IGNORED

Heather from PWJ blurb on Plan B

lilwriter85

Heather, the Mormon blogger from Paralyzed With Joy had a brief blurb about Plan B.

paralyzedwithjoy.blogspot.com/2013/06/plan-b99-store-diet.html

I heard two interesting stories on the news this morning. First, Plan B, the emergency contraceptive, or "morning-after pill" can now be purchased at drugstores, no questions asked, regardless of a woman's age (or lack thereof). This is a rather unsettling thought when you consider the fact that the adolescent brain isn't fully developed until their mid-20's. I've heard Dr. Phil mention this statistic many a time over the years, meaning that it's common for teenagers to make really poor decisions because their brains just aren't capable of reasoning like a mature adult. Knowing that the 12 and 13-year-old girls I teach in my Sunday school class, or my nieces that age could potentially go and get Plan B is downright scary! I suppose Plan B has its place, but in my opinion, it should only be used "as a last resort" as in the case of rape or some extreme circumstance like that, not just because you had a little too much to drink and inadvertently slept with someone when your inhibitions were down.

Really poor decisions....

If someone cannot make the right decisions, do they have any business being a parent? Hell no.

And if they know they shouldn't be having a baby and decide to take a preventative course of action....why are we shaming them for such a thing? One less neglected or poorly raised child can only be a blessing to society.

Thats not to say some teen parents don't do a bang up job.....but a lot of it has to do with the support they have at home and their own abil;ity to take on such a responsibility.

I just noticed this comment on the blog. I wonder if Heather will reply to it. She doesn't do postings on this kind of stuff often. I agree with the comment.

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Your argument that Plan B shouldn't be available regardless of age is based on brain development. But if a girl's brain isn't fully developed, is she better of having a kid?

Sara

If we're going to discuss adolescent and young adult brain development, or lack thereof, I'm much more concerned about the effects of 16-20 year olds driving, 16-20 year olds drinking, and the devastating combination of the two, than I am of 15 year olds purchasing medication OTC.

I'm pretty concerned an adult would take anything approaching medical advice from 'Dr.' Phil.

Heather is a Dr. Phil fangirl. She has praised him before. I do have concerns for her at times because she is pretty sheltered and naive about many things. But I don't think her fangirling over Dr. Phil will hurt her.

I really hope that her Sunday school students she is SO WORRIED about don't go to her if/when they decide to have sex. I can't imagine she'll give accurate information.

I just noticed this comment on the blog. I wonder if Heather will reply to it. She doesn't do postings on this kind of stuff often. I agree with the comment.

That's me! I wonder if she'll reply too.

Apart from the whole brain development thing I also find her argument so sex negative. It definitely comes across as if she believes women should be punished for having sex in a manner she deems irresponsible.

I really hope that her Sunday school students she is SO WORRIED about don't go to her if/when they decide to have sex. I can't imagine she'll give accurate information.

I also hope they don't go to her for advice. I honesty think Heather is the wrong person to be a Sunday school teacher especially when it comes to sex topics. She was called by her bishop a year or so ago to be a teacher for the junior high group. She herself admitted to having difficulties on the sex related topics. I don't think Heather has ever had a boyfriend. She was 19 when she became disabled and she has never indicated to dating anyone. She once talked about knowing the man she wants to marry. My guesses are that she has never approached him or she did and he rejected her. Heather and her family aren't in the category of extreme fundies. But her teaching Sunday school reminds me a bit of Sarah Mally. As for the Sunday school students, I think some of them would know better not to go to Heather for advice, but who knows.

That's me! I wonder if she'll reply too.

Apart from the whole brain development thing I also find her argument so sex negative. It definitely comes across as if she believes women should be punished for having sex in a manner she deems irresponsible.

Oh cool it's your comment. I also agree, she came off as believing women should be punished. That part bothered me quite a bit. ETA: It will be interesting if Heather replies. She doesn't do lot of these kinds of postings and in the past when she has talked about issues that are controversial, usually its friends who make comments agreeing with her.

Sara, I just saw Heather's responses to you and a couple of other people.

AnonymousJune 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Adoption is an alternative to parenthood, not pregnancy. Pregnancy is a HUGE toll on the body and on the mind, and especially so for a child that's barely gone through puberty yet. I'm just going to ask you again, if you can't trust a woman to make a choice with her contraception, how can you trust her with a child? Choosing to give up a child for adoption, after going through 9 months of pregnancy and giving birth is much, much harder on a teenage girl than taking Plan B.

I think it's a healthy 12-year old who chooses to take Plan B over going through pregnancy!

