IGNORED

A fat person dared to get in my pro-life picture

formergothardite

She looks extremely sad is many of those pictures too. I would take a second glance at someone who looked that sad too.

I got this same vibe from her photos. She also looks uncomfortable in many of them, like she is expecting people to look down on her and feels out of place.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you could enlarge the pictures a bit more to see more detail in the faces of the people. Perhaps there is a reason you can't.

This also might sound wrong, but as an overweight person myself I am going to go ahead and say it. I have no problem with overweight people wearing shorts or anything like that, I kind of draw the line at spandex personally. I think that is better left to the young and thing, but if you weigh 300 pounds and want to squeeze into spandex, more power to you.

I don't think she dresses very nicely, though. Her clothes probably draw even more attention to her weight and frankly, I don't see how they can be comfortable being that tight.

I like my clothes to be loose though, so maybe it's just my personal preference. I would never wear clothes that tight out in public at the weight I am. Even though I don't walk in public, for the most part, I try to dress fairly nicely. I usually wear nice knit slacks and loose fitting tops because that is what *I* am comfortable in.

I am sure people probably have said stuff about me, but I've never heard any comments. They are too busy pushing my wheelchair out of their way and other stuff like that, to worry about my weight perhaps ;) I don't really worry about it. I am happy the way I am. If I lose some weight, I'll be happy with that, too. I'm not going to kill myself trying to do it though, just to make other people who are uncomfortable happy. I don't owe them anything.

When random strangers stop doing all the shit that makes *me* uncomfortable, I'll start losing weight to make them comfortable ;)

Am I the only one who thought of the "I didn't choose the thug life..." meme when they saw Lauralea's book title?

ETA:

otqa8k.jpg

But who's running the bingo room? :D

We'd need a gambling license for Bingo.... but it would bring in lots of cash! I'll put you in charge of bingo!! :D

It's an interesting concept, and I am glad she is addressing an important issue.

But...

I split my time between two major cities. It's fairly annoying to be trying to get on with your daily life and having to dodge oblivious tourists who suddenly stop walking in the middle of the packed pavement and to pull out a huge A to Z or Lonely Planet. This is the vibe I get from her street photos. I'm not convinced that the 'look' she is getting from individuals is aimed at her weight rather than her actions (stopping in the middle of the flow of walkers to look at a map, take a photo, tie her shoe, etc.).

Yeah I agree. I always notice morbidly obese people because we get so few of them in my city. Not people who are just fat like her but I'm talking 100+ kilos overweight. Same as I notice incredibly skinny people (who I see more of, being in Sydney with a highish heroin population near my work).

I know I'm a little bit fat phobic-but only about myself. I don't care what anyone else weights (well actually morbidly obese patients I care because its so hard to mobilise them etc). I have to be skinny. Other people I could care less.

Some of my most fat phobic friends are a little on the bigger side themselves & maybe this is our 19 year old bloggers problem. She fears obesity, because one day she fears she will become obese.

Just a thought.

I wish you could enlarge the pictures a bit more to see more detail in the faces of the people. Perhaps there is a reason you can't.

This also might sound wrong, but as an overweight person myself I am going to go ahead and say it. I have no problem with overweight people wearing shorts or anything like that, I kind of draw the line at spandex personally. I think that is better left to the young and thing, but if you weigh 300 pounds and want to squeeze into spandex, more power to you.

I don't think she dresses very nicely, though. Her clothes probably draw even more attention to her weight and frankly, I don't see how they can be comfortable being that tight.

I like my clothes to be loose though, so maybe it's just my personal preference. I would never wear clothes that tight out in public at the weight I am. Even though I don't walk in public, for the most part, I try to dress fairly nicely. I usually wear nice knit slacks and loose fitting tops because that is what *I* am comfortable in.

I am sure people probably have said stuff about me, but I've never heard any comments. They are too busy pushing my wheelchair out of their way and other stuff like that, to worry about my weight perhaps ;) I don't really worry about it. I am happy the way I am. If I lose some weight, I'll be happy with that, too. I'm not going to kill myself trying to do it though, just to make other people who are uncomfortable happy. I don't owe them anything.

