IGNORED

Hazardous Journey in Zambia

debrand

Zambia is full of wealthy tourists. I wonder if they're doing the typical safari and Victoria Falls trip (which is amazing, by the way, not knocking it at all). I wouldn't consider it hazardous at all, but if you're stupid things can actually get pretty dangerous if you're around wild animals. I've definitely heard some stories.

I hope Dougie and his fellow asshats get gobbled up by lions . . . or tigers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Dougie and his fellow asshats get gobbled up by lions . . . or tigers.

Hey don't be hating on lions and tigers what have they ever done to you?

Afghanistan wouldn't be a bad place to get warmed up. THen they could travel to Iran. No need to even convert the Christians there, just minister to the truly persocuted.

Iran is actually pretty easy to travel in.

I've not been back to Pakistan since 07, I think I left the day the Red Mosque was bombed, so right as they started. but it was The Best Country Ever, before the troubles. Incredibly easy travel. PNG is.. more challenging, but nothing off the charts.

And I say this as Single White Female Traveller. Yep, there was def. some harassment (that actually nearly turned me off Iran entirely. much easier to travel with a random man. really. it's almost laughable). But yep. These boys don't know squat.

I mean - here's the thing about pretty much all *travel*, ** ever, anywhere. It's not necessarily *that hard* to do. Yes, you might have to hike or take 60 hours on a bus or only eat roadside food. Maybe you don't see another westerner for a few days (but damn, that takes way more effort than you think it will. we're $%*&^ everywhere). If you are really pushing it, you likely have either proper experience in the wilderness or a guide.

There are options, on every trip, everywhere, for levels of difficulty. You can stick to tourist routes, even in countries that aren't considered touristy. Or you can get "off the beaten track" - which can actually be quite challenging, even in well travelled countries. But once you're doing it, you realise the challenge is mainly just doing it. Sure, sometimes things go wrong - but most times, 99.9999999999% of times, it's totally fine and you just keep going.

The rest of the world is no where near as threatening as we assume. Or that ToolBoy seems intent on maintaining. (i'm still trying not to weep about the Myanmar trip. the gaudy brash shwedagon pagoda? they've got no sense of refinement or awe or majesty).

** note: travel. I'm not saying every place on earth is easy. Obviously, trekking across the Congo or Central African Republic is tough. Nor would I encourage anyone to take a week long break in Mogadishu. But the vast majority of travel - vast majority - is Not Anywhere Near as Difficult as You Imagine. You just do it. One Foot After Another and you get there.

Iran is actually pretty easy to travel in.

That may be true, but Iranian authorities are actively arresting Christian pastors and missionaries.

I'm thinking a nice Haredi enclave, like Mea Shearim or Kiryas Joel, would make an excellent Hazardous Journey for Doug (Phillips who is a tool).

Excellent chance they could make enemies wherever they travel to. Bunch of asses...their approach won't go over all that well I assume.

Oi Doug.....if you want to make your journey even more hazardous travel into rural parts of North Western, Copperbelt, Central and Luapula provinces close to the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) particularly after dark and there is an exciting risk of landmines near the borders with Angola, Mozambique and DRC borders....(thanks to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office for that..)

I was thinking more along the lines of covering themselves in meat and steak sauce and wandering into the wilderness at night, but your idea is good too.

They could do both....that would be living on the edge. Avoiding landmines while covered in steak sauce would be truly hazardous.... ;)

I can't understand Glaswegian accents & i've grown up hearing my dads best friend who has a VERY strong Scottish accent which has not faded at all after 30+yrs in Australia. :lol:

Lots of Australians do FIFO (fly in fly out) work in New Guinea. I don't know why because they are lots of similar jobs in Australian mines, still dangerous work, but you will be much safer in a donga in FNQ than in the jungle.

There are organised tours to North Korea. I think its fairly safe if you are a western or chinese tourist, although being from the USA might cause a few problems. http://www.koryogroup.com

I want to go on one, but I don't know if I would be let in because i'm a paid up member of the Liberal Party.

This just in: thoughtful is a GENIUS. That is all.

Aw, Hane, you're making me blush! We need a bashfully-digging-a-toe-in-the-sand smiley.

I love song parodies -- they make me happy.

Archived