IGNORED

Fundie Finishing School?

GenerationCedarchip

In my experience, private tutors make more money per hour than classroom teachers. When my husband was effectively homeschooling his (Tree Farm) bosses son, he was told by more than one person that he should be charging at least 25 an hour.

(He did it for his normal wage, plus prep time. I hang my head in shame that I couldn't convince him otherwise ...)

"List all jobs done by your own mother in your home. Use the average hourly pay for each job (find online) and estimated time spent in each job to compute her weekly earnings if she were paid the going rate for her work in the home. Add all the jobs she does during the week for a complete picture. Then multiply by 52 to find the annual value of her work in the home. (Due to overlap of some jobs, the total hours worked may be more than the actual hours in a week.) Compare the value of her work to the mean and median incomes of women in the work force to see where a woman would be more productive. Be sure to charge the rate of a private tutor, not a classroom teacher, for the time she spends homeschooling."

Oh, if only they would show this on the Duggar show! It wouldn't take too long, once they look up the rate for a pregnancy surrogate, lesson complete. :D

"Communist liberal feminist Betty Friedan claimed that 'housework expands to fit available time.' Write a paper illustrating how this is or is not true."

but that might lead to thinking...

This quote is trufax. Of course Betty Friedan had a household staff and thus did not have a typical working mom experience for most of her life, but I know I spend so much time cleaning now that I work from home. The more you and, more importantly, the children are home, the more housework you need to do. When they were in daycare/school, I could pick up for a half hour after bedtime and deep clean once a week; now I pick up constantly and spend an hour or two every day scrubbing.

Working from home: not all it is built up to be.

"Math and Personal Finance - review of arithmetic basics for those who

need them, as well as activities in bookkeeping, accounting,

statistics, graphing, consumer math, basic algebra and geometry,

and some opportunities to study more advanced math for those

who wish to do so"

Well, THAT would have got me through 8th grade!

The only literature worth speaking of in that curriculum is Austen and the Bronte sisters! And maybe the de Maupassant short story.

"To better understand what we must refute, read and discuss Darwin's Origin of Species, the book in which he laid out his theory of

origins. Find arguments from Scripture to refute each point he makes." -- I guess that shows HIM then!

" Using a good Jewish cookbook, learn to cook one or more kosher dishes that your family does not normally eat. " -- but we regret to inform you that this will probably involve obtaining all new kitchenware, at least.

But it is all about the bing, I see. Nice.

I would LOVE to sit in on that class. Ladies trying to find parts of the bible to refute each point he makes in that book? That would be a riot :lol:

But why only look at Origin Of Species? I mean, it was anamazing starting point, but I think evolutionary theory has come a very long way since then.

I would LOVE to sit in on that class. Ladies trying to find parts of the bible to refute each point he makes in that book? That would be a riot :lol:

But why only look at Origin Of Species? I mean, it was anamazing starting point, but I think evolutionary theory has come a very long way since then.

Its very outdatedness fits into the theme of everything else Victorian that they're doing, and lord knows these people appear to have some sort of Victorian fetish.

See, by the time you calculate the rate of a private tutor times all the children she is homeschooling, it probably will come out as more than a teacher's hourly rate. Assume $10/hr X 8 kids....

I hope they read TOOTS because it is not the evil that fundies believe it is. Darwinism can be broken down into a few basic premises that are undeniable by anyone with eyes and common sense. Further, TOOTS is about just that--how we got different species--not the origin of the world. Darwin was a creationist and a minister; I'm pretty sure his actual works would be very nonoffensive to even a fundie. They need to find another scapegoat and stop the campaign of misinformation.

I have a problem with this "This curriculum stresses the importance of a woman's making her family her number one Earthly priority in terms of time and emotional commitment, and of seeing this as her life ‘calling' from God." Where does anyone get off telling another human being what their calling from God is?

Darwin was a creationist and a minister; I'm pretty sure his actual works would be very nonoffensive to even a fundie. They need to find another scapegoat and stop the campaign of misinformation.

Not exactly-- Darwin was educated as a clergyman (this was a standard university course for intelligent young men of his social class; a church "living" provided these men with a stable income and a lot of spare time to devote to their own intellectual pursuits), but he never took divine orders. Instead he became a naturalist. I doubt he was what we would call a "creationist", even. He was either a vague deist or agnostic by the time of his death, although he may have believed in God at various points during his life.

I have a problem with this "This curriculum stresses the importance of a woman's making her family her number one Earthly priority in terms of time and emotional commitment, and of seeing this as her life ‘calling' from God." Where does anyone get off telling another human being what their calling from God is?

All you have to do is look between their legs between when they are born. Obviously, you're not a fundie or you would know this :)

I've spent a few years teaching 12-year-olds. Within the horrors of a public education system. Take out the religious element, if I gave my students assignments with as low level educational value as these, I would be currently going through disciplinary proceedings.

What adds insult to injury is the fact that it advertises itself as appropriate for College Prep..

Archived