IGNORED

Keeeeep talking, Duck Dynasty, keep talking

MamaJunebug

I am not going to be able to watch this show anymore. Yeah, it's cute; yeah, it's clean; yeah, it's fresh.

The more I hear from the pretentiously self-righteous cock-of-the-walk patriarch Phil Robertson, the more I hope others perceive the bile that this family's beliefs are built on:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/La ... pent-video

(Link intact, it's the Christian Science Monitor)

Article has several pull-out quotes from his infuriating "sermon" (more like a lecture) in which he bemoans "what we have come to", and alternates calling a pregnant woman "your mother" and "some woman [who wants to pull out her baby piece by piece]"

What's truly rich is that he's repented, y'all. It's in there, I'm not going back to find the exact words. He's repented, thus he's just pretty well darned nigh perfect, y'see; and now you (and I) need to repent.

Then there's the hypocrisy of Sadie Robertson's prom-dress line. I hold no ill will toward the teen for striking while the family name recognition is hot, but alluding to modesty (while not actually using the 'm' word) and showing half her chest, as well as a model's upper thigh (oh, and Uncle Si is right there in upskirt row) (that's not creepy at all) is all okay with her repented grandfather: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-sty ... ek-2013109 (link intact, it's US magazine)

Finally, it turns out Phil would've nixed the TV show entirely if he'd had the only vote.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/duck ... 8C11122402

(Link not broken, it's NBC tv) I wish he had done.

Because while I want them to keep talking so that people like us will realize what they're all about, under those unusually bushy beards and semi-twangy diction and "lookee, we're a family that loves each other, yay!" - what they're all about is No Choice in any matters. Love God or die. Carry that baby to term or .... um, hm .... they didn't think that out, did they?

Sad thing is, the half of the country who already subscribe to their catastrophic beliefs will be emboldened by their talk.

Keep talking, Robertsons? Or hush yore moufs? I really wish they'd go away, or go back to entertaining us with silly hijinks. Their politics and religion [sic] stink.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't watch Duck Dynasty. I hate those people as much as I hate the Duggars. What is is with all the fundies in disguise on reality tv lately?

Of course all of my old friends love it. One just read Si's book & has been posting about it.

God, guns, 'Muricer & hate.

My husband doesn't like to watch it, he basically said why would I want to watch a bunch of rednecks with too much money not doing anything except goofing off. I've watched a few episodes and Phil comes off like an ass at times. I think Kay has more power in the relationship then he would ever admit to though.

I didn't watch the show much but read the book. It provided a lot of background and made me get it a bit more about how the family is. I have to admit, they are a bit better than the Duggars, even if they are a bit hypocritical. I am no die hard fan but it's okay on the occasional basis, since it is obviously scripted or set up somehow (please, every show has some kind of setup nowadays). I admit, it isn't anything I'd stream on my netflix or buy on DVD though. The book was pretty good, though with some recipes in it and stuff from Kay- it is obvious the ladies have some power in the family at least...

sorry this is rambly, in a hurry to get the kid to school. :) At least I didn't leave a hour early like I did yesterday. Oops.

I saw at least two Duck Dynasty shirts at our last family dinner with the in-laws. I've never watched, don't plan to - but did laugh when a local radio DJ called them the redneck Kardashians. Although these guys do seem to be working at something for a basis behind their "celebrity" if that makes any sense (other than the "being famous because they're famous" thing a la Jersey Shore).

They're popular enough that one or more were the guests at the St Louis Cardinals "Christian Day" game this summer. (Which pretty much proves that Christians aren't being persecuted in the US, IMO.)

I saw bits and pieces of episodes (it used to come on both right before and after a show we watched, so we saw clips of both beginning and end) and it was so stupid. Basically it's my extended (redneck) family, but with money. I didn't realize they were fundies in disguise though.

All I know is, I can't wait for their fame to die off. I'm so tired of hearing about them. I don't care if they are happy, happy, happy.

The blog "Shakesville" aka "Shakespeare's Sister" had a pretty good post a while back comparing Duck Dynasty to "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo".

One of the points of the post was that Duck Dynasty is a patriarchy and HCHBB is a matriarchy. It was an interesting article.

Mostly, it was about HCHBB.

While I don't have anything against DD, it seems a little boring and stupid. I rarely watch tv, but when I do, it's not that. It's something

with Alan Rickman in it.

God, guns, 'Muricer & hate.

Ugh. That's about what I suspected. I've never watched even a minute of the show, and I never will. Not even sure what channel it's on? If it's TLC, they'll be running it into the ground ASAP. Did they do the Very Special Renewing of the Vows episode yet? The Watch Us Dumb Hicks Travel to U-ruppp episode?

It's sad when "the women aren't completely downtrodden" is a compliment.

