IGNORED

Keeeeep talking, Duck Dynasty, keep talking

MamaJunebug

But what I bolded is not what the show is about. It's what some viewers have turned it into. It was never intended to be a show about the godly lifestyle. It is a show about millionaire duck hunters who would rather get into antics than work. The show represents the majority of people around the world. They're normal people. They play sports, the girls dress revealing sometimes, they get rowdy, sarcastic, off color, and vulgar at times. This show is a representation of the majority which is why it's so popular. They may proclaim their faith but they don't proclaim their goodness on the show. Willie is an ass on the show. The tv show and real life are separate topics. Just because they pray and mention God on the show doesn't mean it's supposed to be a godly show.

theologygeek, I debate what I've bolded.

The show was okayed by the family on the condition that the endings would be the family at prayer while Willie voices over some valuable lesson learned. Definitely a show about folks who have god in their lives, ie, a godly lifestyle.

Not sure how you define "rowdy," I agree with the "sarcastic" and as for "offcolor, and vulgar" I disagree entirely. The episode where Korie's bleeped after she falls up some bleacher stairs? She didn't cuss, the producers added the bleeps and Phil had a conniption fit, and producers were told never to bleep again, as the family do not curse nor swear.

"Vulgar"? Again, definitions can vary. I find the recent obsession with a poodle's "cods" and with taxidermied testicles to be too easy and boring. People are finding the testicle storyline hilarious and relatable, so I may be in the minority, have been there before.

My biggest point of disagreement with you is also the basis for my dislike of the Robertsons, and believe me, I've tried to like them: The tv show and real life are not separate topics, and the boldness of Phil's condemnation of choice (and very likely his condemnation of marriage equality) makes the whole show unpalatable to me.

Does rejection of choice and marriage equality also represent the majority of people around the world? If so, we're screwed, royally, dynastically and forever on this earth.

The show is giving a huge platform to people whose beliefs and opinions and prejudices are - to my mind - extremely dangerous and detrimental to women and men everywhere. I would like to see its popularity plummet as their views become more widely known.

It's late here and I don't have any other closing statement.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't watch this show, thank FSM, but the reason I don't is because everything I heard about it was related to god and praying and stuff like that. And, FWIW, here is something from wikipedia about one of them. (yeah, I know, wikipedia):

"Alan Robertson is Phil and Kay's eldest son. Originally he left the family business to become a preacher, but he left this profession to rejoin his family both doing public relations at Duck Commander and appearing on the show since season four; he wanted to join the show to spread the Word of God to more people. Alan is the only beardless male in the family.[24]"

Like I said, I don't watch this show, so I don't know how often this guy is on, but it directly says he is on the show to spread the word of god.

I never knew before what their last name was....are they related to bat shit crazy Pat Robertson? That, to me, is enough to make them someone I wouldn't want to watch. If the kids are up late watching something on ABC Family (gotta love Harry Potter marathons), they think I'M bat shit crazy when I flip out for the remote when it's over so they aren't scarred by 1 second of the 700 Club.

Which family is Jewels? I enjoy Alaska the Last Frontier. I also like Life Below Zero and have had some email correspondence with Kathy who owns the Kavik Resort Complex. She's in her 50's and lives up there by herself providing a place to stay for hunters and hikers.

Back on topic:

I can't stand Duck Dynasty. Wasn't one of the guys a star quarterback at LSU right before Terry Bradshaw. The aw-shucks persona seems to appeal to my conservative friends, but not to me.

Atz Kilcher is Jewel's father. Not sure why they don't mention it on the show. They're also ex-Mormons, for what it's worth. They stopped going to church when Jewel was a child.

I hadn't hear of Life Below Zero but will check it out!

I don't watch this show, thank FSM, but the reason I don't is because everything I heard about it was related to god and praying and stuff like that. And, FWIW, here is something from wikipedia about one of them. (yeah, I know, wikipedia):

"Alan Robertson is Phil and Kay's eldest son. Originally he left the family business to become a preacher, but he left this profession to rejoin his family both doing public relations at Duck Commander and appearing on the show since season four; he wanted to join the show to spread the Word of God to more people. Alan is the only beardless male in the family.[24]"

Like I said, I don't watch this show, so I don't know how often this guy is on, but it directly says he is on the show to spread the word of god.

