IGNORED

Joy Looking pissed? when asked about wanting a big family.

Deleted04

Did anyone notice the look on Joy's face during the GMA interview? She didn't look to happy as Jill and Jinger spoke about having a large family when they are older and being best friends with their siblings. What do you guys think? And I thought they weren't suppossed to worry about how many children they "want" but how many "the lord blesses you with?"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe she's just as annoyed as we are with journalists asking them the *same* questions over and over and over and over again. She's been dragged to these line-up-in-order-of-age-and-spit-canned-answers things all her life!

Maybe it's that Joy is in the middle of a load of boys, but Joy strikes me as the one least likely to follow down her parents route. Jinger seems to have some spirit there but not to the extent of Joy - maybe the koolaid has begun to affect Jinger.

But Joy, she has a lot more spirit than the other older girls. She always seems bored and fed up too whenever the rest of the family is spouting the whole 'quiverful - but we aren't quiverful' bullshit. She's a bit of a tomboy and I really cannot see her being happy in a patriarchal marriage having dozens of children. Joy needs more than that.

Is this online, anywhere? I really don't care about the Duggars except when I hear about a possible opposing view from one of the children!

TIA!

On another forum (it may have been a discovery health one) a woman called shereene said that she is part of the Duggar extended family and that joy does get into trouble often and is not very good at towing the fundy girl line (paraphrased)

On another forum (it may have been a discovery health one) a woman called shereene said that she is part of the Duggar extended family and that joy does get into trouble often and is not very good at towing the fundy girl line (paraphrased)

Yeah, I remember her saying that and that Joy does occasionally wear pants. I don't know why they won't show that on episodes.

Honestly, I think JB and Michelle expect them to be exactly like them with no individual beliefs. I think in Joy's mind, she doesn't want a large family nor does she want to live this particular lifestyle anymore. If she's getting into trouble a lot, it would not surprise me one bit that she's gonna leave this lifestyle behind once she's behind and not look back.

Wasn't this the same interview where Jana looked down when they asked that same question? I found that a bit odd but I could be reading too much into it.

I definitely think Joy is not looking happy these days. It could be just me but her age is a hard time for so many girls and guys. I think that if she is expected to "keep sweet" then she may feel tons of emotion but have not outlet for it.

Joy had been looking mad and tired in every picture I've seen lately. I guess it could just be puberty, but she seems way too worn out for a girl her age. Or it could be that she's taking over a lot of the chores so the older girls can get married, and she's finally realizing just how bad this lifestyle is.

Plus, she might have had to be Josie's sister mom, at least on ocassion, which is a lot for a 13 year old girl to handle. We mostly see Jill & Jana with Josie now, but I remember in the Little Rock episodes there was a lot of Joy being the sister mom. Remember when DQ whistled for her? I'll always remember that when I think of poor Joy.

I didn't notice Joy, but I did noticed that Hannie (?) seemed to be doing the "raise my hand but not enough for it to draw attention to me" when the kids were asked if any of them wanted a small family themselves.

Plus, she might have had to be Josie's sister mom, at least on ocassion, which is a lot for a 13 year old girl to handle. We mostly see Jill & Jana with Josie now, but I remember in the Little Rock episodes there was a lot of Joy being the sister mom. Remember when DQ whistled for her? I'll always remember that when I think of poor Joy.

What? Michelle whistled for Joy? Whistling is for dogs, not children.

Guest Anonymous

What? Michelle whistled for Joy? Whistling is for dogs, not children.

That's assuming you know they're children, a perception that Michelle has been spared.

Joy seems to have a close relationship with Amy, and while I find Amy to be immature, lazy and silly, I can see she does care for Joy and the little ones. Perhaps Joy has been able to realize that Amy can be Christian, have boyfriends and date and not get struck by lightning. While no doubt Amy is used as a known example of what not to do, wonder if any of those Duggar kids think her behaviour and relationships are a better and healthier route to take?