Sara

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!)June 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I know we would never agree on this issue, so we'll have to "agree to disagree." Thank you for commenting, though. I enjoy hearing what other people think, especially when it's different from my line of thinking. :)

AnonymousJune 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Someone else's healthcare decisions are really none of your business. Plan B only works in a short time frame. If a woman is raped does she have to "prove" the rape before she's given access to Plan B? That can take months, years, and in many cases the rapists are acquitted.

Plan B has been widely available to women, teens included, in my state for some time now. We have lower teen pregnancy rates than the national average. In regards to Plan B as a backup, that's what it is advertised as. It is NOT advertised as a first line of defense against pregnancy. Again, birth control like the Pill is widely available in my state. We are given comprehensive sex ed which includes how to prevent pregnancy.

And you know what? Anyone's birth control can fail. You could take the Pill faithfully and still get pregnant. You could have an IUD and still get pregnant. You could use a condom and still get pregnant. No form of birth control is 100% effective.

Tessa

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!)June 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I definitely don't think a woman should have to prove that she was raped to be eligible for plan B, I just don't think it should be available to women (especially teenagers) NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know it's not advertised as the first line of defense, but a young 12 or 13-year-old might see it that way.

I know anyone's birth control can fail, but I don't think that has anything to do with if Plan B should/shouldn't be available no questions asked to women of any age. Besides, if a woman's birth control fails, it would be too late for her to take Plan B by the time she realizes it. (Unless, I guess, if a condom breaks.)

I know people have different opinions about things like Plan B, abortion and birth control, but this is just my opinion. People are allowed to feel differently and are allowed to express their opinions. I suppose if people want to take Plan B, that's their right, I just don't think it should be readily available to young teenagers without parental consent.

i

onamin-W8FW8June 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Someone else's healthcare decisions ARE my business if it is my teenage daughter! I think it is ludicrous that I have to given written consent for the school to give my child a Tylenol or a Tums, yet this same child can acquire Plan B without my knowledge or consent. That is my problem with having Plan B easily available.

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!)June 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I might not agree that Plan B should be an option for most people, but I guess it should be allowed to be there for the people that feel differently. However, I really think that there should be rules that govern who is allowed to get it without parental consent. I think if a girl younger than 15 is going to get Plan B she should have to have parental consent.

I agree that it does seem crazy that parental consent is mandatory for a Tylenol or a Tums, but not for Plan B.

I read her blog post this morning and after I finished I thought "what a passive aggressive argument she is making." It was a ridiculous "reason" she gave for not making Plan B available and my impression was that she REALLY thinks that if it is available then it's a way to communicate "sex is okay" to teens. She can have her opinion about it but just say what you think so we can actually discuss your ideas, not some smokescreen, straw man, ridiculous brain development bullshit. If you think a teen's brain isn't fully developed enough to decide on Plan B then I wouldn't be too concerned about a zygote's "brain."

Idiots. Schools DO need permission to give any drug including Plan B. Any kid can buy tylenol or Tums without a parents pemission.

Idiots. Schools DO need permission to give any drug including Plan B. Any kid can buy tylenol or Tums without a parents pemission.

I think that would depend on the school and the area. Some have on-site birth control clinics, which would not require a parents permission. I have no idea if they offer Plan B, though some do offer birth control pills.

I think it's ridiculous that a teenager can't ask for a tums without parental consent, and kids have been suspended for bringing tylenol to school.

Wouldn't the fact that teenagers make really bad decisions sometimes be an even bigger argument for Plan B to be readily available?

Some schools have birth control clinics??? My schools didn't have a full time nurse, let alone a birth control clinic. Some schools do have a nursery in some places. My high school was too small as it is.

Anyway, yes, I would prefer my daughter tell me if she needed Plan B under age 15 because that would concern me. Something's not quite right about younger children having sex and I would be concerned about her being taken advantage of honestly. BUT the problem is that it she could have been raped and it could be by her parent or guardian or relative and that could cause a very serious issue, so no, they should get Plan B without any questions, though if a 13yo wanted Plan B, I'd be worried about her as a pharmacist that she could be in danger. But the lack of questions or need for consent is a good way to prevent pregnancy from incest and rape in young teenagers and doesn't pressure them to admit to a crime they may be fearful to admit, especially where family is involved. Lack of pressure may help her to admit if she's in harm's way and get her out of the situation hopefully.

I think our high school may have had condoms available, but no way did they have pills. No one there was authorized to do any sort of prescription type things. I dont even know if they were able

To do Tylenol.

I would think that if I had (informed mature) teen girls in my home that I even suspected were having sex, Id have a few boxes of Plan B right next to the fucking Tums.

Some schools have birth control clinics??? My schools didn't have a full time nurse, let alone a birth control clinic. Some schools do have a nursery in some places. My high school was too small as it is.

