IGNORED

Catholic Wedding Attire - laughworthy

Mela99

I sincerely hope the strapless wedding dress trend has gone away or at least diminished by the time I eventually get married because it seems like it's really hard to find anything that isn't strapless. If I'm going to pay too much money on a dress that I'll only wear once, I'm not about to buy something that I have to hike up every 3 seconds and looks like every other dress on the market. I already own a rather nice wedding dress (thrift store find, $15, came with a veil, wore it as a halloween costume) and it already has sleeves so I might even just go with that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My weddings were in 1973 and 1985, and both my gowns were long-sleeved (in June and May), and fairly representative of their times. The 1973 one was influenced by the popularity of the 1968 movie Romeo and Juliet, and the 1985 one was influenced by Fergie (the Duchess, not the Pea). A good thing, too--for a few years in the early '80s, so many gowns were influenced by Princess Diana's pouffy puffed-sleeved number with the nipped-in waist, a style that only looked good on size-zero 16-year-olds.

So what if it's an evening wedding, a formal black-tie affair? Many evening cocktail dresses are strapless.

Also I'm obsessed with Four Weddings, hope there's new episodes soon.

Since the subject has come up, here's what I'm wearing. I wanted lace, and the consultant said this was the laciest option. Didn't think much of it till I put it on and then went sorta speechless.

I'm adding embroidered cap sleeves. I'm really short, really tiny in the bust, but unfortunately inherited what my ma calls "the wide European shoulders". I don't think I could pull off strapless if I wanted to.

9yp3344_davids_bridal_wedding_dress_primary.jpg

Since the subject has come up, here's what I'm wearing. I wanted lace, and the consultant said this was the laciest option. Didn't think much of it till I put it on and then went sorta speechless.

I'm adding embroidered cap sleeves. I'm really short, really tiny in the bust, but unfortunately inherited what my ma calls "the wide European shoulders". I don't think I could pull off strapless if I wanted to.

It is a lovely dress (for a ball) and so are you, though I am glad you are adding some sort of sleeves.

But what on earth does your mum mean with 'European wide shoulders'?

That's a beautiful gown. And the model (is that you?) is what I would consider of normal healthy female proportions (by my standards) but the way these strapless dresses are made, they cut right into the underarm and are most of the time simply unflattering. Not to mention they look painful. And they have a life of their own when the bride sits down -- they ride up and give anyone standing above the bride a free peep show down her bosom should they choose to go there.

Yes a white tie or a black tie affair isn't the same as a wedding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tie

There are most certainly many white and black tie weddings out there, and the Wikis you posted both mention wedding several times - "In the United States white tie has been replaced by black tie for many formal occasions such as evening weddings...It is still occasionally seen at very formal weddings", "In Finland and Sweden many weddings are white tie", "It is worn to ceremonial occasions such as state dinners in some countries, as well as to very formal balls and evening weddings".

The terms white tie and black tie simply refer to the manner of dress, and those Wikis refer to the "Western dress codes" of formal wear (including white tie, black tie), semi-formal, informal, smart casual, business casual, casual, and active/athletic attire. A wedding is whatever dress code/style it is given by those hosting it, and certainly can be any of those. It's probably also cultural and class-based, I know my dad was shocked when I said he wouldn't be wearing a tux, versus a lot of people would be shocked at the idea that a man would wear a tux, or even a top hat and tails.

Nah, the model isn't me. It was the only good picture I could find of the dress itself.

I'm not sure what my mother means by the "European shoulders". I have the same shoulders/build as my grandmother and great aunt, both came over on the boat from Italy, so I think that's why she calls 'em "European shoulders." I think calling it "your grandmother's build" would make more sense, but I don't pretend to understand my mother.

Here's me in the dress, for anybody who is interested. With the added cap sleeves. That's my soon to be sister in law on the right.

Mind you, I won't look this way on my wedding day. I've lost 26 pounds since this picture, and am on my way to 50 :D

400374_10100592854891072_1716928213_n.jpg

Wow, beautiful! The dress is really flattering with the lace sweep, too. And it doesn't look like it digs into your armpits like so many of them do! Love the cap sleeves. You are going to be a beautiful bride!

Dress looks lovely.

I'm just glad that I was married 17 years ago, before strapless was the style. I have upper arm flab and big girls, so it hasn't been a flattering style on me since I was 20.

I didn't see anything that funny about the original article. Hated my own train, so I can understand huge trains being a distraction.

Nah, the model isn't me. It was the only good picture I could find of the dress itself.

I'm not sure what my mother means by the "European shoulders". I have the same shoulders/build as my grandmother and great aunt, both came over on the boat from Italy, so I think that's why she calls 'em "European shoulders." I think calling it "your grandmother's build" would make more sense, but I don't pretend to understand my mother.

Here's me in the dress, for anybody who is interested. With the added cap sleeves. That's my soon to be sister in law on the right.

Mind you, I won't look this way on my wedding day. I've lost 26 pounds since this picture, and am on my way to 50 :D

400374_10100592854891072_1716928213_n.jpg

O well that explains it :)

I love your dress and what you have done with the sleeves. Beautiful bride!

Archived