When random strangers stop doing all the shit that makes *me* uncomfortable, I'll start losing weight to make them comfortable ;)

I hope I didn't come off as saying that she shouldn't wear shorts. I was attempting to say that I think her choice in clothing was what set her apart from the people in the background, especially in the New York photos. Everyone around her is wearing pants, and she is dressed like she is ready to go to the beach.

There is nothing wrong with how she is dressing, if she is comfortable. (Although I personally would rethink those shoes.) However, she looks uncomfortable. I bet anything, at least in New York, that if she wore clothes that were appropriate for the weather and fit her correctly, and if she wasn't doing things to deliberately draw attention to herself, no one would notice her. At least that is MY experience with big and even medium cities. People have things to do, and are generally not paying attention to random strangers - unless those strangers are drawing attention to themselves or being rude, or look like they are on the verge of suicide. It's the smaller towns (usually the ones that claim to be full of 'good people') where people care enough to be judge mental assholes to people they don't know.

There is nothing wrong with how she is dressing, if she is comfortable. (Although I personally would rethink those shoes.) However, she looks uncomfortable. I bet anything, at least in New York, that if she wore clothes that were appropriate for the weather and fit her correctly, and if she wasn't doing things to deliberately draw attention to herself, no one would notice her. At least that is MY experience with big and even medium cities. People have things to do, and are generally not paying attention to random strangers - unless those strangers are drawing attention to themselves or being rude, or look like they are on the verge of suicide. It's the smaller towns (usually the ones that claim to be full of 'good people') where people care enough to be judge mental assholes to people they don't know.

That has been my experience generally too. I have often heard advice not to dress/look like a tourist when you travel because it makes you less likely to be a victim of crime (for example, wearing a passport holder necklace in plain view is an obvious bulls-eye). I wonder if maybe the same thing is going on here. I think the concept is interesting and it's a good idea to confront fat-phobia, but I have to wonder if even if she is not purposefully drawing attention to herself, she's setting herself up for that by setting up the tripod in the middle of a busy sidewalk, not acting like a local (what you said about how she dresses), etc.

I think there's a better photoset about how thin people feel free to look at us at Fat Heffalump. The subject is wearing comfortable, seasonable clothing and her hair is kicky pink. She is sitting on a bench, eating, reading, or texting, as one does. She is not making sadface or dressing like a tourist--she's in her own city. And the looks on people's faces--!

ETA: Here's the link: http://fatheffalump.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -snickers/

I think there's a better photoset about how thin people feel free to look at us at Fat Heffalump. The subject is wearing comfortable, seasonable clothing and her hair is kicky pink. She is sitting on a bench, eating, reading, or texting, as one does. She is not making sadface or dressing like a tourist--she's in her own city. And the looks on people's faces--!

I often feel embarrassed to eat in public because of the stares and sometimes downright abuse I have had, because as a fat person I have dared to eat in front of others. I'm trying to work on it but it's really hard. Sometimes even if I'm really hungry, I will go from eatery to eatery to find a more empty place to eat.

I hope I didn't come off as saying that she shouldn't wear shorts. I was attempting to say that I think her choice in clothing was what set her apart from the people in the background, especially in the New York photos. Everyone around her is wearing pants, and she is dressed like she is ready to go to the beach.

I had to go back and re-read your comment because I hadn't even noticed you had mentioned her clothes. What I said wasn't directed at anything you said and I'm sorry if it came across that way. It was just my own observation after looking at the photos.

I live in an area where you will see very large women wearing short shorts :shock: It's a little um... TMI sometimes ;) I've seen women that are morbidly obese (and I probably fall very close to that area, so I'm not fat shaming, but you will never see me in these types of outfits..ever) women in a one piece bathing suit with short shorts on at the grocery store, in unitards, in all kinds of spandex, in mini skirts, in "skinny jeans", in regular clothes that are just 2 sizes too small.

One the one hand you want to say, "you go girl" for feeling confident enough to dress that way (except I don't need really want to be your gynecologist, so maybe undies are in order in public), but on the other you can't really blame a person for looking at you if you are going to dress in a somewhat attention getting way.