Anyway, yes, I would prefer my daughter tell me if she needed Plan B under age 15 because that would concern me. Something's not quite right about younger children having sex and I would be concerned about her being taken advantage of honestly. BUT the problem is that it she could have been raped and it could be by her parent or guardian or relative and that could cause a very serious issue, so no, they should get Plan B without any questions, though if a 13yo wanted Plan B, I'd be worried about her as a pharmacist that she could be in danger. But the lack of questions or need for consent is a good way to prevent pregnancy from incest and rape in young teenagers and doesn't pressure them to admit to a crime they may be fearful to admit, especially where family is involved. Lack of pressure may help her to admit if she's in harm's way and get her out of the situation hopefully.

In my state, IIRC some larger schools have on site clinics in which nurses could give out condoms or referrals so teenagers can get info about how to get birth control pills. I remember this started sometime in the early 00s.

There was a health clinic at one of my kids high school , about 10 years ago. There were about 1,500- 2,000 kids at the school, which is pretty average size here. I think the nurse was part-time. They also had a child care and teen parent program in the district at one of the high schools.

In this state minors aged 12 (or maybe it's 13) and over don't need parental consent for mental health, substance abuse or sexual health treatment or medications.

There are many 13 and 14 year olds who have sex, at least in my experience those are generally consensual relationships. Looking back, it is waaaayyyyyyyy too young from an emotional level, but it happens and I would much rather my young teen could get access to the morning after pill than get pregnant.

Of course the problem with kids that young is having enough cash, and knowing to get it in time. Making it over the counter could actually make it more difficult for some teens to get - will they still carry it like any other birth control at clinics ? Teens here receive free contraceptives through the clinics through a special medi-caid program-- will that apply to over the counter medications ? I don't know, just wondering.

There was a health clinic at one of my kids high school , about 10 years ago. There were about 1,500- 2,000 kids at the school, which is pretty average size here. I think the nurse was part-time. They also had a child care and teen parent program in the district at one of the high schools.

In this state minors aged 12 (or maybe it's 13) and over don't need parental consent for mental health, substance abuse or sexual health treatment or medications.

There are many 13 and 14 year olds who have sex, at least in my experience those are generally consensual relationships. Looking back, it is waaaayyyyyyyy too young from an emotional level, but it happens and I would much rather my young teen could get access to the morning after pill than get pregnant.

Of course the problem with kids that young is having enough cash, and knowing to get it in time. Making it over the counter could actually make it more difficult for some teens to get - will they still carry it like any other birth control at clinics ? Teens here receive free contraceptives through the clinics through a special medi-caid program-- will that apply to over the counter medications ? I don't know, just wondering.

I've heard that medicaid has stopped covering over the counter medications due to budget cuts, so my guess is that unless it would apply under the new thing allowing no copays for regular birth control pills, teens would have to pay full price for Plan B.

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!)June 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I definitely don't think a woman should have to prove that she was raped to be eligible for plan B, I just don't think it should be available to women (especially teenagers) NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know it's not advertised as the first line of defense, but a young 12 or 13-year-old might see it that way.

I know anyone's birth control can fail, but I don't think that has anything to do with if Plan B should/shouldn't be available no questions asked to women of any age. Besides, if a woman's birth control fails, it would be too late for her to take Plan B by the time she realizes it. (Unless, I guess, if a condom breaks.)

I know people have different opinions about things like Plan B, abortion and birth control, but this is just my opinion. People are allowed to feel differently and are allowed to express their opinions. I suppose if people want to take Plan B, that's their right, I just don't think it should be readily available to young teenagers without parental consent.

You just said you teach 12 and 13 year olds. Try teaching them that it's not a first line of defense and that whatever alternatives that you deem acceptable exist. Now you want to hold it against kids who have had their knowledge of and access to sex education and birth control blocked by the very parents you think should have to give consent for the last option they have that hasn't been withheld from them?

The body of a 13-year-old is far from fully developed to give birth. There's a reason child brides in Afghanistan die from pregnancy complications. Being pregnant as a young teen or tween is very dangerous. No child should have to face that risk.

Interesting Heather didn't reply to this comment.

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Can people stop invoking rape as if it is the only acceptable way for a (unmarried) woman to have sex? I have been raped and it was... the most devastating experience of my life... but that does not put my potential risk of pregnancy on a different level when compared to other people's risk of pregnancy. Women should not be denied access to medicine because they had consensual sex.

Maybe you did not mean to do this, but this piece truly came across as saying "Women who have consensual sex should have limited healthcare options, that'll teach 'em for being so loose!!!!" People's access to medical care should not be decided by whether or not they consented. When else does such a ridiculous standard occur? A skier will get treatment if he breaks his leg; it does not matter that it was consensual skiing.

Archived