I never knew before what their last name was....are they related to bat shit crazy Pat Robertson? That, to me, is enough to make them someone I wouldn't want to watch. If the kids are up late watching something on ABC Family (gotta love Harry Potter marathons), they think I'M bat shit crazy when I flip out for the remote when it's over so they aren't scarred by 1 second of the 700 Club.

Thanks for the chapter & verse (as it were) about Alan and evangelism, paganhomeschooler.

If these Robertsons are related to Pat, they're keeping it quiet. And they know who they're related to. Not long ago Jase posted a few answers to FAQs on Facebook, one of which was, "If you're a Robertson and we haven't met you yet, there's really no chance we're related." So they know their lineage. But I just said that, didn't I? :whistle: Blame it on the weather, it's finally nice in the mid-continent!!!! ;)

lol Nice change from the 95 degree heat, right? My mom has her heater on. I've got the windows open and am enoying the cool, fresh air. (Thankfully, Duck Dynasty-less. lol)

I know one of my bible banger friends on FB does nothing but post things about DD being such good, godfearing, Christian, values, blah, blah, blah people. If I never see another Uncle Si meme again, I'll be a happy lady.

My biggest point of disagreement with you is also the basis for my dislike of the Robertsons, and believe me, I've tried to like them: The tv show and real life are not separate topics, and the boldness of Phil's condemnation of choice (and very likely his condemnation of marriage equality) makes the whole show unpalatable to me.

It's interesting to me how a scripted comedy is taken so seriously. The bible thumping Christians are pissed that the last episode was too vulgar for their family and it wasn't up to 700 Club standards. Some other Christians think they are being hypocritical. While others are not happy because of the stand that the family takes on certain issues. Who cares what an actor thinks? The show is not real life. People are turning it into more than it is because of their expectations of what a reality show is supposed to be. The actors don't even make duck calls any more. There are workers in the next room who are really working. It's just a comedy that's half truth, half fiction. If you think it's funny, enjoy it. If you don't, then don't watch it. This is a good summary of how I feel. "But A&E is not looking for a religious show. “The show is not about their beliefs,†Mr. McKillop said, with emphasis. Mr. Robertson generally agrees. He says he has had to remind his father that he is not “Pat Robertson — and this is not the ‘700 Club.’ It’s a comedy show.†Mr. Robertson added, “If you find something attractive about our family, how we stay together and eat dinner together and laugh and have fun, you may want to keep some of these principles in mind. We’re Christians, that’s part of the package. But if that doesn’t turn you on, fine. If you just want to laugh at it, that’s O.K.†http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/busin ... d=all&_r=0

The show is not something I'd watch, but I've seen a lot of it, and aside from the themes that I just don't like which come down to personal taste, the worst part of the show in the past has always been Phil. He has a barely-suppressed rage persona, he's passive aggressive, and what I hate most is that, onscreen anyway, he seems to barely tolerate his girl grandchildren and all things girly. He seems to reluctantly allow them to live when they learn to shoot things.

Like others have said, they do remind me of a lot of the cultivated Southerners who claim to have grown up on squirrel brains but also revel in the yuppie lifestyle they've stepped into from Ole Miss or LSU or whatever other school they went to. It's kind of a masterful charade. I also don't think their brand of Christianity is especially unusual--it's just the normal cultural Christianity/Churchianity that's in the tap water. Jesus, pot lucks, tanning salons and pedicures for the right look, lunch at a chain restaurant after church, that sort of thing.

I am also annoyed because for all their 'Murica! veneer and emphasis on how they are a local, family-owned business, all the Duck Dynasty branded garbage in truck stops and bookstores across the country were made in China.

I am also annoyed because for all their 'Murica! veneer and emphasis on how they are a local, family-owned business, all the Duck Dynasty branded garbage in truck stops and bookstores across the country were made in China.

This I can't argue with. Walmart is carrying all their wares and the products are made in China. It would have been nice if they insisted that their products were made in the US.

The thing that bugs me is how people love them for their antics and seeming lack of education. They are all very well-educated. There are very few adults on that show that don't have at least a four-year degree, uncle si included.

