IGNORED

Fundies Lost at Sea - Sent Home by God - Merge

Carla Bruni

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't knock it.

Maybe more more of the stupid people will try it. End of silly religious nuts in the US.

Would be nice if they left their kids out of their stupidity though. OH wait either sea or land based they are still ruining the lives of their kids. Fuckwits.

DH found this story online so I had to stop by to make sure we'd gotten wind of it here already. His comment is that if they kept getting hit by storms, it sounded like someone did not like them very much. Per a link on google news, she gave birth on the boat. whoa:(

I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around this stupidity, but I really hope they lose custody of those kids. I have bronchitis and recently had my wisdoms removed, for which I'm only taking panadol because I'm breastfeeding. So in my haze of pain and illness, my internal monologue is a bit like this:

"They thought they could make it from san diego to Kiribati in a small boat, with little to no nautical experience/skills? Holy shit, the stupid is astounding."

"She gave birth on that boat? Wtf, take their kids away now."

"They don't want to live in the united states for religious reasons but allowed themselves to be taken care of by the US government. Nice one, guys."

"Why not save up for a flight? Would Kiribati allow them to emigrate?"

"Whoa, they are the same ages as my husband and me. That's what hard fundie living and sun exposure does to people, huh?"

I'm dying to know what the Embassy in Santiago thought when they got the call about this - how much swearing went down :D

Sorry, here is the link. I guess they were "parked" in a slip, but she gave birth on the boat. Dude, just buy some plane tickets.

sltrib.com/sltrib/world/56718322-68/family-gastonguay-ship-boat.html.csp

Funny how they didn't object to the government interfering by providing them with flights home. :roll:

!!!!!!!!!

Also, I did some fast research on this country. All bolded is taken from the lovely wikipedia.

1) Overcrowding has been a problem. In 1988 it was announced that 4,700 residents of the main island group would be resettled onto less-populated islands.

So they definitely need immigrants, specifically ones that don't have high-level skills to offer.

2) In 2002 Kiribati passed a controversial law enabling the government to shut down newspapers.

Please note the small government that does little to interfere with its people.

3) Kiribati is expected to be the first country to lose all its land territory to global climate change....in April 2013, President Tong began urging citizens to evacuate the islands and migrate elsewhere.

So, even if this family had been successful, they may have been required to board a ship again in the near future.

4) Kiribati is one of the world's poorest countries

5) The people of Kiribati speak an Oceanic language called "Gilbertese". Although English is also an official language, it is not used very often outside the island capital of Tarawa

I sincerely doubt they make Rossetta Stone Gillbertese or that this family tried to learn the language.

And most importantly:

6)Kiribati has airports.

Right back to Arizona?

If that wasn't a sign from God that they belong in the US, I don't know what is. Also, what are they referring to when they say they say the "state-controlled church". Every nut job out there has started a church of his/her own with almost no interference. You can't rape children and beat your wife in the name of religion. I can't think of any non-insane way the church is being hampered by the US government.

:lol: I just came here to post this story. I love the quote about not wanting her tax money to pay for abortions, but hmmm...who pays for the Coast Guard? Dumbasses.

Plus also, you know folks who think like this aren't exactly in a high tax bracket, if they're employable at all.

I wonder what she thinks about illegal immigrants. I only ask because something tells me that she and her husband didn't apply for visas etc for Kiribati so they would have been illegal immigrants there.

My main conclusion though is that people are stupid and they are lucky they didn't die.

If it wasn't for the kids I wouldn't feel sorry for these fools at all. Seems God was trying to send them a message. How can anyone who has done even the slightest amount of research on Kiribati decide to emigrate there in a small sailboat from San Diego? :doh: All I've done is read "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" and I know Kiribati is not the place for your emigre fundie family!

So the American fundie world has its own version of Hellena & Currawong Song?

Can somebody drop me a link to the "state controlled church" in the US?

If they are not an argument against allowing people to interpret scripture in their own private vacuum, I don't know what is.

Assholes. :evil-eye:

The irony and the stupidity is strong with these two. If they lose their children, and they darn well should, they will just use that as proof they were right to flee. Why does none of these idiots understand cause and effect?

When I saw this thread title my first thought was 'Shrader?'

They should have just flown to Indonesia & taken a boat into Australian waters without a passport or ID. You end up in a small island nation if you do that.

On the topic of small islands, this is one of my favorite Wiki pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples. Along with the totally unrelated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... onceptions.

When I saw this thread title my first thought was 'Shrader?'

I guess that if he prayed enough to g-d & then posted about his prayers on FB. Somebody would know somebody with a boat they are willing to give to the slack bastard.

Archived