I agree with you, Maggie, that is what this woman is doing. In several of the photos, her clothes do not look comfortable and she does not look comfortable. Maybe they are and it's my own preference that I'm reading into it. I admittedly do not like tight clothing AT ALL. In some of the photos, she is nicely dressed in pretty clothes that fit nicely, but then she is doing something else to draw attention to herself.

I have been to NYC twice and am obese and in a wheelchair and you'd think that would be "attention getting," but I've never had any kinds of unwanted attention due to my weight (that I'm aware of). The wheelchair is more of an issue for people, it seems like. I will say that NYC is one of the most wheelchair friendly cities in terms of businesses accommodating you that I've ever been to. Every place we went there was amazing dealing with the chair and the Empire State Building was so nice to my whole group. In terms of people on the street though, I can't say I noticed anyone paying any attention to me or my group. I kind of have an advantage in the people watching area because I get to just sit and observe while my husband does all the work (he's scared to let me have a power chair for some reason :shifty-kitty: ).

My husband is a seasoned big city walker and he gets nearly homicidal when people stop right in front of him/us and pull out a map or take a picture or make a call or whatever because he's walking at a certain pace (particularly if he's pushing the wheelchair), so someone suddenly stopping right in front of him to navel gaze is the equivalent of suddenly slamming on your brakes, with no notice, in a car. You are taking a chance on getting rear ended.

I think these pictures are a bit better, to be honest. They are more "organic" if that makes sense. She does not have a camera set up somewhere, but had someone that was blending in taking the pictures, so there was no tripod to draw people's attention. She was just sitting in one place, doing what people do. Not blocking pedestrian traffic with a big ass map. Not looking like someone killed her puppy. You can actually tell the people are, indeed, looking at *her* and not the tripod or something else around her.

I think these pictures have a greater impact, personally.

I just started reading this blog from the beginning when you(?) posted the link earlier in this thread. I'm enjoying it, though I haven't had much time to read very much yet.

Curious: how likely is it, do you suppose, that part of the reason you don't get Fat Looks is that people think "well, she can't help it, she's in a wheelchair so obviously there's something wrong and she can't exercise"?

Curious: how likely is it, do you suppose, that part of the reason you don't get Fat Looks is that people think "well, she can't help it, she's in a wheelchair so obviously there's something wrong and she can't exercise"?

I suppose it could be partly that, yes. I have been overweight longer than I've been in a wheelchair, though. I have gained some weight since I've been disabled. I have never been one to regularly weigh myself, but if I go from when I was pregnant and they weigh you all the time, I've gained maybe approximately 50 pounds in 20 years. I've been disabled for 17 of those years.

Prior to being disabled, I don't think I really had people do any of the things that these 2 women have had happen. I'd say my weight was probably similar to the Wait Watchers lady, though I carry it a little differently. My extremities are not particularly large, I carried mostly in my stomach and ass. Things have shifted a bit over the years, but that's still my primary problem areas.

I was also living in the midwest then, which may account for some differences in attitude. I will say that to my knowledge my weight has never stopped me from doing anything I've wanted to do. I have not been passed over for jobs I was trying to get or anything like that, for example. In fact, I had a job created specifically for me after I interned, so I had a job waiting for me when I got out of college.

I think partly it's attitude. I am pretty comfortable with my weight. It's the way it is and I am not going to starve myself to make someone else happy. I do not eat a lot (this month I've eaten 18614 calories total) and really never have. I'm actually a pretty picky eater and have a bunch of strange food rules. I started gaining weight as a child and rather than looking into reasons why that might be, drs. (I lived in a small town) just assumed I was a fat, lazy pig and took every opportunity to harass me about my weight. I could go to a dr. for a hangnail and they would tell me it was my weight. After a while, I just quite caring about it because it didn't matter what I did or didn't do.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid a few years ago, which I take meds for now.

The only time I really feel like people may be looking at me is at the pool when I'm doing my pool therapy, but that is in my head for the most part. I think kids probably watch me a bit, but that could be because I'm using noodles and other various equipment as much as my weight. I'm just not comfortable in a swimming suit, but I'm getting better about it. There are oodles of over weight people at the center I use, so it's not like I'm one fat person in a sea of super skinny people and I really stand out.

