IGNORED

Sunshine Mary explains why women have "ravishment" fantasies

snuggles911

Sunshine Mary HAS to be a man. And I'm not saying this because women can't be assholes (oh God they can), but the subjects she keeps choosing are just....MRA stylie. Things men would talk about.

I'd be happy to be disabused of this notion though.

Thanks. I guess I could hang them round my neck, with all the others :lol:

I know the French, and a lot of old-fashioned farmers here eat 'animelles' (my grandad did: waste not, want not!) but I'm not sure I fancy them with bacon for breakfast.

You're thinking of the statue of Artemis like this aren't you?

artemis2ndce.jpg

Find it so funny that for centuries male ethnographers and archaeologists believed that she was 'many-breasted' Artemis. Look closely, guys. THERE ARE NO NIPPLES. Those ovoids are often, thought not always, considered to be genuine male bovine gonads, from bulls sacrificed to the virgin goddess. (The argument still rages especially among those who don't like the idea of a powerful, emasculating female deity.)

I was taught that when the Christian religion came along, they tried to take away Artemis' power by giving her lots of breasts - by making her more animalistic. Where did you learn about the emasculating-goddess theory? I'm interested to read it!

At Cambridge. My degree is in Classics. (Ancient Greek and Latin.)

The Mediterranean area produced many goddess cults, which accreted over time, and became conflated with each other, so that from Rome to Syria there were variations of a virgin goddess who was also a huntress, inimical to men, a protector of women and a lunar deity (althought this is a post-Classical elaboration).

At times aspects of this goddess were worshipped as Artemis (the maiden) Cybele (the Great Mother) and Hecate (the crone). She has names as various as Wanasoi (in Cretan Linear B), Potnia Theron, (in Homer: Mistress of animals), Artamos ('butcher' in Doric Greek). She predates Apollo, (often supposed to be her brother in some mythology) Zeus, and most of the other gods of the Greek pantheon.

Her worship is almost always associated with animals, and often with bulls: Artemis Tauropolos. This aspect of her worship is Minoan and Anatolian, rather than Hellenic. As Cybele she was served by castrati, who sliced off their own testicles in her honour.

Interesting that you were taught Artemis was disempowered by giving her breasts. That's such a Christian perspective - as if any woman could be disempowered by being given breasts. As for animalistic - she was that already . . . .

At Cambridge. My degree is in Classics. (Ancient Greek and Latin.)

The Mediterranean area produced many goddess cults, which accreted over time, and became conflated with each other, so that from Rome to Syria there were variations of a virgin goddess who was also a huntress, inimical to men, a protector of women and a lunar deity (althought this is a post-Classical elaboration).

At times aspects of this goddess were worshipped as Artemis (the maiden) Cybele (the Great Mother) and Hecate (the crone). She has names as various as Wanasoi (in Cretan Linear B), Potnia Theron, (in Homer: Mistress of animals), Artamos ('butcher' in Doric Greek). She predates Apollo, (often supposed to be her brother in some mythology) Zeus, and most of the other gods of the Greek pantheon.

Her worship is almost always associated with animals, and often with bulls: Artemis Tauropolos. This aspect of her worship is Minoan and Anatolian, rather than Hellenic. As Cybele she was served by castrati, who sliced off their own testicles in her honour.

Interesting that you were taught Artemis was disempowered by giving her breasts. That's such a Christian perspective - as if any woman could be disempowered by being given breasts. As for animalistic - she was that already . . . .

My degree is in classics also, hello! We never specifically had a class on mythology, so maybe the lecturer just picked the explanation he had seen? I'm not sure.

Yes to the animalistic - wasn't there specifically a cult for bears to do with Artemis? Or am I thinking of the Ainu.....argh, there is sometimes a problem with reading too much mythology. Brains need catalogue cards.

I have often thought that the "ravishment" fantasies presented in a certain genre of romance novel were mostly popular among women who could never imagine themselves saying "Damn, hottiepants, you so fine, let's bone."

Or, as an alternate, women who have always been told that there is no possibility that they can ever express sexual interest in a man. Because that's not something good women do.

Sunshine Mary HAS to be a man. And I'm not saying this because women can't be assholes (oh God they can), but the subjects she keeps choosing are just....MRA stylie. Things men would talk about.

I'd be happy to be disabused of this notion though.

I think she's a woman who gets off on being a mra attention whore.

I think she's a woman who gets off on being a mra attention whore.

"At least...at least I can make some men like me! My husband screws around on me but randoms on the Internet will pretend they love me if I debase myself enough! Thank God!"

Yup. You're right. It's sad.

I have often thought that the "ravishment" fantasies presented in a certain genre of romance novel were mostly popular among women who could never imagine themselves saying "Damn, hottiepants, you so fine, let's bone."

Or, as an alternate, women who have always been told that there is no possibility that they can ever express sexual interest in a man. Because that's not something good women do.

Sunshine Mary cites a study that shows this "feminist viewpoint" is incorrect:

So why are women turned on by this kind of scenario? In the past, the theory went that women didn’t want to be perceived as “slutty†for enjoying sex, and so rape fantasies were a way to avoid taking blame for their sexual desires. We’re delighted to report that the researchers of this new study found no such thing!…

On the contrary, in fact: This new study found that the less repressed about sex women said they were and the more positive attitudes they had about sex, the more likely they were to fantasize about rape or ravishment. It makes sense, when you think about it: These women are more open to fantasy in general, and are less likely to feel guilty about their fantasy lives.

She has a link to the actual study on her post. sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/Ravishment fantasies as an expression of the feminine desire to submit to male power. (PG-13, Mildly NSFW)

Archived