I can't see why anyone would be surprised that a bunch of rednecks from the souf (sic) are patriarchal, misogynist, antichoice, gun nut, Christian fundamentalists. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

If you take a look at some older photos of the family, you'll see they're actually preppies hiding out with beards and seem to be significantly "dumbed" down for the show. As for the sermons etc, not surprising and scarily enough, not so fundie as much as religiously conservative; none of that would be out of place in a lively Baptist or non denominational church in Toronto, which is definitely not the south. Totally disagree with their points of view, but not surprised by them. I think one of the brothers not featured on the show is a pastor.

DD is an amusing show - have caught Phil's hunting show on occasion by accident (definitely they've taken a lot of the reality of hunting out of their new show)...I think he and Si rocked the beards first.

ETA - seems the pastor brother is joining the show, hoping to minister to more people, sheesh

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment ... -4-2013286

If you take a look at some older photos of the family, you'll see they're actually preppies hiding out with beards and seem to be significantly "dumbed" down for the show.

Er, did you mean preppers? Because I am finding it hard to imagine Muffy and Biff tossing out their Sperry Topsiders, cashmere scarves, and sweaters tied around their shoulders in favor of a redneck lifestyle.

Er, did you mean preppers? Because I am finding it hard to imagine Muffy and Biff tossing out their Sperry Topsiders, cashmere scarves, and sweaters tied around their shoulders in favor of a redneck lifestyle.

No, she definitely means preppies. Don't let the beards fool you, this is Monroe royalty. They were a politically connected family before the show. Their personas are acts.

Edit: At least to me, the best part about this family is the more they harp about Jesus, the less people will like them, other than their hardcore Jesus fans already.

Why can't fundies create their own fascist micro-nation? Wouldn't that be better for all? (Although, I would like to see how their government survives with no abortions allowed, no exceptions, guns fur everyone, and nobody has to pay taxes! :lol: )

Why can't fundies create their own fascist micro-nation? Wouldn't that be better for all? (Although, I would like to see how their government survives with no abortions allowed, no exceptions, guns fur everyone, and nobody has to pay taxes! :lol: )

They're trying. http://www.iiicitadel.com/

The Citadel is evolving as a planned community where residents are bound together by:

Patriotism

Pride in American Exceptionalism

Our proud history of Liberty as defined by our Founding Fathers, and

Physical preparedness to survive and prevail in the face of natural catastrophes — such as Hurricanes Sandy or Katrina — or man-made catastrophes such as a power grid failure or economic collapse.

The Citadel Community will house between 3,500 and 7,000 patriotic American families who agree that being prepared for the emergencies of life and being proficient with the American icon of Liberty — the Rifle — are prudent measures. There will be no HOA. There will be no recycling police and no local ordinance enforcers from City Hall.

Granted, they don't come right out and say they're for Fundamentalist Christians, but I'd be surprised if atheists were welcome. And they cite Thomas Jefferson repeatedly, and in my experience those who do so have little understanding of Jefferson's real beliefs.

can someone explain me what is this duck dynasty thing that all fundies are talking about lately? its a soap opera, a reality show, a documentary about ducks or what?? because at least the name sounds stupid

can someone explain me what is this duck dynasty thing that all fundies are talking about lately? its a soap opera, a reality show, a documentary about ducks or what?? because at least the name sounds stupid

It's a "reality" show (in fact, heavily scripted) about a family from West Monroe, Louisiana, who makes Duck Commander duck calls. Their shtick is their beards - they grow amazingly luscious, and all the males in the family doing this simultaneously gives them a distinctive look. Their show is about 15 percent about their business, 35 percent about their hijinks (one episode was a donut-eating contest), and 50 percent about their faith and how it sustains them. Their faith, however, is just standard conservative Baptist drivel typical of the area that they live in. It's not special or unusual in any way, and while the show portrays them as rednecks only interested in hunting in fishing, the reality is that they all live in very nice homes and were very respected and politically connected before the show. Fundies are into them because they're so vocal about Jesus, of course, but as has been pointed out here in this thread and in other places, they're really quite liberal for fundies (no modesty, pretty much at all). If you're from my area, then they're popular at least in part for just being from our area.

I don't watch the show but one of my hate-read blogs (Kelly's Korner) talked about DD once and I immediately got the feeling they must be "Good 'ol Christian Rednecks". Yuck.

My husband doesn't like to watch it, he basically said why would I want to watch a bunch of rednecks with too much money not doing anything except goofing off. I've watched a few episodes and Phil comes off like an ass at times. I think Kay has more power in the relationship then he would ever admit to though.

That "Proverbs 31 Woman" paddle in just about every shot in their kitchen amuses me. Kay kept the family afloat for quite a while when Phil was off cattin' and drankin' and who knows what else, and she continued, IIRC, to do so after he found religion and settled down to make duck calls. You bet she's a Pr.31 woman, involved in business and the financial and basic support of her family.