For anyone that is overweight and has trouble exercising, if you can find a community center or some place that has a heated indoor pool it's a great way to exercise and it's very easy on you. I can do 90 minutes easily. I usually do 1 hour of my therapy exercises (which would be good for anyone..it's just stretching mostly) and then I walk the other 30, because...I can ;)

I think these pictures are a bit better, to be honest. They are more "organic" if that makes sense. She does not have a camera set up somewhere, but had someone that was blending in taking the pictures, so there was no tripod to draw people's attention. She was just sitting in one place, doing what people do. Not blocking pedestrian traffic with a big ass map. Not looking like someone killed her puppy. You can actually tell the people are, indeed, looking at *her* and not the tripod or something else around her.

I think these pictures have a greater impact, personally.

I just started reading this blog from the beginning when you(?) posted the link earlier in this thread. I'm enjoying it, though I haven't had much time to read very much yet.

I would like to see this up against some comparative shots. For example, a thin person with the same color hair wearing the same clothes. Because my eye was really drawn to what she was wearing in the pictures. I would also love to see someone of the same body type sitting in the same place eating, but wearing less eye catching clothing and with toned down hair.

Loving Fat Heffalump's blog.

WRT that photo essay, I imagine that most people would see a thin person wearing that dotted tunic and pink hair as cute and artsy.

A bigger person would get flack about being "too old for that," etc.

First = I am overweight, by about 100 lbs.

Second = I went to the link and looked at the pictures. I was going to reply by saying: "I think at least some of the people are staring because of the bright hair color, and maybe not necessarily because of her weight."

Then I read this in the same link:

But what is most offensive is the routine denial of those experiences, as though we are either imagining the stares, disapproving/disgusted looks, the nudging and pointing and laughter, or they are somehow our fault. Having our experiences dismissed is actually part of the systematic oppression of fat people. Portraying us as overly sensitive, or imagining the way we are treated is also a form of abuse. It labels us as “deluded†or emotionally damaged. It is ironic, many of us do have emotional damage, not because we are fat, but because of the way society treats us as fat people, which includes the regular dismissal of our experiences.

So I, as a fat person myself, was prepared to excuse at least some of the looks as "they're just staring at her hair" and in effect, dismiss the idea that these looks are based much more so on her weight.

I have never heard anyone making a comment about my weight in public; nor overtly glaring at me because they disapprove of my weight. However, time and again in check out lines the clerk that was just being very friendly and chatty with the one or two people she/he waited on before me, suddenly has nothing to say to me. Why? Is it the way I look? Am I unattractive, or just too fat to talk to? Since I don't really know for sure why, I have developed the skill to ignore the behavior. They don't say anything to me, and I pointedly don't say anything to them. I just stare until they feel forced to say, "uh, did you find everything you needed today?"

I wear clothes that make me feel pretty - so that's mostly flowing tops in colors I like. Reminiscent of Stevie Nicks. And when I'm feeling self-conscious or nervous about a social or public situation, I remind myself to just own it. Pretend I'm Rebel Wilson's aunt, and full of her sass.

I'd much rather be my nearly 50-year old wiser self than a judgmental, ignorant 19 year old girl any day.

First = I am overweight, by about 100 lbs.

Second = I went to the link and looked at the pictures. I was going to reply by saying: "I think at least some of the people are staring because of the bright hair color, and maybe not necessarily because of her weight."

Then I read this in the same link:

But what is most offensive is the routine denial of those experiences, as though we are either imagining the stares, disapproving/disgusted looks, the nudging and pointing and laughter, or they are somehow our fault. Having our experiences dismissed is actually part of the systematic oppression of fat people. Portraying us as overly sensitive, or imagining the way we are treated is also a form of abuse. It labels us as “deluded†or emotionally damaged. It is ironic, many of us do have emotional damage, not because we are fat, but because of the way society treats us as fat people, which includes the regular dismissal of our experiences.

