IGNORED

Looking for children's book set in African village

Hisey

I hope this is the right place to post this.

When I was a child, I read an excellent book or books about a young girl in an African village. She was very curious and intelligent and a bit unhappy about the gender role expectations she was supposed to obey.

At one point, the girl's brother attended his coming of age ceremony, where his earlobes were cut with a knife. His sister was not supposed to attend the ceremony, but she was curious and peeked from behind some bushes. The lobes became infected and he got very sick. The girl felt it was her fault for peeking. A foreign nurse cured him with antibiotics, and relieved her guilt about how the ears had become infected. This caused the young protagonist to become interested in gaining an education.

Despite this plot, I recall the author treated the customs and culture of the African village very respectfully (at least from my childish persective it seemed like a pretty nice place).

Does anyone recall this book? I am trying to find it and cannot seem to do so. I don't remember the title or the author. I know this is a well-read crowd so I thought perhaps someone could help me. Thanks!

Never heard of a book like that. Is it a picture book or for older kids? If you liked it and are book-shopping, I would also recommend "A Girl Named Disaster" by Nancy Farmer, about a young girl whose mother (now deceased) disgraced her village long ago, and the consequences she suffers her whole life for this. Also very respectful with a fascinating lead character. I loved it around age 10.

Never heard of a book like that. Is it a picture book or for older kids? If you liked it and are book-shopping, I would also recommend "A Girl Named Disaster" by Nancy Farmer, about a young girl whose mother (now deceased) disgraced her village long ago, and the consequences she suffers her whole life for this. Also very respectful with a fascinating lead character. I loved it around age 10.

No, it's a chapter book, probably for ages 8-12.

The book you suggest sounds interesting, I will look it up on Amazon. Thanks!

There used to be a community on livejournal or goodreads that could identify books on the vaguest information. I hope you find it! It sounds interesting

Archived