IGNORED

Most Offensive Theme Weddings

GeoBQn

This is today's list on Cracked. I feel like the entire human race must hang their head in shame over the stupidity on display.

cracked.com/article_20584_the-5-most-absurdly-offensive-theme-weddings-ever-planned.html

This is today's list on Cracked. I feel like the entire human race must hang their head in shame over the stupidity on display.

cracked.com/article_20584_the-5-most-absurdly-offensive-theme-weddings-ever-planned.html

I initially thought the Chinese/Nazi wedding was an MRA marrying his Asian mail-order bride.

I read that list yesterday and was introduced to a phrase I'd never heard before: Nazi Chic. Uh, WTF?? :evil-eye:

The Nazis did have snazzy uniforms, I'll give them that. Snazzy uniforms of evil. Other than that, this is utterly inexplicable. Perhaps explaining to those poor ignorant fools that the Nazis did to the Jews what the Japanese did to the Chinese in Manchuria, but more so, would help. Assuming they even know that pitiful amount of history, that is.

The Nazis did have snazzy uniforms, I'll give them that. Snazzy uniforms of evil. Other than that, this is utterly inexplicable. Perhaps explaining to those poor ignorant fools that the Nazis did to the Jews what the Japanese did to the Chinese in Manchuria, but more so, would help. Assuming they even know that pitiful amount of history, that is.

Didn't Hugo Boss design some Nazi uniforms? Anyway, all these people are seriously clueless and tacky beyond belief.

I feel like the aspects of the Hobo Wedding wouldn't have been offensive if they hadn't called it a Hobo wedding. Like, handkerchiefs instead of ties sounds pretty cute, quilts are always nice, and the bouquets look neat too. I'm sure they served everything out of mason jars too :roll:

A wedding they didn't mention, that I find pretty offensive (but not for cultural reasons): The guy who founded Napster had a multi-million dollar Lord of the Rings themed wedding in Redwood National Forest and destroyed parts of the forest and built without a permit.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ss/276521/

I didn't really know theme weddings were a thing! I would really like to get invited to a theme wedding now, though a non-offensive one, preferable! Why anyone would base their wedding theme around racism or nazis or a religion you're not part of is a completely mystery to me... I imagine many of their guests must have felt it was in bad taste--surely they got a lot of negative feedback?!

I didn't really know theme weddings were a thing! I would really like to get invited to a theme wedding now, though a non-offensive one, preferable! Why anyone would base their wedding theme around racism or nazis or a religion you're not part of is a completely mystery to me... I imagine many of their guests must have felt it was in bad taste--surely they got a lot of negative feedback?!

The woman who was my honor attendant (I refused to call anyone a "maid" or "matron"--in fact, informally we went with best woman and bride's women but the idea of that printed on the wedding program made our too traditional mothers cringe, so the program said "attendants" and "honor attendants") is obsessed with the notion of theme weddings. Hers was "Victorian Christmas" and was, honestly, really cheesy. She came up with a million ideas for mine including "British Literature" since I taught it at the time. I politely, much to her disappointment, told her the theme was "getting married without spending anyone's life savings".

The woman who was my honor attendant (I refused to call anyone a "maid" or "matron"--in fact, informally we went with best woman and bride's women but the idea of that printed on the wedding program made our too traditional mothers cringe, so the program said "attendants" and "honor attendants") is obsessed with the notion of theme weddings. Hers was "Victorian Christmas" and was, honestly, really cheesy. She came up with a million ideas for mine including "British Literature" since I taught it at the time. I politely, much to her disappointment, told her the theme was "getting married without spending anyone's life savings".

Victorian Christmas? That's like two themes in one! Now I'm hoping to get invited to a theme wedding some day, though I can't imagine any of my friends actually doing one.

My German colleagues seem to consider "American wedding" a theme. "Is it true that there are a whole bunch of bridesmaids, all wearing the same pink dress?" I've reinforced their stereotyping by bringing in photos of a row of bridesmaids including myself in pink dresses at two different weddings. (Germans usually just have one attendant or as they call them, "witness" each.)

I initially thought the Chinese/Nazi wedding was an MRA marrying his Asian mail-order bride.

I once found a website: A woman, who is half-german, half-asian - and who is a Nazi. :pull-hair:

am I a horrible person for thinking that the most offensive part of the "hobo themed wedding" was that it cost $15,000???

• 2 weeks later...

OT: Nowadays, young parents usually seem to have a "theme" picked out for their babies' rooms. Someone once asked me what theme I used for my baby's room (in 1978). I said, "Yellow."

I think yellow was popular because it was seen as gender neutral and people didn't know the sex of their baby back then. My nursery was a duckling theme with lots of yellow and I was born in '86.

I hated planning my wedding and I thought having a theme helped me organize all the stupid details and corral design motifs because there's so much wedding stuff out there that faced with a thousand decisions a million times forces brains to shut down. Even if you take budget ideas and go to Etsy for invitations and so on, there are a billion fonts and colors and wording and blah blah blah. My theme was 1930s related (for some personal reasons) and I didn't advertise it, although some people noticed. I also wasn't bound to it, and I didn't tell the guests what to wear. My in laws are big into medieval stuff and SCA, and I was disappointed that they didn't have a medieval wedding, just for my own entertainment.