So I, as a fat person myself, was prepared to excuse at least some of the looks as "they're just staring at her hair" and in effect, dismiss the idea that these looks are based much more so on her weight.

I have never heard anyone making a comment about my weight in public; nor overtly glaring at me because they disapprove of my weight. However, time and again in check out lines the clerk that was just being very friendly and chatty with the one or two people she/he waited on before me, suddenly has nothing to say to me. Why? Is it the way I look? Am I unattractive, or just too fat to talk to? Since I don't really know for sure why, I have developed the skill to ignore the behavior. They don't say anything to me, and I pointedly don't say anything to them. I just stare until they feel forced to say, "uh, did you find everything you needed today?"

I wear clothes that make me feel pretty - so that's mostly flowing tops in colors I like. Reminiscent of Stevie Nicks. And when I'm feeling self-conscious or nervous about a social or public situation, I remind myself to just own it. Pretend I'm Rebel Wilson's aunt, and full of her sass.

I'd much rather be my nearly 50-year old wiser self than a judgmental, ignorant 19 year old girl any day.

I don't disagree with her here, but I have to say - even if she was a person with average weight, people would look at the adult woman wearing purple leggings, yellow socks, a shiny, bright polka dot top, two different colored shoes, and hot pink hair. There are very few jobs & neighborhoods where dressing like that would just be overlooked. If you don't want to be noticed, don't dress like you want to be noticed. If a hollywood celebrity wore that outfit, people would talk about it. And some of the people who were photographed looking at a fat person, were just looking at a person. I can't tell if they are staring, because it's a still photo and only captures a moment. I can't tell if they are looking past her, either, because the photo is taken so it just frames what she wants us to see.

I don't deny that people do stare and give disapproving looks at morbidly obese people. It's mean, and it's wrong. But I also know that some people stare and give disapproving looks to homeless people, and to people who are wearing brown shoes with black pants. To people who are very very thin. To people who aren't of a particular ethnicity; to people who are bald or have long hair; to people who are short or abnormally tall. There is prejudice against everything.

So I guess I just don't know what she wants - to be ignored completely? If she wants that, everything about the photo is telling the people around her to do the opposite. I don't see anyone else with bright bright unnatural hair. I don't know what the people are saying to her either, if anything. Maybe this message would be better served with a normal, non attention seeking person, who uses a series of hidden video cameras.

I find the idea of being stared at while eating in public interesting. I have been 80lbs overweight (and very possibly more; but my highest recorded weight is 80lbs higher than now), and find that people don't treat me any differently now as opposed to then. Perhaps it's the everyone-knows-everyone effect of living in a small town? Not sure.

I don't disagree with her here, but I have to say - even if she was a person with average weight, people would look at the adult woman wearing purple leggings, yellow socks, a shiny, bright polka dot top, two different colored shoes, and hot pink hair. There are very few jobs & neighborhoods where dressing like that would just be overlooked. If you don't want to be noticed, don't dress like you want to be noticed. If a hollywood celebrity wore that outfit, people would talk about it. And some of the people who were photographed looking at a fat person, were just looking at a person. I can't tell if they are staring, because it's a still photo and only captures a moment. I can't tell if they are looking past her, either, because the photo is taken so it just frames what she wants us to see.

I don't deny that people do stare and give disapproving looks at morbidly obese people. It's mean, and it's wrong. But I also know that some people stare and give disapproving looks to homeless people, and to people who are wearing brown shoes with black pants. To people who are very very thin. To people who aren't of a particular ethnicity; to people who are bald or have long hair; to people who are short or abnormally tall. There is prejudice against everything.

So I guess I just don't know what she wants - to be ignored completely? If she wants that, everything about the photo is telling the people around her to do the opposite. I don't see anyone else with bright bright unnatural hair. I don't know what the people are saying to her either, if anything. Maybe this message would be better served with a normal, non attention seeking person, who uses a series of hidden video cameras.

