IGNORED

The Schraders are in the Ozarks

happy atheist

A former coworker of mine is a missionary in Amsterdam. Elizabeth Smart was a missionary in Paris. I absolutely won't snark on Elizabeth Smart, who deserves every nice thing she gets, but the rest of them (maybe Mitt was also a missionary there?) Some pretty cushy soul saving.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And here is the link to their missions organization. Took a tiny bit of googling, they are listed with the organization they say they are with.

gibmission.org/missions/missionaries

Thanks for posting this. Schrader says in the "broken van" posting that they are with Global Independent Baptist Missions....not Global Independent Baptist Fellowship, so I was confused. I may try making a flow chart of these organizations.

Now that you've posted this link, I agree with others who note that this approach to mission work is acceptable and understandable within their circles.

And my apologies to the person who earlier explained deputation. Guess I'm guilty of not reading carefully

either :oops: :oops: :oops:

A former coworker of mine is a missionary in Amsterdam. Elizabeth Smart was a missionary in Paris. I absolutely won't snark on Elizabeth Smart, who deserves every nice thing she gets, but the rest of them (maybe Mitt was also a missionary there?) Some pretty cushy soul saving.

Elizabeth Smart and Mitt are Mormons, and Mormonism isn't very common outside the US. It is quite different than mainstream Christianity, and many don't even consider Mormons Christians, so I can give a pass on me going to Europe to get converts. As for baptists, their religion originated in Europe and the lack of followers there is not for lack of information, like it might be for Mormons. It does still sound quite cushy, but Elizabeth deserves it!

Can I be a FJ missionary in Paris? I do feel very strongly convicted to do this. It's like a calling from above, really. If you will all just send me donations, enough for a nice apartment rental on the Ile St Louis, I'll be able to go and spread the word to the French. We have very few French on the board and I'm sure they need to hear our message.

Yes, I feel convicted to go to Monte Carlo! So much gambling there.... So many lost souls. Satan and his minions need to be rebuked in Jesus' name.... Right after I hit the craps table.

:shifty:

Can I be a FJ missionary in Paris? I do feel very strongly convicted to do this. It's like a calling from above, really. If you will all just send me donations, enough for a nice apartment rental on the Ile St Louis, I'll be able to go and spread the word to the French. We have very few French on the board and I'm sure they need to hear our message.

I have been called to be your partner! Together, we will have accountability, and the strength to encourage each other in our walk to .... I ran out of buzzwords. Please, take me with you! I can learn to manipulate the poor, misled French into using their God-given free will!

Yes, I feel convicted to go to Monte Carlo! So much gambling there.... So many lost souls. Satan and his minions need to be rebuked in Jesus' name.... Right after I hit the craps table.

:shifty:

It is funny, how so many of us are recieving the same calling! As I was walking back from lunch, I heard the voice of Saint Rachel Maddow, and she placed in my heart a calling to become an FJ Missionary at the Soggy Dollar Bar in White Bay, BVIs.

White Sandy Beaches, Sunshine, Hammocks, Endless supply of beer, WiFi, and so many souls that need to hear FJ's message of snark.

Seriously, if you have an opportunity to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar in the BVIs...You must go. They photo shop out all the boats and islands in the distance, but that is where they film the Corona Commercials, and it is a beautiful place to drink beer.

Just to put your minds at ease I am responding to let you know i have Costa Rica covered as we speak. I have been tirelessly spreading thr word down here for the last week. What word i do nor know but...oh wait, gotta go! Off to the concert in San Josa!

Just to put your minds at ease I am responding to let you know i have Costa Rica covered as we speak. I have been tirelessly spreading thr word down here for the last week. What word i do nor know but...oh wait, gotta go! Off to the concert in San Josa!

Thank you for your sacrafice!

in the About us sections he says: "I was saved at the age of five years old, and though I had been “wanting to get saved†for some time before, my parents wisely would share some verses with me and then encourage me to come back and talk to them about it later"

HE WAS FIVE!!! i can't read anymore ... too much

Yes, well talk of being sent to hell will scare any aware kid no matter how old, right? That's how they got me. Awanas preacher saying if we don't want to go to hell and burn forever we better talk to a leader and get saved. Keeping the masses terrified is necessary for control.

I have one question. Maybe this has been covered already, but I am relatively new here. If the Shraders are "begging " for donations towards their trip to Zambia and the Dad doesn't seem to have any regular income and like a lot of fundies, they don't accept state benefits, how the heck do they feed all those kids?

It must cost a lot of money to feed 8 of them, even with church hand-outs. I find it expensive just to feed 3!!

Do they homeschool? That material isn't cheap either. Of the photos of the kids I have seen, they seem to be well fed and well dressed.

Some one enlighten me!!

Most likely they are given a lot of clothing for the kids, she may sew, and they probably get the rest at goodwill. Eating is probably also done super cheap and while traveling they would be staying with churches that would ask families to host and feed them so they get handouts for food. Also they are probably allowed to take staples from churches that maintain their own pantries.