Joy seems to have a close relationship with Amy, and while I find Amy to be immature, lazy and silly, I can see she does care for Joy and the little ones. Perhaps Joy has been able to realize that Amy can be Christian, have boyfriends and date and not get struck by lightning. While no doubt Amy is used as a known example of what not to do, wonder if any of those Duggar kids think her behaviour and relationships are a better and healthier route to take?

I think the children are too brainwashed to know the difference. They've been taught from day one how living a "normal" life can lead you to a rebellious life and will lead you to Hell. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them have questioned it, considering their cousin lives a normal life, but I'm sure deep down they might have this feeling that they could end up in Hell should they choose a "rebellious" path. Considering Sherenee has posted on the Duggar forum how much trouble Joy Anna gets into, maybe she's one of the few who is beginning to question this type of sheltered life.

If that's the case, how come JB and Michelle haven't sent her to one of those Gothard retreat camps yet to "retrain" her into thinking their way? If they, supposedly, sent Jana to one recently, then why not Joy Anna?

Maybe they think she's too young and are giving her time to "adjust"? Assuming she is going through puberty, maybe they allow some time to transition into "being a young lady" in whatever way that means in fundieland.

Could someone link to these trouble posts (or even just one)? I'm a bit curious.

Michelle has said Joy is the most like she was as a girl--tomboy. It's hard to have all those boys surrounding her. They were her only playmates, too.

She doesn't look any more tired than her sisters did at her age. Not sure what the age of consent for makeup is in the Duggar family, but she'll look a lot better when they let her wear it.

She's at that age where everything is either for "babies" or she's not "old enough yet." And, she's denied sports that might help her work out frustration and has to wait in line for the piano which could do the same. Plus, it's obvious they're upping her childcare and housework chores on top of all the traveling cooped up with the whole family in that bus!

I think Joy has been put to work. She has been doing kitchen duty a LOT lately. I think that's her jurisdiction now. Cooking for 20 regularly isn't exactly child's play. I think her childhood has been left behind and she isn't enjoying the "welcome to womanhood, now get to work!" She has nothing ahead of her for the rest of her life but work. Poor kid. What 13 yr old wouldn't be pissed?

When Jinger was her age, she was doing all the eye rolling and so forth, and everybody thought she was the future escapee. Maybe that was just her being pissed over the same circumstances Joy now finds herself in?

It is hard to say what is going with Joy. She could be going through puberty as another poster mentioned which could be effecting her moods. Or maybe she is wise beyond her years and sees that her family's lifestyle is crazy. I hope Joy is first kid to get out of the lifestyle.

Guest Anonymous
I think Joy has been put to work. She has been doing kitchen duty a LOT lately. I think that's her jurisdiction now. Cooking for 20 regularly isn't exactly child's play. I think her childhood has been left behind and she isn't enjoying the "welcome to womanhood, now get to work!" She has nothing ahead of her for the rest of her life but work. Poor kid. What 13 yr old wouldn't be pissed?

When Jinger was her age, she was doing all the eye rolling and so forth, and everybody thought she was the future escapee. Maybe that was just her being pissed over the same circumstances Joy now finds herself in?

If I were her, JimBob would need to keep industrial solvents, ammonia and insecticides under lock and key. And hire a food taster.

Could there be a medical/nutritional reason why her skin appears to be so dry and almost wrinkly? I hate to comment on a child's appearance just for appearance sake, but in this case, between her red eyes and her skin, I wonder if something medically is going on w/ her. Usually puberty brings out the oily skin and the pimples.

She even said that Joy prefers pants to skirts, even though she wears skirts most of the time. (If she likes pants so much, I wonder why she's never seen wearing them. My guess is that it wouldn't be 100% acceptable to her parents.) She also thinks that she would be the one most likely to rebel.

I would love to think that Joy is going to really rebel and write the tell all book (she would be great because she can remember pre-show and talk about how their lives changed post-TLC) but I think Jessa and Jinger have also shown signs of rebelion but came around as they got older.

Archived