Maybe it's just cultural, but I was brought up to not stare at anyone regardless of body shape, looks or status. It's rude, period. Her outfit does not give everyone an excuse to stare at her. It is not being 'attention seeking' to dress in bright clothes or to expect the common courtesy of not being stared at. If I was eating lunch on a bench in town, then yeah I would want to be ignored because I'm just eating lunch. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, but it just comes across as you saying how dare she dress in the clothes of her choice and expected to be treated the same as everyone else - which really is no different from the Modesty Survey crap.

Maybe it's just cultural, but I was brought up to not stare at anyone regardless of body shape, looks or status. It's rude, period. Her outfit does not give everyone an excuse to stare at her. It is not being 'attention seeking' to dress in bright clothes or to expect the common courtesy of not being stared at. If I was eating lunch on a bench in town, then yeah I would want to be ignored because I'm just eating lunch. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, but it just comes across as you saying how dare she dress in the clothes of her choice and expected to be treated the same as everyone else - which really is no different from the Modesty Survey crap.

I think there is a difference between a quick look at a person where attention grabbing clothing (or perhaps just clothing you like so you take a longer look for that reason), whether they are thin, average or overweight and this for example:

post-132-14451997852407_thumb.jpg

The lady walking by in this picture has what I would call a grimace on her face. I would take that as a disapproving look or maybe even a look of disgust if it was directed at me. We have no way of knowing for certain, but based on this particular image, it certainly looks like it's being directed at Kath.

I said it's wrong to stare. Or at least I meant to say that. But I don't think that she is correct by claiming that the people who are looking at her (I can't tell from the photos if someone is staring or not) solely because she is larger than average.

But the way I'm reading this blog is that she doesn't want anyone to even look at her, or notice her. Yet, she dresses in a manner that is going to get attention.

Sorry, you are in public, and you will be seen. Her outfit draws more attention to her than, say, the woman next to her with the solid green shirt and black shorts, and sandals.

I just don't know what the fuck she wants - people will treat each other differently based on appearance. People nit pick each other for stupid stuff. Is it right? Not really. Is it hurtful? Yes. But her photo essay doesn't change my mind that she is an attention seeking person who is very self centered. I get that she feels great about her body. I like that she is confident enough to rock the hair and not care. But I do not understand why anyone would deliberately make herself so flamboyant and then complain when people look at her.

I think there is a difference between a quick look at a person where attention grabbing clothing (or perhaps just clothing you like so you take a longer look for that reason), whether they are thin, average or overweight and this for example:

[attachment=0]kathqsm-28.jpg[/attachment]

The lady walking by in this picture has what I would call a grimace on her face. I would take that as a disapproving look or maybe even a look of disgust if it was directed at me. We have no way of knowing for certain, but based on this particular image, it certainly looks like it's being directed at Kath.

See, I don't know what it is directed at. I don't even know that it's a deliberate "look" on her face, or the intention behind it. I don't know if the person who created this photo is manipulating people into making faces by sitting in front of anything or what HER face is saying, because all of the photos are from the back or side. But it seems to me that there are an awful lot of conclusions being drawn from the authors bias.

[attachment=0]kathqsm-28.jpg[/attachment]

I wouldn't say that people don't judge others based on weight/appearance but it's hard to say that all those people are judging her based on the pictures. I know people who look like that (grimacing) when the sun is in their face or they are walking fast.

Re: The Wait Watchers photos: I agree with what a lot of people have said, that it's really, really hard to prove that any of the people in the photographs are looking at her and judging/shaming her. Most likely she's getting attention for looking like a tourist, looking really sad and dejected, getting in people's way, etc. if in fact the people are paying any attention to her at all. I say that as a pretty average-sized woman who has a tendency toward...paranoia I suppose. I don't like speeches or presentations because I am sure that the looks in peoples eyes are those of judgement when people could just be lost in thought, etc. And sometimes in public I'll see people laughing over something and think, "oh, they must be laughing at me" until I realize I am just being paranoid.

I do feel for Haley, because despite how she says she has accepted herself, it comes across like she has internalized a lot of shame. And so she finds it and then reads it in even if it's not there.

It was an interesting photo concept but unfortunately doesn't actually work so well.

If people here watch What Would You Do, I think it would be interesting and more effective for them to set up a scenario with an obese person in someplace like a restaurant to see how people respond.

Archived