So, I understand the impulse. I can even kind of understand benign ignorance (Jewish wedding, hobo wedding)--Jewish weddings are often portrayed so lovingly in films and they're just a dash exotic that it borders more on an aesthetic decision, almost. For some, I could see that having a Jewish wedding is just a step or two beyond having non-religious readings during the service, or finding ways to solve complicated family situations. I wonder more about the lives of the people who had the colonial Africa and Nazi weddings, and how they made these decisions, and if they happily ignored advice from people around them, or if they had enablers.

I hated planning my wedding and I thought having a theme helped me organize all the stupid details and corral design motifs because there's so much wedding stuff out there that faced with a thousand decisions a million times forces brains to shut down. Even if you take budget ideas and go to Etsy for invitations and so on, there are a billion fonts and colors and wording and blah blah blah. My theme was 1930s related (for some personal reasons) and I didn't advertise it, although some people noticed. I also wasn't bound to it, and I didn't tell the guests what to wear. My in laws are big into medieval stuff and SCA, and I was disappointed that they didn't have a medieval wedding, just for my own entertainment.

So, I understand the impulse. I can even kind of understand benign ignorance (Jewish wedding, hobo wedding)--Jewish weddings are often portrayed so lovingly in films and they're just a dash exotic that it borders more on an aesthetic decision, almost. For some, I could see that having a Jewish wedding is just a step or two beyond having non-religious readings during the service, or finding ways to solve complicated family situations. I wonder more about the lives of the people who had the colonial Africa and Nazi weddings, and how they made these decisions, and if they happily ignored advice from people around them, or if they had enablers.

I got to attend a medieval-themed wedding once. And it was done really nicely, not cheesey at all. The bride made her outfit herself. I think she probably also made the groom's outfit, since it had matching material. This was years and years ago now, so a lot of the details are fuzzy, but I think it was a Catholic ceremony because the bride wanted to be married in this one specific old medieval-styled church in our downtown area (and either the bride or groom was raised Catholic, so they had that "in" to use a Catholic church, as long as they had a Catholic ceremony). I forget what we ate at the reception, but I'm pretty sure we still had silverware, and the dancing was really fun. The couple were involved with SCA, so a lot of the guests were, too, and were wearing their own outfits and knew how to do the dances and showed those of us who weren't familiar.

I guess...how my.wedding theme was German, as I only had one attendant. (It was also freeze your ads.off as it was.outdoors and the.fog rolled in.) My mol wanted to know the theme of my first son's room and I told her "communism" . That stopped the question dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand how people have time (and money) to plan this kind of thing. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing with my money and time then painting and decorating a room for a baby who will never remember it. But then again, I don't have a lot of money.

And the weddings. So many things I'd rather do then pay thousands of dollars for a party/ceremony and a dress i'll wear once. I have things I need, like clothes for work and food to eat on a daily basis and rent and gas/petrol for my car.

And IF i had the thousands of dollars for a wedding, I'd rather buy a house, or invest it in something that will help me in retirement so I don't have to be obligated to other people.

We did the nursery in yellow so both of my kids could use it and a third if we have one. It has a nursery rhyme theme. We barely spent any money on it since my MIL made a nursery rhyme fabric crib skirt and valance for the window. I found old nursery rhyme pictures on ebay and framed them myself. They don't look too great though because I just used cheap frames. I wish I could have gone all out with it but there are so many expenses with having a baby that I wanted to keep it cheap. If we have a third child it will be their room as well.

Our wedding wasn't themed and I have never been to a very themed wedding. One friend had a bit of a Fall theme and my stepsister had a bit of a beach theme but nothing over the top. I think it would be fun to attend an over the top themed wedding but NOT a Nazi or hobo one. I really can't understand how anyone thought these would be a good idea.

I just don't understand how people have time (and money) to plan this kind of thing. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing with my money and time then painting and decorating a room for a baby who will never remember it. But then again, I don't have a lot of money.

And the weddings. So many things I'd rather do then pay thousands of dollars for a party/ceremony and a dress i'll wear once. I have things I need, like clothes for work and food to eat on a daily basis and rent and gas/petrol for my car.

And IF i had the thousands of dollars for a wedding, I'd rather buy a house, or invest it in something that will help me in retirement so I don't have to be obligated to other people.

The money spent on our wedding would not have been much of an investment. It would not have come close to the down payment on a house (unless we only wanted a one room house) and would only have bought us a 15 year old or so used car. You don't have to spend the much touted average of over $20,000. Ours was less than a quarter of that and everything looked nice and the guests were well fed. Of course, I've seen women on those buy a bridal gown shows spend more on a dress than we spent on the entire thing. And it was only four years ago.

When I visited Green Gables in PEI, I learned that Anne of Green Gables is a HUGELY popular wedding theme for some people. I'm seriously tempted. If only I'd inherited my mom's red hair...

Archived