not to an annoying degree.

I can't see why anyone would be surprised that a bunch of rednecks from the souf (sic) are patriarchal, misogynist, antichoice, gun nut, Christian fundamentalists. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

How could you assume all this if you don't follow the show? Patriarchal. That is funny. More like whooped. The women call the shots. They're not fundies either. Fundie boys don't run off to watch girls in bikinis on the beach. They also don't make ball jokes. Si's Gonad Emporium from last night's episode still has me laughing. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. But don't assume based on the fact that they're Christians. A Christian is simply a follower of Christ. Elvis and JFK, both who had bad boy sides, were Christians too. Not all Christians are fundies. This thread is as bad as the Christians who are up in arms over last night's episode. They expect the episodes to line up to 700 Club standards. Mention Jesus on a show and everyone has something to say.

The (Jewel) Kilchers are on The Last Frontier. I enjoy that show ( :romance-heartbeating: Alaska), especially since they started giving more air time to the wives. Otto and his wife are so cute together. If they're secretly conservative Christians--please keep it off the show! To be fair, I probably wouldn't want to hear about any other religious/political ideology either. At least not to an annoying degree.

Ah gotcha. They haven't talked about religion in any of the shows I've watched. It's not the easiest life but they seem to enjoy living that way.

And I have to correct myself, it's not Kathy, it's Sue who bought the Kavik Camp and is running it by herself now.

Makes it very clear why Willie Robertson, defender of woman-ity and virtue, found it perfectly okay to sass, ridicule and mock the elderly, forgetful woman from his mother's church senior club.:

It's a tv show. TV isn't real. The show is scripted. They were all acting, including the "forgetful" woman.

It's a tv show. TV isn't real. The show is scripted. They were all acting, including the "forgetful" woman.

I get that, theologygeek. Trust me on that one.

If this show is about showing the goodness of the godly lifestyle, then why would it include meanness toward the weak? Why would Willie permit himself to utter the line, "Shut up, Si!" after his uncle's been as cogent and comforting, even encouraging, as he's ever been?

It's hypocrisy. It's saying, "We are good, hard-working, incredibly successful folk who are Christian, and we insist on calling on J.C. in the ending prayer and we really really really want TPTB to leave those words in."

And then it's showing them acting mean and contemptuous, without any reproof/reproach. It's saying, "Proclaim your faith and goodness but treat people as disdainfully as you choose if they're not up to your economic status, strength or intellectual level."

I just wish they'd leave all the religion out of it. Then it would be a richer Honey Boo Boo and we wouldn't have to hear Phil's verbal smiting of "some woman who wants to pull her baby out piece by piece" [paraphrased]

No empathy, sorrow or pity, no attempt to understand *why* "some woman" would want to do that. As they say, I can't with this crew.

I get that, theologygeek. Trust me on that one.

If this show is about showing the goodness of the godly lifestyle, then why would it include meanness toward the weak? Why would Willie permit himself to utter the line, "Shut up, Si!" after his uncle's been as cogent and comforting, even encouraging, as he's ever been?

It's hypocrisy. It's saying, "We are good, hard-working, incredibly successful folk who are Christian, and we insist on calling on J.C. in the ending prayer and we really really really want TPTB to leave those words in."

And then it's showing them acting mean and contemptuous, without any reproof/reproach. It's saying, "Proclaim your faith and goodness but treat people as disdainfully as you choose if they're not up to your economic status, strength or intellectual level."

But what I bolded is not what the show is about. It's what some viewers have turned it into. It was never intended to be a show about the godly lifestyle. It is a show about millionaire duck hunters who would rather get into antics than work. The show represents the majority of people around the world. They're normal people. They play sports, the girls dress revealing sometimes, they get rowdy, sarcastic, off color, and vulgar at times. This show is a representation of the majority which is why it's so popular. They may proclaim their faith but they don't proclaim their goodness on the show. Willie is an ass on the show. The tv show and real life are separate topics. Just because they pray and mention God on the show doesn't mean it's supposed to be a godly show. I'm a proud Jesus lover who swears like a sailor and believes in gay marriage. If that makes me a hypocrite, then whatever. Not my problem who thinks that because I really don't care.

Archived