I watched the show a few times and thought it was funny, but then a friend on FB gushed about how she was going to a shindig where she was going to get to meet them, and it turned out to be a dinner to raise money for a crisis pregnancy center. :(

Most of the people I know who watch the show went to college and are not in danger of poverty, and even if they aren't as well politically connected or quite as wealthy they have pretty close lifestyles to the Duck Dynasty people. They spent their frat years in polo shirts and now they grow out their beards for fun sometimes because they're high enough in their jobs to get away with it, and they go duck hunting and drive trucks. I can see how the "Aw, shucks!"-ing is hypocritical but it's performed by much of their fan base as well so I don't think it phases most of them.

I just can't get past their political beliefs enough to like them.

Jase came to my town yesterday to speak about his faith. The event was held at the towns minir league baseball stadiumand general admission was $35.

35 bucks to sit in his royal presence and hear him speak. If you want an autograph, why that's only $200. Not a typo, it was $200. Ridiculous!

Jase came to my town yesterday to speak about his faith. The event was held at the towns minir league baseball stadiumand general admission was $35.

35 bucks to sit in his royal presence and hear him speak. If you want an autograph, why that's only $200. Not a typo, it was $200. Ridiculous!

No different from a meet and greet. Some celebs charge for autographs at meet and greets. I think my daughter's cost more than that for a Glee meet and greet.

Whoa! My ex-father-in-law got his start in that church back in the early 80s. I knew the name sounded familiar.

Meet and greets i understand, having met dozens of actual stars from movies and tv series, but $200 is way over the top. Way, WAY over for who he is.

Meet and greets i understand, having met dozens of actual stars from movies and tv series, but $200 is way over the top. Way, WAY over for who he is.

Maybe it's a ham-fisted way of minimizing the number of autographs he signs. He evidently doesn't need the money, so what the heck, set the charge way high.

It's interesting that so many on TWOP are saying the show's gotten stale, overscripted ... one person claims that TPTB have added a minute to the showtime so that anybody setting the DVR doesn't get the prayer at the end. Good gravy, now there are conspiracy theories! Although the person who observed the extra-minute/no-prayer thing was happy about it.

A TWOPer pointed out another hypocrisy: "Miss Kay is getting to look more and more like the yuppie women Phil supposedly despises," the TWOPer observed. Kay and I are of the same general age and I have to admit that if all the stars aligned and I found a physician I trusted, I might have some work done. But part of the appeal for me in watching the first season (in reruns) was that the matriarch was entirely relatable, even as the daughters-in-law were reed-thin and nearly wrinkle-free.

It would be interesting to know how all the cosmetic proceduring is affecting the show's popularity. If it even is.

It's interesting that so many on TWOP are saying the show's gotten stale, overscripted ... one person claims that TPTB have added a minute to the showtime so that anybody setting the DVR doesn't get the prayer at the end. Good gravy, now there are conspiracy theories! Although the person who observed the extra-minute/no-prayer thing was happy about it.

Re: the conspiracy theories: My in-law with the DD shirt was claiming that there were complaint/boycott letters being sent to the network, from people angry that a religious family was on tv. Persecution!!11!! By the atheists and liberals!!!!111!1!1 I kind of doubt that - there are so many religious channels on cable/satellite, another semi-religious show is no big deal. And, honestly, there are people out there who would write complaint letters about anything - the sky is blue, whatever. Personally, if it's in any way true, my money is on manufactured drama for publicity, a la Kirk Cameron and his "Facebook blocked my movie ads" schtick.

Haven't checked with anybody else (TWOP, e.g.) yet, but having watched exactly 3 minutes of the 18 September episode, I'd be very surprised if DD hasn't jumped the gator(shark). First 90 seconds was the guys in the "duck call room" making whale sounds. Not entertaining.

Next 30-60 seconds was the guys complaining that there was rotted meat in the freezer outside the duck call room door. I glanced up to see one of them with arm-length plastic gloves to begin removing the stinky meat and threatening to vom. I left the room to do something important, like, ohIdunno, blow my nose.

Anyway, not glued-to-the-screen viewing material for me. Returned to see an oral surgeon pulling wads of bloody gauze out of a kid's mouth and Willie and Korie watching, with Willie promising to vom. Korie followed him out of the operating room.

I followed my common sense to the remote and turned the stupid thing off.

One can only hope others do the same, but given the numbers of ads for DUCK DYNASTY CRAP AT WAL-MART I doubt it will happen soon.

At least some of the viewers in the great, undecided middle might connect this jackassery with the family's politics and decide they don't want anything to do with either. One can only...oh, yeah, I said that already. :wink-penguin:

So the Robertson's were the guests of CBN along with a DWTS and a Food Network celeb. Guess CBN (founded by Robertson) comes close enough to an actual news org to gain attendance....