I saw at least two Duck Dynasty shirts at our last family dinner with the in-laws. I've never watched, don't plan to - but did laugh when a local radio DJ called them the redneck Kardashians. Although these guys do seem to be working at something for a basis behind their "celebrity" if that makes any sense (other than the "being famous because they're famous" thing a la Jersey Shore).

They're popular enough that one or more were the guests at the St Louis Cardinals "Christian Day" game this summer. (Which pretty much proves that Christians aren't being persecuted in the US, IMO.)

"Redneck Kardashians" - love it! Would that be a Saint Louis station? I'll give a listen.

Yes, oh yes, Christian Day at Busch. I stayed so far away from that, I can't tell you. And it vexed me, because IIRC it was against a good team and I am a Christian ... but knowing Willie was coming? No.

Ugh. That's about what I suspected. I've never watched even a minute of the show, and I never will. Not even sure what channel it's on? If it's TLC, they'll be running it into the ground ASAP. Did they do the Very Special Renewing of the Vows episode yet? The Watch Us Dumb Hicks Travel to U-ruppp episode?

It's sad when "the women aren't completely downtrodden" is a compliment.

Oh, yeah, the renewing of Phil & Kay's vows was the leadoff of the season. I decided to watch, against a previous to boycott it, because one of my sisters persuaded me that it was probably going to be amusing and indeed, it was.

That was before someone here at FJ posted about The Murder Church in Tennessee, where the uber-wealthy head pastor is a 60-something who served about 6 years in prison for brutally hacking a middle-aged woman to death when he was in his early 20s. His family were wealthy and got him out. Seems that he blows off his crime as "yeah, whatever, I'm forgiven, y'all" and Willie has guest-preached in TMC. Nope. I had to reconsider DD at that point.

And then an anti-choice friend (?) had the gall to post a meme of Phil's stinking "what has happened to us, we are not safe in our mother's womb!" on my FB page ... first time I'd heard of that particular lecture. I'm over the show, never mind that some have called me the female Uncle Si. I'll get my silly humor somewhere else.

I only know about the three things in the OP because Yahoo offered "Duck Dynasty" as a hot topic and I was hoping it had to do with the show's cancellation. NO such luck.

No, she definitely means preppies. Don't let the beards fool you, this is Monroe royalty. They were a politically connected family before the show. Their personas are acts.

Edit: At least to me, the best part about this family is the more they harp about Jesus, the less people will like them, other than their hardcore Jesus fans already.

And this is what infuriates me most, about them. As a liberal Christian, I hope that people will hear about the grace of God shown through Jesus - but not the Jesus of DD. That Jesus, I'm going to assume, never once introduced the Blessed Virgin as "the woman from whose loins I came" and He might or might not tell Phil and others who believe it's practically a sin to pray the Our Father or any other pre-written prayer - instead, they believe they are to compose their own prayers from their hearts and their minds and speak them with their lips: egocentrism, anybody?? - well, I kinda sorta think Jesus would've said, "First off, I've instructed you to pray this [the Our Father] way and second, I'm seeing more than a little pride in your insistence on wowing everybody with your heartfelt prayers."

OH, I know, I'm playing almost as fast and loose with WWJD as any of the DD twerps. They're all just anti-women dominionists in disguise, since disguises are easier to come by, the more money you have.

Thank you all for letting me vent through this. And to whoever posted about Alan Rickman movies, oh, yes! :dance:

I've never seen this show and don't plan on ever watching. I have so very little tv watching time available to me. I'm not going to waste it watching a bunch of rednecks embarrass themselves.

A lot of wealthier, more politically connected people in the south like to pretend they pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps. They put on and take off these cultural signifiers when it suits them. It's a subtle way to put your beliefs about race, class, gender roles, and religion out there without having to come out and say anything. Obviously, liking four-wheelers or whatever doesn't necessarily mean you're for, say, Jason Rapert's plan to introduce a bill that outlaws abortion at six weeks or against Little Rock's bussing plan to accomplish school desegregation, but most people there will make that assumption.

I keep in touch with men from high school who seem to be exclusively into hunting, church potlucks and four-wheelers. If you grew up down there you're guaranteed to have some kooky relatives, to have been to some evangelical churches, and have spent some time in rural areas, but they seem to be in denial about having grown up with essentially the same comforts and experiences that most privileged Americans our age have. I know two people under 40 who are wearing seersucker suits to work and playing like they grew up on a depression area farm or something! I get that there's probably not room in their public personae for the sweet potheads in big jeans who would drive all night to go to concerts with me, but it still makes me sad that they are suppressing their real experiences and memories to promote this facsimile of a life that absolutely didn't happen.

Archived