IGNORED

Joy Looking pissed? when asked about wanting a big family.

Deleted04

You know, your comment reminded me of somethign Big Mama Junebug used to say when we'd see crazy-ass dresses on runway models, back in the 1960s. She'd say, "Mm, MM! I think those men must hate women, the way they dress 'em."

In the 1970s, when she knew I knew about teh ghey, she'd be a little more open: "Well, of course those dresses look ridiculous, the men who design them don't like women to begin with!"

Initially I thought that the Gothard "look" for hair was Gothard's way of making his female followers look all angelic and soft and purty. The more I look at actual Gothard-women's hairstyles, though, BMJB's observations seem more and more apt...

;)

Gothard, closet for one!

It's the "Anatole of Paris" syndrome:

(edited because the youtube button never seems to work for me!)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's assuming you know they're children, a perception that Michelle has been spared.

Maybe b/c of the dog talk, but I read that as "Michelle has been spayed" and was like, "unfortunately Michelle has not been spayed...

That poor girl. You would think that they would pair her with one of the older girls to learn how to act like a young woman properly. I always did wonder why she looked like she never slept. I wonder if it has something to do with sleeping in a room with 10 other people, but KimC over on lifeinashoe claims that her kids sleep oh so well when they are all pig piled in an insect ridden room. On another note--the thought of her house makes me shiver with fear.

I feel sorry for Joy, but at the same time, more than any other girl she was raised around non-fundie people from her family traveling so much because of their fame. She was pretty young when they got famous, so the kool-aid might not have been fulling imbibed...(we hope)

Aside from her unfortunate place in the birth order( as far as workload goes), I think Joy is a real tomboy. She's almost 14, and she wears no makeup, keeps her hair in a ponytail most of the time, apparently prefers pants, and loves her skateboard. While none of that is unusual in the real world, it is very unfortunate in Duggarland.

She grew up in the pack of howlers, and doesn't seem to be close to her older sisters at all. She missed being a buddy to the younger girls, so she didn't bond with them either. I don't think Michelle trusts her with Josie, so she may pitch in occasionally, but I doubt she is a full time buddy. And with the hanger-throwing incident, we saw that she isn't too enthused with domestic chores.

Also, I think she is a real casualty of TSOTDRT. When she was 12, she was seen taking a 4th grade spelling test. She may actually resent the fact that she is so far behind. I think every kid after Joseph took a real hit in the education department. I believe that Michelle actually tried harder with the first bunch, before the sit in front of the computer years, but now she probably not involved at all. And with trips seemingly every week, the poor education is practically non-existent these days.

As far as the sleep-deprived look, I wouldn't be surprised if she has to share a bed with one of the little girls. Not fun on a regular basis.

On the plus side, when she turns 14, she will be able to get her learner's permit. I bet that will put a smile on her face.

I have also worried about her health. I had really dark eye circles when I was 13, and my gums bled a lot at the dentist and the hygienist said I might have anemia. It turns out that I had a combination of sub-clinical anemia AND sub-clinical hypothyroidism. My gums bled for years until my hypothyroidism was severe enough to actually treat (I also had bigger problems like fatigue). I was amazed when I went to the dentist after about 3 months on synthroid and I didn't leave with a mouth full of blood.

Anyway, hypothyroidism can also cause dry skin, fatigue, and a bunch of other things. Anemia could cause some similar problems. It could be that Joy is simply not getting enough iron in her diet. I wonder what the family history is with hypothyroidism because it's mostly genetic.

She might just be overworked and tired because she's taking over the chores for the older girls. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were something else going on.

In the Duggars' first book, Michelle talked about having very very dry skin. So dry that she has to put Eucerin (if anyone isn't familiar, its very oily and thick) on her face everynight. Since I sit really close to the computer when I watch the episodes, I can see how dry and wrinkly her skin looks. Man she looks old! lol. Okay thats mean. Funny and mean. :P

In the Duggars' first book, Michelle talked about having very very dry skin. So dry that she has to put Eucerin (if anyone isn't familiar, its very oily and thick) on her face everynight. Since I sit really close to the computer when I watch the episodes, I can see how dry and wrinkly her skin looks. Man she looks old! lol. Okay thats mean. Funny and mean. :P

She's what, 45 and has 19 kids? I don't blame her for looking so old. Having dry skin most certainly wouldn't help matters.

Eucerin though... damn. :( Most of my body required it this past winter, I feel her pain. This is why I much prefer summer.

Skin problems are often hereditary, if Joy is suffering from skin problems it wouldn't surprise me at all. For Joy's sake I hope she gets moisturizer. Red eyes could be from any number of things. If FJ's speculation that Ma and Pa follow the Pearls' teachings and that Joy gets into trouble often... not surprising, eh? On the other hand, her eyes may be really dry too, or she may be suffering from allergies, or she's just really worn out. Or all of the above. Hopefully she'll either grow out of all of it, or find a way to treat it.

Archived