Yes, well talk of being sent to hell will scare any aware kid no matter how old, right? That's how they got me. Awanas preacher saying if we don't want to go to hell and burn forever we better talk to a leader and get saved. Keeping the masses terrified is necessary for control.

Absolutely! This happened to me as well, only I was 3! Looking back on it as an adult, I am infuriated that I was subjected to such emotional abuse as a very young child (calling it as it is, no need to pretty it up) that I was terrified I was going to die one night and go to hell. When I was 3, I asked my mom if I prayed the "salvation prayer," would that keep me out of hell. She said yes and then prayed with me to "get saved." I was still terrified though, as every night I would say my sing-song prayer of "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, that if I die before I wake, my soul be Thine for Jesus sake." What utter tripe! A daily reminder for the child to repeat every night that they are in danger of dying and going to Hell unless they commit their soul to the Lord. I was quite the fearful child as a result. I've run the gamut with religion throughout my life before finally coming to realize that it is a blight on humanity in that it has been used for nothing more than control and profit. On one hand, I want to say that I don't begrudge those who follow their faith, so long as they don't try to shove it down anyone else's throat, but then I just can't get over how wrong it is to teach children that they are sinful creatures, unworthy of heaven unless they conform their life to the demands of a god who doesn't even exist within our universe, but in some undetectable place far off beyond the galaxy. Don't know how I can call it anything other than emotional abuse, since I see it all as a load of lies.

And the Shraders are asking for handouts to go over to another country and spread this poison? They don't even want to do anything practically helpful like build houses or whatever, they just want to preach this "save your soul" mess everywhere they go? Fuck that.

Edited for clarification.

LOL, they probably did it to get him out of the garage because they are sick of hearing about Christ's blood and eternal life!

Are the missionaries paid to raise money? Maybe that explains how he's able to eat organically and, well, live.

Honestly if he has the kids with him, broke, stuck on the road, and taking up space, I do believe some one would buy them a radiator. I have to say if I did't know their whole story (lazy not working bastard), and saw a broke family stuck with all the kids, my non-saved self would probably be tempted to help too. But if he had time to talk to him, then know way he is living, I would hope no one would be tempted to help them when the guy is a mooch for Jesus.

Absolutely! This happened to me as well, only I was 3! Looking back on it as an adult, I am infuriated that I was subjected to such emotional abuse as a very young child (calling it as it is, no need to pretty it up) that I was terrified I was going to die one night and go to hell. When I was 3, I asked my mom if I prayed the "salvation prayer," would that keep me out of hell. She said yes and then prayed with me to "get saved." I was still terrified though, as every night I would say my sing-song prayer of "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, that if I die before I wake, my soul be Thine for Jesus sake." What utter tripe! A daily reminder for the child to repeat every night that they are in danger of dying and going to Hell unless they commit their soul to the Lord. I was quite the fearful child as a result. I've run the gamut with religion throughout my life before finally coming to realize that it is a blight on humanity in that it has been used for nothing more than control and profit. On one hand, I want to say that I don't begrudge those who follow their faith, so long as they don't try to shove it down anyone else's throat, but then I just can't get over how wrong it is to teach children that they are sinful creatures, unworthy of heaven unless they conform their life to the demands of a god who doesn't even exist within our universe, but in some undetectable place far off beyond the galaxy. Don't know how I can call it anything other than emotional abuse, since I see it all as a load of lies.

And the Shraders are asking for handouts to go over to another country and spread this poison? They don't even want to do anything practically helpful like build houses or whatever, they just want to preach this "save your soul" mess everywhere they go? Fuck that.

Edited for clarification.

Shut the Front Door! You were told that, at three? I am flabbergasted.

Can I ask, what is Awanas?

Well, if Purple is referring to what I think, then Awanas is a program they have at Baptist churches for kids on Wednesday nights. It's like a Bible club, where you play games, have a lesson, and memorize verses for "badges." Lots of hellfire and brimstone preached there as well!

And yes, I was taught, from the time I could understand language, that I was a sinner bound for hell unless I "got saved." As most Baptist children are taught, I'd say.

Yep and yep. I wasn't told about hell from infancy only because my parents hadn't gotten into it yet. Awana was our gateway. My parents used it for free child care so they could have date nights. The belief system took over our whole lives because of Awana. From there we went fundie.

It's all such a waste to me and bugs me no end that some fundies/evangelicals are "called" to go minister to people just because they don't meet their relatively recent definition of "saved." The rest of us could be spared them if only they'd go study some church history. Too many of these missions accomplish nothing and cost so much money that it does seem a scam.

He broke down in a pretty forgiving spot, actually. The southern suburbs of Dallas have a lot of large and small Baptist and evangelical churches. There's also many many wealthy megachurches around.

He broke down in a pretty forgiving spot, actually. The southern suburbs of Dallas have a lot of large and small Baptist and evangelical churches. There's also many many wealthy megachurches around.

Well of course. God is on his side :angry-banghead:

Well of course. God is on his side :angry-banghead:

If God was on his side, He'd convict him to give up this moronic idea, get a job and start practicing birth control.

Archived