So the Robertson's were the guests of CBN along with a DWTS and a Food Network celeb. Guess CBN (founded by Robertson) comes close enough to an actual news org to gain attendance....

As someone pointed out after I snarked on Willie for attending the event half-camo-clad, it's not a White House event so much as a party put on by the WH press corps. DC's the party capital of the free world, and any pretense the event ever had as an official, classy gathering has long gone the way of another networking, backslapping meet-and-greet, see-and-be-seen.

So it's more about celebrity-gathering at this point, than about news-gathering. At least that's the impression I got.

Haven't checked with anybody else (TWOP, e.g.) yet, but having watched exactly 3 minutes of the 18 September episode, I'd be very surprised if DD hasn't jumped the gator(shark). First 90 seconds was the guys in the "duck call room" making whale sounds. Not entertaining.

Next 30-60 seconds was the guys complaining that there was rotted meat in the freezer outside the duck call room door. I glanced up to see one of them with arm-length plastic gloves to begin removing the stinky meat and threatening to vom. I left the room to do something important, like, ohIdunno, blow my nose.

Anyway, not glued-to-the-screen viewing material for me. Returned to see an oral surgeon pulling wads of bloody gauze out of a kid's mouth and Willie and Korie watching, with Willie promising to vom. Korie followed him out of the operating room.

I followed my common sense to the remote and turned the stupid thing off.

One can only hope others do the same, but given the numbers of ads for DUCK DYNASTY CRAP AT WAL-MART I doubt it will happen soon.

At least some of the viewers in the great, undecided middle might connect this jackassery with the family's politics and decide they don't want anything to do with either. One can only...oh, yeah, I said that already. :wink-penguin:

I saw one promo ad for that episode, which didn't entice me to watch. Dentist visit, rotten meat, yay. Some woman - mother of the dental patient? - was really excited to see her kid(s) get all goofy from the pain meds, and I believe she was planning to get camera video of it. Duggar deja vu. And from the brief shot of the deep freezer, it looked like a big slab of ribs or something large got tossed in with no plastic or freezer paper, but I didn't rewind to make sure.

I've got better things to torture my brain cells with. Even Sharknado was more entertaining than rotten meat and dentist visits.

I have watched a grand total of one episode of this show when my extended family was playing nice and visiting the week of my grandfather's funeral. It was painfully boring. I really don't understand the literal obsession people have with the show. It's like the Duggars; what could possibly happen that would be exciting on a show about squeaky clean holier-than-thou religious types? If it were missionaries risking life and limb to feed and heal Sudanese refugees while dodging gunfire and ambushes, I could get behind that show. But more or less normal Southern families doing more or less normal Southern things? That's less interesting than home movies.

I have watched a grand total of one episode of this show when my extended family was playing nice and visiting the week of my grandfather's funeral. It was painfully boring. I really don't understand the literal obsession people have with the show. It's like the Duggars; what could possibly happen that would be exciting on a show about squeaky clean holier-than-thou religious types? If it were missionaries risking life and limb to feed and heal Sudanese refugees while dodging gunfire and ambushes, I could get behind that show. But more or less normal Southern families doing more or less normal Southern things? That's less interesting than home movies.

It's certainly gotten to that IMHO. Initially, Si's offbeat observations were enjoyable, and I identified with Miss Kay's habit of adopting dogs quickly to keep from mourning too badly over the ones that had gone to the bridge. But on reflection a great deal of what I liked about the show was what the producers added. They'd key Si as "Si/Willie's uncle" until he started some rambling thing that had to do with his time in Vietnam, then the key was "Si/Willi'es uncle/Vietnam veteran" and for some reason that struck me as clever and wry. Anymore? Nah. Same old.

random trivia wrote:

Some woman - mother of the dental patient? - was really excited to see her kid(s) get all goofy from the pain meds, and I believe she was planning to get camera video of it. Duggar deja vu.

Oh my blessed dog, you're right about that! Ew squared. At the time, my thought was, "What? your kids aren't going to marry right out of high school, like all y'all do? They're going to have girlfriendS and boyfriendS along the way?"

I guess that's more prudent, now that the family's net worth is in the zillion$. Gotta be watching for golddiggers in Louisiana as well as Los Angeles.

Archived